Did Vettel cross the line today? (Radio Message to Charlie)

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Clarky

Re: Did Vettel cross the line today? (Radio Message to Charl

Post by Clarky »

Can't believe people are condoning what Vettel did.

fieldstvl

Post by fieldstvl »

I thought it was very funny.

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

fieldstvl wrote:I thought it was very funny.
Maybe it is funny but unacceptable.

fieldstvl

Post by fieldstvl »

Clarky wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:I thought it was very funny.
Maybe it is funny but unacceptable.
I'm happy to accept it. Added some spice to the end of the race.

Teddy007

Post by Teddy007 »

Clarky wrote:Can't believe people are condoning what Vettel did.
I can't believe people are defending a named outburst aimed at Charlie and the stewards. It's unprofessional and frankly the same ones defending Seb have usually criticised other drivers for less "outbursts".

I'm happy to see it but I'm not going to sit here and act like what he did is okay, just like every other outburst that has not been professionally okay.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Teddy007 wrote:
I can't believe people are defending a named outburst aimed at Charlie and the stewards. It's unprofessional and frankly the same ones defending Seb have usually criticised other drivers for less "outbursts".

I'm happy to see it but I'm not going to sit here and act like what he did is okay, just like every other outburst that has not been professionally okay.
He wrote "condoning", not "condemning"

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Teddy007 wrote:

Not sure if you read what I wrote?

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

I get where Vettel was coming from. At that point in time I would imagine he was mega frustrated that Max was appearing to get preferential treatment (again). But this is an easy one for the FIA to file under "bringing the sport into disrepute". I wouldn't be too surprised that his 3rd place being taken away was tied to the outburst and I would be surprised if the FIA don't do more. I've seen football managers sent to the stands for less
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Sky is suggesting the FIA may be considering a race ban:
It remains unclear what sort of punishment Vettel may face. But given that any financial penalty is unlikely to affect Vettel, thought to be the highest-paid driver in the sport, the FIA could consider a sporting punishment such as a grid drop at next week's Brazilian GP or even a race ban.

Vettel was contrite after the race finished, seeking out Whiting to offer a personal apology. "He did say sorry," Whiting confirmed to The Mail. "Given he has done that, I'm not too hung up on it personally, but it remains to be seen how my boss may wish to pursue the matter."
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... o-meltdown

cm97

Post by cm97 »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:Sky is suggesting the FIA may be considering a race ban:
It remains unclear what sort of punishment Vettel may face. But given that any financial penalty is unlikely to affect Vettel, thought to be the highest-paid driver in the sport, the FIA could consider a sporting punishment such as a grid drop at next week's Brazilian GP or even a race ban.

Vettel was contrite after the race finished, seeking out Whiting to offer a personal apology. "He did say sorry," Whiting confirmed to The Mail. "Given he has done that, I'm not too hung up on it personally, but it remains to be seen how my boss may wish to pursue the matter."
I guess if this was any other sport then a competition ban would be the most likely outcome. I doubt it will happen but it will definitely create a precedent for misbehaving drivers.
Not sure if I agree with it but I can see the FIA reasoning behind it.
#Keep Fighting Michael

Robot

Post by Robot »

He crossed the line, he deserves a reprimand but as a Ferrari driver he is protected, so I doubt anything will happen, €€€ fine will be enough anyway.

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Robot wrote:He crossed the line, he deserves a reprimand but as a Ferrari driver he is protected, so I doubt anything will happen, €€€ fine will be enough anyway.
The FIA have to set a precedent here.

Fining someone who has a lifetime supply of money is pointless.

Imo a grid drop (back of the grid) is the very minimum.

Herb

Post by Herb »

Robot wrote:He crossed the line, he deserves a reprimand but as a Ferrari driver he is protected, so I doubt anything will happen, €€€ fine will be enough anyway.
I think a ban is overly harsh. I suspect a reprimand is coming. How many does he have already?

He is lucky really, in football, he'd have been sent off. Which in turn would result in being banned for further games.

pc27b

Post by pc27b »

Teddy007 wrote:

i will defend what he said as correct. why ? because i am tired of race control screwing up, being inconsistent on a regular basis. to me that is the bigger problem, not charlie getting his feelings hurt.
was it unprofessional ? of course. but it doesn't hurt my feelings one bit and no way does it deserve a race ban or grid drop penalty

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Herb wrote:
I think a ban is overly harsh. I suspect a reprimand is coming. How many does he have already?

He is lucky really, in football, he'd have been sent off. Which in turn would result in being banned for further games.
I think any further action would be harsh since I'm utterly convinced that at least part of Vettel's penalty already applied was a direct result of what he said. So if they do something now he'd be getting a double penalty

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

I agree with the need to speak out. I disagree with the wording. But the F-word is sadly all around these days. I would propose a hefty fine for every time it is used on the radio, and the fines be offered to UNICEF. From one bunch of spoilt children to a big bunch of children who desperately need help.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

telmernatorx

Post by telmernatorx »

i just find it funny that all the people who relentlessly complain that drivers have no personality these days and are just PR robots spewing out prescripted unopinionated answers and not showing any real emotion etc. suddenly turn into politically correct easily offended daily mail readers who act like they've never heard some one swear or question authority as soon as a driver shows his true colours or a bit of passion. whether or not it was right or wrong i find it a breath of fresh air to hear someone actually get riled up and sound like they are there to do more than say the right thing for sponsors and take home millions of dollars at the end of the season.

Blake

Post by Blake »

I see very,very few condoning Vettel's comments.

Understanding his frustration is not the same as condoning how he reacted to the situation.
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

fieldstvl

Post by fieldstvl »

I don't think this is anywhere near as serious as many are making out.

As an aside, I think race bans should always be avoided except for in the most extreme cases. If I was a Vettel fan with tickets to Interlagos, and he had received a race ban, I'd be quite profoundly more than annoyed.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:Sky is suggesting the FIA may be considering a race ban:

If FIA attempts this we might have seen a Ferrari race for the last time this season.

Considering how political Sergio is!

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

telmernatorx wrote:i just find it funny that all the people who relentlessly complain that drivers have no personality these days and are just PR robots spewing out prescripted unopinionated answers and not showing any real emotion etc. suddenly turn into politically correct easily offended daily mail readers who act like they've never heard some one swear or question authority as soon as a driver shows his true colours or a bit of passion. whether or not it was right or wrong i find it a breath of fresh air to hear someone actually get riled up and sound like they are there to do more than say the right thing for sponsors and take home millions of dollars at the end of the season.
Do we have to go from one extreme to the other?
There is no middle point?
From a PR robot attitude to an uneducated, direspectful and despicable attitude?

Lord Crc

Post by Lord Crc »

Slightly similar case here in Norwegian football today. A player just got banned from the national team for four matches (11 months) and has to pay a fine for the following:
After the game I walked off the pitch and into the tunell where the linesman where standing. As I passed him on my way to the changing room, I said to him: "You referees whistled on everything, you are so all hail the mods bad.". That was all.
Source (in Norwegian): https://www.nrk.no/sport/selnaes-uteste ... 1.13206370

Blake

Post by Blake »

Disrespectful... YES, but Uneducated and Despicable??? Being a bit dramatic here,nixxxon,aren't you?
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Blake wrote:Disrespectful... YES, but Uneducated and Despicable??? Being a bit dramatic here,nixxxon,aren't you?
He insulted/disrespected five different people (Alonso, Sainz, Massa, Verstappen, Whiting) in almost no time.
Not saying that Vettel himself IS uneducated/despicable but, he indeed showed such an attitude this weekend
Last edited by nixxxon on Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

If he gets a race ban, it would be a farce. Im all for fining him, but make it something that will actually make a dent + do some sort of proper charity work or something to go with it. Affecting race outcomes because someone had some bad words to say is crazy, though with the news filtering through that Todt is personally unimpressed with what was said and the announcement of a seperate investigation, I dont think the farce has ended here.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Prema

Post by Prema »

Flash2k11 wrote:If he gets a race ban, it would be a farce. Im all for fining him, but make it something that will actually make a dent + do some sort of proper charity work or something to go with it. Affecting race outcomes because someone had some bad words to say is crazy, though with the news filtering through that Todt is personally unimpressed with what was said and the announcement of a seperate investigation, I dont think the farce has ended here.
And what amount exactly, and on the base of which rules being broken exactly? What legality would there be behind deciding to take the money from him? How much one F-word is supposed to cost you, and how much if it be thrown at the director of the race as opposed to a fellow racer?

Why don't they rather simply decide to not air these kinds of cursing? A simple solution.

guardiangr

Post by guardiangr »

Seriously if Vettel gets a race ban or even a grid drop for that then I've lost whatever faith I've left for this sport. The blame lies with FOM for airing it instead of keeping it behind closed doors and be dealt with internally between Vettel and the governing body.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Prema wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:If he gets a race ban, it would be a farce. Im all for fining him, but make it something that will actually make a dent + do some sort of proper charity work or something to go with it. Affecting race outcomes because someone had some bad words to say is crazy, though with the news filtering through that Todt is personally unimpressed with what was said and the announcement of a seperate investigation, I dont think the farce has ended here.
And what amount exactly, and on the base of which rules being broken exactly? What legality would there be behind deciding to take the money from him? How much one F-word is supposed to cost you, and how much if it be thrown at the director of the race as opposed to a fellow racer?

Why don't they rather simply decide to not air these kinds of cursing? A simple solution.
Not airing it on the TV doesn't magically mean Charlie Whiting didn't get to hear being told to personally f*** off by a driver. As for the legality of it, the FIA is the ringmaster, and you play by their rules. Im sure McLaren didn't enjoy being taken for a $100m ride after Spygate, but that didn't mean they didn't have to pay it, for you sign up to the rules when you come to play the game. I've not had a look and see what the punishments are for bringing the sport into disrepute, but i'd imagine a fine being very near the top of the list.

Again though, I don't blame Vettel at all for the outburst, i'd have done the same, and listening to it brought more enjoyment than most of the race itself. However, if you wanna curse at the powers that be, you tend to have to pay the price. I'd rather that price be something outside of a racing context, rather than a grid drop/race ban.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

And as I write this, SkySports reporting that there will be no action against Vettel.

Common sense breaks out occasionally.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24182/ ... an-gp-rant
2018 Pick 10 Champion

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Flash2k11 wrote:And as I write this, SkySports reporting that there will be no action against Vettel.

And most interestingly Vettel will apolagise to Verstappen.

Blake

Post by Blake »

Now... when does Max apologize for all of his indescretions?

Good on Vettel for taking the initiative and apologizing and for seeking out Whiting immediately to apologize, as well as his letter to Todt. Of course, the case can be made that he was just trying to save himself further punishment, and no doubt there is something to that...however, it was still the right thing to do, and we do know of some who are incapable of doing it, so good for Seb.

Now, one further question... what happened to the delayed (so they could catch such things) broadcast of pit transmissions? Should be at least one more apology coming, I would think.
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Prema

Post by Prema »

Flash2k11 wrote:
Prema wrote:

Not airing it on the TV doesn't magically mean Charlie Whiting didn't get to hear being told to personally f*** off by a driver. As for the legality of it, the FIA is the ringmaster, and you play by their rules. Im sure McLaren didn't enjoy being taken for a $100m ride after Spygate, but that didn't mean they didn't have to pay it, for you sign up to the rules when you come to play the game. I've not had a look and see what the punishments are for bringing the sport into disrepute, but i'd imagine a fine being very near the top of the list.

Again though, I don't blame Vettel at all for the outburst, i'd have done the same, and listening to it brought more enjoyment than most of the race itself. However, if you wanna curse at the powers that be, you tend to have to pay the price. I'd rather that price be something outside of a racing context, rather than a grid drop/race ban.
Not airing it on the TV means a hack of a difference - Charlie is not being told to go f-ck himself publicly. The world did nor hear it. Then it would be between him personally and Vettel. Hence, how hard then you'd find to be appropriate to fine/punish the driver (or anybody else there, for that matter) who told Charlie to go f-ck himself, would be all a different matter too.

I am not condoning Vettel's outbursts either, but I find it far more irresponsible, and actually a hypocrisy, that they decide that it is fine to air to the world, and then let's go talk "legality". If it is fine to be aired, then it is fine. Then it is but the f-ing show business that to create the attention, and not "let's punish the guy in this or that way for breaking non-existing FIA rules".

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:And as I write this, SkySports reporting that there will be no action against Vettel.

that's the implication, but not quite what was said. He will contact him, but doesn't specifically mention an apology. Tbh, what on earth does he have to apologise to Max for?

ohwell

Post by ohwell »

Hopefully now that the FIA is okay, the numerous arm chair Judges of Vettel's character will hopefully shut the fondue up

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

that's the implication, but not quite what was said. He will contact him, but doesn't specifically mention an apology. Tbh, what on earth does he have to apologise to Max for?
Maybe it's not to apologise...

https://twitter.com/wtf1couk/status/793512002811486209

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

He threatened to punch him IIRC.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

ohwell

Post by ohwell »

Flash2k11 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

That would be more than fair

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

ohwell wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

That would be more than fair
Lol!

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

In the context it's written an apology is the only contact that makes sense. I agree. I see no reason for the FIA to intervene with driver relations.

dompclarke

Post by dompclarke »

Flash2k11 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

He said " I'm going to hit someone" I took it as he thinks he will either collide with Max or Dan because of the way max was driving not he was going to punch anyone... His message to Charlie though was unacceptable, doesn't matter if it was broadcast or not he should have at least has a reprimand!