How should the FIA tackle track limit abuse?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
ALESI

How should the FIA tackle track limit abuse?

Post by ALESI »

So the FIA have announced that they are going to monitor two corners at Hungary with electronic sensors. While I applaud this and hope that it leads to every corner of every track being monitored, it will still lead to penalties (albeit fairly applied - presumably) and potentially race altering outcomes.

Wouldn't it be better to prevent the drivers using the limits of the track in the first place?

I can't actually see why there needs to be kerbs (other than to mark the outside of the track) and can see even less reason why the cars should be allowed to drive on them, and even less reason to see why the cars should be allowed to exceed the kerbs.

Okay, I know the rule is that you must keep a wheel over the white line, so why not make the kerbs the exact width of the distance from the inside of the wheel that's staying on the track? This would then mean that any car that went any further than the outside edge of the kerb had exceeded the track limit.

Personally I can't actually see why they can't have something like the old Armco (made of squishy material if necessary) to keep the drivers on the track. The safety argument really doesn't hold water because the FIA is perfectly happy for the cars to race at Baku, at high speed between concrete blocks and Monaco of course.

Or, aren't the kerbs at Monza super high? Maybe that's the answer?

So how would you keep the cars on the track and stop the drivers cheating?
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

chetan_rao

Re: How should the FIA tackle track limit abuse?

Post by chetan_rao »

I know NOT having run-off areas is no longer an option, but how about doing what a lot of people on here have been suggesting for a long time: HIGHLY abrasive run-offs?

Leave something like a car's width (or two) of run-off with regular asphalt beyond track limits (to accommodate two wheels outside track limits or a minor excursion inadvertently caused by a wheel-to-wheel duel), everything outside that is made of super abrasive material that'll destroy tires performance-wise and merit either a tire swap or a performance compromise, depending on how bad the off-limits excursion is. No safety issues, and drivers would at least try hard to stay within the lines.

Reasonable?
Last edited by chetan_rao on Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

Keep it simple. Bring back grass and gravel, raise the kerbs just a little. Not high enough to launch cars through the air but enough that cars can't run over them and still corner completely flat. Circuits that look like those we saw at the turn of the century, but with 15 years further advance in car safety and barrier technology.

I know there is the point about keeping cars in the race but the vast majority of the time a driver goes wide through their own fault. They don't deserve to stay in the race if they get themselves into the gravel or grass so deep they can't get back out again.

I know a lot of viewers, I among them, are fed up of the amount of stewarding and the inevitable differences in decision making between different stewards. Grass and gravel would eliminate most of the track limits stuff. It's bad for the sport trying to explain why drivers can run wide at some corners and not at others.
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker

stratos

Post by stratos »

chetan_rao wrote:I know NOT having run-off areas is no longer an option, but how about doing what a lot of people on here have been suggesting for a long time: HIGHLY abrasive run-offs?

Leave something like a car's width (or two) of run-off with regular asphalt beyond track limits (to accommodate two wheels outside track limits or a minor excursion inadvertently caused by a wheel-to-wheel duel), everything outside that is made of super abrasive material that'll destroy tires performance-wise and merit either a tire swap or a performance compromise, depending on how bad the off-limits excursion is. No safety issues, and drivers would at least try hard to stay within the lines.

Reasonable?
No safety issues? if it destroys tires what is it going to do to a set of motorcycle leathers?

chetan_rao

Post by chetan_rao »

stratos wrote:
chetan_rao wrote:I know NOT having run-off areas is no longer an option, but how about doing what a lot of people on here have been suggesting for a long time: HIGHLY abrasive run-offs?

Reasonable?
No safety issues? if it destroys tires what is it going to do to a set of motorcycle leathers?
I mean destroys tires performance-wise, not literally shredding them to pieces. Something akin to inflicting wear that regular tarmac would cause over several laps caused over a few hundred meters so drivers know they'll lose major performance by driving off-limits, nothing that would cause a crash but hurt their race/stint.

One could argue grass and gravel is a much simpler solution, but that has its own safety drawbacks. Is it impossible to reinforce riding gear to sustain high(er) abrasive forces, BTW? Genuinely curious, as I agree bikers would be far more susceptible to injury in probably any scenario we can think of. Two wheels are inherently more dangerous by design, a rider could theoretically hurt himself even when standing still if he loses balance.

Or we could do nothing and continue moaning and/or arguing (based on driver preference) about drivers cheating by using off-limits tarmac to their advantage and inconsistent application of racing rules by stewards.

GingerFurball

Post by GingerFurball »

Delete qualifying times where a car leaves the track at any point during the lap.

Put barriers down the side of the track at corners like turn 2 at Sochi so there's plenty of run off if you miss the corner but you can't just keep the foot down and rejoin 100m up the track.

Drive through penalties for exceeding track limits during the race unless it's unavoidable for safety reasons.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

GingerFurball wrote:Delete qualifying times where a car leaves the track at any point during the lap.

Put barriers down the side of the track at corners like turn 2 at Sochi so there's plenty of run off if you miss the corner but you can't just keep the foot down and rejoin 100m up the track.

Drive through penalties for exceeding track limits during the race unless it's unavoidable for safety reasons.
I would add only one thing to that: make all the tracks suitable for MotoGP. The only exception would be for city tracks. But these should be kept to a minimum anyway.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

froze

Post by froze »

Ok, I'm not completely serious with this, but how about having an electronic system that slows the car to a crawl if it exceeds the track limits, monitored by sensors. Full power would be restored upon returning to track. Similar thing as some racing games such as Forza Motorsport have. That way the track limits could be marked with just white lines, kerbs or anything. Worth testing? :)
“I'm happy, but there's nothing to jump around about.”

moby

Post by moby »

Drivers now have Delta display for VSC, so give them a > for the next lap with +2 +3 +5 or what ever penalty on it.
It is not like cutting the engine, which is unexpected and could be dangerous, the driver would decide how to give up the time. If the > is not met within one lap after completion of the offense, it gets doubled etc.

slide

Post by slide »

the same at each corner /track

FringeUK

Post by FringeUK »

Here's a really simple solution:
install a line of speedstik style tyre deflators one car width from the outside of the white line - any transgression means puncture (controlled deflation) and a trip back to the pits - all undertaken in relative safety?

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Have a strict penalty system and enforce it! If a driver exceeds track limits, they get a warning. Do it again and you get a final warning. A third offense results in a drive through penalty. And don't leave it up to the stewards to catch these offenses (they clearly aren't capable of that). Have sensors that do it so that it is universally applied without bias.

And for god's sake do away with these carefully planned routes to rejoin the track without losing too much time. If someone runs off the road, they should lose time. People who out-brake themselves into turn one at Monza basically get a slap on the wrist now (same with Montreal and Silverstone).

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

The sensor and penalty is probably the best all round solution available right now. But as people done like time just being added on after the fact it should be simple enough to have the sensor set up with a system that when that particular car exceeds the limit it transmits an automatic signal that disables the ERS for 20 seconds or so. Car can still continue as normal, but at a much diminished torque output for 20 seconds. If it's a mistake then they're just slowed down as punishment. If the driver went wide to try and defend a position it becomes self defeating as they've now gifted an easy overtake.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

The one benefit I can see with tracks have asphalt run offs as opposed to gravel, or highly abrasive areas for that matter, is that it gives the opportunity for drivers who may have to leave the track to avoid an accident or who may have been punted off by another driver driving recklessly & through no fault of their own a chance to rejoin the race without suffering a major penalty.

To me the answer is very simple.

* Sensors placed in track
* If a car triggers a sensor, it is investigated.
* If no other car involved, driver gets a warning. If other car involved, it is then investigated and determined who is at fault. If car that cuts the corner is at fault, a warning is given.
* Driver gets penalty on 3rd warning

Penalties can include:

* Disable ERS for a designated time
* Drive through penalty
* Stop, go penalty
* Time added to race time (Not preferred)
* Grid penalty at next race (Not preferred)

I'm stunned that the pinnacle of motor sport is so far behind other sports in areas like this. It works in other forms of motor sport but F1 has been so slow to even trial it.

To me it's a no brainer.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

I like it. It's black and white, and eliminates human opinions and any questionable steward's decisions. This has been a constant complaint by many (including myself) that the rules are applied arbitrarily. The track limits are clearly defined, it now becomes the job of all drivers to keep their cars between those defined boundaries.

I'm not sure what the penalties for any transgression maybe, but it could be a sliding scale, from a warning for the first to a 5 second penalty for any further. Even our driving heroes can make mistakes, and it is very easy to exceed the limits unintentionally. This method does not impose a draconian penalty for an honest mistake. It still maintains safety without introducing any extra hazards for cars, track marshalls, or motorcycle riders.

What if the medical car carrying the doctor was required to proceed to an accident site as soon as possible, and the car ran over spike strips?

If there were spike strips or something that caused damage to a car or tires, it would present an unsavory opportunity for a driver to force another wide, thus completely destroying their race without any ability to salvage anything.

I am neither in favor of allowing further telemetry to the cars. We now have limited abilities, but they basically just flash a warning to the driver. But if the telemetry was allowed to access the ECU, then this allows teams and unscrupulous types to hack in and alter the car's performance.
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

I'm with the abrasive run-off. Safer than barriers, grass or gravel and provides both an instant penalty (speed is compromised) plus a potential compromise to strategy (tyre wear) whilst allowing the driver to rejoin the circuit in a safe (depending on the driver as well!) manner.
I hear the arguments about mistakes should be race-ending but I disagree. We have street circuits that leave little room for error and I am of the opinion that every mistake that involves transgressing circuit limits should not result in retirement - that would not encourage drivers to push the cars (tyre and fuel management aside!). Just something that ensures the driver does not gain by exceeding the track limits and, preferably, loses out a little.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:I like it. It's black and white, and eliminates human opinions and any questionable steward's decisions. This has been a constant complaint by many (including myself) that the rules are applied arbitrarily. The track limits are clearly defined, it now becomes the job of all drivers to keep their cars between those defined boundaries.

I'm not sure what the penalties for any transgression maybe, but it could be a sliding scale, from a warning for the first to a 5 second penalty for any further. Even our driving heroes can make mistakes, and it is very easy to exceed the limits unintentionally. This method does not impose a draconian penalty for an honest mistake. It still maintains safety without introducing any extra hazards for cars, track marshalls, or motorcycle riders.

What if the medical car carrying the doctor was required to proceed to an accident site as soon as possible, and the car ran over spike strips?

If there were spike strips or something that caused damage to a car or tires, it would present an unsavory opportunity for a driver to force another wide, thus completely destroying their race without any ability to salvage anything.

I am neither in favor of allowing further telemetry to the cars. We now have limited abilities, but they basically just flash a warning to the driver. But if the telemetry was allowed to access the ECU, then this allows teams and unscrupulous types to hack in and alter the car's performance.
I think the opposing car would stop jumping out the way in this case, crashes would happen and you would find drivers trying to push others off would soon be deemed unacceptable. It would put an end to that practice within a few races.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

sandman1347 wrote:And don't leave it up to the stewards to catch these offenses (they clearly aren't capable of that).
If I understand the rules correctly (I think I do), then it isn't up to the stewards to catch these offences anyway. Transgressions have to be reported to them by race control, who are informed by the trackside marshals (and by pitwall crews).

This is why I was surprised by what happened in Monaco when the race leader left the track, but was only investigated for squeezing the attacker on rejoining. And that was reported by race control. So it isn't clear whether the marhals report all transgressions, or whether there are so many of them it isn't felt practicable anymore.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:I like it. It's black and white, and eliminates human opinions and any questionable steward's decisions. This has been a constant complaint by many (including myself) that the rules are applied arbitrarily. The track limits are clearly defined, it now becomes the job of all drivers to keep their cars between those defined boundaries.

I think the opposing car would stop jumping out the way in this case, crashes would happen and you would find drivers trying to push others off would soon be deemed unacceptable. It would put an end to that practice within a few races.
I don't think spike strips are a plausible solution really, but what if there was something that could affect the tyre without damaging it? I'm thinking along the lines of some sort of glue strip which would make the tyre pick up dust or something?
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

minchy

Post by minchy »

Fiki wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:And don't leave it up to the stewards to catch these offenses (they clearly aren't capable of that).
If I understand the rules correctly (I think I do), then it isn't up to the stewards to catch these offences anyway. Transgressions have to be reported to them by race control, who are informed by the trackside marshals (and by pitwall crews).

This is why I was surprised by what happened in Monaco when the race leader left the track, but was only investigated for squeezing the attacker on rejoining. And that was reported by race control. So it isn't clear whether the marhals report all transgressions, or whether there are so many of them it isn't felt practicable anymore.
That seemed like a silly way of doing it. I thought the marshals were all volunteers, and could easily have a bias towards teams or drivers. Also, they aren't supposed to watch the race, they're supposed to constantly view the section of track they're responsible for marshalling and could easily miss a transgression.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

GingerFurball

Post by GingerFurball »

The drivers are ripping the gherkin at turns 5 and 11.

dpastern

Post by dpastern »

people are looking at this wrong imho - the problem is that modern tracks simply are badly designed. The optimal lines through corners for maximum speeds are sadly including the current areas covered by kerbs. Those kerbs should be removed, and the track extended in those areas to allow the cars to achieve maximum speed through the corner(s). I mean, people come to watch F1 for the SPEED and excitement.

This is just more proof of FIA having absolutely no idea on how to run the sport. None. zero. diddly *inaudible* all.

It's a reason why F1 sucks today, when compared to years ago. New fans don't realise this, but older fans such as myself, who've watched F1 for many years, know that modern F1 simply pales in comparison to the yesteryears.

A very blunt, but honest take on this FIA mess.

dpastern

Post by dpastern »

I'll add that if F1 wants to keep this old fan, they better clean up their act and fix things, not screw them up like they currently are. Cos otherwise, I'm just gonna lose interest in this sport and give up on it. I only have so many hours of R&R in my life, and I can easily devote them to other hobbies other than F1. I think many fans are feeling the same way and that is why viewers are down globally for F1 and down by a large margin.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

minchy wrote:
Fiki wrote:

That seemed like a silly way of doing it. I thought the marshals were all volunteers, and could easily have a bias towards teams or drivers. Also, they aren't supposed to watch the race, they're supposed to constantly view the section of track they're responsible for marshalling and could easily miss a transgression.
Well, since they are supposed to constantly view the section of track they are responsible for, they're not supposed to miss a transgression. And since they are only responsible for reporting any transgressions to race control, it is the stewards who are responsible for investigating the report and the transgression, and produce a verdict. With TV coverage of the whole of the track, most incidents will be readily available for viewing.

Who better than the marshals are you going to find? I don't see the fact that they are volunteers as negative, rather the contrary. Without them, there would be no racing. And any perceived bias would surely be reported and dealt with.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

dpastern wrote:people are looking at this wrong imho - the problem is that modern tracks simply are badly designed. The optimal lines through corners for maximum speeds are sadly including the current areas covered by kerbs. Those kerbs should be removed, and the track extended in those areas to allow the cars to achieve maximum speed through the corner(s). I mean, people come to watch F1 for the SPEED and excitement.
I disagree. The corner is the corner, however designed. Put up a concrete wall just beyond the white lines, and all of a sudden the drivers find another "optimal" line. So that is not the problem. The problem is leniency for transgressions.

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

dpastern wrote:people are looking at this wrong imho - the problem is that modern tracks simply are badly designed. The optimal lines through corners for maximum speeds are sadly including the current areas covered by kerbs. Those kerbs should be removed, and the track extended in those areas to allow the cars to achieve maximum speed through the corner(s). I mean, people come to watch F1 for the SPEED and excitement.
Totally disagree here. One of the prime places where the drivers famously cut a corner is in Spa, your idea would effectively take away the corner and just make that a straight, that would make the cars go faster but reduce the level of skill required to negotiate the corner.

moby

Post by moby »

ALESI wrote:
Totally disagree here. One of the prime places where the drivers famously cut a corner is in Spa, your idea would effectively take away the corner and just make that a straight, that would make the cars go faster but reduce the level of skill required to negotiate the corner.

I agree. The driver is on that track, not a theoretical best possible one.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Blackhander wrote:The sensor and penalty is probably the best all round solution available right now. But as people done like time just being added on after the fact it should be simple enough to have the sensor set up with a system that when that particular car exceeds the limit it transmits an automatic signal that disables the ERS for 20 seconds or so. Car can still continue as normal, but at a much diminished torque output for 20 seconds. If it's a mistake then they're just slowed down as punishment. If the driver went wide to try and defend a position it becomes self defeating as they've now gifted an easy overtake.
I have to disagree with any idea that involves a remote slow-down of the cars. THat could lead to accidents if the cars are in traffic and all of a sudden one of them slows dramatically.

moby

Post by moby »

sandman1347 wrote:
Blackhander wrote:The sensor and penalty is probably the best all round solution available right now. But as people done like time just being added on after the fact it should be simple enough to have the sensor set up with a system that when that particular car exceeds the limit it transmits an automatic signal that disables the ERS for 20 seconds or so. Car can still continue as normal, but at a much diminished torque output for 20 seconds. If it's a mistake then they're just slowed down as punishment. If the driver went wide to try and defend a position it becomes self defeating as they've now gifted an easy overtake.
I have to disagree with any idea that involves a remote slow-down of the cars. THat could lead to accidents if the cars are in traffic and all of a sudden one of them slows dramatically.
Ref my post above. If the driver is given a delta for next time they cross the start finish, they will have a lap and what ever extra to drop the time under their own control.

