Hamilton: Simulator no better than PlayStation

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
IDrinkYourMilkshake

Hamilton: Simulator no better than PlayStation

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/5694 ... ayStation/

“I don’t drive the simulator a lot because it’s not at its best at the moment – we’re working on trying to make it better,” Hamilton said.
“I don’t do a lot of time in simulators. When I was at McLaren we did way too much.
“I could spend £100 on a PlayStation and learn the same amount.”

This is very surprising. As far back as 2007 I've heard Alonso say McLaren has a state of the art simulator, and that Renault's was like a PS3. I assumed ten years since then, all the top teams have highly advanced simulators. We have seen the Red Bull one in videos, and I'm shocked that Hamilton feels Mercedes' simulator is like a PS, and that he's actually come out and said that. Doesn't reflect too well on the team, does it?

Do we have any accurate idea of how good these simulators actually are?

telmernatorx

Re: Hamilton: Simulator no better than PlayStation

Post by telmernatorx »

Im just shocked that Lewis thinks a playstation costs £100, these F1 drivers these days have lost touch with reality.:)

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Wasn't "the red bull one" just footage of the upcoming f1 2016 game?
If you're referring to the baku onboard.

minchy

Post by minchy »

Covalent wrote:Wasn't "the red bull one" just footage of the upcoming f1 2016 game?
If you're referring to the baku onboard.
Yes it was.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

I think several racing games are quite good. They're approaching to real simulations quickly.
I love Gran Turismo 6 and I think its quite good even if the graphics are still ps3 level (outdated)

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/5694 ... ayStation/

“I don’t drive the simulator a lot because it’s not at its best at the moment – we’re working on trying to make it better,” Hamilton said.
“I don’t do a lot of time in simulators. When I was at McLaren we did way too much.

This is very surprising. As far back as 2007 I've heard Alonso say McLaren has a state of the art simulator, and that Renault's was like a PS3. I assumed ten years since then, all the top teams have highly advanced simulators. We have seen the Red Bull one in videos, and I'm shocked that Hamilton feels Mercedes' simulator is like a PS, and that he's actually come out and said that. Doesn't reflect too well on the team, does it?

I shouldn't read too much into how accurate his description is. He may simply be using hyperbole to drive home a point. Or not. But I doubt it's meant to be taken quite so literally.

Think about it. No team's going to spend upwards of six figures on state of the art simulators if they'd get the same result as a £100 Playstation (presumably from eBay ;) ). I think Lewis is probably just trying to convey the same message he did when saying he doesn't do track walks. It certainly seems suspiciously close timing. I'm inferring from his words that he feels the only worthwhile learning experience is physically driving the track. Nothing more.

Ennis

Post by Ennis »

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/5694 ... ayStation/

I suppose the flipside is - how close are the F1 games now to reality? The older games were very arcade like, the latter are much more aimed at simulation and it wouldn't be a huge surprise if their ability to be realistic can match what the team can do. The only difference is the team can likely throw in specific variables.

angrypirate

Post by angrypirate »

Im sure I read somewhere that a lot of the teams use the playstation F1 game as the graphical front and track information for their simulators - why reinvent the wheel.

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

In Formula One the main purpose of each team's simulator is to test setups on the car. The driver is part of the loop, since he does control the inputs of the wheel, pedals, and other switches. But for the great majority of the time the simulator is dedicated to the engineers setting up the car. Another purpose is for driver familiarity, of the car itself and lastly, a track. But even then, the car is accurate, it is a real cockpit with a real wheel. The graphics are insane, with a display and resolution fit for a king. And most of the time, the track is scanned by a laser, accurate to within one millimeter for every part of the track. If they have time, and Baku probably doesn't allow that luxury. Even if the team went to the trouble of scanning Baku and downloading the cloud map into their simulator computers, part of the track are asphalt paved over cobblestones just for this event. Once the race is over they intend to rip up the asphalt and reveal the historic cobblestones. So some sections of the Baku track are not 100% accurate.

The term "simulator" is a loose one, it can extend to just a simple computer program (fuel strategies for example) to simple PS3 style equipment to full blown 6 degrees of motion with amazing graphics. So what does Mercedes use? The first hints start with this video.

Source courtesy Mercedes AMG Petronas

We don't know, it's top secret and the team will not allow it to be revealed to the public. IMO it's something like this, but on a much grander (and more expensive) scale.

Source courtesy CKAS Mechantronics

Nothing can truly mirror the true forces and impressions a driver receives in a simulator. But the goal is to fool the human body into believing, and it's amazing how much that can be done. Tilt the simulator base back, and you really believe the car is accelerating. Even though it is sitting oh the same spot. The teams attempt true fidelity, but they can only come close. Very close, but not the last one percent.

Now we have to delve into the driver psychology. Each driver has spent years honing his skill and decision-making progress. They develop patterns of behavior, and they also know that this is part of their success, this is what got them into Formula One. If it works, I don't want to change it. Why should I change my approach to life and racing when it has got me this wonderful job paying many millions of dollars a year, world titles, and the adoration of millions? This is boring, I'm a man of action and accomplishments, why am I here buried deep within a building when I am a racer, one who is only happy (and good) in a real race car?

Source courtesy Mercedes AMG Petronas

But most of the simulator work in a factory is boring stuff for any driver, countless laps as the engineers try out different setup solutions. They don't even have the enjoyment of simulating a race, no other cars, just them droning around a track.
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

I've had the chance to use both commercial and military flight simulators a few times over the years, both static and full motion and I've got to say that if Lewis doesn't see the point them then he is using it wrong or simply lying. They are incredible prices of kit and it's quite easy to forget that your in a simulator if you're not thinking about it.

A lot of pilots, particularly fighter pilots, will spend more time in the simulator than they ever will in the aircraft itself.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

Teach206

Post by Teach206 »

Then he goes out in FP1 and sets the fastest time.

Seems he has a point here...

Blinky McSquinty

Blackhander wrote:I've had the chance to use both commercial and military flight simulators a few times over the years, both static and full motion and I've got to say that if Lewis doesn't see the point them then he is using it wrong or simply lying. They are incredible prices of kit and it's quite easy to forget that your in a simulator if you're not thinking about it.

A lot of pilots, particularly fighter pilots, will spend more time in the simulator than they ever will in the aircraft itself.
That's just it Blackhander, most people do not understand how immersive they are. I have a little racing rig, nothing moves. But after a race where I become fully immersed, I find my head rocks forward when I comes to a complete stop. That is how well they fool the mind body. My wife tells me that when I'm racing my head tilts, I am very physical, and I lean side to side.

This is the Ferrari Formula One simulator. If you examine close enough, you can discern the cockpit, projectors, and screen within.

Source courtesy of Axis of Oversteer

Blinky McSquinty

Teach206 wrote:Then he goes out in FP1 and sets the fastest time.

Seems he has a point here...
And what's the point? He spent hours back in the factory simulator, then went fast once at the actual track. Is it because he doesn't like the hours of preparation in the simulator?

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Sometimes I feel like Lewis is just the puppet of some marketing firm and they decide what cool things he should say that makes them the most money. Deep down I think he is much more humble, down to earth and laid back than he sometimes lets on.

Pullrod

Post by Pullrod »

Covalent wrote:Sometimes I feel like Lewis is just the puppet of some marketing firm and they decide what cool things he should say that makes them the most money. Deep down I think he is much more humble, down to earth and laid back than he sometimes lets on.

"I just think that I can learn nothing in the simulator,"

"I learn a new track quickly, without a simulator."

"I'm not like other drivers, so I haven't driven the simulator to learn it,"

"I like to go to different places and the challenge of driving a new circuit is always interesting,"[/i]

Kimi Raikkonen (2013).

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/187198/1/k ... ators.html

Maybe Kimi is also a puppet? I guess not.. ;)
Last edited by Pullrod on Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

It's amazing how many people know so much more about the worth of spending hours in Mercedes simulator than Hamilton.

Mr-E

Post by Mr-E »

The drivers were asked in thursday's PC about how many laps they had done in the sim for Baku.
Alonso said 0. Hulk also 0 (they don't have a sim).

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Pullrod wrote:
Covalent wrote:Sometimes I feel like Lewis is just the puppet of some marketing firm and they decide what cool things he should say that makes them the most money. Deep down I think he is much more humble, down to earth and laid back than he sometimes lets on.

"I like to go to different places and the challenge of driving a new circuit is always interesting,"

Kimi Raikkonen (2013).

