No votes
Gutierrez
No votes

Total votes: 75

Black_Flag_11

DOTW Spain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weekend

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Driver of the weekend - Spain

Cast your vote for the Spanish Grand Prix.

Standings after Russia

Code: Select all

1  |  Grosjean   | 10  |
2  |  Rosberg    |  7  |
3  |  Ricciardo  |  6  |
4  |  Alonso     |  5  |
5  |  Vettel     |  4  |
6  |  Vandoorne  |  3  |
7  |  Hamilton   |  1  |
Rules & Format
- Voting is based on driver performance (not who has the prettiest girlfriend/best haircut)
- Voting is based on performance of the whole race weekend, so qualifying counts towards your assessment.
- You only get one vote
- The poll will start on either on the day of the GP (or Monday if I am unable to for some reason)
- The poll will run until Friday so that it will always end before the next GP
- The top three voted for drivers will earn points towards a championship table as follows:
- 1st: 5 points
- 2nd: 3 points
- 3rd: 1 point
- Ties will be decided by finishing position

Zoue

Re: DOTW Spain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weekend

Post by Zoue »

I'd have to give this to Max. He came into a new team unfamiliar with the car and was immediately on the pace. Yes his team mate out paced him on Saturday but it was still a very good performance and on Sunday Ricciardo never really got away from him. He then kept his cool and didn't put a wheel wrong while leading his first race with the team and with Kimi piling on the pressure. Couldn't really have asked for a better debut. And all this while still at school age! Great performance

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Who voted for hamilton?

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

nixxxon wrote:Who voted for hamilton?
Toto Wolf, perhaps.
The end is near

froze

Post by froze »

A very hard poll.
“I'm happy, but there's nothing to jump around about.”

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

Has to be Max.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Ricciardo- impressive qualifying, on the way to win, just robbed by (in hindsight) wrong strategy (and tyre failure).

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Max, no contest there.

Honorable mention to:
Rosberg, for passing Hamilton fair and square.
Massa for coming from 18th to 8th.
Sainz for excellent race and 6th place.
Ricciardo for excellent quali and race spoiled by tyre blow out.
The end is near

Amon

Post by Amon »

Seriously which idiot voted Lewis?
F1 fan since 1989

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Is it unfair to assume we have 7 Australians on the forum?

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Covalent wrote:Is it unfair to assume we have 7 Australians on the forum?
Well, I am not Australian and I voted for Ricciardo. I cheered for the sensation of Verstappen's debut win. However, Ricciardo was significantly quicker in qualifying and there is no way that Verstappen would have beaten him in the race if not for the RBR strategy call (and the tyre failure).
So, in total, Ricciardo was the better driver this weekend.

Ruste13

Post by Ruste13 »

Im an Aussie but voted for Max...to stay that cool lap after lap as an 18 year old is pretty impressive.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Well, I am not Australian and I voted for Ricciardo. I cheered for the sensation of Verstappen's debut win. However, Ricciardo was significantly quicker in qualifying and there is no way that Verstappen would have beaten him in the race if not for the RBR strategy call (and the tyre failure).
How is there no way? To me it seemed Max was actually faster even on the same strategy. But assuming you are right, I think picking Max is as clear a cut as it gets, winning a race in his debut after a midseason switch, breaking all sorts of records in the process, and just imagine what kind of pressure he was under. I just can´t imagine anyone not voting for him unless they have some kind of agenda.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Ruste13 wrote:Im an Aussie but voted for Max...to stay that cool lap after lap as an 18 year old is pretty impressive.
Fair enough :)

Placid

Post by Placid »

Max 100% by a landslide.

This will be an un-breakable record for winning a major race. His age of 18 years and 227 days will be there to stay.

Graham Rahal was 19 years 36 days when he won a major race in 2008.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Covalent wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
How is there no way? To me it seemed Max was actually faster even on the same strategy. But assuming you are right, I think picking Max is as clear a cut as it gets, winning a race in his debut after a midseason switch, breaking all sorts of records in the process, and just imagine what kind of pressure he was under. I just can´t imagine anyone not voting for him unless they have some kind of agenda.
Well, that is a rather limited imagination then. ;)

But seriously, he will win many more races and most probably some champioships as well. But overtaking today was close to impossible and there was no way he would have get past Ricciardo if not for RBRs strategy split. And this is weekend thread, counting in qualifying as well.

j man

Post by j man »

An easy vote for Verstappen. And not just for taking the win, he was on it all weekend and looked to have Ricciardo on the ropes during qualifying until the last lap of Q3.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Placid wrote:Max 100% by a landslide.

This will be an un-breakable record for winning a major race. His age of 18 years and 227 days will be there to stay.

