Lance Stroll

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
pokerman

Re: Lance Stroll

Post by pokerman »

justbeingmiko wrote:
pokerman wrote:
justbeingmiko wrote:OF course, Bottas might actually be good enough to destroy Stroll on merit....or Stroll might actually be a good peddler and deserve the seat.

Gonna be interesting to see if he is actually good enough. Those in the know think he deserves a chance regardless of his father's wealth.

Who are those in the know?

Most F1 Journos, Martin Brundle, Williams Engineering team to name a few that I have seen quotes from. I seem to recall DC saying it too. He deserves the chance on merit, removing the money from the equation (although that does help, no doubt)

The issue for most is a comparative with other recognized talented drivers: F3 this year is not seen as having as exciting a talent pool as has been seen in other years. So Stroll dominating the championship may mean he is good or that the rest of the field was poor. But, let us not forget that Williams did test him alot, and despite a hefty pay check, Williams is not known for taking a driver with JUST money.

Maldanado may have had money but he was no slouch - erratic and red misty when on circuit, but quick. And they got rid of him eventually. Any other time, Williams and pay driver with no talent, not one!

Stroll's skills will be good enough to be given a year in F1. Whether he is good enough to retain his seat and be seen as top drawer as opposed to just tier 2 or 3, well, that is up to him.

Maldonado was clearly seen as a pay driver and when the money ran out do did his F1 career, do you really think that Williams would have signed him if not for the pay cheque and Stroll is no different, the Strolls have already spent $45M dollars this season with Williams on his F3 racing and his F1 testing programme.

So we have Brundle and DC as a sort of hearsay to how deserving Stroll is and the Williams engineering staff have 80M reasons to agree with that.

One reason why F3 was relatively weak especially in numbers with the grid reducing by 50% was because many drivers thought they couldn't compete against Stroll on a level basis and simply left the series.

Regarding Williams testing him a lot to see if he is good enough that didn't really happen that's a paid for test programme to prepare Stroll for F1 and he doesn't really have to fight for his F1 life whilst they are prepared to pay Williams $35M a year Maldonado style, the only one who decides on the future of Lance is his father Lawrence.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

justbeingmiko

Post by justbeingmiko »

pokerman wrote:
justbeingmiko wrote:
pokerman wrote:
justbeingmiko wrote:OF course, Bottas might actually be good enough to destroy Stroll on merit....or Stroll might actually be a good peddler and deserve the seat.

Gonna be interesting to see if he is actually good enough. Those in the know think he deserves a chance regardless of his father's wealth.

Most F1 Journos, Martin Brundle, Williams Engineering team to name a few that I have seen quotes from. I seem to recall DC saying it too. He deserves the chance on merit, removing the money from the equation (although that does help, no doubt)

The issue for most is a comparative with other recognized talented drivers: F3 this year is not seen as having as exciting a talent pool as has been seen in other years. So Stroll dominating the championship may mean he is good or that the rest of the field was poor. But, let us not forget that Williams did test him alot, and despite a hefty pay check, Williams is not known for taking a driver with JUST money.

Maldanado may have had money but he was no slouch - erratic and red misty when on circuit, but quick. And they got rid of him eventually. Any other time, Williams and pay driver with no talent, not one!

Stroll's skills will be good enough to be given a year in F1. Whether he is good enough to retain his seat and be seen as top drawer as opposed to just tier 2 or 3, well, that is up to him.

Maldonado was clearly seen as a pay driver and when the money ran out do did his F1 career, do you really think that Williams would have signed him if not for the pay cheque and Stroll is no different, the Strolls have already spent $45M dollars this season with Williams on his F3 racing and his F1 testing programme.

So we have Brundle and DC as a sort of hearsay to how deserving Stroll is and the Williams engineering staff have 80M reasons to agree with that.

One reason why F3 was relatively weak especially in numbers with the grid reducing by 50% was because many drivers thought they couldn't compete against Stroll on a level basis and simply left the series.

Regarding Williams testing him a lot to see if he is good enough that didn't really happen that's a paid for test programme to prepare Stroll for F1 and he doesn't really have to fight for his F1 life whilst they are prepared to pay Williams $35M a year Maldonado style, the only one who decides on the future of Lance is his father Lawrence.

That is one way to look at it, for sure. I prefer to look at F1 as the pinnacle of motorsport and there are very few if any muppets that get to drive these cars in anger. Money probably means that the best dont always get to the top, that is certain, but it also doesnt mean that those with money cannot drive.

Stroll is young, has won and is now getting his shot. F1 will show his true colours very quickly, especially if they are lacking. Williams may not be tip top on spending, but there is no evidence of them taking a pay driver with no talent, and I inclulde Maldanado in that statement.

