For me,

I'll be a little unconventional,

Hulkenberg, Perez & Alonso.
Feel The Fourth

KingVoid

Re: Driver(s) of the Day - 2016 Belgium Grand Prix

Post by KingVoid »

Alonso without a shadow of doubt.

I personally think that 21st to 3rd flattered Lewis a lot today. He was incredibly lucky to get up to 5th early on (Alonso with an inferior car starting behind was 4th), and then his race post-red flag was very disappointing.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Can't really say anyone stood out for me. A lot of the big gainers did so because of the safety car and other incidents.

Went for the new boy Ocon because he seemed to keep his nose out of trouble in a trouble filled race.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

GingerFurball

Post by GingerFurball »

Alonso.

Lojik

Post by Lojik »

KingVoid wrote:Alonso without a shadow of doubt.

I personally think that 21st to 3rd flattered Lewis a lot today. He was incredibly lucky to get up to 5th early on (Alonso with an inferior car starting behind was 4th), and then his race post-red flag was very disappointing.
I also voted Alonso for driver of the day, but it is amusing to see you say Hamilton was just very lucky with the safety car when Alonso benefited every bit as much.

Badgeronimous

Post by Badgeronimous »

Hamilton, on paper, has had an amazing race. Reality was he did nothing spectacular, kept it tidy and had it all unfold very kindly.

Raikkonen had a good recovery drive.

Alonso kept the McLaren there but got the same breaks Hamilton did.

Rosberg did what he needed to do.

For such an entertaining race, it's hard to think of a driver that really excelled today.
Last edited by Badgeronimous on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

Alonso the stand out with Danny Ric and Lewis nipping at his heels for this one.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Rosberg could do no more. Ricciardo could do no more. I feel Lewis could have nabbed 2nd if Merc had a better strategy (i.e. it's Merc's fault he didn't play for 2nd in the end). And Alonso did the impossible

Gonna have to go with my favourite, lads :D

Nobody in a million years thought Fernando would nab a point, never mind 6 of them!
Last edited by mcdo on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Prema

Post by Prema »

Alonso - for not being a sitting duck (and driving like Alonso).

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

I voted for Hulk.

Worst driver is Max for sure, right from turn1 when both Ferrari got ahead he should have accepted it and get on with it. He ruined this race. If everyone drives like he does then we will crashes every race. Kimi did well not to hit him in Hungary and here at high speed he could have easily hit him
Last edited by Mercedes-Benz on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

Lojik wrote:

I also voted Alonso for driver of the day, but it is amusing to see you say Hamilton was just very lucky with the safety car when Alonso benefited every bit as much.
Alonso was much better than Hamilton post-red flag though. I don't think Alonso could have done anymore, while Lewis lost a 2nd place because he chewed through his soft tyres.

optimisteprime

Post by optimisteprime »

Lojik wrote:

Yes Alonso benefitted just as much - but he was in a McLaren and did a good job to defend his position against much faster cars at the end. Lewis on the other hand was in a Mercedes, and at the restart he just had two cars between him and Ricciardo a couple of seconds up the road (as an aside, one of those cars was Alonso who started behind Lewis and overtook him), yet at the end he was ten seconds behind the Red Bull. A good performance from Lewis should have been 2nd place, or at least putting pressure on Daniel. The fact he started on the back row is irrelevant - he really started 5th after the red flag (and didn't do anything before the red flag to earn that fifth - he just got lucky) and from there he only moved forward two places, overtaking two much slower cars to get there.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Lojik wrote:

What is more amusing to see? Hamilton in 3rd (podium) or Alonso in 7th (considering he hardly drove his car during the entire weekend).
Feel The Fourth

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Outstanding
Ricciardo
Alonso
Hülkenberg

very good
Hamilton
Rosberg
Räikkönen
Perez

disappointing
Verstappen - irresposible driving
Vettel - causing first corner collision

Laz_T800

Post by Laz_T800 »

KingVoid wrote:
Lojik wrote:

Alonso was much better than Hamilton post-red flag though. I don't think Alonso could have done anymore, while Lewis lost a 2nd place because he chewed through his soft tyres.
I think Hamiltons tyre issues were down to how the car was set up to overtake. I wouldn't blame him for that.
He and Alonso were both drivers of the day for me along with Ricciardo.
Verstappen is driving so close to the edge that i fear for anyone trying an overtake on him. Balls bigger than his brains.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

2 votes for Verstappen?? I don't know how anyone could vote for him. Even a driver like Bottas who has been pretty solid most races has had 0 votes for one of the drivers of the day several races in a row I think. Verstappen did far worse in this race than Bottas has done in any race this season and he still gets 2 votes. Judging by what usually happens, I assume that number will keep climbing. Is it because he is young and doing badly is still very good for a young driver?
Last edited by TheGiantHogweed on Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j man

Post by j man »

Sergio Perez. He got caught out by the Safety Car / red flag situation (think he ended up down around 10th?) yet still recovered to finish right behind his team mate.

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

j man wrote:Sergio Perez. He got caught out by the Safety Car / red flag situation (think he ended up down around 10th?) yet still recovered to finish right behind his team mate.
Perez is a fair shout on reflection, he kinda flew under the radar for me during the race but as you say he did very well.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

optimisteprime

Post by optimisteprime »

j man wrote:Sergio Perez. He got caught out by the Safety Car / red flag situation (think he ended up down around 10th?) yet still recovered to finish right behind his team mate.
Hulkenberg got caught out in the same way didn't he? He'd just managed to build up enough of a gap in the first few laps that he was still in a strong position. That's why I'd give him the nod, he earned his position ahead of Perez and hung on to it.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

optimisteprime wrote:
Lojik wrote:

Yes Alonso benefitted just as much - but he was in a McLaren and did a good job to defend his position against much faster cars at the end. Lewis on the other hand was in a Mercedes, and at the restart he just had two cars between him and Ricciardo a couple of seconds up the road (as an aside, one of those cars was Alonso who started behind Lewis and overtook him), yet at the end he was ten seconds behind the Red Bull. A good performance from Lewis should have been 2nd place, or at least putting pressure on Daniel. The fact he started on the back row is irrelevant - he really started 5th after the red flag (and didn't do anything before the red flag to earn that fifth - he just got lucky) and from there he only moved forward two places, overtaking two much slower cars to get there.
Plus he pulled out one of his amazing starts. Went from last to 12th I believe. Amazing

Sevenfest

Post by Sevenfest »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:2 votes for Verstappen?? I don't know how anyone could vote for him. Even a driver like Bottas who has been pretty solid most races has had 0 votes for one of the day several races in a row I think. Verstappen did far worse in this race than Bottas has done in any race this season and he still gets 2 votes. Judging by what usually happens, I assume taht number will keep climbing. Is it because he is young and doing badly is still very good for a young driver?
For the same reason people can vote for Hamilton when he's had a trash race. Some people want to watch the world burn!

I've been really impressed by Verstappen this season - I can't defend today in any way. Terrible moves on Vettel and Raikkonen and - worst of all IMO - no comeback on them. If anything he's just been given validation by Christian Horner so will continue to feel he was in the right. I hope for his sake he doesn't have a huge smash but he needs to know the limits now, before he can evolve as a driver in this sense.

On topic: I voted Alonso, Raikkonen and Ricciardo. Could have also added Hamilton, Perez & Hulkenberg but those 3 stood out for me. Rosberg did well and picked up the win but honestly could've done a doughnut at La Source every lap from Lap 30 onwards and still won so I feel I can't put him above the others!

GingerFurball

Post by GingerFurball »

optimisteprime wrote:
Hulkenberg got caught out in the same way didn't he? He'd just managed to build up enough of a gap in the first few laps that he was still in a strong position. That's why I'd give him the nod, he earned his position ahead of Perez and hung on to it.
Hulkenburg pitted under the safety car a lap or 2 before the race was red flagged.

Would have been interesting to see if Ricciardo had the straight line speed to pass him if he hadn't pitted and got a tyre change under the red flag.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Kimi for me. Was pretty pacy and pulled off some good overtakes. Only his experience prevented Max from taking him out for the 2nd time and he'd definitely have been a contender but for the first lap shunt for which he was blameless. Missed opportunity through no fault of his own

Pullrod

Post by Pullrod »

It is fair to vote Alonso as the Driver of the Day, but would you expect Hamilton to do Banzai moves at the start to gain the max number of places?? (In China he was collected by Nasr whilst starting last)
Hamilton is fighting for the championship and MUST be cautious at the start so to retire here was really not an option, while Alonso is fighting for his pride. Two different situations but whatever. :D

Hamilton spent most of the free practices on the medium tyres and the plan was to use them for most of the race.
In hindsight he should have stayed on the medium compound at the restart because soft tyres were not working on his car at all but Mercedes know better I guess.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

GingerFurball wrote:
optimisteprime wrote:
Hulkenburg pitted under the safety car a lap or 2 before the race was red flagged.

Would have been interesting to see if Ricciardo had the straight line speed to pass him if he hadn't pitted and got a tyre change under the red flag.
I thought Force India had positioned Hulk well to fight for the win before the red flag! I'm sure they feel quite unlucky despite the strong result
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Alonso for me

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

Alonso, he was a warrior today. I also gave one to Rosberg just because he did keep his nose out of trouble, and Ricciardo for being the best of the rest (by a mile).

It's painfully obvious that even with tires as a potential handicap, the Mercedes cars are still unGodly dominant. Despite the fact that Hamilton started on the back row, the only thing that stood in his way for second was the Red Bulls and Ferraris. Max Verstappen made sure that one Red Bull and both Ferraris were out of the picture, leaving just Ricciardo as Hamilton's target. And he did not finish ahead of him, thus in no way can I consider his race anything worthy of praise.
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

Aussie Grit

Post by Aussie Grit »

Zoue wrote:Kimi for me. Was pretty pacy and pulled off some good overtakes. Only his experience prevented Max from taking him out for the 2nd time and he'd definitely have been a contender but for the first lap shunt for which he was blameless. Missed opportunity through no fault of his own
Not a huge fan of kimi, but i have to agree, loved watching him.
Supporting Alonso, Ricciardo and Hulk.

Find it hard to resist responding to stupid posts.

Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

I went with Alonso, Kimi, and Hülkenberg. If the vote were down to only one, I'd probably have gone with Alonso; I think he definitely outperformed the car today. Kimi obviously didn't get a very good end result, but it was through no fault of his own, and ninth from a lap down is a good recovery. Hülkenberg was running strong for most of the race, and it looked like he had a real chance at the podium for much of it. Honorable mention to Ricciardo and Hamilton, but due to circumstance, both had a relatively easy time of it -- Ricciardo once he managed to avoid the first lap chaos, and Hamilton because of said chaos and the great car advantage. If it was a question of picking five, I would've thrown them on, though.

I'm also surprised that Verstappen got votes with the way he was driving. He's had some really good performances to be sure, but this race was not one of them, and I hope he can reign it in without causing a massive accident some day.
Image + 2020
Qualifying Prediction 2019 Champion [8 wins]
Top Three 2019 Third, Team First [Drive Sauber]
Top Three 2020 First, Team First [Drive Sauber]
Group Pick 'Em 2020 Second Place [2 wins]

Colesy917

Post by Colesy917 »

Alonso, Hulkenberg and Ricciardo for me.

Kimi unlucky, nothing was his fault today.
Raikkonen Bottas Ricciardo

Thanks for the memories Nico

WHoff78

Post by WHoff78 »

Tough to call with so many out of position making it tough to compare team mates. Hamilton was quickly past Alonso of the start but being on the outside had to ease of as a Ferrari was sat in front of him. I think the most impressive thing about Hamilton today was that he drove fairly conservatively and took advantage of the carnage in front. The only exception possibly when taking hulkenberg the first time but hard to say as that FI went pretty well. Think the start played a big role in the FI's races today with Perez also getting caught out being the collision and having to go very wide, dropping him back to around 10th. He came back strongly though and although Nico appeared slightly quicker of the two taking traffic into account have to give DOTD to Perez.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

UnlikeUday wrote:For me,

I'll be a little unconventional,

Hulkenberg, Perez & Alonso.
No that sounds very conventional for you :)

Don't disagree with your picks though.

infi24r

Post by infi24r »

Alonso, Ricciardo, Hulkenberg.

Not sure why people are voting Hamilton. He was right behind Daniel at the restart and couldn't do anything about it.

2fast

Post by 2fast »

Nico Hulkenberg
too fast to slow down

Andy2402

Post by Andy2402 »

Hulk, alonso, rosberg

Nico did what he needed to do managed it from the front well. Hulk had a measured race. Alonso probably stands above both given machinery

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

Hulk and Kimi.

theferret

Post by theferret »

Chose Hulk, Ricciardo and Hamilton, but really should have chosen Alonso instead of Hamilton.

Special mention to Rosberg who bounced back to win comfortably after some poor recent form, and Perez.
NH#1: Quick Nick Heidfeld
NH#2: HULK SMASH

PF1 Pick 10 Podiums: 6 (2nd IND '11; 1st JPN '12; 1st MCO '13; 3rd DEU '16; 3rd USA '16, 3rd MEX '16)

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

theferret wrote:Chose Hulk, Ricciardo and Hamilton, but really should have chosen Alonso instead of Hamilton.

Special mention to Rosberg who bounced back to win comfortably after some poor recent form, and Perez.
Not sure how Alonso's race is considered 'great'?

He had a great start, and the red flag cemented this. Button had already been punted off - but had qualified very well.

The red flags changed the entire race - and some drivers benefited. Alonso along with Lewis was one of those drivers.

Anyway - for me personally, it was interesting to see that those with the best cars were unable to get back to the front.

Odd race - edit, and I could have done without the saving tyres etc. stint ....

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:Alonso, he was a warrior today. I also gave one to Rosberg just because he did keep his nose out of trouble, and Ricciardo for being the best of the rest (by a mile).

It's painfully obvious that even with tires as a potential handicap, the Mercedes cars are still unGodly dominant. Despite the fact that Hamilton started on the back row, the only thing that stood in his way for second was the Red Bulls and Ferraris. Max Verstappen made sure that one Red Bull and both Ferraris were out of the picture, leaving just Ricciardo as Hamilton's target. And he did not finish ahead of him, thus in no way can I consider his race anything worthy of praise.
Fair enough you don't praise Hamiltons drive and I don't think it was great but your reasons are bad.
First of all Ricciardo started 5th and Hamilton at the back. Hamilton made 1 extra pit stop due to Mercs strategy.
Then the SC helped Hamilton but the red flag helped Ricciardo as he could change his damaged front wing and Hamilton had tyre advanatage at that point but once the red flag come out Ricciardo could change tyres.
The Redbull was much quicker in the middle sector due to how Hamiltons car was setup. After the red flag Hamilton was set for 3rd. With just a SC he would of battled for the win.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

theferret wrote:Chose Hulk, Ricciardo and Hamilton, but really should have chosen Alonso instead of Hamilton.

Tbh there will be even more pressure on Rosberg to deliver next weekend when his main competitor is about.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018