Hamilton 2017

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Kev627

Hamilton 2017

Post by Kev627 »

Lewis Hamilton has been complaining about his bad luck particularly with his engine, openly asking why it is only his Mercedes engine that has been having troubles. Where do people think he'll be next year, still at Mercedes or moving to another team?
Your thoughts on this please...

mcdo

Re: Hamilton 2017

Post by mcdo »

There is absolutely nothing to suggest he'll be leaving Mercedes and at this point in time it would look mental to do so
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Garry1603

Post by Garry1603 »

Surely there's no way he would cut off his nose to spite his face by going elsewhere

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Force India looks more reliable. It has a Mercedes engine as well.
Feel The Fourth

GingerFurball

Post by GingerFurball »

lol this is a ridiculous topic.

If he does cut his nose off to spite his face, where's he going? Renault?

davidheath461

Post by davidheath461 »

GingerFurball wrote:lol this is a ridiculous topic.

Mclaren.

Alonso goes to Mercedes. Mclaren-Honda becomes the best package in 2017. Mercedes fall back.

GingerFurball

Post by GingerFurball »

davidheath461 wrote:

Mclaren.

Alonso goes to Mercedes. Mclaren-Honda becomes the best package in 2017. Mercedes fall back.
lol sounds about right.

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

He should definitely consider a swap with Max or Danny Ric.

:)
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

lucifers

Post by lucifers »

he aint going nowhere for now

Kev627

Post by Kev627 »

mcdo wrote:There is absolutely nothing to suggest he'll be leaving Mercedes and at this point in time it would look mental to do so
This is only the latest in a string of mechanical problems that have beset Hamilton's attempts to retain his title this year.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live, he said: "Someone doesn't want me to win this year.

"My question is to Mercedes. We have so many engines made for drives, but mine are the only ones failing this year.

We are fighting for the championship and only my engines are failing. It does not sit right with me.

Copied from The Mirror

jrwb6e

Post by jrwb6e »

GingerFurball wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:

Mclaren.

lol sounds about right.
By all means McLaren should want the switch. :o

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Kev627 wrote:
mcdo wrote:There is absolutely nothing to suggest he'll be leaving Mercedes and at this point in time it would look mental to do so
This is only the latest in a string of mechanical problems that have beset Hamilton's attempts to retain his title this year.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live, he said: "Someone doesn't want me to win this year.

"My question is to Mercedes. We have so many engines made for drives, but mine are the only ones failing this year.

We are fighting for the championship and only my engines are failing. It does not sit right with me.

Copied from The Mirror
Doesn't mean he wants to leave one of the most successful teams of all time while they're still at the peak of their powers
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

mcdo wrote:Doesn't mean he wants to leave one of the most successful teams of all time while they're still at the peak of their powers
I don't know, he did it before - Hamilton's whole reason for leaving McLaren was supposedly because they kept letting him down mechanically, and they were (and still are) a more successful team historically.

That said, it would probably be a bad idea. But the odds pointed towards it being a bad idea last time as well, and we all know how that turned out. Merc's time of dominance is almost certainly over in 2017, so if he can correctly predict the next dominant team by all means he should go join it!
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

stevey

Post by stevey »

Would merc want to let him go, a proven racer, when they don't have the car advantage. I know if I was a team boss I wouldn't and I certainly would not expect Nico to deliver as often if performance gap was neutralized.

fieldstvl

Post by fieldstvl »

Watch any of Hamilton's post-Malaysia video interviews, or read any of his post-Malaysia print interviews, and the idea of Hamilton wanting to leave Mercedes becomes totally absurd.

The only ones shouting conspiracy are the media and fans with bees in their bonnets.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Exediron wrote:
mcdo wrote:Doesn't mean he wants to leave one of the most successful teams of all time while they're still at the peak of their powers
I don't know, he did it before - Hamilton's whole reason for leaving McLaren was supposedly because they kept letting him down mechanically, and they were (and still are) a more successful team historically.

That said, it would probably be a bad idea. But the odds pointed towards it being a bad idea last time as well, and we all know how that turned out. Merc's time of dominance is almost certainly over in 2017, so if he can correctly predict the next dominant team by all means he should go join it!
I don't think 2012 was McLaren at the peak of their powers. They just about had the fastest car but were an operational mess
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Kev627 wrote:Lewis Hamilton has been complaining about his bad luck particularly with his engine, openly asking why it is only his Mercedes engine that has been having troubles. Where do people think he'll be next year, still at Mercedes or moving to another team?
He his contracted to Mercedes for the next 2 seasons, 2018 being his last, after that I wouldn't be surprised if he has looking to sign with them for another 3 years.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

pokerman wrote:
Kev627 wrote:Lewis Hamilton has been complaining about his bad luck particularly with his engine, openly asking why it is only his Mercedes engine that has been having troubles. Where do people think he'll be next year, still at Mercedes or moving to another team?
He his contracted to Mercedes for the next 2 seasons, 2018 being his last, after that I wouldn't be surprised if he has looking to sign with them for another 3 years.
Or retire?

He'll be 33 in 2018 and possibly a 5 time (or maybe 6 if Rosberg can't hold it together for the rest of the year) and hasn't he said he is looking at other projects outside of F1?
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:

But still he was able to leave McLaren because he was out of contract.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Jezza13 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Or retire?

He'll be 33 in 2018 and possibly a 5 time (or maybe 6 if Rosberg can't hold it together for the rest of the year) and hasn't he said he is looking at other projects outside of F1?
Yes when he finally retires but 33 is too young, he has stated before that he wants to carry on.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

GingerFurball

Post by GingerFurball »

Exediron wrote:

He left McLaren because by 2012 it became clear to him that McLaren could give him a car to win races but he wouldn't win titles with them. Same reason Alonso left Ferrari, ironically for McLaren.

Andy2402

Post by Andy2402 »

I'd love to see him go ferrari or red bull but it doesn't look likely . I think he will even stay Merc if they are 2nd/3rd best car as long as not that far back. If that's the case anyway a lot comes down to the driver market at the time

slide

Post by slide »

only an idiot would leave merc

Multi69

Post by Multi69 »

Far out he isn't going anywhere and the biggest thing to come out from incident is that it's truly amazing to see how one man's comments can be taken to heart by so many fans.

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

With the 2017 cars apparently being 'beasts', Hamilton should be in his element next year. He'll be at Merc.
#KeepFightingMichael

Herb

Post by Herb »

He'll be in Merc for 2017. Pretty much guaranteed.

I think I want to see him in Ferrari in a couple of years. Should they be able to get their act together.

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

davidheath461 wrote:

Mclaren.

lol. Another theory is that he will swap with Vettel and go to Ferrari instead in 2018
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

MasterRacer

Post by MasterRacer »

I really think Mercedes should cut him loose. Nico is on the same level now and Mercedes needs to start bringing through a younger driver.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

MasterRacer wrote:I really think Mercedes should cut him loose. Nico is on the same level now and Mercedes needs to start bringing through a younger driver.
So all it takes is mulitiple engine failures for Hamilton then Rosberg is on the same level as him, I'm not sure that Rosberg will be able to ride that particular horse forever?

Sure you might think that in a dominant car that Hamilton is expendable but things can change quite suddenly in F1 when you have big regulation changes, a Mercedes fan that is comfortable with Rosberg leading the team without a dominant car?

Anyway Hamilton still has 2 years left on his contract and I think you are whistling dixie in your hopes of him being sacked.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:I really think Mercedes should cut him loose. Nico is on the same level now and Mercedes needs to start bringing through a younger driver.
So all it takes is mulitiple engine failures for Hamilton then Rosberg is on the same level as him, I'm not sure that Rosberg will be able to ride that particular horse forever?

Sure you might think that in a dominant car that Hamilton is expendable but things can change quite suddenly in F1 when you have big regulation changes, a Mercedes fan that is comfortable with Rosberg leading the team without a dominant car?

Anyway Hamilton still has 2 years left on his contract and I think you are whistling dixie in your hopes of him being sacked.
I think he just reeled you in!
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

MasterRacer

Post by MasterRacer »

pokerman wrote: So all it takes is mulitiple engine failures for Hamilton then Rosberg is on the same level as him, I'm not sure that Rosberg will be able to ride that particular horse forever?

Be fair please! Yes Hamilton has had more bad luck this year, but it is not the only reason why Nico is winning this championship. Every weekend they are incredibly closely matched in qualifying, and both very evenly matched on race pace - so much so that whoever leads out of the first corner wins. They are generally racing at the same level.

I agree Mercedes is unlikely to sack him, unless he breaches something in his contract that avoids a huge compensation bill. I'm more thinking along the lines of mutual consent. If Hamilton really believes Mercedes are purposefully feeding his car bad engines for example, maybe both sides will agree to end the contract?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

MasterRacer wrote:
pokerman wrote: So all it takes is mulitiple engine failures for Hamilton then Rosberg is on the same level as him, I'm not sure that Rosberg will be able to ride that particular horse forever?

Be fair please! Yes Hamilton has had more bad luck this year, but it is not the only reason why Nico is winning this championship. Every weekend they are incredibly closely matched in qualifying, and both very evenly matched on race pace - so much so that whoever leads out of the first corner wins. They are generally racing at the same level.

I agree Mercedes is unlikely to sack him, unless he breaches something in his contract that avoids a huge compensation bill. I'm more thinking along the lines of mutual consent. If Hamilton really believes Mercedes are purposefully feeding his car bad engines for example, maybe both sides will agree to end the contract?
It is the main reason why Rosberg is leading the title race but that is motorsport were you are just as reliant on your machinery as yourself.

Hamilton has stated within the last few days how happy he is at Mercedes, any disillusionment is still being fanned by sections of the press which apparently Hamilton has got tired of talking to, and wished upon by some fans who want to see Hamilton in a worse car.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Asphalt_World wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I think he just reeled you in!
I wasn't aware of his posting history.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

MasterRacer

Post by MasterRacer »

pokerman wrote: It is the main reason why Rosberg is leading the title race but that is motorsport were you are just as reliant on your machinery as yourself.

Hamilton has stated within the last few days how happy he is at Mercedes, any disillusionment is still being fanned by sections of the press which apparently Hamilton has got tired of talking to, and wished upon by some fans who want to see Hamilton in a worse car.
Hamilton did start it though with his silly (albeit somewhat understandable) outburst. He probably regrets it now and maybe he is happy where he is. He isn't really showing much sign of happiness in Japan though.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

MasterRacer wrote:
pokerman wrote: It is the main reason why Rosberg is leading the title race but that is motorsport were you are just as reliant on your machinery as yourself.

Hamilton did start it though with his silly (albeit somewhat understandable) outburst. He probably regrets it now and maybe he is happy where he is. He isn't really showing much sign of happiness in Japan though.
Yes he started it but later was at pains to state how happy he is at Mercedes but the journalists just don't want to let it go because it's such a good story line.

Any unhappiness is because he can see the title slipping away.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

Yes he started it but later was at pains to state how happy he is at Mercedes but the journalists just don't want to let it go because it's such a good story line.

I also noticed that the very first thing he jumped to on the podium was to thank Mercedes, the guys, the team, the car, etc. etc. before ever discussing his race
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

They do it with everyone, though. Look at the Vettel storyline and how MA's comments now apparently mean the end of Vettel at Ferrari. Brundle's even saying it's a sign Vettel may soon be leaving F1.

The outburst is emotional and more likely to reflect current state of mind, although I fully agree it's dangerous to read too much into it. The PR statement is just that: PR, and I don't think anyone may take that as anything else.

Now I'm not saying that Lewis wants to leave Mercedes, as I doubt that very much. But equally PR statements can never really be taken at face value, not matter who says it.

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

To the people suggesting Lewis could leave Merc, where is he going to go? He tried to get in Red Bull before and they didn't want him. I can't see them wanting him now either with Dan R and Max V already there. Ferrari is a sinking ship, Hulk's apparently off to Renault so maybe Force India could give him a seat?

Does make you wonder why dominant teams pay their drivers so much money, doesn't it?
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

rivf1

Post by rivf1 »

Why on earth would he want to leave Mercedes? They are still going to have the best PU next season, they have obviously nailed the aero and chassis setup with the current rules. I see no reason they won't produce a beast of a car next season either.

Randine

Post by Randine »

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:

Mclaren.

lol. Another theory is that he will swap with Vettel and go to Ferrari instead in 2018
I think he would more likely go back to McLaren if they have a good turn around next year.
Red Bull are all about the young driver program, and Ferrari sacked Kimi back in 2008, Alonso in 2014 and who knows maybe Vettel next year.
Dan the man!