2016 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
UnlikeUday

2016 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by UnlikeUday »

The final battle to settle the war.

Anything is possible tomorrow.

Am expecting great battles throughout the field.
Feel The Fourth

rivf1

Re: 2016 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by rivf1 »

Really it should be an easy 1/2 for mercedes, they are in a different stratosphere compared to the rest. Yeah should be some really good racing with the rest of the field though.

davidheath461

Post by davidheath461 »

As long as Merc don't mess up the start, it should be easy for them.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

At least half a second up on everyone else. Both Mercs aren't going to be troubled by anything other than mechanical failure

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Zoue wrote:At least half a second up on everyone else. Both Mercs aren't going to be troubled by anything other than mechanical failure
That's what is the 'Joker' situation. It could happen to either driver to decide the title.

Maybe Red Bull or Ferrari can create an impact.

Nothing wrong in being hypothetical.
Feel The Fourth

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

The counter strategy from Red Bull is really the only hope for mixing up things in the title battle. The long runs for Red Bull on the SS were a lot better than the US so the second running Mercedes will come under some pressure I think, especially if Lewis is running first and controls the pace from there.

But Max will have to have an absolute Brazil-like stormer of a race though to get involved. I don't think the Ferrari's have the race pace but you never know.

Still think it could get interesting.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

It will be closer in the race but still Mercedes should have 1-2 in normal circumstances. Ferrari and RBR race will be more interesting.
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

SmoothRide

Post by SmoothRide »

I am wondering whether Hamilton is going to try to keep the pace as slow as possible in order to back Rosberg into the Red Bulls and Ferraris. It's a bit of an underhanded move, but it's the only way he can directly influence the outcome.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

SmoothRide wrote:I am wondering whether Hamilton is going to try to keep the pace as slow as possible in order to back Rosberg into the Red Bulls and Ferraris. It's a bit of an underhanded move, but it's the only way he can directly influence the outcome.
It's a tactic that has such a high risk attached to it that I doubt he will be implementing it. To be honest, the odds are that stacked against him that he is better off just bolting from the front and leaving it in the lap of the gods, holding up his end by winning the race.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

spiritone

Post by spiritone »

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/136763-wou ... rosberg-up

Does that mean if rosberg is running fourth they won't change strategy to help him?

SmoothRide

Post by SmoothRide »

Flash2k11 wrote:
SmoothRide wrote:I am wondering whether Hamilton is going to try to keep the pace as slow as possible in order to back Rosberg into the Red Bulls and Ferraris. It's a bit of an underhanded move, but it's the only way he can directly influence the outcome.
It's a tactic that has such a high risk attached to it that I doubt he will be implementing it. To be honest, the odds are that stacked against him that he is better off just bolting from the front and leaving it in the lap of the gods, holding up his end by winning the race.
At the worst Lewis will finish 2nd in the WDC so there is nothing to lose really. The only damage might be to his reputation, but even the greatest drivers have done dodgy things in order to win. There is maybe 5% chance that Rosberg will have a mechanical issue and he will almost certainly finish an easy 2nd under normal circumstances. From the article quoted above, it looks like Horner shares the view that Lewis should stack up the field, although he obviously has selfish reasons for wanting that. It gives his drivers a better shot at stealing a win.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

SmoothRide wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
At the worst Lewis will finish 2nd in the WDC so there is nothing to lose really. The only damage might be to his reputation, but even the greatest drivers have done dodgy things in order to win. There is maybe 5% chance that Rosberg will have a mechanical issue and he will almost certainly finish an easy 2nd under normal circumstances. From the article quoted above, it looks like Horner shares the view that Lewis should stack up the field, although he obviously has selfish reasons for wanting that. It gives his drivers a better shot at stealing a win.

To be honest mate, i'd say thats precisely the reason he has everything to lose. Playing silly *inaudible* with Rosberg could lead to him getting passed on track/Merc swap em in the pits with strategy to punish him for being an idiot. If he wins it he has done all he can do on his side.

Im mega hyped for it, though chances are it really will be a processional 1-2 to the line. Be interesting to see if Rosberg gets remotely racy if given the chance though.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Kev627

Post by Kev627 »

Personally I can't see Rosberg even thinking about pushing for the win. I can see a boring race from the Mercs, Hamilton storming off to a dominant win and Rosberg simply playing it safe and bringing the car home second and taking the WDC.

MasterRacer

Post by MasterRacer »

Flash2k11 wrote:
Yep all Nico has to do is lunge and slice Hamilton's rear tyre and that puts an immediate end to the go slow games. Hamilton will be much better off driving into the sunset (if he really can, and I have my doubts) and hope something goes for him further back.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

MasterRacer wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Yep all Nico has to do is lunge and slice Hamilton's rear tyre and that puts an immediate end to the go slow games. Hamilton will be much better off driving into the sunset (if he really can, and I have my doubts) and hope something goes for him further back.
Is that all Nico has to do? I doubt he will just lunge and why would he risk it? He could end his own race and Hamilton comes off ok.
Both Mercs will simply drive of into the distance. Hamilton's best chance is to hold up Rosberg early in the race when the pack is close and no DRS.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

SR1

Post by SR1 »

Kev627 wrote:Personally I can't see Rosberg even thinking about pushing for the win. I can see a boring race from the Mercs, Hamilton storming off to a dominant win and Rosberg simply playing it safe and bringing the car home second and taking the WDC.
Rosberg "I want to win and I'll give it everything to finish the season on a high".

Whichever Merc emerges ahead out of turn 1 will win. Any efforts to overhaul the leading car is almost futile. Unfortunately, that’s usual story with these Mercs.

So my guess, he'll go all out in the battle to turn 1. If he can get a good start and come out ahead, he'll win the race.

But if he loses out to Hamilton in the battle to turn 1, he'll batten down the hatches and consolidate bringing the car home in 2nd.

mds

Post by mds »

spiritone wrote:http://www.racer.com/f1/item/136763-wou ... rosberg-up

Does that mean if rosberg is running fourth they won't change strategy to help him?
No. They won't change anything so they'll try to get a 1-2 like always. Of course they'll try to engineer him past any non-Mercs in front of him if they happen to be there.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

MasterRacer

Post by MasterRacer »

F1_Ernie wrote: Is that all Nico has to do? I doubt he will just lunge and why would he risk it? He could end his own race and Hamilton comes off ok.
Both Mercs will simply drive of into the distance. Hamilton's best chance is to hold up Rosberg early in the race when the pack is close and no DRS.
If Hamilton is backing Nico up into trouble then he'll have a reason to take a risk. I agree with you though, Hamilton isn't going to be stupid. He'll go for the win and see what happens further back. I expect an easy 1-2 for the Mercedes team and I genuinely hope Hamilton be as graceful as Nico was when Hamilton won his championships (Nico went out celebrating with Hamilton and the team after he lost the championship)

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

If Lewis is too slow, Nico would overtake him, either in pits or on track. Abu Dhabi is probably last track where you can expected some chaotic race. Honestly (I'm drunk) Nico can always accidentally.... ram into Hamilton while trying to overtake him.
eeee

Randine

Post by Randine »

dizlexik wrote:
If Lewis is too slow, Nico would overtake him, either in pits or on track. Abu Dhabi is probably last track where you can expected some chaotic race. Honestly (I'm drunk) Nico can always accidentally.... ram into Hamilton while trying to overtake him.
I think that I'd call that move the Schumacher.
That is a high risk strategy. The rear of the car is stronger than the front for sure. You would have to hope you do enough damage to force Ham to retire or at least pit with a puncture. Nico could take himself out and hand it to Ham.

It should be an easy 1-2 for Merc.
Rosberg may think about going soft into corner 1, and follow in 2nd. However this may let Ricciardo and the fast starting Ferrari's in play. However Merc had 0.8 sec over Dan in Q3 so they should easily be able to get back 2nd over race distance.

If Nico wins it, Ham will become the only world champion on the grid who has had a team mate that has won a title when they are in the same car. (And Nico too)
I think Ham can hold his head high and put the loss down to luck (over a season) rather than poor driving. He will come out stronger in 2017.

If Ham wins it, Nico will probably never recover mentally.
Dan the man!

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Randine wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
I think that I'd call that move the Schumacher.
That is a high risk strategy. The rear of the car is stronger than the front for sure. You would have to hope you do enough damage to force Ham to retire or at least pit with a puncture. Nico could take himself out and hand it to Ham.

It should be an easy 1-2 for Merc.
Rosberg may think about going soft into corner 1, and follow in 2nd. However this may let Ricciardo and the fast starting Ferrari's in play. However Merc had 0.8 sec over Dan in Q3 so they should easily be able to get back 2nd over race distance.

If Nico wins it, Ham will become the only world champion on the grid who has had a team mate that has won a title when they are in the same car. (And Nico too)
I think Ham can hold his head high and put the loss down to luck (over a season) rather than poor driving. He will come out stronger in 2017.

If Ham wins it, Nico will probably never recover mentally.
Keep in mind that nose is easily swappable. The rear not so much. But more seriously there isn't much that Lewis can do now. If Lewis tries to be slow he might risk being overtaken by Rosberg or Nico will just use strategy to ensure 2nd place or even win and similarly Red Bull might try to outsmart Lewis (and Nico) if Lewis is slow and somehow holds Nico behind and then it's still game over for Lewis, because I'm not sure what Lewis needs if someone else wins the race.
eeee

Xink

Post by Xink »

A couple of years ago when Lewis was ahead of Nico going into the final race - The same question was being asked
"Will Nico try and back Lewis up into the field" ?

