Austrian GP Qualifying and Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
kleefton

Re: Austrian GP Qualifying and Race Thread

Post by kleefton »

Mr-E wrote:Has Rosberg signed a new contract yet with Merc? If not they should let him go by the end of the season and pick up Wehrlein.
Yeah I don't know how they can resign him after what has been going on. It is obvious now that he can't beat Hamilton in a wheel to wheel fight, whether it's Hamilton pushing him out, him pushing Hamiton out, Hamilton having better race pace, he always ends up second. He's just not meant to beat Lewis. But he still believes he can beat Hamilton. It's time for the team to let him go imo. Let him go to Ferrari and let's see how much he "dislikes losing" to Vettel.
I personally have had enough of him.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Fiki wrote:
HitTheApexes wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:Rosberg blames Hamilton, onboard shows that Rosberg didn't turn for the corner he aimed for Hamilton's car.
Nope, onboards show that Lewis turned into Nico and Nico didn't turn at all until too late. But in order for him to aim at Lewis' car he would have had to point his car towards Lewis at some point, which he never did
Some of you lot aren't talking sense.

Rosberg showed no intention of making the turn and Lewis had to take avoiding action. It's as simple as that. Rosberg's fault.
Interesting point of view. Isn't avoiding action normally away from the obstacle? :lol:
Is it on the onus of the driver attempting to make a corner over a driver seemingly unable (or with intent to not) to make a corner to jump out of the way? You can dig up all the Hamilton rough moves over the last 3 years, he is at least attempting to make the corner in every one of them. Rosberg today pulled a Senna, wether thats a compliment or not is down to the beholder (and wether or not this shows his shift in mindset) and should be castigated appropriately.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Fiki wrote:
HitTheApexes wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:Rosberg blames Hamilton, onboard shows that Rosberg didn't turn for the corner he aimed for Hamilton's car.
Nope, onboards show that Lewis turned into Nico and Nico didn't turn at all until too late. But in order for him to aim at Lewis' car he would have had to point his car towards Lewis at some point, which he never did
Some of you lot aren't talking sense.

Rosberg showed no intention of making the turn and Lewis had to take avoiding action. It's as simple as that. Rosberg's fault.
Interesting point of view. Isn't avoiding action normally away from the obstacle? :lol:
Ah I find that interesting
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

Richard86

Post by Richard86 »

Invade wrote:
jrwb6e wrote:Rosberg should have to sit out a race or two. It is pathetic he is allowed to believe because he has the inside line, he can "dictate" whatever he wants. No, Rosberg, driving dirty like Schumacher does go without consequences.
Is it really so diabolical? I guess I should watch it again. I agree that it was very very (2 verys) aggressive and also probably calculated. I suppose it did cause very substantial damage and put one car into an endangered position to the extent that Rosberg is under investigation for continuing to race around in the state he was in.

Aggressive stuff, no question. Calculated stuff, probably.

Borderline intentional wrecking, should throw the book at him. Disgraceful driving standards from the supposed best in the world

Laz_T800

Post by Laz_T800 »

You really get to see just how much a personal dislike can cause a big lack of cognitive thinking at times like this.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Richard86 wrote:Im sorry but how anyone can defend Nico is beyond me. The first case was he didnt even turn into the turn surely that damning enough, thats borderline intentional wrecking and Merceds know it thats why they are playing the "we had a problem with the brakes" card. Second he gave absolutely no room for Lewis to come back on the track after such a bad move in the first place thats woeful and dangerous. I dont like all these penalties but they should clamp down on drivers doing this, this is F1 not the local demo derby or BTCC.
I'm surprised Merc haven't said Hamilton had brake problems. Normally both cars have the same problem ;)
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Llotyhy wrote:Every time something like this happens and we get a great race I feel so sorry for you guys that you have to cope with Sky's coverage. It sounds so awful... Surely there must be other options?
In the UK the only other legal option that I'm aware of is C4 who only broadcast half of the races live. From 2019 Sky will get exclusive coverage too so we won't even have that.

Sky aren't too bad for the most part. Crofty, Herbert & Hill are the main bits I would change. Maybe try to get some non-British pundits to give a bit more balance and remove national bias.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Richard86 wrote:Second he gave absolutely no room for Lewis to come back on the track after such a bad move in the first place thats woeful and dangerous.
You may remember that Maldonado probably thought the same at Valencia 2012. In other words, sometimes the rules bite back.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Schumaker, Seven

Post by Schumaker, Seven »

kleefton wrote:
Mr-E wrote:Has Rosberg signed a new contract yet with Merc? If not they should let him go by the end of the season and pick up Wehrlein.
Yeah I don't know how they can resign him after what has been going on. It is obvious now that he can't beat Hamilton in a wheel to wheel fight, whether it's Hamilton pushing him out, him pushing Hamiton out, Hamilton having better race pace, he always ends up second. He's just not meant to beat Lewis. But he still believes he can beat Hamilton. It's time for the team to let him go imo. Let him go to Ferrari and let's see how much he "dislikes losing" to Vettel.
I personally have had enough of him.
Bla, bla, bla, whatever. He's a number two. Number twos aren't supposed to win terribly often but, hey, this number two won 7 straight and had a 39-point lead... Before he went back to being a number two.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
8 Starts
1 Win
1 Podium
The sun was glaring; I could not see the flag.
#ForzaJules
#KeepFightingMichael

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:I am hearing that Rosberg had trouble with his brakes. That resulted in pushing Hamilton off if that was the case. Then Hamilton came back on track and walloped into the side of Rosberg causing more damage. Is Rosberg to blame for Hamilton coming back on the track hitting Rosberg and causing far more damage to Rosberg than Rosberg caused him? It is obvious that Rosberg that started this but it may not have been his fault but the second part, I blame Hamilton more for the way he joined that track and hit Rosberg back.

About Rosberg continuing with a damaged car, didn't Vettel last year in Spa continue with a damaged car getting in everyone's way? And Mimi when He hit Bottas in Russia. Kimi continued with a very damaged car and didn't get investigated I believe.

I really don't understand why Rosberg and Hamilton aren't both getting investigated after this clash.
Please go watch it again carefully, Hamilton DID NOT hit Rosberg when he reentered. Rosberg damaged his own wing when he hit Hamilton.

Some people :uhoh:
I usually agree with your posts more than many others but I'm not sure this time. It looked like Rosberg didn't go right when Lewis was trying to rejoin which I think he should have done. However, I did rewatch it and it looked like Hamillton was turning back onto the track but I think he should have slowed down and joined behind Rosbeg instead of hitting the side of him. I have seen more than enough comments here saying that Hamilton rejoined and hit Rosberg. Maybe that wasn't what caused his wing to come off but it did look like Hamilton was trying to get back at him. This sort of this doesn't seem to happen between other teams or drivers.

However, I still blame Rosberg most quite easily. But as I said, I can't understand why they both don't get investigated as Hamilton was involved. Usually, any driver involved in an incident will get investigated.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Fiki wrote:
Richard86 wrote:Second he gave absolutely no room for Lewis to come back on the track after such a bad move in the first place thats woeful and dangerous.
You may remember that Maldonado probably thought the same at Valencia 2012. In other words, sometimes the rules bite back.
So I assume you hold Rosberg responsible in this case then?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

This aggressive defensive driving against Hamilton seems to be Rosberg's new doctrine for the this year.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

Invade

Post by Invade »

Hamilton_Jar wrote: I'm surprised Merc haven't said Hamilton had brake problems. Normally both cars have the same problem ;)

To be honest, I'm not sure it's a laughing/winking matter. Mercedes have broken their code for once!

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:I am hearing that Rosberg had trouble with his brakes. That resulted in pushing Hamilton off if that was the case. Then Hamilton came back on track and walloped into the side of Rosberg causing more damage. Is Rosberg to blame for Hamilton coming back on the track hitting Rosberg and causing far more damage to Rosberg than Rosberg caused him? It is obvious that Rosberg that started this but it may not have been his fault but the second part, I blame Hamilton more for the way he joined that track and hit Rosberg back.

About Rosberg continuing with a damaged car, didn't Vettel last year in Spa continue with a damaged car getting in everyone's way? And Mimi when He hit Bottas in Russia. Kimi continued with a very damaged car and didn't get investigated I believe.

I really don't understand why Rosberg and Hamilton aren't both getting investigated after this clash.
Please go watch it again carefully, Hamilton DID NOT hit Rosberg when he reentered. Rosberg damaged his own wing when he hit Hamilton.

I usually agree with your posts more than many others but I'm not sure this time. It looked like Rosberg didn't go right when Lewis was trying to rejoin which I think he should have done. However, I did rewatch it and it looked like Hamillton was turning back onto the track but I think he should have slowed down and joined behind Rosbeg instead of hitting the side of him. I have seen more than enough comments here saying that Hamilton rejoined and hit Rosberg. Maybe that wasn't what caused his wing to come off but it did look like Hamilton was trying to get back at him. This sort of this doesn't seem to happen between other teams or drivers.

However, I still blame Rosberg most quite easily. But as I said, I can't understand why they both don't get investigated as Hamilton was involved. Usually, any driver involved in an incident will get investigated.
There was not a second contact.
If...

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:

For the final time, regardless of how many posts on here suggest otherwise, there was no contact when Hamilton rejoined the track.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

TheGiantHogweed

PzR Slim wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Niki Lauda must not have been watching very carefully then as he was saying he thought it was Rosbergs fault for the 2nd contact.

Invade

Post by Invade »

If Seb wasn't unlucky with his tyre failure (or whatever it was), do we think he'd have pulled of a one-stopper and maybe won the race?

