Funny Article on F1 as an Olympic Sport

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
sandman1347

Funny Article on F1 as an Olympic Sport

Post by sandman1347 »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/36937800

I think it's absurd but I do like the idea of putting all of these guys in identical machinery for a one-off race. I remember back in the 80s they used to actually have a race like that in tin tops and Senna almost ran Prost off the road in it :lol: .

Of course there is the question of who builds the cars...I'm guessing it would have to be either a collaborative effort or the car would need to be built by a manufacturer that is not actually involved in F1.

So who do you think would win the medals?

Jenson's Understeer

Re: Funny Article on F1 as an Olympic Sport

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

Given they've been involved with F1 (Haas and Hispania), FE, Indycar, GP2/GP3 and WSR in recent years, I would imagine Dallara would supply the chassis. It'd probably be a reliable but generic car - they'd want it to be as reliable as it could be as having the gold determined by a DNF wouldn't reflect well - but that would also allow guys (and girls) from other open wheel disciplines to participate. So you'd get F1 drivers, ex-F1 drivers, FE, Indycar, guys from junior formulae, WEC... maybe even other series like Nascar. Kind of like a better, fulller version of the RoC field. I think it would be more than one race, too. If you had the demand and had 100 entrants, for instance, you'd have to have five qualifying races where the top four all qualify for the final.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Go Karting for under 20's perhaps. All identical cars. Would be fine. Problem is, even children are often tied up to sponsors so probably couldn't all drive the same make of kart!
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

shay550

Post by shay550 »

This brings up something I think F1 should experiment with - Non-championship rounds. It would be a great way to try new things, halo, qualifying ideas, drivers etc, without the fear of reprisals. There was a time until the early 80's when there were non-championship rounds. The regular F1 season should be about fifteen/sixteen races, and there could be three to four non-championship races a year.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

The winners medal would probably be the lightest piece of Gold Hamilton's had round his neck in years.

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

mikeyg123 wrote:The winners medal would probably be the lightest piece of Gold Hamilton's had round his neck in years.
:lol:
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

I wouldn't mind an "Olympic Grand Prix".

I don't think it should be an Olympic event as such and it shouldn't give out medals for the country of the driver etc. but simply every 4 years there could be a Grand Prix in the country where the Olympics are being held while the Olympics are going on.

And TV rights should be free to the Olympic coverage provider in each country, so the BBC for the UK etc. It would be a good way to promote the sport alongside the Olympics.

moby

Post by moby »

If they raced "virtually" the cars really could be identical, and all the team owners could hold their own PR event around it where ever they wanted to.

Amon

Post by Amon »

That was a fun read but I don't think motorsport should be part of the Olympics. I don't think the presence of equestrian is really a good argument of having a motorsport event. A horse is not a machine.
F1 fan since 1989

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

shay550 wrote:This brings up something I think F1 should experiment with - Non-championship rounds. It would be a great way to try new things, halo, qualifying ideas, drivers etc, without the fear of reprisals. There was a time until the early 80's when there were non-championship rounds. The regular F1 season should be about fifteen/sixteen races, and there could be three to four non-championship races a year.
I like the idea of having races that aren't part of the championship but maybe only 1 or 2. Shortening the season to 15-16 races would be a bad call IMO but maybe 18 races with a couple of interesting events. Certainly I think the fans would relish a spec race for bragging rights among drivers.

Amon

Post by Amon »

sandman1347 wrote:
shay550 wrote:This brings up something I think F1 should experiment with - Non-championship rounds. It would be a great way to try new things, halo, qualifying ideas, drivers etc, without the fear of reprisals. There was a time until the early 80's when there were non-championship rounds. The regular F1 season should be about fifteen/sixteen races, and there could be three to four non-championship races a year.
I like the idea of having races that aren't part of the championship but maybe only 1 or 2. Shortening the season to 15-16 races would be a bad call IMO but maybe 18 races with a couple of interesting events. Certainly I think the fans would relish a spec race for bragging rights among drivers.
The problem with a calendar of 20-21 races as we have now is when 1 team is dominant it feels way too long and people were wishing it would be over halfway already and could look forward to next season.
F1 fan since 1989

SnakeSVT2003

Post by SnakeSVT2003 »

mikeyg123 wrote:The winners medal would probably be the lightest piece of Gold Hamilton's had round his neck in years.

:x .......... :frown: .......... :-| .......... :) .......... :proud: .......... :D .......... :lol:

I tried not to laugh but it's funny 'cause it's true.

As for motorsport in the Olympics, a one-make event with heats and a final, with cars provided by a company from the host nation (if possible) would be great. The simpler the design, the better.

I think Rallying used to be an Olympic sport. I would be for introducing that but I think that might be financial overkill for the event organizers.
"No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning."
Jean-Pierre Sarti

minchy

Post by minchy »

So straight away the article said all identical cars....... erm, that's not F1 then!
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

mac_d

Post by mac_d »

Interesting idea though I don't like it for the Olympics.

First thought: Would we have seen a Beijing GP Street Circuit or gone to Shanghai? Would we have seen a London Street Circuit or raced at Silverstone or another UK circuit?

Second thought: I guess we'd see pretty few F1 drivers actually compete. Would F1 drivers, especially those in top teams, be allowed by their teams to race? It seems risky to me. You have a race where pretty much only one or two races is going to matter. You have folk trying to make a name for themselves. I could see some very adventurous moves happening, and also some reckless ones.

Third thought: Even with a car as reliable as it could be, what if a component blows? What if Driver A loses it and hits Driver B in a way that Driver B could basically have done nothing to avoid it? I'd feel it was a bit unfair punishing those drivers. With an F1 calendar of 20 or so races it can at least hopefully even out. I don't really like the idea of Olympic sports having such reliance on a piece of equipment that can fail so easily.

However, if say an eccentric billionaire was able to secure the top drivers in the world and pit them against each other in a variety of motorsports (Open wheel circuit racing, qualifying, rally stages, rally cross etc) or even just open wheel racing, I'd absolutely watch that. F1 stars, rally guys, Indy guys, up-and-comers and the like all racing in equal machinery.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Amon wrote:That was a fun read but I don't think motorsport should be part of the Olympics. I don't think the presence of equestrian is really a good argument of having a motorsport event. A horse is not a machine.
A bicycle is though.

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

As is the Bob Sled, Luge, Sailboats, Sculling Boats and possibly others.

The best solution would be straight up TAG or Shifter Karts, or both types (track & field, swimming and diving feature 79 different classifications) - LOL), following the same qualifying format as Track and Field and swimming events. The difference being that all qualifying can be done the same day, given there is enough time to squeeze in all qualy heats, and run the races the following day.

It's a pure and basic as racing gets and comes down to whom is better at maximizing performance from identical machinery.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

Pietkok

Post by Pietkok »

mac_d wrote:Third thought: Even with a car as reliable as it could be, what if a component blows? What if Driver A loses it and hits Driver B in a way that Driver B could basically have done nothing to avoid it? I'd feel it was a bit unfair punishing those drivers. With an F1 calendar of 20 or so races it can at least hopefully even out. I don't really like the idea of Olympic sports having such reliance on a piece of equipment that can fail so easily
Don't think that would be a reason for not doing it (see cycling/short track speed skating). But if we're ever going to see something like this, it's probably going to be from a rich sponsor like you suggested.

donr

Post by donr »

F1 as an Olympic event, no.
A "support" event at the Olympics, absolutely.
All the normal rules, It just happens to take place at the same time/place as the Olympics. Just replace the European Grand Prix with the Olympic Grand Prix.

But, the host nations spend way to much money as it is. Building the garage facility that is demanded By F1 these days, for one race would be truly foolish. If they could get by with a Nascar/Indycar grade paddock/garage & a separate pit lane, it may be a possibility.

2fast

Post by 2fast »

We used to have A1 race, where is it now?

If only A1 is still around, then it might be put every 4 years in Olympic. :twisted:
too fast to slow down

rustyiesty

Post by rustyiesty »

Karting, Rallycross, and Superbikes strike me as the forms of Motorsport best suited for the Olympics. Cheaper, safer, more universal and aimed at a younger audience etc.

I do wonder why Squash is not in the Olympics. Motorsport and Lacrosse would add some nice diversity as well. What about snowmobile and ice racing in the Winter Olympics?
F1 Fan for 78% of my life and counting!

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

NO

Formula One is a motorized sport, and for it to get accepted as a true Olympic sport is difficult, at best. It may be accepted as a side-show in support of the Olympics, but it will be just that, a support side-show, not the main act, for the truly prestigious competition(s).

It pains me to see some people accepting that Formula One would not be the main show, but rather some secondary entertainment. Additionally, the prestige of the World Driver's Championship would be severely diluted because there would be something on a higher level, an Olympic medal, they come around only every four years.

If Formula One can not stand on it's own merits and requires to be tied into some other activities, then this series deserves a quick death.
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.