Please read the forum rules
Amon

Stoffel Vandoorne race driver 2017 for McLaren

Post by Amon »

F1 fan since 1989

Zoue

Re: Stoffel Vandoorne race driver 2017 for McLaren

Post by Zoue »

On the one hand I'm sad to see Button go, as I think he still had it and if McLaren finally come good next year, which I think they may well do, it will be a bit rough for him to have put in all the effort in the bad years and watch someone else reap the rewards.

OTOH, I'm excited at seeing another promising talent enter F1. By all accounts one to watch!

Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

This is good news, and should be exciting to watch! I am sorry to see Button go, but it would've been a considerable injustice if Vandoorne never made it to F1, and I am looking forward to seeing what he can do next year.
Qualifying Prediction Game 2019 Champion [8 wins]
Pick 10: 2016: 22nd | 2017: 21st | 2018: 3rd | 2019: 20th
Top Three: 2016: 9th [6th] | 2017: 16th [6th] | 2018: 4th [4th] | 2019: 3rd [1st]

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Does anyone else get the sneaking suspicion they're only doing it this way because they're actually quite concerned Alonso might rage-quit after he sees the 2017 cars?

Good news anyway. Vandoorne needed to be in F1, and he'd made it quite clear lately that if Macca wouldn't give him a seat he'd go elsewhere; and as for Button, while I'd have liked to see him in F1 for a few more seasons, I think he probably made a good call avoiding Williams. They're on a distinct downwards trajectory, and finishing his career with a measure of dignity instead of tooling around in a backmarker has something to be said for it. I would have liked to see him break the all-time starts record, however.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Classic

Post by Classic »

Has Ron thought this through properly? Does he not remember what happened the last time McLaren paired Nando with a rookie.

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

Stoffel should've been on the grid this year. Supremely, supremely talented. I would say since Lewis came into F1, I've not had higher expectations for a rookie. I've no doubt that given the right car, he's going to win a lot of races. Be great if McLaren can be right there with Ferrari/Mercedes/Red Bull next year and we have three/four teams capable of winning races. A hell of a lot of talent across those driver pairings.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x8
2020: 9th | 2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Classic wrote:Has Ron thought this through properly? Does he not remember what happened the last time McLaren paired Nando with a rookie.

Hence JB being kept on retainer... :lol:
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.

Amon

Post by Amon »

Stoffel was on the Belgian TV channel RTBF (French spoken) in the commentary seat for the Italian GP. Actually they often do ask him for the job. Of course his recent signing as F1 racing driver was frequently brought up. I enjoy his commentary but I will surely look forward to his first full F1 season at a hopefully even more competitive McLaren.
F1 fan since 1989

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

I wonder now that Stoffel has been confirmed for next year at McLaren will he continue in SF, I can't see what is to be gained in driving a car with an inferior engine and not much chance of winning?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

pokerman wrote:I wonder now that Stoffel has been confirmed for next year at McLaren will he continue in SF, I can't see what is to be gained in driving a car with an inferior engine and not much chance of winning?

they may view it as any racing experience is better than none

mds

Post by mds »

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:I wonder now that Stoffel has been confirmed for next year at McLaren will he continue in SF, I can't see what is to be gained in driving a car with an inferior engine and not much chance of winning?

they may view it as any racing experience is better than none

Well yes, actually. Not being in the best/equal car and trying to extract everything from it is probably rather similar to what he'll have to do next year, unlike ever before in his career.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

angrypirate

Post by angrypirate »

Seanie wrote:
Classic wrote:Has Ron thought this through properly? Does he not remember what happened the last time McLaren paired Nando with a rookie.

Hence JB being kept on retainer... :lol:

I dont think there is anything LOL about it - i think its probably the truth.

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

Let's see if he is as good as he is "said" to be. A young sensation was touted to be one of thinnest best things in F1 and he's not doing so well in a yellow car in his first season, but the car is a bit of a dog and difficult to manage in most regards. It is uncertain if he will be given a 2nd season to try and do better, but everything I've heard leads to him being ousted. Sad because it's difficult enough to enter F1 and do well in a decent car relative to your fellow competitors and I feel everyone who is brought up with such expectations should be given a chance in a decent car at least. Next year's car is all new and not a patchwork like this year's car so I'd expect it would be a more competitive package to drive and he should be given at least half of 2017 to see how he… actually both their drivers do.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

rodH

Post by rodH »

Exediron wrote:Does anyone else get the sneaking suspicion they're only doing it this way because they're actually quite concerned Alonso might rage-quit after he sees the 2017 cars?

I thought similar, I think JB might be sticking around in case Fernando bails to another series if Mc isn't competitive next year and F1 is still the way it is now.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

F1 MERCENARY wrote:Let's see if he is as good as he is "said" to be. A young sensation was touted to be one of thinnest best things in F1 and he's not doing so well in a yellow car in his first season, but the car is a bit of a dog and difficult to manage in most regards. It is uncertain if he will be given a 2nd season to try and do better, but everything I've heard leads to him being ousted. Sad because it's difficult enough to enter F1 and do well in a decent car relative to your fellow competitors and I feel everyone who is brought up with such expectations should be given a chance in a decent car at least. Next year's car is all new and not a patchwork like this year's car so I'd expect it would be a more competitive package to drive and he should be given at least half of 2017 to see how he… actually both their drivers do.

You've lost me with this young sensation you are talking about. :?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

F1 MERCENARY wrote:Let's see if he is as good as he is "said" to be. A young sensation was touted to be one of thinnest best things in F1 and he's not doing so well in a yellow car in his first season, but the car is a bit of a dog and difficult to manage in most regards. It is uncertain if he will be given a 2nd season to try and do better, but everything I've heard leads to him being ousted. Sad because it's difficult enough to enter F1 and do well in a decent car relative to your fellow competitors and I feel everyone who is brought up with such expectations should be given a chance in a decent car at least. Next year's car is all new and not a patchwork like this year's car so I'd expect it would be a more competitive package to drive and he should be given at least half of 2017 to see how he… actually both their drivers do.

First season, Yellow car... You're not talking about Palmer are you?

If you are: who on earth ever touted him to be an F1 sensation?

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:First season, Yellow car... You're not talking about Palmer are you?

At first I thought the post was clearly about Ocon, but then I remembered he didn't actually debut with Renault, so...

Best guess: the poster forgot that this isn't Magnussen's first year.
Second guess: the poster is one of the few who expected anything out of Palmer.

Only time will tell.
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:First season, Yellow car... You're not talking about Palmer are you?

At first I thought the post was clearly about Ocon, but then I remembered he didn't actually debut with Renault, so...

Only time will tell.

Either way neither driver was considered to be a big sensation upon joining Renault.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Only time will tell.

Either way neither driver was considered to be a big sensation upon joining Renault.

True, but in Magnussen's case that's only because it wasn't his first year. He was considered a big sensation when he debuted with McLaren, and when he qualified top 5 and landed a podium in his first race many were quick to confirm the hype. It was only later, as the season dragged on and Button started to dominate him more and more conclusively, that his stock started to fall.

Palmer, however, was viewed as an average GP2 veteran, then a weak champion in a year when Vandoorne (at least) was clearly better, then a weak F1 signing. He has never had high expectations attached to him.

Amon

Post by Amon »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:

First season, Yellow car... You're not talking about Palmer are you?

I almost thought he was talking about Kevin's dad Jan Magnussen who was very dominant in British Formula 3 in 1994 winning 14 of the 18 races and naturally came with high expectations in F1 with Stewart. However the Stewart cars were white.
F1 fan since 1989

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Only time will tell.

True, but in Magnussen's case that's only because it wasn't his first year. He was considered a big sensation when he debuted with McLaren, and when he qualified top 5 and landed a podium in his first race many were quick to confirm the hype. It was only later, as the season dragged on and Button started to dominate him more and more conclusively, that his stock started to fall.

Palmer, however, was viewed as an average GP2 veteran, then a weak champion in a year when Vandoorne (at least) was clearly better, then a weak F1 signing. He has never had high expectations attached to him.

I would disagree that Magnussen was ever seen as a sensation, he won the FR3.5 title after years of not winning anything apart from the odd race now and again, the year before he finished 7th in FR3.5, a bit similar to Palmer really, after years of trying he finally won a major title after previously never coming close.

Yes he was talked up by McLaren, I'm sure that Perez probably was as well?

Vandoorne is not a driver that needed multiple years to prove himself, he won his debut races in both FR3.5 and GP2, these not being reverse grid lottery races, he out qualified Button on his F1 debut and scored McLaren's first point this season in a car not as competitive as it is now, Vandoorne is a driver that has proven himself on numerous occasions.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Nosebuckle

Post by Nosebuckle »

As if Vandoorne needed to underscore McLaren's choice to give him a race seat next season, he's taken his first win in Super Formula.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/09/10/ ... rmula-win/

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Nosebuckle wrote:As if Vandoorne needed to underscore McLaren's choice to give him a race seat next season, he's taken his first win in Super Formula.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/09/10/ ... rmula-win/

Yes but unfortunately he only scored half points for the win because of the unusual way they score some of the races.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition