Beginning of the end of the old order? Herbie Blash is off.

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Flash2k11

Beginning of the end of the old order? Herbie Blash is off.

Post by Flash2k11 »

2018 Pick 10 Champion

POBRatings

Re: Beginning of the end of the old order? Herbie Blash is o

Post by POBRatings »

Herbie certainly has seen so much.It was good of bernie to employ him for races after his active mechanics career was over.

moby

Post by moby »

I think he was with BRM beforw that?

Lupin

Post by Lupin »

I met Herbie at the Monaco GP a couple of years ago. I interrupted his conversation to ask for a photo and he invited me to sit down and have a chat. He introduced me to Franz Tost, I wasn't aware who he was at the time :(, and we chatted about the GP coming up. He was such a nice guy and a great person to chat to. I also ran into Helmet Marko that weekend who was also super nice and we chatted about the new boy Ricciardo. He was very excited about him.

Through my work I get to meet celebs here and there, but running into these guys on the street I was amazed at the time they had for me. I was happy to say hi and bye, but they wanted to chat about the sport and see what I thought about certain drivers etc. The sport has a rep for not being fan friendly but these guys went well above and beyond.

I will miss Herbie's pop up on screen at the end of each grand prix, excitedly trying to get the drivers to weigh in.

Sevenfest

Post by Sevenfest »

Lupin wrote:I met Herbie at the Monaco GP a couple of years ago. I interrupted his conversation to ask for a photo and he invited me to sit down and have a chat. He introduced me to Franz Tost, I wasn't aware who he was at the time :(, and we chatted about the GP coming up. He was such a nice guy and a great person to chat to. I also ran into Helmet Marko that weekend who was also super nice and we chatted about the new boy Ricciardo. He was very excited about him.

Through my work I get to meet celebs here and there, but running into these guys on the street I was amazed at the time they had for me. I was happy to say hi and bye, but they wanted to chat about the sport and see what I thought about certain drivers etc. The sport has a rep for not being fan friendly but these guys went well above and beyond.

I will miss Herbie's pop up on screen at the end of each grand prix, excitedly trying to get the drivers to weigh in.
Great story :), thanks for sharing

DaveStebbins

Post by DaveStebbins »

Sevenfest wrote:
Lupin wrote:I met Herbie at the Monaco GP a couple of years ago. I interrupted his conversation to ask for a photo and he invited me to sit down and have a chat. He introduced me to Franz Tost, I wasn't aware who he was at the time :(, and we chatted about the GP coming up. He was such a nice guy and a great person to chat to. I also ran into Helmet Marko that weekend who was also super nice and we chatted about the new boy Ricciardo. He was very excited about him.

Agreed. Stories like this make me smile, every time.

Lupin

Post by Lupin »

DaveStebbins wrote:
Sevenfest wrote:

Agreed. Stories like this make me smile, every time.
Glad you enjoyed them. I also shared a urinal with Alonso in the F1 paddock... he was way shorter than I thought he was.

Reading the other thread on Nikki Lauda and remembering watching Paul Stoddart chatting with fans for hours after a race, I really think F1 is missing the charm of the old characters around the track. They're all robots as we say. I do think Vettel is a breath of fresh air. I enjoy having a cheeky personality on the grid

trento

Post by trento »

it's the drivers that are not fan friendly. maybe except a handful like the Mercedes drivers.

Lupin

Post by Lupin »

trento wrote:

it's the drivers that are not fan friendly. maybe except a handful like the Mercedes drivers.
Mercedes drivers fan friendly?

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Lupin wrote:I also shared a urinal with Alonso in the F1 paddock... he was way shorter than I thought he was.
I had a quick look online - and today I learned I am taller than Fernando Alonso. And I believe I am quite a short man
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

trento

Post by trento »

Lupin wrote:
trento wrote:

Mercedes drivers fan friendly?
just some impressions i get from Lewis and Rosberg interacting with fans from news sources. I remember Lewis spending some time with his fans in Shanghai too.

have also heard from a friend who went to one of those F1 dinners saying Vettel was the friendliest driver.

Sevenfest

Post by Sevenfest »

mcdo wrote:
Lupin wrote:I also shared a urinal with Alonso in the F1 paddock... he was way shorter than I thought he was.
I had a quick look online - and today I learned I am taller than Fernando Alonso. And I believe I am quite a short man
I read the "I had a quick look" bit and thought you were still talking about being at the urinal with Alonso (I realise it wasn't you!)

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

Lupin wrote:
I also shared a urinal with Alonso in the F1 paddock... he was way shorter than I thought he was.
Sounds like the paddock could do with at least one more urinal. Or an "engaged" sign. ;)

But seriously nice stories, interesting to hear about Marko. He gets a hard time but behind the competition there is a big love of the sport in almost every case.
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker

Lupin

Post by Lupin »

hittheapex wrote:
Lupin wrote:
I also shared a urinal with Alonso in the F1 paddock... he was way shorter than I thought he was.
Sounds like the paddock could do with at least one more urinal. Or an "engaged" sign. ;)

But seriously nice stories, interesting to hear about Marko. He gets a hard time but behind the competition there is a big love of the sport in almost every case.
Yeah I was surprised by Marko. At first I sensed he was concerned because I am Australian and perhaps aussies in the past have had a go at him regarding Webber. He was super excited about Ricciardo, but I just wanted to talk about Vettel which he wasn't very interested in. Perhaps he knew he was heading to Ferrari.

I think Monaco is a great race to run into F1 people. They're all just walking around the track and much more relaxed probably because they live there.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Sevenfest wrote:
mcdo wrote:
I read the "I had a quick look" bit and thought you were still talking about being at the urinal with Alonso (I realise it wasn't you!)
Wayhey! In that scenario I probably would have had a quick glance to see if his balls were made of titanium or stainless steel
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

moby

Post by moby »

mcdo wrote:
Sevenfest wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Wayhey! In that scenario I probably would have had a quick glance to see if his balls were made of titanium or stainless steel
Hanging out with the guys?