Lance Stroll

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Kev627

Lance Stroll

Post by Kev627 »

With Lance Stroll all but certain to be named as Massa's replacement for 2017 what are peoples opinions and expectations for him next season at Williams? https://twitter.com/lance_stroll/status ... 97/photo/1

mikeyg123

Re: Lance Stroll

Post by mikeyg123 »

He'll be beaten by Bottas and his first season. Rookies almost never outscore experienced drivers in their debut years, but I think he will be getting close by his second season.

TheDamus

Post by TheDamus »

As a Canadian I am obliged to support him. I don't however think he will be anything special. From what I read he seems to be around the level of a Palmer/Gutierrez. I would be amazed to ever see him at a top team. I would love to be proven wrong though. He is very young still and could develop further.
Proudly supporting Force India first, Lewis Hamilton second.

spiritone

Post by spiritone »

TheDamus, i'm sorry your canadian. So you judge talent by what you read. Did you read that he didn't win the F3 title by a little bit, he won it by a lot. "As a canadian your obliged to support him". Don't bother.

I'm canadian and it drives me crazy that canadians never want to give credit or go all in on anything. We give very little support to any driver trying to get to the top racing series (ask robert wickens) and to top it off if any of them make it to the top we try to play down their accomplishments.

Who knows if any of the new guys are going to turn out to be stars. Can anybody guarantee ocon or vandoorne or wherlen are going to make it? Stroll got as good a chance as any.

mds

Post by mds »

TheDamus wrote:From what I read he seems to be around the level of a Palmer/Gutierrez.

His junior CV from his first three years of single seater racing is quite a bit better than Palmer's and probably on par with that of Gutierrez. But it can go either way. Gutierrez actually had quite good results up until winning GP3, but never shone above that.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

mds

Post by mds »

Found this article, dated June 9, 2010 (!): http://www.driving-fun.com/700/home/spo ... netje.aspx

It's in Dutch but basically it's about Ferrari signing Stroll, aged 11, into the Ferrari Driving Academy with the head of the FDA claiming Stroll to be exceptionally talented. Pretty interesting to read that now.

huggybear

Post by huggybear »

I've been impressed with him this year. He's been fast in Euroseries for the last two seasons, but he made lots of dumb mistakes that caused huge crashes last year. This year for the most part, he's got that out of his system.

SnakeSVT2003

Post by SnakeSVT2003 »

I really don't like that he won't go through GP2 to sharpen his skills further. This looks like a trend that could pick up pace with the way the FIA has structured the driver points system.

Is GP2 going to be obsolete in 5-10 years? I not saying "yes", but I'm definitely starting to lean away from "no".
"No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning."
Jean-Pierre Sarti

Amon

Post by Amon »

SnakeSVT2003 wrote:I really don't like that he won't go through GP2 to sharpen his skills further. This looks like a trend that could pick up pace with the way the FIA has structured the driver points system.

Is GP2 going to be obsolete in 5-10 years? I not saying "yes", but I'm definitely starting to lean away from "no".

Assuming F3 is comparable to GP3 and GP2 has no more equivalent since the second death of F2, GP2 might disappear however its previous form was F3000 and before that it was... F2!
F1 fan since 1989

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

His father who owns a large stake of Williams now, from what I understand, isn't thrilled to have Bottas as Lance's teammate. So we may see the end of Bottas at Williams.
That would be absolutely rubbish imo. Bottas deserves to be in that seat as the leading driver. Just because he might embarrass Lance shouldn't make him lose his seat.
But then again, there are rumors of Bottas to Renault...

paulsf1fix

Post by paulsf1fix »

I found this on Planet F1's site.

And a link.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/williams-r ... olls-18th/

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

kleefton wrote:His father who owns a large stake of Williams now, from what I understand, isn't thrilled to have Bottas as Lance's teammate. So we may see the end of Bottas at Williams.
That would be absolutely rubbish imo. Bottas deserves to be in that seat as the leading driver. Just because he might embarrass Lance shouldn't make him lose his seat.

Oh great. :evil: Do you have a source for this?

spiritone

Post by spiritone »

Kleefton you got any proof of your accusations that strolls dad doesn't like bottas? Haven't read anywhere that he has a large stake in williams. Think your talking a lot of b.s.

Its going to be interesting if bottas stays because i don't rate him that high and i think stroll might do very well against him.

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

Amon wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:I really don't like that he won't go through GP2 to sharpen his skills further. This looks like a trend that could pick up pace with the way the FIA has structured the driver points system.

Assuming F3 is comparable to GP3 and GP2 has no more equivalent since the second death of F2, GP2 might disappear however its previous form was F3000 and before that it was... F2!

I don't see GP2 disappearing as things stand. The former FR3.5 has been the big loser with the introduction of the Super License points system; I'd be very surprised to see that continue beyond 2017. GP2, however, remains the top-tier feeder series. Even if F3 evolves and takes the place alongside it that was previously occupied by FR3.5, there are enough young drivers to support two such series (especially when it means more can score a larger amount of Super License points).

When the FIA finally bring F2 back, then I think GP2 could be in trouble (especially if F2 is a lot cheaper). But it is also a possibility that GP2 might simply become F2.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x8
2020: 9th | 2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

spiritone wrote:Kleefton you got any proof of your accusations that strolls dad doesn't like bottas? Haven't read anywhere that he has a large stake in williams. Think your talking a lot of b.s.

Its going to be interesting if bottas stays because i don't rate him that high and i think stroll might do very well against him.

Yes I do have a source. And no, I never talk b.s.

http://www.gpguide.com/News.aspx?articl ... dpbGxpYW1z

If you think this rookie is going to be able to do well against Valteri you are simply bonkers and have no idea how to rate drivers. Bottas is a pretty well rounded driver with experience under his belt. He would destroy Stroll.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

kleefton wrote:
spiritone wrote:Kleefton you got any proof of your accusations that strolls dad doesn't like bottas? Haven't read anywhere that he has a large stake in williams. Think your talking a lot of b.s.

If you think this rookie is going to be able to do well against Valteri you are simply bonkers and have no idea how to rate drivers. Bottas is a pretty well rounded driver with experience under his belt. He would destroy Stroll.

In the article it literally is just a former F1 driver speculating that Lawrence Stroll may not want his son racing against an established driver. Nothing is offered to back up that speculation.

If that is what you were basing your comments on then I think you were reaching a bit TBH. Not accusing you of BS but there is nothing in that article to suggest that Bottas may be forced out.

It's also the first I have heard about Stroll buying half the Williams team? You would think it would have been reported somewhere, especially seeing as Williams is floated on the stock market so it's not something that could be done quietly.

Anyone else heard anything about this?

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

mikeyg123 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

In the article it literally is just a former F1 driver speculating that Lawrence Stroll may not want his son racing against an established driver. Nothing is offered to back up that speculation.

If that is what you were basing your comments on then I think you were reaching a bit TBH. Not accusing you of BS but there is nothing in that article to suggest that Bottas may be forced out.

It's also the first I have heard about Stroll buying half the Williams team? You would think it would have been reported somewhere, especially seeing as Williams is floated on the stock market so it's not something that could be done quietly.

Anyone else heard anything about this?

We shall see, the stories on that website turn out to be true more often than not.

I know from a few months back that Toto had relinquished his shares at Williams, so maybe Lance's dad bought those?

spiritone

Post by spiritone »

We shall see, isn't proof of anything. I could come up with "stroll is buying up Red Bull and is moving his son there" See it's easy.

TheDamus

Post by TheDamus »

spiritone wrote:TheDamus, i'm sorry your canadian. So you judge talent by what you read. Did you read that he didn't win the F3 title by a little bit, he won it by a lot. "As a canadian your obliged to support him". Don't bother.

I'm canadian and it drives me crazy that canadians never want to give credit or go all in on anything. We give very little support to any driver trying to get to the top racing series (ask robert wickens) and to top it off if any of them make it to the top we try to play down their accomplishments.

Who knows if any of the new guys are going to turn out to be stars. Can anybody guarantee ocon or vandoorne or wherlen are going to make it? Stroll got as good a chance as any.

Don't make assumptions on why I have my opinions please.

I have not supported a "pay" driver in their first year yet. The reason why I will support Stroll is because he is a Canadian. I don't claim to have any expertise in the lower categories. As such I must rely on what I read. I have not read wholly positive things about Stroll. From what I understand the competition in F3 is not thought to be that strong this year. His strong showing therefor would mean much less.

To contrast that I was a big fan of Wickens. I think he was a great talent. It is a shame he didn't have the support that Stroll does. I don't doubt he is a better driver. I don't think many people would. I give credit where credit is due.
Proudly supporting Force India first, Lewis Hamilton second.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

spiritone wrote:We shall see, isn't proof of anything. I could come up with "stroll is buying up Red Bull and is moving his son there" See it's easy.

Sorry but i think the opinion of a former professional driver who is covering the sport is probably more valuable than a pf1 member.

mds

Post by mds »

kleefton wrote:
spiritone wrote:We shall see, isn't proof of anything. I could come up with "stroll is buying up Red Bull and is moving his son there" See it's easy.

Sorry but i think the opinion of a former professional driver who is covering the sport is probably more valuable than a pf1 member.