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Niki Lauda must not have been watching very carefully then as he was saying he thought it was Rosbergs fault for the 2nd contact.
Find a video, there is no 2nd contact.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qRyn8QCRNo

while it lasts, no second contact
2018 Pick 10 Champion

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Go watch it again. It is obvious you are missing something.

stevey

Post by stevey »

No second contact, that's just where Rosberg wing gives way when the g force comes onto the front wing. The spark is just floor.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Did Kimi and Verstappen one stop?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

If Rosberg is found to be to blame what penalty could he be expected to be given? By this I mean actually be given not what people might want to be given.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
So I assume you hold Rosberg responsible in this case then?
Hamilton rejoined behind Rosberg. Why would I hold Rosberg responsible for Hamilton rejoining safely?
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Invade

Post by Invade »

Hamilton lost 3.3 seconds in pit-stops to Rosberg. One of the various laughable incidents and circumstances of the race weekend.

POBRatings

Post by POBRatings »

Having two close-matched drivers in top cars imo this was just a racing incident, no-one to blame. Nico with a brake problem obviously explains his going deep/straight on, Lewis coming back on track trying to win after he caught Nico is just normal racing adrenalin and competitiveness.
Great race all round.

mds

Post by mds »

Invade wrote:If Seb wasn't unlucky with his tyre failure (or whatever it was), do we think he'd have pulled of a one-stopper and maybe won the race?
I don't think so, Rosberg was within two seconds and closing fast. No way he would have held on.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

pokerman wrote:This aggressive defensive driving against Hamilton seems to be Rosberg's new doctrine for the this year.
It's working out so well for him :)
Last edited by mcdo on Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

POBRatings wrote:Great race all round.
I wish I could agree, but the suspension breakages and today's tyre gamble make it less than great for me. All in all, that tyre delaminating decided the race at least as much as the pitstops, I believe. And I don't like mandatory pitstops in the first place.

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

Hamilton_Jar wrote:Did Kimi and Verstappen one stop?
Yes they both did a one stopper. But Ferrari made the wrong call for the pits not only for Vettel but for Kimi as well. I am not sure what they were thinking they never had a chance with Mercs and now they are loosing to RB :uhoh:
Last edited by Mercedes-Benz on Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

TheGiantHogweed

kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Now I have watched the video below that Flash2k11 posted, I am starting to agree with you. Sorry for what I said before. What happened to Hamilton between second 10 and 12 on this video though? Is it just what he is driving on that made his car jolt? That was what made me think he had hit Rosberg as his car suddenly jolted as if he had hit Rosberg. It was also at that exact time that I started to see a lot more sparks from Rosbergs front wing. I'm still not fully convinced that there wasn't a 2nd contact. More so that I was though.

Last edited by TheGiantHogweed on Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chetan_rao

Post by chetan_rao »

BBC trying to out-do Sky. They put up a 'who is at fault?' vote for about 30 minutes, to state the obvious. They must be disappointed only 89% of their 'voters' blamed Nico. :lol:

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Fiki wrote:
POBRatings wrote:Great race all round.
I wish I could agree, but the suspension breakages and today's tyre gamble make it less than great for me. All in all, that tyre delaminating decided the race at least as much as the pitstops, I believe. And I don't like mandatory pitstops in the first place.
It was nail biting, what's not to like? Races like today are why I watch F1
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

mds

Post by mds »

POBRatings wrote: Nico with a brake problem obviously explains his going deep/straight on.
I don't quite agree with that. It seemed like he braked just about as well as Hamilton. He had slowed his car down enough to turn in earlier but didn't.

This is pretty clear-cut to me. He tried to prevent Hamilton from turning in.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

I love such a races. Nobody got hurt and after few years it might be seen as classic race :)
eeee

Richard86

Post by Richard86 »

mds wrote:
POBRatings wrote: Nico with a brake problem obviously explains his going deep/straight on.
I don't quite agree with that. It seemed like he braked just about as well as Hamilton. He had slowed his car down enough to turn in earlier but didn't.

I think the brakes thing is Mercedes trying to save Nico further penalties for causing a crash/intentional contact.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Richard86 wrote:
mds wrote:

I think the brakes thing is Mercedes trying to save Nico further penalties for causing a crash/intentional contact.
Toto said something that I thought was daft - that Nico had a brake-by-wire failure and that the team were not allowed to tell him. I don't believe that for a second
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Now I have watched the video below that Flash2k11 posted, I am starting to agree with you. Sorry for what I said before. What happened to Hamilton between second 10 and 12 on this video though? Is it just what he is driving on that made his car jolt? That was what made me think he had hit Rosberg as his car suddenly jolted as if he had hit Rosberg. It was also at that exact time that I started to see a lot more sparks from Rosbergs front wing. I'm still not fully convinced that there wasn't a 2nd contact. More so that I was though.

He veers away at that point. Look at the intiial impact to see the initial sparks of Rosbergs front wing... the speed at which he is traveling at the point when Hamilton rejoins the track dictates how far down the damage wing is pushed via the airflow, hence the sudden sparks as the downforce kicks in.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Brundle on Sky now saying it was intentional from Rosberg.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

TheGiantHogweed

Right I have seen a slow motion replay that shows he didn't make any contact there. So sorry to everyone who I didn't agree with!
It was hard to judge as Hamilton really did look to have hit him from some angles as his car suddenly swerved as if he had hit Rosberg. It must have just been either the kerbs or the damage from the 1st contact that caused that.
Last edited by TheGiantHogweed on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.