I dont think you can compare Indycars to F1.
Max has broken the record by a massive 2.5 years of difference. He is about 18 years old and half and the previous record holder (Vettel) was 21 years and some days old...

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

Amon wrote:Seriously which idiot voted Lewis?
Free speech. People should have the right to express their opinions without being personally attacked.
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

2 votes for Hamilton?

Driver of the race someone who got passed from the outside and never completed half a lap?

Come on people...

Max for me, he hardly made a mistake with Kimi up his exhaust pipe, very cool drive for his age. He's got ice in his veins it seems, the new Iceman

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Free speech. People should have the right to express their opinions without being personally attacked.
Normally I'd agree with you. But it is a shame when people try and sabotage a poll with obviously joke results.

infi24r

Post by infi24r »

Ricciardo imo. He out qualified his team mate, got a great start and controlled the race until Red Bull put him on the complete wrong strategy.

That was his win to take. The fact the strategy was wrong doesn't take anything away from how he executed the weekend.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Zoue wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Normally I'd agree with you. But it is a shame when people try and sabotage a poll with obviously joke results.
Lol, realistically he couldn't have had a worse race. 1) lose a place in the first corner to your team mate. 2) crash out and collect your team mate going into 3rd corner.
If we had a "Worst race performance of the year" poll, he would probably win with this one.

guardiangr

Post by guardiangr »

Siao7 wrote:2 votes for Hamilton?

Driver of the race someone who got passed from the outside and never completed half a lap?

Come on people...

Max for me, he hardly made a mistake with Kimi up his exhaust pipe, very cool drive for his age. He's got ice in his veins it seems, the new Iceman
It should be Hamilton since thanks to him you all watched an amazing race :D :D :D

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

guardiangr wrote:
Siao7 wrote:2 votes for Hamilton?

Come on people...

It should be Hamilton since thanks to him you all watched an amazing race :D :D :D
You got a point there!

mds

Post by mds »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:But overtaking today was close to impossible and there was no way he would have get past Ricciardo if not for RBRs strategy split.
Plot twist: what if Ricciardo was harder on his tyres and couldn't have made it work? :)

Anyway, I voted Verstappen. Second day in the car, puts it on the second row. There was a time deficit to his team mate, but how could we expect else? Third day in the car, makes a crucial repass in T4 after getting passed in T1, effortlessly keeps up with his team mate, closes an almost 5s gap after pitting a lap later, then withstands huge pressure from a faster car. 18 years old, didn't make a single mistake in all of that.

I would have considered Ricciardo if not for being a bit messy a few times in trying to overtake Vettel. And I do realize how hard it is to overtake.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

Randine

Post by Randine »

Covalent wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Ric was running a controlled race. We will never know how much performance he had on tap as he was called in before his tyres went off, short shifting his medium stint.

The fastest 3 stop was using: soft > soft > soft > medium.
The strategy which was almost as fast was a 2 stop: soft > medium > medium
If Ric was given the 3 stop strategy from the start he could have pushed hard and built the gaps he needed.
Instead he was put onto a 2 stop race strategy after the first stop, which was changed to a 3 stop in a hurry which completely compromised his race.

So to say 'it seemed Max looked faster' is just an observation not actually factually true.
Dan the man!

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Randine wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Ric was running a controlled race. We will never know how much performance he had on tap as he was called in before his tyres went off, short shifting his medium stint.

If Ric was given the 3 stop strategy from the start he could have pushed hard and built the gaps he needed.
Instead he was put onto a 2 stop race strategy after the first stop, which was changed to a 3 stop in a hurry which completely compromised his race.

So to say 'it seemed Max looked faster' is just an observation not actually factually true.
It is factually true if you look at their laptimes when they were on the same strategy.

Randine

Post by Randine »

Covalent wrote:
Randine wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

It is factually true if you look at their laptimes when they were on the same strategy.
But 1 driver was in front of the other with the lead driver knowing that it was next to impossible to overtake. So if they are running with a 1 second gap, then they are lapping at the same time are they not?
Dan the man!

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

This thread should have 2 options. Over the entire weekend, Lewis was sensational. That final qualy lap was out of this world superb. I knew he had the speed but thought he'd barely squeak it out over Rosberg and then BAM!!!

He laid down the Law! IMPO he's just as good, if not a better qualifier than his hero. He's consistently pulled out more last laps like this than anyone I can remember, and he's even done so in not the best car to leave even the fastest guy in the fastest car wondering how he pulled off such laps.

Max was excellent but his win, as superb as it was, was only so great because Mercedes took themselves out and it opened the door for a RBR Ferrari duel and with the mixture of elements at Catalunya, it afforded an almost dead even playing field for both teams. Fast sweepers and long straights for Ferrari to have the advantage, yet tight technical twisty stuff where the Red Bull excels. It made for an excellent battle.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

For me it was a tie between Räikkönen and Verstappen, but Max gets it as I was mightily impressed by how well he got on with his new car.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

F1 MERCENARY wrote:This thread should have 2 options. Over the entire weekend, Lewis was sensational. That final qualy lap was out of this world superb. I knew he had the speed but thought he'd barely squeak it out over Rosberg and then BAM!!!

He laid down the Law! IMPO he's just as good, if not a better qualifier than his hero. He's consistently pulled out more last laps like this than anyone I can remember, and he's even done so in not the best car to leave even the fastest guy in the fastest car wondering how he pulled off such laps.

Max was excellent but his win, as superb as it was, was only so great because Mercedes took themselves out and it opened the door for a RBR Ferrari duel and with the mixture of elements at Catalunya, it afforded an almost dead even playing field for both teams. Fast sweepers and long straights for Ferrari to have the advantage, yet tight technical twisty stuff where the Red Bull excels. It made for an excellent battle.
I like that you only get 1 choice in this poll, for example having 3 dilutes the other one and leaves it open to people voting daft choices to be "funny". There's a reason that doesn't really happen with this one, people don't like wasting their one and only vote so will generally take it more seriously.

Q was great for Lewis but the race was a disaster with getting mugged at the start and then the incident. Ricciardo was great in both so I can see why he is in contention with Max but I can't really see how Lewis can this time to be honest, I felt Ricciardo's Q3 lap was even better than Hamiltons but I might be in the minority on that one.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

paulsf1fix

Post by paulsf1fix »

Who won the Offical DOTD? on the F1 website.

I would vote for Verstappen, Sainz, Massa and Button (for passing Gutiérrez towards the end)

Sadly I didn't really think either Ferrari driver deserved DOTD. Unless Kimi had passed Max on the last lap.

Placid

Post by Placid »

nixxxon wrote:
Placid wrote:Max 100% by a landslide.

I dont think you can compare Indycars to F1.
Max has broken the record by a massive 2.5 years of difference. He is about 18 years old and half and the previous record holder (Vettel) was 21 years and some days old...
We are just talking about the drivers in general. Max became the 4th driver under the age of 20 in the last 10 years to win a major racing series event. F1, Indy Car, NASCAR, ELMS, WEC, DTM, WTCC, V8 Supercars Australia among others are major racing series.

Just thought there were 3, there are 4.

Max Verstappen - Spanish GP 2016 (Formula 1) - 18 years and 227 days.
Graham Rahal - St. Petersburg GP 2008 (Indy Car) - 19 years and 36 days.
Marco Andretti - GP of Sonoma 2006 (Indy Car) - 19 years 167 days
Pascal Wehrlein - Lausitz 2014 (DTM) - 19 years 331 days.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

paulsf1fix wrote:Who won the Offical DOTD? on the F1 website.

I would vote for Verstappen, Sainz, Massa and Button (for passing Gutiérrez towards the end)

Sadly I didn't really think either Ferrari driver deserved DOTD. Unless Kimi had passed Max on the last lap.
So far:

Australia - Grosjean
Bahrain - Grosjean
China - Kvyat
Russia - Magnussen
Spain - Verstappen

I'm pleasantly surprised it hasn't been a "who's your favourite driver" poll between Hamilton, Vettel & co. There was talk that apparently Haryanto won the first rounds vote but it was discounted because it was obviously people voting for him based on him nationality, not sure if that was ever confirmed as being true though.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

infi24r wrote:Ricciardo imo. He out qualified his team mate, got a great start and controlled the race until Red Bull put him on the complete wrong strategy.

That was his win to take. The fact the strategy was wrong doesn't take anything away from how he executed the weekend.
At the end, statistics matter.

People will remember 2016 Spanish Grand Prix for having the youngest ever winner & not how Ricciardo executed the weekend & how he lost out due to the 3 stop strategy.
Feel The Fourth

tylerzaath

Post by tylerzaath »

UnlikeUday wrote:
infi24r wrote:Ricciardo imo. He out qualified his team mate, got a great start and controlled the race until Red Bull put him on the complete wrong strategy.

At the end, statistics matter.

People will remember 2016 Spanish Grand Prix for having the youngest ever winner & not how Ricciardo executed the weekend & how he lost out due to the 3 stop strategy.
totally agree but the question was 'Who was your driver of the weekend', not 'how do you think the 2016 GP will be remembered in time and do you think statistics matter'