Sorry but you said this:
His father who owns a large stake of Williams now, from what I understand, isn't thrilled to have Bottas as Lance's teammate.

and Salo says this:
he may not want Valtteri as his teammate

Salo isn't even saying "he doesn't want Valtteri as his teammate", just that he "may" not. Which equals "there might be a possibility that he doesn't want Valtteri as his teammate but in all reality I have no idea".

And you make of that "he isn't thrilled to have Valtteri as his teammate".

There is a huge difference between Salo's statement and what you make of it.

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

To be fair, I can understand why the Strolls wouldn't want Bottas as Lance's teammate. If you're a rookie coming into F1, really you want the weakest teammate possible because that's the guy you'll be the most judged against. Bottas' stock has dropped a little but he's still a guy with multiple podiums who, in 2017, is likely going to get the better of Stroll more often than not.

That being said, nothing that has been posted has been anything other than assumptions and conjecture based on other people's vague opinions.

kleefton wrote:I know from a few months back that Toto had relinquished his shares at Williams, so maybe Lance's dad bought those?

He did not; they were purchased by an American businessman who, I believe, already owned shares in Williams. As far as I'm aware, Lawrence Stroll owns no shares in Williams at all.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x8
2020: 9th | 2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th

justbeingmiko

Post by justbeingmiko »

Covalent wrote:
kleefton wrote:His father who owns a large stake of Williams now, from what I understand, isn't thrilled to have Bottas as Lance's teammate. So we may see the end of Bottas at Williams.

Oh great. :evil: Do you have a source for this?

Unless well hidden, Stroll does not own any of Williams. It is a listed company and the shareholders are well published and known, and Stroll is not one of them.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Amon wrote:

I would disagree that F3 is comparable to GP3 seeing how drivers go from F3 to GP3 but not the other way around.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

I thought that the Stroll's failed in their bid to buy a stake in Williams so they will not be able to influence things like they did at Prema Racing.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

mds wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Sorry but you said this:
His father who owns a large stake of Williams now, from what I understand, isn't thrilled to have Bottas as Lance's teammate.

and Salo says this:

Salo isn't even saying "he doesn't want Valtteri as his teammate", just that he "may" not. Which equals "there might be a possibility that he doesn't want Valtteri as his teammate but in all reality I have no idea".

The way i read it i felt like he simply did not want bottas there. Im 100 percent sure salo meant it that way. Else why would he even say that?

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

pokerman wrote:

I thought that the Stroll's failed in their bid to buy a stake in Williams so they will not be able to influence things like they did at Prema Racing.

He is still in the running from what ive read again. Will post link later.
And he sounds awfully confident his son will be in f1 next year...

Amon

Post by Amon »

kleefton wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Well the alternative doesn't sound very good: Felipe Nasr...
F1 fan since 1989

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

kleefton wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Well they have a $35M war chest to ensure that, I'm not so sure that Williams will want to relinquish control to the Strolls though?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Kev627

Post by Kev627 »

Jenson's Understeer wrote:To be fair, I can understand why the Strolls wouldn't want Bottas as Lance's teammate. If you're a rookie coming into F1, really you want the weakest teammate possible because that's the guy you'll be the most judged against.

I would have thought a rookie would want quite a good team mate to learn the craft from in his first season.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Kev627 wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:To be fair, I can understand why the Strolls wouldn't want Bottas as Lance's teammate. If you're a rookie coming into F1, really you want the weakest teammate possible because that's the guy you'll be the most judged against.

I would have thought a rookie would want quite a good team mate to learn the craft from in his first season.

Yes for the first season.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Colo134

Post by Colo134 »

as a Canadian, im super stoked, Ive been following him in the lower categories for quite a while now.

moby

Post by moby »

There is an item on Joe's blog about it, including this

There have been rumours that Stroll Sr has bought a share in the team, but this is not true, at least not yet. The team, lest we forget, is listed on the Deutsche Börse in Frankfurt and any major changes in shareholdings must be announced as soon as they happen to avoid share price manipulations that might take place if such information remained secret. The last registered ownership details show Sir Frank Williams holding 52.5 percent of the company, 24 percent of the business being traded, Brad Hollinger owning 10 percent and Patrick Head 9.3 percent. The rest is owned by the employees. So, while Stroll might be providing the team with large sums of money for this year’s testing and next year’s racing, he is not a shareholder.

other good stuff on the family too

mds

Post by mds »

kleefton wrote:
mds wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Sorry but you said this:

and Salo says this:

The way i read it i felt like he simply did not want bottas there. Im 100 percent sure salo meant it that way. Else why would he even say that?

To indicate that no contract has been signed yet and so it might go either way, depending on various factors, one example of such a possible factor being given.

You can not be certain how another person's words are meant something else than how it's written.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Lance Stroll certainly has talent - but his success is equally down to daddy's big pockets and politics. This year, Prema centered his efforts around him, comforting him with good-but-not-outstanding teammates like Günther and Cassidy. Rumours widespread in the F3 paddock about teamorders and special parts for Stroll's car may be true or not.
On top of that, the field of second-year drivers was rather uncompetitive - Russell talented but too erratic, Camara mostly invisible, Ilott hardly able to finish a race without an incident.

Witnessing how Stroll senior acted in the paddock, stories of him planning to buy into Williams and then substitute Bottas with a driver, his junior can beat more easily does not sound too far off the line to me tbh.

My guess is that either Stroll Sr. buying into Williams and Stroll Jr. being confirmed as a driver will be announced together - or Stroll Sr. is still looking to buy another team. FI may be on the line. Or - the wildest version - perhaps Stroll Sr. is looking to buy Ferrari. :lol:

Okay, seriously, I doubt that Stroll Sr. will "just" give money, he will want to have formal influence to further promote his son. Negotiations are probably ongoing in this regard.

What can we expect from Lance Stroll if he is driving F1 next year? Lots of entertainment - if you call crashes and collisions entertaining.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Just checked Wiki and to be fair to him he's done OK in his brief career to date but he was 5th in F3 in 2015 - but (significantly behind both his full-time team mates (Rosenqvist & Dennis)

Felix Rosenqvist (518)
Antonio Giovinazzi (412.5)
Jake Dennis (377)
Charles Leclerc (363.5)
Lance Stroll (231)

Rosenqvist's CV is impressive and yet he's off to Formula E?...
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

GingerFurball

Post by GingerFurball »

The majority of young drivers entering the sport now don't go through GP2. Only 9 of the current grid competed in GP2 prior to F1. Even taking out the guys who were already in F1 before GP2 became a thing, that's still only 9 out of 18. Vettel, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Bottas, Sainz, Kvyat, Magnussen, Werhlein and Ocon all graduated to F1 without competing in GP2. Team GP2 consists of Rosberg, Hamilton, Hülkenberg, Perez, Palmer, Nasr, Ericsson, Grosjean and Guttierez.

Lentulus

Post by Lentulus »

*Double post.
Last edited by Lentulus on Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lentulus

Post by Lentulus »

DOLOMITE wrote:Just checked Wiki and to be fair to him he's done OK in his brief career to date but he was 5th in F3 in 2015 - but (significantly behind both his full-time team mates (Rosenqvist & Dennis)

Felix Rosenqvist (518)
Antonio Giovinazzi (412.5)
Jake Dennis (377)
Charles Leclerc (363.5)
Lance Stroll (231)

Rosenqvist's CV is impressive and yet he's off to Formula E?...

Didn't Rosenqvist take 5 years to win the F3 title?
Not that impressive.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:Lance Stroll certainly has talent - but his success is equally down to daddy's big pockets and politics. This year, Prema centered his efforts around him, comforting him with good-but-not-outstanding teammates like Günther and Cassidy. Rumours widespread in the F3 paddock about teamorders and special parts for Stroll's car may be true or not.
On top of that, the field of second-year drivers was rather uncompetitive - Russell talented but too erratic, Camara mostly invisible, Ilott hardly able to finish a race without an incident.

Witnessing how Stroll senior acted in the paddock, stories of him planning to buy into Williams and then substitute Bottas with a driver, his junior can beat more easily does not sound too far off the line to me tbh.

My guess is that either Stroll Sr. buying into Williams and Stroll Jr. being confirmed as a driver will be announced together - or Stroll Sr. is still looking to buy another team. FI may be on the line. Or - the wildest version - perhaps Stroll Sr. is looking to buy Ferrari. :lol:

Okay, seriously, I doubt that Stroll Sr. will "just" give money, he will want to have formal influence to further promote his son. Negotiations are probably ongoing in this regard.

What can we expect from Lance Stroll if he is driving F1 next year? Lots of entertainment - if you call crashes and collisions entertaining.

Yes the Stroll's bought into Prema Racing so that Lance Stroll could be the #1 driver in the best F3 team, they also funded Prema Racing into GP2 ready for Stroll to drive there next season and they also poached a top engineer from the ART GP2 team. Now the Stroll's are going into F1 instead it's been reported they have sold their interests in Prema Racing with strong rumours of them trying to buy a holding in the Williams F1 team, the idea behind this I believe is too influence things on the driving side to favour Lance Stroll as this seems to be the way they operate.
Last edited by pokerman on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition