Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
IDrinkYourMilkshake

Re: Austrian GP Qualifying and Race Thread

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

red_alert wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
simonr23 wrote:As a Ric fan, it was a very underwhelming race :(
As a Ricciardo fan, you must be more nervous than underwhelmed. There's a pattern here, of Verstappen outperforming him in many races in a row now. Canada, Baku, Austria...
Wonderboy Ves #2 yet to out qualify Ric though. Not worried. We know who the team leans towards in the race in terms of strategy. Today less so, but those other examples. Ric has more points too. Hasnt binned his car in the wall either.
If he is behind in qualifying in every race, but overtaking him on track every race, how does it matter? How many points has Ricciardo got for qualifying?

Man, now you're making excuses of favouritism? So the Ricciardo fans Are rattled. Interesting.
Mandatory disclaimer: I like both drivers, I just state things as I see them.

Also, Ricciardo has more points. Remind me, was he driving a Toro Rosso in the beginning of the year? At least add a pinch of logic.

DirtyMike

Post by DirtyMike »

Ted Kravitz bias is cringeworthy here. My god, they even had to cut him off when talking about Hamilton being 'unfairly treated' during the race! Grow up
1996 and Onwards
Ricciardo .:. Massa .:. LeClerc .:. Sainz

Quark

Post by Quark »

Unparalleled wrote:
Quark wrote:Fans booing Hamilton, he overtook under yellows, definitely he should give the place back to Rosberg.
:lol: :lol: desperate much?
Maybe yes, but I don't like to see drivers getting away with breaking the rules. Yellow flags means no overtaking, how difficult is that to comprehend?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

AFCTUJacko wrote:
pokerman wrote:I'm not impressed by the engineer saying to Hamilton that's not the result we wanted after Rosberg crashed into him.
That's not what he said.

He said "not the race we wanted" - ie a straightforward lights to flag but "great result"
Same thing that's why Hamilton replied that it was Rosberg that crashed into him.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:Rosberg deliberately crashed into Hamilton and Hamilton deliberately crashed into Rosberg rejoining.
I think that would be Rosberg not allowing Hamilton back onto the track and Hamilton actually tried to avoid any contact.
Well it was Hamilton who turned into Nico so don't know how you work that one out.

It was Nico's mistake IMO as he didn't leave Lewis any room but I don't see it as anything deliberate. It's not like he turned into Lewis after all, just tried to force him wide. Backfired badly though
Wow just wow, Rosberg was not any where need the apex of the corner when he hit Hamilton, he ran that wide.
Need to see a replay, but from what I remember Nico didn't turn and went long. Lewis was on the outside and turned but Nico didn't. Could be wrong but need to see it again to be sure
Just saw it again and I was right first time

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Unparalleled wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:It was Hamilton turning into Rosberg, I just saw it now in slo-mo, but that's stewards thing to think about.
No it wasn't. Not even close. Nico basically ran into Lewis
See for yourself, you are wrong here. But then, you are entitled to your opinion.
The end is near

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Rosberg was never making that corner without hitting Hamilton. If it was a brake failure then Hamilton could be the only one in trouble here. Clearly didn't resume safely at best. Deliberately hit Rosberg at worse.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Hamilton_Jar wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Maranello1 wrote:What's the penalty for failing to stop with a damaged car?
A penalty for that would be a load of BS. Penalise him for his dodgy driving but not for getting his broken car across the line

You say that but everyone talks about safety. What if his front wing flew off and hit another car causing a crash. Kimi went off the circuit straight away at Monaco.
And yet we marvel at Gilles Villeneuve and wonder why today's F1 seems so pedestrian in comparison

I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

TheBlackFlag

Post by TheBlackFlag »

Lojik wrote:Strange reaction for the Merc team. If Rosberg had such a problem, they should have issued an instruction. I pretty much blame Merc for putting their drivers in that position in the first place. Baffling.
Toto Wolfe just said in his interview with Ted Kravitz that they weren't allowed to communicate the braking issue to the drivers.

He also called the results of the last lap "Brainless"...Then he told Ted his analysis of Merc's race strategy as "totally wrong"

Toto is not a happy boy right now.

simonr23

Post by simonr23 »

And further dumbness the sky team unwavering ability to think logically and from a POV other than the inside of their contrymen's anus.

Unparalleled

Post by Unparalleled »

Quark wrote:
Unparalleled wrote:
Quark wrote:Fans booing Hamilton, he overtook under yellows, definitely he should give the place back to Rosberg.
Maybe yes, but I don't like to see drivers getting away with breaking the rules. Yellow flags means no overtaking, how difficult is that to comprehend?