Will be fun to see whether Stroll cuts it, though, won't it :)

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

justbeingmiko wrote:
pokerman wrote:
justbeingmiko wrote:
pokerman wrote:

That is one way to look at it, for sure. I prefer to look at F1 as the pinnacle of motorsport and there are very few if any muppets that get to drive these cars in anger. Money probably means that the best dont always get to the top, that is certain, but it also doesnt mean that those with money cannot drive.

Stroll is young, has won and is now getting his shot. F1 will show his true colours very quickly, especially if they are lacking. Williams may not be tip top on spending, but there is no evidence of them taking a pay driver with no talent, and I inclulde Maldanado in that statement.

Will be fun to see whether Stroll cuts it, though, won't it :)

All the drivers in F1 have talent which also include the ones that have been culled in recent years the most recent one being Haryanto, there was a time that Williams would never employ a driver like Maldonado.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Lentulus

Post by Lentulus »

UnlikeUday wrote:Lance Stroll's father has reportedly paid $80 million for the Williams seat:
http://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/219035/lance-stroll-debut-reportedly-cost-80-million

And Lance claims he earned the Williams seat. Yeah right!

Planet F1 also quotes $80m, but states that is what Daddy has shelled out for Stroll's career so far.

Regardless of which is accurate, that's a mind-blowing figure!

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Lentulus wrote:Planet F1 also quotes $80m, but states that is what Daddy has shelled out for Stroll's career so far.

This makes me wonder - does anyone know what the largest sponsorship package ever brought to F1 was, and/or who had it? The largest I was aware of until now was Maldonado with his ~$30m, but is that actually the most ever? If the $80m really is Lance's yearly payment to Williams I'm sure it's the highest - by a lot - but if the more modest $35m is correct, is he still #1?

On a related note, how much slower would Lance have to be than a hypothetical driver with $0 of funding before Williams didn't come out ahead in the WCC from having him?
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:
Lentulus wrote:Planet F1 also quotes $80m, but states that is what Daddy has shelled out for Stroll's career so far.

This makes me wonder - does anyone know what the largest sponsorship package ever brought to F1 was, and/or who had it? The largest I was aware of until now was Maldonado with his ~$30m, but is that actually the most ever? If the $80m really is Lance's yearly payment to Williams I'm sure it's the highest - by a lot - but if the more modest $35m is correct, is he still #1?

On a related note, how much slower would Lance have to be than a hypothetical driver with $0 of funding before Williams didn't come out ahead in the WCC from having him?

The figure for next year has been quoted as $35M which I think is probably the highest ever?

For the second question that would be hard to work out, I guess at least the $35M is guaranteed income.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

I think the shiny new up to date simulator is well worth putting Stroll in the car for a season or two alone for Williams. That'll be something very important to the team for the next few years that'll benefit everyone at the team mid-long term.

The Maldonado level money is obviously very welcome too, as is the testing payments for the 2014 car and staffing cost for this year. (I doubt that will be repeated next year so it will "just" be the €35m next year).
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Exediron wrote:

Yeah...looks like it is a win win situation for Williams. Lance can't be that bad and he is bringing a lot to the table besides his driving skills. I will be keeping a close eye on him next year though, and so will a lot of people I reckon.

j man

Post by j man »

UnlikeUday wrote:Lance Stroll's father has reportedly paid $80 million for the Williams seat:
http://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/219035/lance-stroll-debut-reportedly-cost-80-million

Unfortunately the more stories like this that I read, the more difficult I find it to view Lance as a driver I can like, admire or even respect. I shall be cheering on Bottas next year.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

j man wrote:

Unfortunately the more stories like this that I read, the more difficult I find it to view Lance as a driver I can like, admire or even respect. I shall be cheering on Bottas next year.

Yeah you have to question does a super talented driver really need to spend that kind of money to get into F1?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

j man wrote:

Why? Not his fault his father's really rich.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:

That's not really the point though, wasn't it enough that he put Lance in the best team in F3?

However they went further than that, they bought the team so Stroll could be given advantages over his teammates and every other driver on the grid, so you have to ask how much better was Stroll's car and how good is he really?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Thats an insane amount of money if true.

Very sad to hear news like these... But sadly this is F1 and this is motorsport in general... rich people's "sports" where only very very few insanely talented guys can rise to the top without money.

Also besides the rich, there are also the "sons of ...", tell that to Andretti, Hill, Brabham, Fittipaldi, Villeneuve, Nakajima, Piquet Jr, Magnussen, Rosberg, Verstappen...

