The drivers briefing footage is to be made avaliable

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
wire2004

The drivers briefing footage is to be made avaliable

Post by wire2004 »

http://f1broadcasting.co/2016/10/05/fom ... x-onwards/

Great step. I remember watching the senna documentary and senna going off on a rant in japan. Hopefully the drivers will not turn into robots over the footage being avaliable and we get to see the drivers in their natural form.

mikeyg123

Re: The drivers briefing footage is to be made avaliable

Post by mikeyg123 »

I think it's an error. IMO. The driver briefing needs to be a time for frank discussion. Not people concerned with how they are seen by the outside world.

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

Why would you assume things would be any different. From my conversations with Bob Varsha several years ago, driver briefings and emergency meetings still have cameras but the footage wasn't for public viewing. All that will change now is that we are going to see it.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

Ennis

Post by Ennis »

F1 MERCENARY wrote:Why would you assume things would be any different. From my conversations with Bob Varsha several years ago, driver briefings and emergency meetings still have cameras but the footage wasn't for public viewing. All that will change now is that we are going to see it.
Which may make PR savvy drivers consider what they're saying a little bit more, and may make teams instruct their drivers to be more PR friendly in the briefings..

I like this because its a step up from nothing, but I wouldn't be surprised if its dull viewing. It's not like the olden days where you had people debating because their life depended on it.

lucifers

Post by lucifers »

mikeyg123 wrote:I think it's an error. IMO. The driver briefing needs to be a time for frank discussion. Not people concerned with how they are seen by the outside world.
agree

Sutton

Post by Sutton »

mikeyg123 wrote:I think it's an error. IMO. The driver briefing needs to be a time for frank discussion. Not people concerned with how they are seen by the outside world.
Agree.
Can't say i have ever even considered being interested to see it. Leave them to it.

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Sutton wrote:
Agree.
Can't say i have ever even considered being interested to see it. Leave them to it.
:thumbup:
The end is near

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

According to Alonso (in the last race with Ferrari documentary), nobody speaks up in the meetings anyway. So on that basis, I suppose it doesn't really matter if they want to show them.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

James14

Post by James14 »

wire2004 wrote:http://f1broadcasting.co/2016/10/05/fom ... x-onwards/

Great step. I remember watching the senna documentary and senna going off on a rant in japan. Hopefully the drivers will not turn into robots over the footage being avaliable and we get to see the drivers in their natural form.
Back in the Senna era there were real genuine concerns about safety and in sport politics that the drivers would and should have got worked up about. But they are thankfully pretty much sorted nowadays.

Having said that I would still prefer to see it rather than say, the podium interviews for example.

Argentum

Post by Argentum »

Exediron wrote:
According to Alonso (in the last race with Ferrari documentary), nobody speaks up in the meetings anyway. So on that basis, I suppose it doesn't really matter if they want to show them.

In that case, why would anyone want to watch it?

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Argentum wrote:
Exediron wrote:
In that case, why would anyone want to watch it?
Search me. I don't want to.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

I may have watched it if the footage were released without the drivers knowing it was going to be released. But if they know it'll be released then they'll behave accordingly. Any viewing value is probably removed the second they know it might potentially be seen by the public.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

stratos

Post by stratos »

Jenson's Understeer wrote:I may have watched it if the footage were released without the drivers knowing it was going to be released. But if they know it'll be released then they'll behave accordingly. Any viewing value is probably removed the second they know it might potentially be seen by the public.
How would that work? A magic section in the TV listings that f1 drivers and all those who might tell them can't read?

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

stratos wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:I may have watched it if the footage were released without the drivers knowing it was going to be released. But if they know it'll be released then they'll behave accordingly. Any viewing value is probably removed the second they know it might potentially be seen by the public.
How would that work? A magic section in the TV listings that f1 drivers and all those who might tell them can't read?
Quite simply: if the footage were leaked online one time.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

I don't feel a burning desire to watch it, but I think it would be quite useful if a transcript was released. I know in the past that decisions regarding e.g. corner violations have been made during the briefing and there has been some confusion for the viewer as to what actually has been agreed (and why). A bit of transparency in the form of a summary or minutes would be quite good IMO, but I don't see a big problem with them filming it. It might be nice to get an insight into what concerns the drivers have and I can't think why they wouldn't raise them just because the cameras are on. I remember seeing some when Piquet spoke out about certain issues and he never felt afraid to hold back

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Long overdue. Race fans should not be kept in the dark more than the drivers on safety issues and on the rules.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

It's fine by me as long as we don't need to see more of Lewis snapchatting and taking selfies of his pant bulge.

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

To be honest I don't think I'll ever watch one unless going back to look for information about anything that happens after the fact. No interest at all to me. Agree with the argument that by releasing it any entertainment value will disappear now anyway, no one will say anything unless endorsed by the teams.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

So when is the drivers briefing and when will the footage be released?