He overtook a damaged car. He's not getting a penalty.

pc27b

Post by pc27b »

HS Thompson wrote:OUTSTANDING!!!!!!
i thought you stopped watching f1 because it sucked so bad ? glad to see you tuned in

what was that attempt at a podium interview ? laughable
Last edited by pc27b on Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zazu

Post by Zazu »

Going to end up with the old Mclaren situation where drivers have to hold position after the final pitstop.

Invade

Post by Invade »

Also, is Verstappen already an equal of Ricciardo's? ;)

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Penalty for Rosberg failing to stop would indeed be awful.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

DirtyMike wrote:Ted Kravitz bias is cringeworthy here. My god, they even had to cut him off when talking about Hamilton being 'unfairly treated' during the race! Grow up
Yes during the race itself it was a bit annoying. Hearing Mercedes would have to organise a way for Hamilton to be back infront in order to "be fair".

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

pokerman wrote:
AFCTUJacko wrote:
pokerman wrote:I'm not impressed by the engineer saying to Hamilton that's not the result we wanted after Rosberg crashed into him.
That's not what he said.

He said "not the race we wanted" - ie a straightforward lights to flag but "great result"
Same thing that's why Hamilton replied that it was Rosberg that crashed into him.
He was just referring to how they made a meal of what should have been an easy victory
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Zoue wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:Confirmed. Rosberg is under investigation. Hopefully he will be found guilty and given at least a 10 grid position penalty from this infraction.

Hamilton- Not under investigation at all.
yeas, even though I think it was Nico's fault I do find it odd that the investigation isn't for both cars involved in the incident. Does make it sound as though they've made up their mind before any actual "investigation" takes place!
Rosberg hits Hamilton and Hamilton is equally at fault, did you not see Rosberg sail metres past the actual corner?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Unparalleled wrote:
Quark wrote:
Unparalleled wrote:

Yeps. They are rather booing him because they think he screwed Nicos race. Not nice behaviour.
eeee

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

Hamilton is being booed to death. Apparently the crowd feels he was too aggressive. In any case he should not have said that that the fans sentiments were "their problem" - that was discourteous to the paying supporters. I think he could benefit from a little media training.

TheBlackFlag

Post by TheBlackFlag »

simonr23 wrote:And further dumbness the sky team unwavering ability to think logically and from a POV other than the inside of their contrymen's anus.
Toto slammed the door on Ted pretty hard... :lol:

mds

Post by mds »

Invade wrote:Also, is Verstappen already an equal of Ricciardo's? ;)
As far as race pace is concerned, I think he's looked better in most races now. Needs to get better in qualifying still.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Invade wrote:
Zoue wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:Confirmed. Rosberg is under investigation. Hopefully he will be found guilty and given at least a 10 grid position penalty from this infraction.

yeas, even though I think it was Nico's fault I do find it odd that the investigation isn't for both cars involved in the incident. Does make it sound as though they've made up their mind before any actual "investigation" takes place!
I have to agree.

Oh, it's just been confirmed that it's for him not stopping a seriously damaged car rather than the incident itself, so perhaps that's why.
Ah OK. That makes sense, thanks. SKY said he was under investigation for both things but maybe they got their wires crossed!

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Unparalleled wrote:
Quark wrote:
Unparalleled wrote:

Exactly lol, what's it ment to do play a game off you go first sir
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

stevey

Post by stevey »

Rosberg not mentioning brake problem. Just says it was his racing line.

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

red_alert wrote:
As a Ricciardo fan, you must be more nervous than underwhelmed. There's a pattern here, of Verstappen outperforming him in many races in a row now. Canada, Baku, Austria...
Wonderboy Ves #2 yet to out qualify Ric though. Not worried. We know who the team leans towards in the race in terms of strategy. Today less so, but those other examples. Ric has more points too. Hasnt binned his car in the wall either.
If he is behind in qualifying in every race, but overtaking him on track every race, how does it matter? How many points has Ricciardo got for qualifying?

Man, now you're making excuses of favouritism? So the Ricciardo fans Are rattled. Interesting.

Also, Ricciardo has more points. Remind me, was he driving a Toro Rosso in the beginning of the year? At least add a pinch of logic.
As a Ricciardo fan, i'm worried.

Yeah, he should have won Spain & Monaco but Verstappen is driving very, very well and believe me, I say that through firmly gritted teeth.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

AFCTUJacko

Post by AFCTUJacko »

pokerman wrote:
AFCTUJacko wrote:
That's not what he said.