I will always support the genuinely talented guys that succeed thanks to their pure skills rather than the rich kids and "sons of".
Last edited by nixxxon on Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j man

Post by j man »

mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:

Because it feels like his success has been handed to him on a plate rather than him having to work for it. Sure there have been countless drivers past and present who have paid their way into a race seat but none to this extent, and this is the first I've heard of a driver being given such privileged treatment in junior series or having an entire test team and car put together especially for him. I like a level playing field.

Unfortunately even if Lance does really well next year I feel there will be question marks over whether Bottas has equal treatment.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:

That's not really the point though, wasn't it enough that he put Lance in the best team in F3?

However they went further than that, they bought the team so Stroll could be given advantages over his teammates and every other driver on the grid, so you have to ask how much better was Stroll's car and how good is he really?

What's this got to do with liking or disliking someone? Sure the situation is crappy but that isn't Lance's fault?

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

j man wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:

Because it feels like his success has been handed to him on a plate rather than him having to work for it. Sure there have been countless drivers past and present who have paid their way into a race seat but none to this extent, and this is the first I've heard of a driver being given such privileged treatment in junior series or having an entire test team and car put together especially for him. I like a level playing field.

Unfortunately even if Lance does really well next year I feel there will be question marks over whether Bottas has equal treatment.

Agreed. Apart from the test team thing but none of this is Lance's fault so why dislike him?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:

What's this got to do with liking or disliking someone? Sure the situation is crappy but that isn't Lance's fault?

Well he did say like, admire or respect, personally I know so little about Lance Stroll as a person to either like or dislike him.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

j man

Post by j man »

mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:

Agreed. Apart from the test team thing but none of this is Lance's fault so why dislike him?

I think it's fair enough reasoning to dislike him as a competitor. Obviously I have no particular like or dislike for any of the drivers on a personal level having never met any them.

Nosebuckle

Post by Nosebuckle »

This right here. I doubt anyone is hating on Stroll personally, but rather because he's already throwing up a wall of transparent BS. It's wrong of course to begrudge someone as a result of the circumstances of their birth, but this is going beyond that. Stroll has basically claimed, in no uncertain terms, that his promotion to Williams is nothing more than the product of his talents, which is almost certainly untrue.

If he doesn't acknowledge the multitude of advantages his father purchased for him in the singular pursuit of reaching F1, then he best keep quiet. The fact that he won big in F3 this year means little since he had advantages no one else had: a dedicated simulator at the Williams factory(!), Williams engineers working on his car, Mercedes engineers perfecting his engine maps, having your father purchase an already successful team and dedicating it to his son's success (top status in every respect). At the level he was competing on versus everyone else, it would have been shocking had he failed to dominate the championship.

At least this will be an entertaining experiment to see how far one can advance themselves in the sport through sheer force of money. I'd be willing to bet that you could take a given kid (who wants to be a racer) at age 10, provide them the resources Stroll had, and likely see them winding up in F1 at some point.

mds

Post by mds »

Nosebuckle wrote:Stroll has basically claimed, in no uncertain terms, that his promotion to Williams is nothing more than the product of his talents, which is almost certainly untrue.

If he doesn't acknowledge the multitude of advantages his father purchased for him in the singular pursuit of reaching F1, then he best keep quiet.

I don't think this is fair at all. I mean, you would actually expect or like to hear from someone that the reason he's somewhere is not because he's talented and has done well in the endeavours he has partaken in? What nonsense is that? Who would do that?

The fact that he won big in F3 this year means little

It doesn't. It means quite a bit. How much, that you could question, but he has dominated and that is not to be taken away from him.

At least this will be an entertaining experiment to see how far one can advance themselves in the sport through sheer force of money.

Through force of money and talent.

I'd be willing to bet that you could take a given kid (who wants to be a racer) at age 10, provide them the resources Stroll had, and likely see them winding up in F1 at some point.

Yeah you'd probably lose that bet. Enough drivers with tons of money and all the right support that never make it far because they just don't have it in them.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

Let's see, Fittipaldi was born into money, and he used it well in pursuit of his racing career. And let's not forget Senna, who also was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. And let's not forget one of my favorites from the past, Peter Revson, heir to the Revlon fortune. Even Sam Posey had oodles of bucks backing him. The bottom line, as we all know but seem to forget, is that money can get you into the show. But after that, driver talent counts.

If ten years ago I was to lay out a path for an eight year old kid to get into Formula One, this is what Stroll Sr did. He is a car enthusiast, and with his money, bought everything necessary to clear the road for his son. Lance has had the best of everything, engineers, cars, equipment, and support. He was given every opportunity for success, and he did just that. But in any racing class, success is never handed to you, that is determined by what happens on the track. And so far, Lance has held up his end of the bargain.

As a Canadian, I hope Lance does well. But my support is not guaranteed (check my signature), he still has to prove that on race day.

For Williams, this is a win-win. The loss of Maldonado's money was a kick in the daddy parts, so for Stroll to step in and not only match that loss, but add to Williams's income is a wonderful serendipity for the team.

http://www.grandprix247.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Ferrari-Lance-Stroll-02-750x500.jpg

Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:Let's see, Fittipaldi was born into money, and he used it well in pursuit of his racing career. And let's not forget Senna, who also was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. And let's not forget one of my favorites from the past, Peter Revson, heir to the Revlon fortune. Even Sam Posey had oodles of bucks backing him. The bottom line, as we all know but seem to forget, is that money can get you into the show. But after that, driver talent counts.

If ten years ago I was to lay out a path for an eight year old kid to get into Formula One, this is what Stroll Sr did. He is a car enthusiast, and with his money, bought everything necessary to clear the road for his son. Lance has had the best of everything, engineers, cars, equipment, and support. He was given every opportunity for success, and he did just that. But in any racing class, success is never handed to you, that is determined by what happens on the track. And so far, Lance has held up his end of the bargain.

As a Canadian, I hope Lance does well. But my support is not guaranteed (check my signature), he still has to prove that on race day.

For Williams, this is a win-win. The loss of Maldonado's money was a kick in the daddy parts, so for Stroll to step in and not only match that loss, but add to Williams's income is a wonderful serendipity for the team.

http://www.grandprix247.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Ferrari-Lance-Stroll-02-750x500.jpg

I think that's very debatable what's been handed to Stroll and what advantages he has been given to try and venture he has made the most of what he has been given, it clearly wasn't a level playing field.

Regarding Williams it is good business for them and understandable, they will benefit greatly from Stroll's money.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

I don't think it's right to say any driver deserves a PLACE in F1 when they're still coming up through the ranks. All you can say is they deserve a CHANCE. And his results suggest that's a fair assessment. Let's see how he goes.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Nosebuckle

Post by Nosebuckle »

mds wrote:
Nosebuckle wrote:Stroll has basically claimed, in no uncertain terms, that his promotion to Williams is nothing more than the product of his talents, which is almost certainly untrue.

If he doesn't acknowledge the multitude of advantages his father purchased for him in the singular pursuit of reaching F1, then he best keep quiet.

I don't think this is fair at all. I mean, you would actually expect or like to hear from someone that the reason he's somewhere is not because he's talented and has done well in the endeavours he has partaken in? What nonsense is that? Who would do that?

Of course I wouldn't expect him to do that. All he needs to do is say something to the effect that he still needs to prove himself. I've already said I don't think much of his F3 success, thus I'm not buying his promotion on merit narrative. A nod in the direction of humility.

mds wrote:
The fact that he won big in F3 this year means little

It doesn't. It means quite a bit. How much, that you could question, but he has dominated and that is not to be taken away from him.

Clearly my opinion is that I don't believe it means much because he was competing with advantages no other driver had. Unless you don't believe this is the case, why do you think otherwise?

mds wrote:
I'd be willing to bet that you could take a given kid (who wants to be a racer) at age 10, provide them the resources Stroll had, and likely see them winding up in F1 at some point.

Yeah you'd probably lose that bet. Enough drivers with tons of money and all the right support that never make it far because they just don't have it in them.

Well of course someone with the resources of Stroll Sr. could just buy a team and stick pretty much whomever behind the wheel, so I can cheat that way :D

mds

Post by mds »

Nosebuckle wrote:Of course I wouldn't expect him to do that. All he needs to do is say something to the effect that he still needs to prove himself.

I don't think he's ever claimed the opposite. Claiming that you got into F1 on merit does not equal claiming that you don't have to prove yourself anymore in F1. That would be a foolish claim, and it goes for everybody. The most promising rookie can still turn out to be a disappointment in F1.

Clearly my opinion is that I don't believe it means much because he was competing with advantages no other driver had. Unless you don't believe this is the case, why do you think otherwise?

For one, because the actual extent of the advantage can't be quantified with any amount of certainty. And secondly, because he still had to do it while probably being under more pressure than anyone else. Remember, he's "that rich kid" coming in, so he HAS to make it happen. Well, he did, and I'm sure not everybody would do it - not even remotely.

Well of course someone with the resources of Stroll Sr. could just buy a team and stick pretty much whomever behind the wheel, so I can cheat that way :D

But you would have to accumulate 40 super licence points, or risk seeing the FIA reject your bid for a super licence.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!