Kimi has said he can´t drive the simulator because it makes him nauseous, don´t know how that would fit into the puppeteer´s masterplan? Besides, I never said Kimi and Lewis were alike, I didn´t even mention him...

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

mikeyg123 wrote:It's amazing how many people know so much more about the worth of spending hours in Mercedes simulator than Hamilton.
Yeah I know, just thinking on what the size of the team that designed and built the simulator must have been makes me dizzy...

Pullrod

Post by Pullrod »

Covalent wrote:
Pullrod wrote:

"I like to go to different places and the challenge of driving a new circuit is always interesting,"

Kimi Raikkonen (2013).

Kimi has said he can´t drive the simulator because it makes him nauseous, don´t know how that would fit into the puppeteer´s masterplan? Besides, I never said Kimi and Lewis were alike, I didn´t even mention him...

Of course they are not alike.. Hamilton is the only one who is not genuine and does things to look "cool".

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:“I could spend £100 on a PlayStation and learn the same amount.”
Good luck with that one Lewis!

I know Rubens Barrichello is often seen on iRacing, I often see people posting pictures of a practice session/race with him in it on my Twitter feed which is pretty cool.

With laser track scanning and incredibly detailed cars (in terms of handling etc.) even relatively cheap simulators are becoming more and more realistic. The main thing it's lacking is replicating the actual feeling of driving but I know a lot of the F1 teams are very high tech and move hydraulically to simulate the feeling of the car as best they can.

I'd be interested to hear exactly what areas of the simulator he feels aren't accurate, the car handling, tracks not being accurate (in terms of bumps etc.) or just the feedback/way the simulator tries to replicate G-Force.
Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Pullrod wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Pullrod wrote:

Kimi Raikkonen (2013).

Of course they are not alike.. Hamilton is the only one who is not genuine and does things to look "cool".
:thumbup:

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

Well they're both virtual, so he has a point.

I remember Jacques Villeneuve saying in 1996 he used a Playstation to learn F1 tracks he hadn't yet driven on, but back then it was an emerging technology. But now? I doubt it'll benefit a driver more than just watching a repeated YouTube lap of the circuit and then getting in the car and doing it for real.
#KeepFightingMichael

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

FFS let's not ruin a perfectly good thread that's been generating good posts into another driver v. driver swimming pool match! Sick to death of it.

Edit: :lol: at the swear filter. Swimming pool? :lol:
{Insert clever sig line here}

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Blackhander wrote:I've had the chance to use both commercial and military flight simulators a few times over the years, both static and full motion and I've got to say that if Lewis doesn't see the point them then he is using it wrong or simply lying. They are incredible prices of kit and it's quite easy to forget that your in a simulator if you're not thinking about it.

I've worked for defense contractors for going on 30 years and done a lot of work on simulators for everything for Abrams tanks to F-18's. The absolute best fidelity you can get as far as the inner ear is concerned is a 6-axis gondola mounted to the arm of a centrifuge. Acceleration, deceleration, climbing, descending, left and right turns can all be felt based on the way the gondola is tilted in relation to the artificial gravity normal provided by the centrifuge.

About 20 years ago my company wanted to sell an amusement park ride like I described above based on work we'd done for the Navy. All of the parks thought it was a great ride since it only took a software change to turn it from a race car, to a spaceship, to whatever you wanted. The problem was throughput. Nobody could figure out a way to get enough people on and off the ride every hour while still having a full experience to make it cost effective so in the end no one bought it.
{Insert clever sig line here}

lamo

Post by lamo »

Mr-E wrote:The drivers were asked in thursday's PC about how many laps they had done in the sim for Baku.
Alonso said 0. Hulk also 0 (they don't have a sim).
Not even a PS4 in the coffee room?

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

Doesn't seem to have done Ricciardo much good...
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

Teddy007

Post by Teddy007 »

If I remember rightly McLaren had severe issues in correlation of data from their simulator. Perhaps that's what he means.

He has a point though there is nothing like the real thing. And he is also stating that they are working to make it better so must be worth it.

I think people reading too much in to it.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

mikeyg123 wrote:It's amazing how many people know so much more about the worth of spending hours in Mercedes simulator than Hamilton.
:lol: Isn't it!

What Lewis is saying is that he doesn't feel the simulator is that helpful for him as a DRIVER. That doesn't mean the simulator doesn't serve a purpose for the team. Obviously the engineers use it to understand how the car should be set up. Of course leave it to the forum to have people calling Lewis a liar for saying that lol. What would he know about driving an F1 car anyway right?

moby

Post by moby »

A sim is as much about learning the car and strategy as it is about the track. Can you imagine a driver learning all those steering wheel settings in Monaco live?

The engineers, drivers and strategists get to go over the same small sector on or over the limit several times without smashing the car up or knobbling the driver. Maybe he means he likes to drive "by the seat of his pants" but there is a lot to gain from controlled repetition.

Blinky McSquinty

Simulator training is a proven science, backed up by reams of hard data. It is now mandatory part of training for military and civil airliner pilots, as well as many other disciplines. All Formula One teams that can afford one have one. Not because they believe it may help, but because they know it does. It is not opinion, it is a fact.

Hamilton was required to put in simulator time in preparation for Baku. Then once at the track he goes out and puts in stellar times. There is a connection, despite his personal bias. He may not like doing all those boring hours, just droning around and around the track in a simulator.

optimisteprime

Post by optimisteprime »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Simulator training is a proven science, backed up by reams of hard data. It is now mandatory part of training for military and civil airliner pilots, as well as many other disciplines. All Formula One teams that can afford one have one. Not because they believe it may help, but because they know it does. It is not opinion, it is a fact.

Hamilton was required to put in simulator time in preparation for Baku. Then once at the track he goes out and puts in stellar times. There is a connection, despite his personal bias. He may not like doing all those boring hours, just droning around and around the track in a simulator.
In fairness flight dynamics are much easier to accurately simulate than driving dynamics as there is no chemical reaction between tyre and ground, no consideration of suspension dynamics, no consideration of bumps and different surfaces etc. There are of course very complicated simulations required of aerodynamics - but the driving simulator needs much of that too when it is simulating an F1 car.

Additionally, civil airliner pilots aren't using the simulator to work out how to push themselves and the plane to the limits in order to cut milliseconds off their flight time. They're practicing following set procedures and how to keep things within safe parameters and how to deal with different emergency scenarios. Landing at heathrow in real life and landing at heathrow in a simulator are probably very very similar experiences. Driving around Monaco in a simulator, and driving around it in real life as you feel every bump through your backside and the wind in your face and the g-forces that kick in as you brake - I can see why that wouldn't feel as close.

Maybe a military flight simulator for a fighter jet has more parallels with F1, but I have no idea to what extent they are used. Even a fighter pilot would rarely push to the limit in the way an F1 driver does in real life though - the reality is that their real-world usage is limited in modern times to recon and bombing targets with no air defence.

Zblogger

Post by Zblogger »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

"Hamilton was required to put in simulator time in preparation for Baku"

How do you know this? Do you have the agreement between Mercedes and Hamilton and what he is required to do?

It makes me cringe when people hide behind their PC and make up such things. Please show us evidence that Hamilton has not done his required factory work and the schedule he was supposed to be working to?

A.J.

Post by A.J. »

Zblogger wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

"Hamilton was required to put in simulator time in preparation for Baku"

How do you know this? Do you have the agreement between Mercedes and Hamilton and what he is required to do?

It makes me cringe when people hide behind their PC and make up such things. Please show us evidence that Hamilton has not done his required factory work and the schedule he was supposed to be working to?
While I don't know what their race-weekend schedules are like, I think you misunderstood the poster - when did he say anything about Hamilton not having done his required factory work?

POBRatings

Post by POBRatings »

To me it seems that Hamilton, like Senna and other top drivers, has such instant 'feel' in the car, that he/they do not need simulator or practice hours. Back in 1991 Berger had been pre-season testing the new McLaren-Honda for weeks and he and the crew reckoned they had the car at its peak. Senna arrived from holidaying in sunny Brazil, stepped into the car and was immediately half a second or more faster. Imo all the great drivers are similar in this talent.

Teach206

Post by Teach206 »

So, this is circuit racing. You go around the same track (in circles, as our wives constantly tell us). Once you're in the car and done it 3 or 4 times, there is nothing new again. Why do you need a simulator to tell you anything more?

Last weekend I went pro-Karting, the first time in 10 years. Never driven the track before the practice day, whereas everyone else drives that circuit every other weekend. Was OVERALL 2nd fastest in the wet on Practice Day and OVERALL 4th fastest in the Wet in official practice on Sunday. Went and put my Kart on Pole (Masters Class) in qualifying (Dry) and led 80% of Race 1 until a shunt damaged my ribs and I was forced to slow down (pain). In Race 2 (reverse Grid) started from the back, made my way the front and then had to slow due to pain. In Race 3, crashed out at the start of Lap 3 with a silly mistake, while leading.

Driving a circuit on a simulator or repeatedly in practice does not make you 'fast', it makes you 'familiar'. As a rally driver, I see stages twice at slow speeds during Recce and then 2-3 times at pace during the race. So if I do more than 3 laps on any circuit, I'm 'familiar' - now just to find the speed...

Lewis was the fastest in P1,2,3 and would have been on pole at the end of Q3 and gone on to win the race. Who still thinks he needs a simulator for practice?

BUT - it would have been a huge help if the simulator could mimic setting changes inputted by the driver, and like military simulators, force the user to learn how to manipulate the computer with the switches and dials on the steering wheel. Other than that, no need for them if you have raw talent...

moby

Post by moby »

I wonder if they have sessions of what the steering wheel knobs do and what the modes mean? Like a pilot would practace a failed component and how to bypass it? :twisted:

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Teach206 wrote:So, this is circuit racing. You go around the same track (in circles, as our wives constantly tell us). Once you're in the car and done it 3 or 4 times, there is nothing new again. Why do you need a simulator to tell you anything more?

Last weekend I went pro-Karting, the first time in 10 years. Never driven the track before the practice day, whereas everyone else drives that circuit every other weekend. Was OVERALL 2nd fastest in the wet on Practice Day and OVERALL 4th fastest in the Wet in official practice on Sunday. Went and put my Kart on Pole (Masters Class) in qualifying (Dry) and led 80% of Race 1 until a shunt damaged my ribs and I was forced to slow down (pain). In Race 2 (reverse Grid) started from the back, made my way the front and then had to slow due to pain. In Race 3, crashed out at the start of Lap 3 with a silly mistake, while leading.

Driving a circuit on a simulator or repeatedly in practice does not make you 'fast', it makes you 'familiar'. As a rally driver, I see stages twice at slow speeds during Recce and then 2-3 times at pace during the race. So if I do more than 3 laps on any circuit, I'm 'familiar' - now just to find the speed...

Lewis was the fastest in P1,2,3 and would have been on pole at the end of Q3 and gone on to win the race. Who still thinks he needs a simulator for practice?

BUT - it would have been a huge help if the simulator could mimic setting changes inputted by the driver, and like military simulators, force the user to learn how to manipulate the computer with the switches and dials on the steering wheel. Other than that, no need for them if you have raw talent...
You're a racing god AND can see the future? You're wasting your worth here on this forum, you should be out there saving the earth.

Zblogger

Post by Zblogger »

Words from Toto Wolff.

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff says there was no fault on Hamilton's part for not being able to fix the problem, which eventually sorted itself out.

"I don't think it is down to homework," Wolff told Sky Sports F1. "Simulator work wouldn't have helped in any way, it was very complicated to find the right setting."

Randine

Post by Randine »

From the Merc video above (if that is the real one) their sim in stationary.

Schu used to get sick in them.
I do playing any car game. I want to throw up after about 15 minutes.

If the motion doesn't mimic real world and match what you are seeing, then up to 50% of people feel sick. It is called Simulator sickness which is the opposite of car sickness (where you feel driving forces but are not at the controls)

As said above Alonso and hulk did no laps.
An interview with Ric said he did about 30. Just enough to memorise the layout. He said they can't simulate tyre grip levels and track temp very well, so has to get that feel on track.
He did say their simulator got the curb height wrong so he had to adjust his lines in the real world.

I think some guys can just step and be near their 100%.
Others need practise, warm up, favourite undies, coaching, pats on the back. Then they are at their 100%.

As an example outside F1, it was said of Tony Hawk that he could go a month or more without skateboarding, then go to a comp and with very little warm up be back to his best. Others would be training everyday for weeks trying to be at their peak for the day of competition.
Dan the man!