It's not remotely the same thing.

You said he said "not the result we wanted".

He in fact said to Lewis "Great Result"

:lol:
Leave me alone.....I know what I'm doing

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Zoue wrote:
kleefton wrote:What the hell was Rosberg thinking?
Lewis was already halfway ahead through the corner but he still tried to push him out. That was a really dumb move and it deserves a penalty to be honest.
He probably lost the championship today and maybe a new contract as well. Why would Mercedes continue to keep these 2 together after this?
Good luck Nico you just sabotaged yourself.
Great job by Lewis today though, with the tire disadvantage and still have so much more pace. Unbelievable.
Lewis had a tyre advantage. The Softs were the better tyre but Nico didn't have any left
Since when is the harder tire an advantage with 12 laps to go? Nico never showed a pace advantage the entire stint. Lewis was basically all over him throughout the last laps.
I guess the apparent brake issue is a better argument for the Nico backers.

cosmo

Post by cosmo »

I don't understand why they pitted Hamilton in the first place?!? He had tyres as old as Raikkonen and newer then Verstapen...

Invade

Post by Invade »

BTW it was confirmed by Lauda that they intended to 1-stop Lewis, hence what happened earlier in the race with Nico taking the lead. They realised that it would not be possible and so Nico Rosberg ended up being in a position to win the race. I can see why Merc. might have believed in the feasibility of a 1-stop strat., because generally at races Lewis has been super with tyre management, but at the same time it seems rather optimistic given the general evidence regarding degradation for Mercedes at this particular GPrix.
Last edited by Invade on Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lojik

Post by Lojik »

Zoue wrote:
Invade wrote:
Zoue wrote:

I have to agree.

Oh, it's just been confirmed that it's for him not stopping a seriously damaged car rather than the incident itself, so perhaps that's why.
Ah OK. That makes sense, thanks. SKY said he was under investigation for both things but maybe they got their wires crossed!
I really don't think Rosberg should get a penalty for that. I've seen far more damaged cars than that carry on.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Maranello1 wrote:
Would you have preferred he lie?
I prefer it if what he said caused Hamilton not the need to defend himself when he did nothing wrong.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

I thought they clarified that the investigation on Nico is just for driving with the car in black flag condition...?

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

bourbon19 wrote:Hamilton is being booed to death. Apparently the crowd feels he was too aggressive. In any case he should not have said that that the fans sentiments were "their problem" - that was discourteous to the paying supporters. I think he could benefit from a little media training.
You're reaching this conclusion now? :lol: :lol:

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Jezza13 wrote:
red_alert wrote:

As a Ricciardo fan, i'm worried.

Yeah, he should have won Spain & Monaco but Verstappen is driving very, very well and believe me, I say that through firmly gritted teeth.
Max definitely outdrove Ricci this race. Better race pace, better tire management. He's already ahead of where I thought he would be. Ricciardo is in for a real fight there.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

mikeyg123 wrote:Rosberg was never making that corner without hitting Hamilton. If it was a brake failure then Hamilton could be the only one in trouble here. Clearly didn't resume safely at best. Deliberately hit Rosberg at worse.
He swerves away from Rosberg on re-entry, Rosbergs damage comes from the initial contact at the corner. If Rosberg had a brake failure, fair do's, it happens and if thats why he went straight on at that point then ok. With that said, could be the stewards are investigating why he finishes that lap with failed brakes.

BREAKING: Rosberg on Sky admitting he caused the collision.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Laz_T800

Post by Laz_T800 »

Zoue wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:It was Hamilton turning into Rosberg, I just saw it now in slo-mo, but that's stewards thing to think about.
ah good so I did remember it correctly :]
Well if you mean Hamilton turned and Nico T-boned him i'd say you were both spot on.

Invade

Post by Invade »

Lewis' response was awesome as far as I'm concerned. Damned right, it's their problem. Thank goodness for some personality in sport. If he'd had too much media training he wouldn't have said what was on his mind and frankly it's their problem and not his. It's not even terribly rude but it is pretty true.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

cosmo wrote:I don't understand why they pitted Hamilton in the first place?!? He had tyres as old as Raikkonen and newer then Verstapen...
I believe the Mercs weren't that kind to their tyres

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

chetan_rao wrote:Lewis 'technically' did pass under yellow flags and outside track limits. Could Max inherit the win?
No he didn't he actually passed him on the track
Last edited by pokerman on Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition