Official 2016 Spanish Grand Prix Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
mikeyg123

Re: Official 2016 Spanish Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by mikeyg123 »

Sainz pushed Kimi off the track.

I completely disagree with Lauda as well. Lewis was alongside so Nico had to leave a cars width.

Sevenfest

Post by Sevenfest »

Sometimes I really hate DRS

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Hamilton_Jar wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:Looks like Nico may share blame here
Rosberg should take most of the blame. What happened to leaving a cars width?
That's only when you're making a second move after initially blocking on the other side. You don't have to let cars overtake you in F1
Your meant to leave a cars width whatever, 1st, 2nd or 12th move.
Only when car is alongside, not behind. Still not necessary Lewis fault, but driver doesn't need to leave space every time other driver is trying to overtake.
eeee

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

fieldstvl wrote:
stitch512 wrote:There is something extremely satisfying seeing Hamilton being left out to dry off the track. Taste of his own medicine. Disappointing though that it now has left boths mercs out of the race.
Has Lewis ever driven another car off the track on a straight?
Is running a car off the track in order to gain or hold position ever acceptable?
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Ennis

Post by Ennis »

mikeyg123 wrote:Sainz pushed Kimi off the track.

I completely disagree with Lauda as well. Lewis was alongside so Nico had to leave a cars width.

... Sainz followed the natural line through a corner.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Tufty wrote:I don't see how anyone but Hamilton can be blamed for that. He pulled to the inside, Rosberg covered him. Lewis should have gone back to the outside like Nico did in T1, nail him round the outside. Instead he kept pulling to the inside, put himself on the grass and gave himself no chance to brake for T4. It was inevitable and Rosberg did nothing wrong. Unless those saying otherwise think Hamilton was wrong in Bahrain 2014 with his defence.
No way Hamilton could do that when he already had a wheel alongside. The moment that happens. Rosberg has to leave space. Says so in the regulations.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

At best, he had a wing alongside the rear tyre of Lewis

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

When was the last time no Petronas Mercedes AMG completed the first lap of a race?

Badgeronimous

Post by Badgeronimous »

Rosberg was a bit aggressive in closing the door.

I agree with Lauda though. Hamilton was too aggressive and tried an ambitious overtake in a place that maybe wouldn't be expected and a gap that was only ever going to close.

70/30 Hamilton blame.
Last edited by Badgeronimous on Sun May 15, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Tufty wrote:I don't see how anyone but Hamilton can be blamed for that. He pulled to the inside, Rosberg covered him. Lewis should have gone back to the outside like Nico did in T1, nail him round the outside. Instead he kept pulling to the inside, put himself on the grass and gave himself no chance to brake for T4. It was inevitable and Rosberg did nothing wrong. Unless those saying otherwise think Hamilton was wrong in Bahrain 2014 with his defence.
No way Hamilton could do that when he already had a wheel alongside. The moment that happens. Rosberg has to leave space. Says so in the regulations.
I believe rules says "significantly alongside". I'm not going to check now exact wording, but I'm pretty sure there is something like that written there.
eeee

fieldstvl

Post by fieldstvl »

Asphalt_World wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:
stitch512 wrote:There is something extremely satisfying seeing Hamilton being left out to dry off the track. Taste of his own medicine. Disappointing though that it now has left boths mercs out of the race.
Is running a car off the track in order to gain or hold position ever acceptable?
I think probably it is. If it's on a corner and the car in front is taking the line then probably. A bit like what just happened with Sainz and Kimi.

twigg2324

Post by twigg2324 »

dizlexik wrote:
Hamilton_Jar wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:Looks like Nico may share blame here
Rosberg should take most of the blame. What happened to leaving a cars width?
That's only when you're making a second move after initially blocking on the other side. You don't have to let cars overtake you in F1
Your meant to leave a cars width whatever, 1st, 2nd or 12th move.
Only when car is alongside, not behind. Still not necessary Lewis fault, but driver doesn't need to leave space every time other driver is trying to overtake.
Well he was alongside, or Rosberg wouldn't have hit him!

TheDazster

Post by TheDazster »

Yes, Nico pulled across off the racing line quite aggressively.

