Ricciardo Vs Verstappen - Who will come out on top?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules

Who will come out on top?

Daniel Ricciardo
67%
Max Verstappen
33%

Total votes: 103

froze

Ricciardo Vs Verstappen - Who will come out on top?

Post by froze »

Ok, today's race result basically calls for this. :lol:
With Daniel ahead only by 10 points after 5 rounds and Max demonstrating incredible ability on his RBR debut, the game is definitely on. Who do you think will eventually come out on top, after 2016 season?
“I'm happy, but there's nothing to jump around about.”

flyboy10

Re: Ricciardo Vs Verstappen - Who will come out on top?

Post by flyboy10 »

Verstappen is the golden boy so Herr Marko will do everything in his power to help Max to beat Dan :(

chetan_rao

Post by chetan_rao »

While Max's victory is well-deserved, Dan wasn't exactly beaten entirely on merit. Was faster on-track, then moved to a strategy that ultimately turned out slower in the end.

Max is definitely one for the future, but Dan is no mug.

Too early to judge based on one race with multiple extenuating circumstances.
Last edited by chetan_rao on Sun May 15, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mds

Post by mds »

flyboy10 wrote:Verstappen is the golden boy so Herr Marko will do everything in his power to help Max to beat Dan :(
Herr Marko had more to do with Ricciardo's junior career than with Verstappens.

Anyway, I think Ricciardo will be on top this year, although Verstappens race pace was up there with Ricciardo's and that bodes pretty well.

Next year, I have no idea.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

mds

Post by mds »

chetan_rao wrote:While Max's victory is well-deserved, Dan wasn't exactly beaten on merit. Was faster on-track, then moved to a strategy that ultimately turned out slower in the end.
How was Ricciardo faster on track? Max was glued on his behind and in the second stint closed up a gap of four seconds to under one second.

Max was every bit as fast as Ricciardo on same tires.

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

Still think Dan will will come out on top in the battle this year but as of next year game on, Max is legit WDC material. I think it will be very very close between them.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

rivf1

Post by rivf1 »

Shouldn't be long before they are swapping parts from Dan's car to help max when needed, not like they ever done that before.

chetan_rao

Post by chetan_rao »

mds wrote:
chetan_rao wrote:While Max's victory is well-deserved, Dan wasn't exactly beaten on merit. Was faster on-track, then moved to a strategy that ultimately turned out slower in the end.
How was Ricciardo faster on track? Max was glued on his behind and in the second stint closed up a gap of four seconds to under one second.

The race isn't about ONE stint, is it? Plus closing a gap means nothing if one can't pass, look at Kimi Vs. Max. Passing another identical car is far from a given even if one's faster in a particular set of circumstances.

Like I said, taking nothing away from Max (took his chance when it showed up), but Dan would've done much better with a two-stopper himself. Red Bull thought otherwise for reasons best known to them, but Dan lost out on a chance to win because of it.
Last edited by chetan_rao on Sun May 15, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warheart01

Post by Warheart01 »

Today isn't that good of an indicator. It was Ricciardos race to win had RBR given him the better strategy (which they probably thought they did).
Verstappen was very impressive this weekend though and proved that he is the real deal, especially as it was the first race with the team.
I still want to believe that Ricciardo is that one bit better but this fight will be close.

mds

Post by mds »

chetan_rao wrote:
mds wrote:

The race isn't about ONE stint, was it? Plus closing a gap means nothing if one can't pass, look at Kimi Vs. Max. Passing another identical car is far from a given even if one's faster in a particular set of circumstances.
I'm comparing them for speed in the first two stints because those were the only stints they were on equal tires.

As for passing: Verstappen actually passed Vettel, unlike Ricciardo.

Mr-E

Post by Mr-E »

In the long run, don't know. As of now Ricciardo is a better and more mature driver. But who knows.. With the help of dad which seems to have almost controll of RBR and dr Marko anything can happen.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Too early to draw a conclusion.
We need some more races to see if Max is really the real deal or today was a bit of a fluke.

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

Ricciardo for sure. He must be disappointed with today's result. He should have won or at the worst podium. It is very unlikely that both Mercedes will have DNF again
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

rivf1

Post by rivf1 »

mds wrote:
What? I don't remember seeing that

jrwb6e

Post by jrwb6e »

rivf1 wrote:
mds wrote:
He's talking at the start when all the cars were bunched. The weak argument says it all.

mds

Post by mds »

rivf1 wrote:
mds wrote:
Look at the first lap again. Vettel moved in front after the start but Verstappen repassed on the outside of T3.

mds

Post by mds »

jrwb6e wrote:
rivf1 wrote:
mds wrote:
He's talking at the start when all the cars were bunched. The weak argument says it all.
What's weak about it? He passed in a clean and good manoeuvre.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

rivf1 wrote:Shouldn't be long before they are swapping parts from Dan's car to help max when needed, not like they ever done that before.
oh dear

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

I think they will be close in terms of speed. If luck keeps siding with Verstappen and if Ricciardo continue his string of bad luck, then Verstappen will come out on top.

rivf1

Post by rivf1 »

Zoue wrote:
rivf1 wrote:Shouldn't be long before they are swapping parts from Dan's car to help max when needed, not like they ever done that before.
oh dear
What is oh dear about it? Do you deny they ever did that?

jrwb6e

Post by jrwb6e »

mds wrote:What's weak about it? He passed in a clean and good manoeuvre.
Comparing apples and oranges is weak. Ricciardo was in Vettel's dirty air and Vettel had clean air. The passing maneuver was at the start with dirty air all around.

moby

Post by moby »

Before today I would have put money on it being Ric. However, I went for Max, because he has done the opposite of everything else I expected :]

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

rivf1 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
oh dear
What is oh dear about it? Do you deny they ever did that?
My standard response to conspiracy theories

mds

Post by mds »

jrwb6e wrote:
mds wrote:What's weak about it? He passed in a clean and good manoeuvre.
Comparing apples and oranges is weak. Ricciardo was in Vettel's dirty air and Vettel had clean air. The passing maneuver was at the start with dirty air all around.
They were in single file already by the time Verstappen passed.
Other than that, he did pass, so I don't know why you are trying to take that away from Verstappen. Fact is and remains that he was every bit as fast as Ricciardo for the time we could compare them.

Lots of sour grapes today. A shame.

slide

Post by slide »

well max had a big smile at the end and Riccardo was not quite his happy self , and I think the race worried him ever so slightly for the future

the swop we saw has been so successful that its easy to see it will be happening a lot more , and the future of F1 drivers will be less secure in the future after this , and expect to see fewer "middle of the grid and back of the grid" drivers make full seasons

its now the days of have a bad race and you could be out

Atomicunderware

Post by Atomicunderware »

slide wrote:well max had a big smile at the end and Riccardo was not quite his happy self , and I think the race worried him ever so slightly for the future

the swop we saw has been so successful that its easy to see it will be happening a lot more , and the future of F1 drivers will be less secure in the future after this , and expect to see fewer "middle of the grid and back of the grid" drivers make full seasons

The funny thing is though, it could just as easily have been Kvyat winning today had the swap not happened, but pundits and fans wont look at it like that. Max qualified 4 tenths down on Ric, and was very lucky to be on the same row as his team-mate - often such a gap will see you further back. Kvyat is capable of a similar quali performance, and all things being equal could have been in Max's position today...but that's sport, right place, right time, and you're the next big thing. Can't help but feel for Ric also, no matter what he does this year it's not quite working out for him, despite putting in generally excellent performances.

AravJ

Post by AravJ »

I think it's very close but Max will take it. They are both good overtakers. I think Dan will be the better qualifier. Max seems faster marginally in the race. Max seems to have alot more confidence. Coming from inferior STR chasis will also give him more confidence in finding limits.
I think Dan also had that advantage when he joined RBR.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Atomicunderware wrote:
slide wrote:well max had a big smile at the end and Riccardo was not quite his happy self , and I think the race worried him ever so slightly for the future

The funny thing is though, it could just as easily have been Kvyat winning today had the swap not happened, but pundits and fans wont look at it like that. Max qualified 4 tenths down on Ric, and was very lucky to be on the same row as his team-mate - often such a gap will see you further back. Kvyat is capable of a similar quali performance, and all things being equal could have been in Max's position today...but that's sport, right place, right time, and you're the next big thing. Can't help but feel for Ric also, no matter what he does this year it's not quite working out for him, despite putting in generally excellent performances.
Very true.

StanB123

Post by StanB123 »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Atomicunderware wrote:

Very true.
Or maybe not. You cannot tell how Kvyat would have done, you can only guess because you don't have all the variables. For example: perhaps the reason they switched the drivers was because Kvyat could not get used to the characteristics of the car. Such problems could have made it very difficult to fight of Kimi Raikkonen.

It's all guessing, Max won, and probably drove a better first stint than Ricciardo like mds pointed out earlier. Even the reasons for that good stint are uncertain. Let's not make too big of a deal out of it.

Anyway: I myself voted for Ricciardo. I have high expectations of him. For this year at least.
Last edited by StanB123 on Sun May 15, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WHoff78

Post by WHoff78 »

Warheart01 wrote:Today isn't that good of an indicator. It was Ricciardos race to win had RBR given him the better strategy (which they probably thought they did).
Verstappen was very impressive this weekend though and proved that he is the real deal, especially as it was the first race with the team.
I still want to believe that Ricciardo is that one bit better but this fight will be close.
I think today is a pretty good indicator, although the result not so much agreed. Ricciardo is clearly very quick, so seems very impressive just how much Max has pushed him before strategy took over. I can see DR edging the next third of the season, with Verstappen slightly stronger of the two towards the end. This one could be a good fight though. Verstappen to edge it for me but in reality to close to call at this stage.

pendulumeffect

Post by pendulumeffect »

It was completely Rosberg's fault. In a rear collision it's the overtaking driver's fault but as it was a SIDE collision caused by Rosberg closing the door.

Lewis initiated his move first and then Rosberg reacts to close the door but ends up causing a side collision. You aren't allowed to do that.

Lewis was not being too aggressive. Rosberg was being too slow. He would have passed well before the corner had Rosberg left enough space.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

I think that Ricciardo was just unsure about the strategy which saw him lose the race.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 96 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 166 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Atomicunderware wrote:

Kvyat would have been a lot slower in the race
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 96 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 166 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

infi24r

Post by infi24r »

Ricciardo had the race won and they put him on the wrong strategy. Its still a bit unclear their motives behind doing this.

WHoff78

Post by WHoff78 »

infi24r wrote:Ricciardo had the race won and they put him on the wrong strategy. Its still a bit unclear their motives behind doing this.
Did they though, or was it just a combination of the three stop not working quite as well as planned, plus being compromised by Vettel making his 3rd stop so early for the undercut. I imagine DR would have had a much better shot at overtaking the two stoppers, than Vettel on an offset 3 stop.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

There was only one single lap this weekend that Ricciardo without a question seemed faster (the one in Q3), so based on the remaining laps and considering the extraordinary circumstances I'm leaning towards Verstappen, especially if we only take into consideration the races they've actually been teammates.

infi24r

Post by infi24r »

Ricciardo had track position and would have gotten the undercut with each pit stop. No way was Verstappen getting by.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

infi24r wrote:Ricciardo had track position and would have gotten the undercut with each pit stop. No way was Verstappen getting by.
Wrong thread?

rivf1

Post by rivf1 »

infi24r wrote:Ricciardo had track position and would have gotten the undercut with each pit stop. No way was Verstappen getting by.
Exactly right, there really was nothing between the top 4, dan couldn't over take vettell and raikkonen couldn't get past max. It's done and dusted now, marko has his new favourite and dan is number two from now on, so he can either deal with that or get a ride elsewhere.

Pullrod

Post by Pullrod »

Today race has confirmed what I have always thought about the F1 grid. There is definetely a weaker side of the grid and many drivers(I will not name them but I am sure a thread will be made about it in the next months) have set records or reached unbelievable hype thanks to that.
The stronger side is made of few drivers and not all of those are the favorite of my fellow forumers.

Regarding this battle, it is a good thing Verstappen has won today so no more "he is only 18" or "he doesn't know the car" excuse will be used in the future. Now it is in Ricciardo's hands if he thinks he can teach him a lesson. I want to believe Ricciardo will have the edge, but at the end of the day engineers can decide who wins or who loses.

I am not sure about Sainz(who has even more raw speed although poor tyre management) contract or ties with RedBull but if I was Ferrari I would have a talk with his manager.
Last edited by Pullrod on Mon May 16, 2016 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.