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

Why not just have only the inside of the track (apex of corners) marked out - with barriers - and let them do what they want on the outside?
Make the tack 40 metres wide and see how much time advantage they get by tryig to use all of it. They'd have to find the optimal line for themselves and it would be well inside the track limits.

dpastern

Post by dpastern »

flyboy10 wrote:Why not just have only the inside of the track (apex of corners) marked out - with barriers - and let them do what they want on the outside?
Make the tack 40 metres wide and see how much time advantage they get by tryig to use all of it. They'd have to find the optimal line for themselves and it would be well inside the track limits.
Because F1 has now become a nanny sport. if the majority of the drivers aren't happy with the changes, then there's a damn good chance that the chances suck majorly. We're talking Linda Lovelace territory here ;-) The people in charge of FIA either have absolutely no idea on what it takes to be a driver, or it's been so long since they raced (and they were crappy when they raced) that they've forgotten what it's like to be a competitive driver.

2fast

Post by 2fast »

How about redesign the corner just like the wall of champion at Gilles Villeneuve Circuit?

So, if any driver abuse the track limit, then he's out. :twisted:

source: http://cdn-3.motorsport.com/
too fast to slow down

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

2fast wrote:How about redesign the corner just like the wall of champion at Gilles Villeneuve Circuit?

So, if any driver abuse the track limit, then he's out. :twisted:
The cars can leave the track and not hit the wall in Canada. So you would have to move the wall closer to the track to ensure they're out.

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

It seems we have the answer, the FIA tackle track limit abuse, by ignoring it!

YAY, Good old FIA.

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

Bring back the gravel trap. Or even gravel trap from the edge of the circuit for 20 metres. Then tarmac for slowing a car down for safety reasons.

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

Nope, there cannot be going back on safety front. So no gravel traps, no grass. Period.

The solution is simple and it has been staring at us all this time and that is to strictly enforce the white lines.
The ability to decide where the crossing track limit is advantageous and where it is not should be done away with. Cars and drivers can always take any corner while staying within track limits all the time. Everyone will get slower on some tracks but that shouldnt matter as it affects everyone.

It is this stupid situation that charlie and FIA created for themselves where they decide which corners are considered as the corners where driver can take advantage is the root cause of this debate. Simply take that away and the picture becomes a lot clearer.

And no, I am not talking about driver going off when they make a mistake during race. Those situations can be judged on merit to actually see if driver really lost control or not or if there was some incident involving the 2 cars which resulted in someone going off for 1 lap here and there.
Those are not an issue.

But other than that, universally impose the tract restrictions. All 4 wheel off the white line, the lap is immediately disqualified during qualifying. Cross it 2 times in a race, 2 second time penalty. Cross it again, 5 second time penalty. Cross it 4th time, black flag. All drivers will fall in line with this penalty structure.

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

I'm still for the Paul Ricard solution. It's the equivalent of semi-rough and rough on a golf course; allows you to continue but compromises you at the same time.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

wire2004 wrote:Bring back the gravel trap. Or even gravel trap from the edge of the circuit for 20 metres. Then tarmac for slowing a car down for safety reasons.
Agree entirely. Drivers will be far more wary about out-braking themselves manoeuvres if they know that there is a consequence for getting it wrong. They will also be more careful about pushing another driver into the gravel trap - as the stewards will have to do something about it.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Go back to grass and gravel. Most elegant solution.

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/07/ ... ban-rules/

"There were suggestions from some quarters tonight that track limits were also discussed in the Strategy Group and the decision made to relax those restrictions too, but that was not mentioned in the official FIA statement."

http://www.planetf1.com/news/formula-1-says-no-to-halo/

The Strategy Group also discussed Formula 1’s radio communication ban and agreed to ease up on that as well as track limits.