It isn't going to happen, once the race has settled as Lewis will quite likely be overtaken on one of the long straights - almost as comical as the post on here a few weeks ago "Will it rain in Dubai" :nod:

IF any gamesmanship is going to be deployed - It's going to be down at turn 1 where I'm sure Lewis will have more than one eye on Nico's position - If they are close together something may happen - But I'm sure Lewis' main priority will be holding and maintaining P1
25/05/2005

"It’s lights out and away we go”

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Xink wrote:A couple of years ago when Lewis was ahead of Nico going into the final race - The same question was being asked
"Will Nico try and back Lewis up into the field" ?

It isn't going to happen, once the race has settled as Lewis will quite likely be overtaken on one of the long straights - almost as comical as the post on here a few weeks ago "Will it rain in Dubai" :nod:

IF any gamesmanship is going to be deployed - It's going to be down at turn 1 where I'm sure Lewis will have more than one eye on Nico's position - If they are close together something may happen - But I'm sure Lewis' main priority will be holding and maintaining P1
Nico never had the chance to back Lewis up a couple of years ago.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

MasterRacer wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote: Is that all Nico has to do? I doubt he will just lunge and why would he risk it? He could end his own race and Hamilton comes off ok.
If Hamilton is backing Nico up into trouble then he'll have a reason to take a risk. I agree with you though, Hamilton isn't going to be stupid. He'll go for the win and see what happens further back. I expect an easy 1-2 for the Mercedes team and I genuinely hope Hamilton be as graceful as Nico was when Hamilton won his championships (Nico went out celebrating with Hamilton and the team after he lost the championship)
What's being graceful got anything to do? As long as he throws a cap I'm sure it will be fine ;)

The only slim chance Hamilton has of the title is backing Rosberg up at the start. Like Button said you either go away in the distance win the race and settle for second in the championship or try something to win the championship.
Backing Rosberg up would put his mind frame with the pressure all over the place, does he try to overtake while watching the cars behind. Merc won't allow it anyway so it's a non issue.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Randine

Post by Randine »

F1_Ernie wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
What's being graceful got anything to do? As long as he throws a cap I'm sure it will be fine ;)

The only slim chance Hamilton has of the title is backing Rosberg up at the start. Like Button said you either go away in the distance win the race and settle for second in the championship or try something to win the championship.
Backing Rosberg up would put his mind frame with the pressure all over the place, does he try to overtake while watching the cars behind. Merc won't allow it anyway so it's a non issue.
Then a mechanic fumbling at his first pit stop will put Rosberg in the lead...

There is nothing in the rules to prevent backing someone up. (Eg Webber in his 2nd Monaco Win, where he backed up the whole field and just nailed the last corner onto the straight to prevent overtaking)

Merc have the constructors in the bag, and they say their drivers are free to race.
I hope they let them do what they want except cause an accident.

1 thing looks certain and that is that Merc lost 3 races in 2014 and 2015, but only 2 in 2016.
On paper that looks like they have been more dominant, but I think this year has been the closest since the hybrid engines were introduced. I can't wait for next year!
Dan the man!

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Flash2k11 wrote:
If he were to back Rosberg into the Red Bulls & if he were to win with Rosberg 4th or lower, the implementations would be very bad for Hamilton.

Firstly, he would get backlash from the fans in general for not being sporting. Secondly, Rosberg would be too up& may even want to leave Mercedes, unless the Mercedes management interferes & takes matters in their own hands.

Hamilton only should try winning & hope Rosberg's engine also gives him enough trouble as it has done to Hamilton this year.
Feel The Fourth

MasterRacer

Post by MasterRacer »

F1_Ernie wrote: The only slim chance Hamilton has of the title is backing Rosberg up at the start. Like Button said you either go away in the distance win the race and settle for second in the championship or try something to win the championship.
Trying something is unlikely to improve his relationship with the rest of the Mercedes team for next season.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Qualifying for 2016:

Mercedes Lewis Hamilton 12-9 Nico Rosberg
Ferrari Sebastian Vettel 10-11 Kimi Raikkonen
Red Bull Daniel Ricciardo 11-6 Max Verstappen
Force India Sergio Perez 9-12 Nico Hulkenberg
Renault Kevin Magnussen 11-8 Jolyon Palmer
Toro Rosso Daniil Kvyat 5-11 Carlos Sainz
Sauber Marcus Ericsson 12-7 Felipe Nasr
McLaren Jenson Button 5-15 Fernando Alonso
Manor Pascal Wehrlein 7-2 Esteban Ocon
Haas Romain Grosjean 11-9 Esteban Gutierrez
Williams Felipe Massa 4-17 Valtteri Bottas
Feel The Fourth

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

MasterRacer wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote: The only slim chance Hamilton has of the title is backing Rosberg up at the start. Like Button said you either go away in the distance win the race and settle for second in the championship or try something to win the championship.
Trying something is unlikely to improve his relationship with the rest of the Mercedes team for next season.
How do you know he has a bad relationship? They might get on really well already. People would expect Hamilton to try something, that's what sportsman and fighters do.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Randine wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

Then a mechanic fumbling at his first pit stop will put Rosberg in the lead...

