2016 Monaco GP race thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Quark

2016 Monaco GP race thread

Post by Quark »

I hope it rains during the race so we can have an exciting race.

lamo

Re: 2016 Monaco GP race thread

Post by lamo »

The forecast says heavy rain and thunderstorms before the race followed by likely showers at race start time.

Odds are as follows

8am-11am : 81% chance of rain
11am-2pm : 71% chance of rain
2pm - 5pm: 20 % chance of rain

Race starts at 2pm local time. It is all down to the wind when the rain stops, it good start wet but not be raining and be dry race or be a full wet race. Drying track, starting on inters could be interesting, but I suspect that will be a 1 stopper and race over.

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

I will watch for:

Rosberg possibly jumping Ricciardo. His starts were quite good recently.

What will Hulkenberg do from 5th.

How will STR drivers hold up with the big boys.

Will Alonso fall behind and hold up the bunch of cars behind, because if he does so, it is a clear sign that Mclaren officials were talking nonsense recently.
The end is near

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

If there's rain race control won't even start the race. They always wait for at least inters and never wets. I can already predict the commentators, drivers, fans will be all saying it's ok conditions and race control will just wait till the track is nearly dry and 2 laps later every driver is in for slicks.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Amon

Post by Amon »

Quark wrote:I hope it rains during the race so we can have an exciting race.
No I hope for a dry and boring race with Dan leading pole to flag. :lol:
Oh well of course I hope for an exciting race but really hope Dan wins, it's crazy he has not been on the podium yet this season.
Hope for a good result for Hulk too and if it rains or mixed conditions I'm curious what Jenson can do.
F1 fan since 1989

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

I think Dan knows this might be his best chance to even the score against his teammate and get a win of his own, if it rains it should play even more into the strengths of the red bulls.

moby

Post by moby »

By exciting, you mean cars going into the wall? :]

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

BBC Radio commentators were saying that there's a marked difference in grip levels between the racing line and the other side of the grid. Since Monaco doesn't have a straight on the start/finish line where exactly is the racing line and who does it affect most on the grid? Would overnight rain wash away any advantage associated with one side of the track?

I can foresee two things happening on race day: Rosberg getting a worse start than both Ricciardo and Hamilton; The Merc's coming together again.

I can't imagine it being an interesting race and I have a sneaking suspicion that the Merc. drivers will have been told to hold formation until the end of the race (which will possibly happen anyway due to the nature of Monaco).

So, maybe they'll race to the first corner but if they so much as even rub wheels or knock an endplate off, there'll be a sh1tstorm.

Swarth

Post by Swarth »

i wonder when verstappy will bin it

Quark

Post by Quark »

moby wrote:

By exciting, you mean cars going into the wall? :]
I wouldn't mind the Mercs crashing out at the start, Vettel and Ricciardo fighting for the lead would be awesome, but I think Rosberg will jump Ricciardo at the start and stay there with the midfield providing all the "excitement".

Quark

Post by Quark »

Amon wrote:
No I hope for a dry and boring race with Dan leading pole to flag. :lol:
Oh well of course I hope for an exciting race but really hope Dan wins, it's crazy he has not been on the podium yet this season.
Hope for a good result for Hulk too and if it rains or mixed conditions I'm curious what Jenson can do.
I would love for Seb to win it, but it would also be nice if Ricciardo or a non-Mercedes wins.

Badgeronimous

Post by Badgeronimous »

I think its an intriguing race with a lot of strategic variables.

Monaco never gives an overtake fest, but it can still be a very interesting race.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

The latest news is that it has rained very happily in the morning in Monaco! That means even if it doesn't rain during the race, the grip levels will be miserable as all the rubber laid down on the track has been washed away.

The only real positive about the rain is that it becomes a real lottery for the bravest driver & luckiest one as well to win.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... is-falling
Feel The Fourth

cm97

Post by cm97 »

UnlikeUday wrote:The latest news is that it has rained very happily in the morning in Monaco! That means even if it doesn't rain during the race, the grip levels will be miserable as all the rubber laid down on the track has been washed away.

The only real positive about the rain is that it becomes a real lottery for the bravest driver & luckiest one as well to win.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... is-falling

With the rubber being washed away so to speak, that should theoretically mean that tyre wear will be higher as well as a lack of grip.
My interpretation is that it could push some into to a 2 stopper (due to excessive tyre wear) particularly if Ricciardo is leading the train. It also means that if the race stays dry, then Ricciardo may benefit from not having to take on the Ultra Soft until the end when there will be rubber and lighter fuel loads to comfort the tyre through. Game on!
#Keep Fighting Michael

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

:]
I understand and respect the safety requirements, but I would absolutely love to see a standing race start in that, not a safety car for the first few laps and a rolling start.

Aussie Grit

Post by Aussie Grit »

"I think Dan knows this might be his best chance to even the score against his teammate"
Ehh?
I don't think Dan really cares about settling the score with his teammate, just coming out on top at the end the season.
Supporting Alonso, Ricciardo and Hulk.

Find it hard to resist responding to stupid posts.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I hope it's wet start that dry's in about 25/30 laps followed by a shower around the lap 60 mark. Ideal. I hope it's dry enough for a standing start and not raining so there's no will they/won't they aspect to the race.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

How is the weather at the moment?

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

mikeyg123 wrote:I hope it's wet start that dry's in about 25/30 laps followed by a shower around the lap 60 mark. Ideal. I hope it's dry enough for a standing start and not raining so there's no will they/won't they aspect to the race.
Agree. One of the many things that annoy/bore me about F1 nowadays is the way races are only allowed to start when the drivers intermediates can be changed to dry tyres within a couple of laps :uhoh: . Far better a dry start than pretending its a wet start on intermediates.

Does anyone know when wet tyres were last used?

j man

Post by j man »

flyboy10 wrote:BBC Radio commentators were saying that there's a marked difference in grip levels between the racing line and the other side of the grid. Since Monaco doesn't have a straight on the start/finish line where exactly is the racing line and who does it affect most on the grid? Would overnight rain wash away any advantage associated with one side of the track?

I can foresee two things happening on race day: Rosberg getting a worse start than both Ricciardo and Hamilton; The Merc's coming together again.

I can't imagine it being an interesting race and I have a sneaking suspicion that the Merc. drivers will have been told to hold formation until the end of the race (which will possibly happen anyway due to the nature of Monaco).

So, maybe they'll race to the first corner but if they so much as even rub wheels or knock an endplate off, there'll be a sh1tstorm.
It's not just the 'dirty track' effect, 2nd place is on the outside of the gently curving pit straight so Hamilton has the inside already.

To be fair I think Hamilton learned from his disastrous 2011 race and has been quite sensible in Monaco in recent years. Even last year when his frustration following the pitstop blunder must have been unbearable. Unless Rosberg really fluffs his start I think Hamilton will tuck in behind.

lamo

Post by lamo »

It is currently raining, light/medium showers. They say it will rain 100% chance until 1pm. 1-2pm has a 50% chance of rain. The race starts at 2pm. 2pm onwards has a 30% chance of rain.

We are starting on inters, 100% sure, then it will be a game of who dares to take dries first. Jenson Button territory.
Last edited by lamo on Sun May 29, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swarth

Post by Swarth »

typical the race is most likely going to start under safety car

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

The race won't start till its virtually dry and they need to pit after a few laps. Rare to see wet tyres for a good amount of time these days.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Hamilton_Jar wrote:The race won't start till its virtually dry and they need to pit after a few laps. Rare to see wet tyres for a good amount of time these days.
We don't run in full wet conditions in F1 anymore. I think we all know that. Hopefully it's inter territory and dry enough for a standing start or at least just one lap behind the safety car.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Hamilton_Jar wrote:The race won't start till its virtually dry and they need to pit after a few laps. Rare to see wet tyres for a good amount of time these days.
We don't run in full wet conditions in F1 anymore. I think we all know that. Hopefully it's inter territory and dry enough for a standing start or at least just one lap behind the safety car.
So what's the point in wet tyres? The best races use to be in the rain.

Also why do race control always keep the drivers out too long under the safer car, like I said before we will probably be hearing fans, commentators and drivers saying it's ok to go but race control wait 5 laps to long.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Sevenfest

Post by Sevenfest »

Anyone watching Sky? Did Johnny put a bet on whether he could get Lewis to punch him in the face?
I know it's Sky's job to rattle the cages but thought that was over the mark.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Hamilton_Jar wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Also why do race control always keep the drivers out too long under the safer car, like I said before we will probably be hearing fans, commentators and drivers saying it's ok to go but race control wait 5 laps to long.
Better to have them in case than not.

I agree with you RE safety car but I also think the drivers are as much to blame as race control. It's very hard for race control when a lot of drivers (quite often with a strategical interest) are saying it is too wet to race/too much spray etc.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Sevenfest wrote:Anyone watching Sky? Did Johnny put a bet on whether he could get Lewis to punch him in the face?
What was said?

Sevenfest

Post by Sevenfest »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Sevenfest wrote:Anyone watching Sky? Did Johnny put a bet on whether he could get Lewis to punch him in the face?
What was said?

"Oh Lewis, you're a bit of a grumpy boy aren't you? Look at you, you've been grumpy the last few days - what's up?"
"Have I been?"
"Yeah, you're being grumpy with me now as well, why are you so grumpy?"
"I'm not grumpy man, I'm in a good mood. I'm in Monaco and I'm racing in front of these people - wave to those guys, that's the Starlight kids foundation over there"

He was just blatantly trying to push his buttons more than with anyone else, thought it was crass.

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

Hamilton_Jar wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Couldn't agree more - the full out, driving rain races really sorted out the best drivers.

Its not allowed to happen anymore for safety reasons presumably. I could forgive this to a certain extent if they allowed the drivers to race when inters were needed - but as when the race re-starts they are back on dry tyres within a couple of laps - it makes a joke of pretending F1 drives in wet conditions.

Which brings me back to - when were wet tyres last used in F1?

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

If they start on inters could the 2nd Merc be in trouble at the pit stops?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

LKS1 wrote:
Hamilton_Jar wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Couldn't agree more - the full out, driving rain races really sorted out the best drivers.

Its not allowed to happen anymore for safety reasons presumably. I could forgive this to a certain extent if they allowed the drivers to race when inters were needed - but as when the race re-starts they are back on dry tyres within a couple of laps - it makes a joke of pretending F1 drives in wet conditions.

Whenever the safety car starts the race everyone has to run wet tyres. So definitely Suzuka 2014. I'm struggling to think of a wet 2015 race.

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

Yeah, I just saw that. I think Herbert comes across as someone who's not respected by the current F1 drivers. His questions are inane and he sounds like he's trying to be pally with the drivers who he's not really well in with at all. It's slightly embarrassing. Still, you're not going to get Michael Parkinson to interview the drivers.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

LKS1 wrote:
Hamilton_Jar wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

God knows, they might of been used by cars in certain races but not sure for a large amount of time. Like we both say about the inters. The cars will roll about behind the safety car till its dry and then come in a few laps later.
Conditions like that sort the men from the boys. I understand it's dangerous but don't let it be virtually dry before they go racing.
Like mikeyg said you will get half the grid saying it's ok and others saying it isn't to help there strategys. Or maybe to help themselves as a driver because Hamilton needs the rain in my eyes more then Ricciardo and Rosberg.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

Sevenfest wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
What was said?

"Oh Lewis, you're a bit of a grumpy boy aren't you? Look at you, you've been grumpy the last few days - what's up?"
"Have I been?"
"I'm not grumpy man, I'm in a good mood. I'm in Monaco and I'm racing in front of these people - wave to those guys, that's the Starlight kids foundation over there"

He was just blatantly trying to push his buttons more than with anyone else, thought it was crass.
Depp is known as an OTT type guy (for good or bad) and Lewis is known as a prima donna - so of course Depp is going to 'push his buttons'.

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
LKS1 wrote:
Hamilton_Jar wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Whenever the safety car starts the race everyone has to run wet tyres. So definitely Suzuka 2014. I'm struggling to think of a wet 2015 race.
My mistake - I thought they started on inters.

Sevenfest

Post by Sevenfest »

LKS1 wrote:
Sevenfest wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
What was said?

"Have I been?"

Depp is known as an OTT type guy (for good or bad) and Lewis is known as a prima donna - so of course Depp is going to 'push his buttons'.
And it's completely his prerogative to do so. Doesn't mean I won't call him out for being a tw*t for it. C4 don't seem to feel the need to get clickbait dramatic reactions to get viewers and it's a shame that Sky has chosen this format more and more in the past few years rather than be the dedicated, interesting F1 channel it's supposed to be.

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

So was I wrong in thinking races (for many years...) have only been started/re-started when inters (rather than wets)were required?

Sevenfest

Post by Sevenfest »

LKS1 wrote:So was I wrong in thinking races (for many years...) have only been started/re-started when inters (rather than wets)were required?
I thought there'd been a mix - pretty sure I've seen some of the Asia races restart on inters because although the downpour was severe the heat cleared the track quickly.

I could also be wrong though.

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

Sevenfest wrote:
LKS1 wrote:So was I wrong in thinking races (for many years...) have only been started/re-started when inters (rather than wets)were required?
I thought there'd been a mix - pretty sure I've seen some of the Asia races restart on inters because although the downpour was severe the heat cleared the track quickly.

I could also be wrong though.
I'm looking for starts or re-starts on wets.

Anybody?? Or is it really that long in the past?