2016 Monaco GP race thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
simonr23

Re: 2016 Monaco GP race thread

Post by simonr23 »

Lewis being let past is fine at this track. It's fairly common and accepted.

Sevenfest

Post by Sevenfest »

Inappropriate post removed.
Last edited by Sevenfest on Sun May 29, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VDV23

Post by VDV23 »

PzR Slim wrote:
TheBlackFlag wrote:
Unparalleled wrote:Rosberg had a shocker today

Good win for Lewis
By "Good" do you mean unbelievably fortunate?
You know the old adage, you've got to be good to be lucky!
Hence why Rosberg is leading in the WDC? :? :-P

I cannot believe Lewis got away with cutting the corner and crowding Danny.

Randine

Post by Randine »

Zblogger wrote:Master class in wet weather driving from Hamilton today.
Master class driving from Hamilton, Ricciardo, Vettel and Alonso.
And keeping the ultras going for so long.
Ric matched anything Ham did in the wet.
He only pitted as Max was setting fastest laps after fastest laps on the intermediate tyres.

I think Pirelli have a bit to answer for.
They said last race the Mediums were good for 20 laps. Vestappen easily did 32.
This race with 15 to go, the Pirelli rep was surprised Ham's tyres (ultra soft) had lasted as long as they had...
Last edited by Randine on Sun May 29, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan the man!

Invade

Post by Invade »

Hamilton drove a great race. Ricciardo drove at least as well and made mistakes later based on his frustration in trying to overtake Hamilton as a result of a major mistake that was out of his hands from the Red Bull team. Overall, they were on a similar level.

Great work from Alonso and Perez, a shoddy race from Rosberg and a hilarious coming together between Nasr and Ericsson. My heart does go out to Ricciardo here, who was let down horribly by his team.
Last edited by Invade on Sun May 29, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

Actually this sort of post frightens me.

"Master class in wet weather driving from Hamilton today" etc. etc.

Have you ever seen a REAL wet weather race?

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Lewis actually won thrice.
First when he extended his stint on the wet tyres & 2nd when Red Bull screwed the pit stop.
Third time was officially!
Feel The Fourth

Unparalleled

Post by Unparalleled »

Ric should be mad at his team and no one else tbh. Lewis did the right thing and the stewards agreed. No leader would ever let someone thru after making a slight error.

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

Inappropriate quote removed.
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker

Randine

Post by Randine »

Invade wrote:Hamilton drove a great race. Ricciardo drove at least as well and made mistakes later based on his frustration in trying to overtake Hamilton as a result of a major mistake that was out of his hands from the Red Bull team. Overall, they were on a similar level.

Great work from Alonso and Perez, a shoddy race from Rosberg and a hilarious coming together between Nasr and Ericsson. My heart does go out to Ricciardo here, who was let down horribly by his team.
Ricciardo was easily the driver of the day for me.
He pulled the gap in the wet.
He should have come out in front of Hamilton by 7-8 seconds had his team not stuffed up.

re made mistakes? what locked up a few times, his tyres were gone from following Hamilton too closely.
Dan the man!

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

UnlikeUday wrote:Lewis actually won thrice.
First when he extended his stint on the wet tyres & 2nd when Red Bull screwed the pit stop.
Third time was officially!
He "won" twice. One when his teammate crawled to a stop to let him by, and second when he went completely off track and then crowded Ricciardo. Great "victory".

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Unparalleled wrote:Ric should be mad at his team and no one else tbh. Lewis did the right thing and the stewards agreed. No leader would ever let someone thru after making a slight error.
For me it was an aggressive move after already leaving the track to maintain position, no penalty required but he should given the place to Ricciardo IMO.

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

Sevenfest wrote:
LKS1 wrote:
Sevenfest wrote:
McPrancingBull wrote:
Amon wrote:VSC yawn just end the race already
I personally think it's been an exciting race today.
Yeah it's been a good race bar the nonsense with the first few laps. Some nice jostling for positions
Its been a poor race with poor stewarding - IMO of course.
Of course! There's always two camps when it comes to Monaco anyway.
And I 'put my hat' into the interesting to see the skill camp.

Team orders and cutting chicanes are not my idea of skill.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Nice language Daniel, and it's not even your second language like Raikkonen and Vettel. :lol:

Unparalleled

Post by Unparalleled »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Unparalleled wrote:Ric should be mad at his team and no one else tbh. Lewis did the right thing and the stewards agreed. No leader would ever let someone thru after making a slight error.
For me it was an aggressive move after already leaving the track to maintain position, no penalty required but he should given the place to Ricciardo IMO.
Like I said no one leading a race would hand their lead over after a slight error.

Zblogger

Post by Zblogger »

Wow. Ricc calling his team out!!
Should that not be behind closed doors?

Sevenfest

Post by Sevenfest »

Inappropriate quote removed.

Laz_T800

Post by Laz_T800 »

LKS1 wrote:
Actually this sort of post frightens me.

"Master class in wet weather driving from Hamilton today" etc. etc.

Have you ever seen a REAL wet weather race?
Yeah, Silverstone 2008. You might want to take a look.

sidders

Post by sidders »

Good drive from Lewis but was given that one by Red Bull

PRFAN

Post by PRFAN »

So much hate for the man!!!!

He WON deal with it, I see nothing wrong with what he did on that chicane deal, just racing, RIC needs to speak to his pit crew and team, thats were he lost the race!!

Hamilton showed why he is the best, and I am not a Hamilton fan!!!!

I can give credit when its due tho.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Zblogger wrote:Wow. Ricc calling his team out!!
They deserve to be humiliated like that.

First they call Ric in & don't have tyres to put. What did they assume it was? A food takeaway?
Feel The Fourth

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Unparalleled wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Like I said no one leading a race would hand their lead over after a slight error.
Agreed but if Hamilton had stayed left and maintained the position into Tabac then it would have been fair enough. For me the combination of leaving the track and then an aggressive blocking move was too far. Don't forget he only made the error because Ricciardo was alongside so he broke extremely late.

Anyway I'll leave it there I think because I can see where this is going to end up.

Invade

Post by Invade »

Randine wrote:
Invade wrote:Hamilton drove a great race. Ricciardo drove at least as well and made mistakes later based on his frustration in trying to overtake Hamilton as a result of a major mistake that was out of his hands from the Red Bull team. Overall, they were on a similar level.

Ricciardo was easily the driver of the day for me.
He pulled the gap in the wet.
He should have come out in front of Hamilton by 7-8 seconds had his team not stuffed up.

re made mistakes? what locked up a few times, his tyres were gone from following Hamilton too closely.
Yes, I explained why he made those mistakes later in the race.

Yeah, Ricciardo was very impressive at the start of the race. I think Hamilton would have been able to stick with him were he not stuck behind an incredibly slow Rosberg. I was impressed with both of their performances - Hamilton's management on the US tyres was highly commendable. I was equally impressed also with Alonso and Perez. The driver of the weekend was Ricciardo and he could be a very serious threat for the remainder of the season.

ElevenTenths

Post by ElevenTenths »

Yes I wonder how he would have reacted if he lost the race making a pit-stop he DIDN'T NEED because his team called him in?

ynot22

Post by ynot22 »

Well if there was ever any doubt todays race put it to rest. Everyone always makes excuses for Red Bull but "the breaks" always fall to their favorite driver on that team and Ricciardo is the new Webber.I dont see how he can stay with that team now and thats probably exactly the way RBR wants it.

Invade

Post by Invade »

Ricciardo went there, saying that he's been "screwed" now for the last two races, and essentially stating that his team had screwed him.

The positives are that for two races now the Red Bull has been very handy. Will the trend continue? I think they could become increasingly dangerous as the season progresses.

"I guess from the outside we put on a show but it shouldn't have been exciting. Two races in a row I've been screwed.

"I got called in to box, I didn't make the call. They should have been ready."
Last edited by Invade on Sun May 29, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBlackFlag

Post by TheBlackFlag »

PRFAN wrote:So much hate for the man!!!!

He WON deal with it, I see nothing wrong with what he did on that chicane deal, just racing, RIC needs to speak to his pit crew and team, thats were he lost the race!!

I don't think there is any hate for him. Pointing out where he was fortunate is hardly hate. He made the most of the gifts given him today. As he well knows from his own experience here, a mistake in the pits can cost you the victory.

He was on the other side of a pit mistake this year. (amoung other things). He won, fairplay to him, but he needed three things to go his way and they did.

ElevenTenths

Post by ElevenTenths »

Everyone thinks they are fast in F1 until they get a whiff of Lewis Hamilton's talent. :-)

Randine

Post by Randine »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Unparalleled wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Agreed but if Hamilton had stayed left and maintained the position into Tabac then it would have been fair enough. For me the combination of leaving the track and then an aggressive blocking move was too far. Don't forget he only made the error because Ricciardo was alongside so he broke extremely late.

Anyway I'll leave it there I think because I can see where this is going to end up.
As that turned out to be his best overtaking opportunity, it was a real shame.
I don't think worthy of a penalty, but if he didn't block, Ric had much better drive and it would have been pretty close for an overtake on that straight.
Ric would have cruised to an easy victory.

Then there is the missing the chicane part, which he only did as he outbraked himself. Ric stayed on the trace.

So it was 2 mistakes by Hamilton, both of which cost Ric the lead.

Ah just heard Ric's stop was 13 seconds.
To say Ham was the best today is not right as Ric sat standing still for 10 seconds longer than he should have.

I was gutted last year when Ham lost the race when he pitted and then came out behind Rosberg and Vettel. I guess this makes up for that.

After Ric's Q3 in the last race and his total performance this weekend, he really should have come away with at least 1 win, if not 2 in the last 2 races.
Last edited by Randine on Sun May 29, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dan the man!

v@sh

Post by v@sh »

Invade wrote:Ricciardo went there, saying that he's been "screwed" now for the last two races, and essentially stating that his team had screwed him.

The positives are that for two races now the Red Bull has been very handy. Will the trend continue? I think they could become increasingly dangerous as the season progresses.
Well it's true, he has been screwed for the last two races:

- Barcelona, in the leading the race, controlling the race on a 2 stop strategy and gets changed mid-race to a 3 stopper which was the wrong one. Ends up off the podium.
- Monaco, easily in the lead again, controlling the race. Team call him only to have no tires ready. Costs him the race.

So yes, he has been screwed the last two races.

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

Hamilton deserved it, good strategy and great driving but RBR lost the race in the pits. Too many drivers made error today and Rosberg lost a place in the end was also surprising. I think todays's result is great for the championship. Good team work for Mercedes. Losing 2 races in a row would have been a disaster for them :lol:
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

Invade

Post by Invade »

Lewis seems to rate Ricciardo very very highly.

ynot22

Post by ynot22 »

ElevenTenths wrote:Everyone thinks they are fast in F1 until they get a whiff of Lewis Hamilton's talent. :-)
Look he's a fast driver but that whiff you smelt today was largely luck.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

I actually thought Ricciardo was left enough room when I saw the camera angle from the front, be interesting to see it again.

Aswell as cutting the chicane it was done by other drivers and when has a driver ever given up the lead because they cut the chicane, by that then Rosberg gives up the lead in Canada. Drivers give back the position if they cut chicane/corner while attempting an overtake.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

ElevenTenths

Post by ElevenTenths »

TheBlackFlag wrote:

I don't think there is any hate for him. Pointing out where he was fortunate is hardly hate. He made the most of the gifts given him today. As he well knows from his own experience here, a mistake in the pits can cost you the victory.

He was on the other side of a pit mistake this year. (amoung other things). He won, fairplay to him, but he needed three things to go his way and they did.
Amazing drive from Lewis, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt you to admit that. Same way you cheered when MV got a race handed to him two weeks ago.

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

ElevenTenths wrote:
Yes I wonder how he would have reacted if he lost the race making a pit-stop he DIDN'T NEED because his team called him in?

Probably not the most tactful approach but I don't think there will be any angst over it.

Webber gave the team twice as much stick on occasions and there was never any negative response to his comments.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Can't believe Rosberg let Hamilton through at the start. He's your WDC competitor, Hamilton would never have let Rosberg through roles reversed! Thinking back to Malaysia 2013 and 'you owe me one'.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

IDrinkYourMilkshake

ElevenTenths wrote:Everyone thinks they are fast in F1 until they get a whiff of Lewis Hamilton's talent. :-)
Yup, hard to be fast when the guy ahead cuts a corner completely and then blocks you.

Only, and only, Hamilton fans talk like the are his mum. So corny.

Zblogger

Post by Zblogger »

Tbf Ricc was the fastest out there today.. But as we know when there is rain. Safety cars et.c. Anything can happen!

VDV23

Post by VDV23 »

You know, racing usually involves as pre-determined course. And that course is regulated by certain white lines. So going outside of these white lines and keeping the position is not "just racing", you know.