There is nothing in the rules to prevent backing someone up. (Eg Webber in his 2nd Monaco Win, where he backed up the whole field and just nailed the last corner onto the straight to prevent overtaking)

Merc have the constructors in the bag, and they say their drivers are free to race.
I hope they let them do what they want except cause an accident.

1 thing looks certain and that is that Merc lost 3 races in 2014 and 2015, but only 2 in 2016.
On paper that looks like they have been more dominant, but I think this year has been the closest since the hybrid engines were introduced. I can't wait for next year!
A risk worth taking in my eyes. Merc won't let Hamilton do it anyway if he is leading at any part of the Grand Prix.

I really hope Redbull can equal or beat Mercedes next year, we need two or more teams fighting it out rather than every race weekend seeing the same two cars on the front row.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

lamo

Post by lamo »

Enjoy the race everybody!

I can't believe I am going to miss it, I'm an Arsenal season ticket holder so I am at the football, hopefully a good race!

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

lamo wrote:Enjoy the race everybody!

I can't believe I am going to miss it, I'm an Arsenal season ticket holder so I am at the football, hopefully a good race!
No way! Well you can't miss the Arsenal game with the highest prices in the league ;)

Enjoy the game! Come on Ake, do Chelsea a favour :twisted:
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Does Lee McKenzie do coverage for both Sky and Channel 4? 8O That is the first time I've noticed someone do some coverage for both. Sky just showed a clip of McKezie interviewing Rosberg and Hamilton. I thought she only did stuff for Channel 4.

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

lamo wrote:Enjoy the race everybody!

I'll be flicking over the match every now and then but the F1 season finale has to take preference over being an Arsenal fan today!
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:Does Lee McKenzie do coverage for both Sky and Channel 4? 8O That is the first time I've noticed someone do some coverage for both. Sky just showed a clip of McKezie interviewing Rosberg and Hamilton. I thought she only did stuff for Channel 4.
I think it was more McKenzie was doing the drivers parade, I'm sure they only have one presenter doing it? I remember seeing Herbert doing it a lot.
It would be the same with the drivers interviews on the podium if DC or Brundle was doing them.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

F1_Ernie wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:Does Lee McKenzie do coverage for both Sky and Channel 4? 8O That is the first time I've noticed someone do some coverage for both. Sky just showed a clip of McKezie interviewing Rosberg and Hamilton. I thought she only did stuff for Channel 4.
I think it was more McKenzie was doing the drivers parade, I'm sure they only have one presenter doing it? I remember seeing Herbert doing it a lot.
It would be the same with the drivers interviews on the podium if DC or Brundle was doing them.
Ah, ok. It's a bit like the interview on the podiums then I suppose as that is often a Sky or Channel 4 presenter.

McPrancingBull

Post by McPrancingBull »

From Brundle : Hamilton has been told if he's tris to back Rosberg up in the pack they will pit Nico first.
So how can he possibly win the championship today if he's not allowed to try the only thing that might help him .??..
McLaren

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

McPrancingBull wrote:From Brundle : Hamilton has been told if he's tris to back Rosberg up in the pack they will pit Nico first.
So how can he possibly win the championship today if he's not allowed to try the only thing that might help him .??..
Well it's only logical from a team perspective, if Rosberg is vulnerable to an undercut they would pit him first, Mercedes have to work for the best result for both cars.

It sucks from Lewis' perspective but the team's goal has to be to secure a 1-2 as it always is.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Put the kettle on and hope for a mechanical failure then.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

McPrancingBull

Post by McPrancingBull »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
McPrancingBull wrote:From Brundle : Hamilton has been told if he's tris to back Rosberg up in the pack they will pit Nico first.
Well it's only logical from a team perspective, if Rosberg is vulnerable to an undercut they would pit him first, Mercedes have to work for the best result for both cars.
But they previously stated they weren't goin to interfere.
The Constructors is already won and one of them is guaranteed to win the drivers.

Don't get me wrong I don't really care who wins but I don't want to see interference from the team which as you and I know will definitely be construed as favouritism.
McLaren