Having said that, the move from Hamilton looked optimistic in "real time" as I was watching it.

Still, drama!

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

fieldstvl wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:
I think probably it is. If it's on a corner and the car in front is taking the line then probably. A bit like what just happened with Sainz and Kimi.
Which I don't agree with. If you are fully alongside, you have track position. A front wing end plate next to a rear tyre is somewhat different and very difficult for the driver in front to judge at 15mph heading in to a braking area.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

He was about as alongside as Canada 2011. And that was no problem for Button, why should this be any different?
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

j man

Post by j man »

But Rosberg was trying to cover Hamilton after he was already alongside and committed to the move. He should have made the defensive move much earlier. A defensive move like that is supposed to deter the driver behind from making a passing attempt, not physically block a move that is already happening.

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

mikeyg123 wrote:
He was already on the grass by the time the wheel was alongside Nico, from what I saw. I'm happy to alter that perception if someone has a replay or screenshot though. From what I saw, Lewis should have bailed and taken the racing line - Nico already made that work, so Lewis surely could too?
Organiser of the single most low-tech Robot Wars tournament in history, PM for details!

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Asphalt_World wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:
Bahrain 2014 seemed to be fine for everyone
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Asphalt_World wrote:

That's all he needs. To be entitled to space.

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

The only confirmation we've ever had from the FIA is that a wing isn't sufficient, otherwise the Spa Mercedes call for example would have gone the other way.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

20.4 Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without justifiable reason.
eeee

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

And at 150mph or so heading in to a hreavy braking zone, with those tiny mirrors do you really think any driver can judge that?

fieldstvl

Post by fieldstvl »

Asphalt_World wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:
Which I don't agree with. If you are fully alongside, you have track position. A front wing end plate next to a rear tyre is somewhat different and very difficult for the driver in front to judge at 15mph heading in to a braking area.
I can't comment on how difficult it is for F1 drivers to judge gaps or whatever as I'm not a racing driver, but fair enough 8)

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

P-F1 Mod wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

The only confirmation we've ever had from the FIA is that a wing isn't sufficient, otherwise the Spa Mercedes call for example would have gone the other way.
I think you'll be banging your head against a wall in the very near future over this :lol:

Amon

Post by Amon »

I hope both RBR's on the podium, would be nice for Max in his first race for the team.
F1 fan since 1989

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

Are some people on here suggesting that you only have to put your nose inside the rear wheel of a car in front and you've won the corner? Good luck with that if you're trying to overtake.

Gumption

Post by Gumption »

mcdo wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:
Bahrain 2014 seemed to be fine for everyone
Completey agree. In Bahrain the cars were side-by-side and Hamilton literally drove Rosberg off the road on the slight chink after turn 2. Double standards by some fans I say.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

fieldstvl wrote:
Kobayashi at Spa 2011, and I think a few more, probably in 2011.

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

Asphalt_World wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

I think you'll be banging your head against a wall in the very near future over this :lol:
Future?!

stevey

Post by stevey »

Nico did move twice. He moved into the middle from the racing line and then moved to the edge when Lewis threw it down the inside.

Can't wait for this, puts some real fire in the season

Jayman

Post by Jayman »

LOL at these English commentators falling all over themselves trying to defend Hamilton. What a shocker!

fieldstvl

Post by fieldstvl »

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:
Kobayashi at Spa 2011, and I think a few more, probably in 2011.
I would gently suggest that Spa 2011 is not the same. That was Hamilton having brain fade thinking he'd got the overtake done before he had, rather than a defensive move. What were the others?

sparky

Post by sparky »

On a slightly different note, impressed that Button has been keeping ahead of Alonso.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Ferrari seems to be very quick.
eeee

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

I think the real reason why Rosberg has a chance to be champion this year is the fact that he is not backing down in on-track battles. That's what lost him the championship in 2014, when he was quicker in one-lap speed. Kudos to Rosberg, every chance he's got, HE has looked like the real racer this year. Overtaking Hamilton at the start, every time with great moves, squeezing him fairly but hard, and now defending fairly, but hard.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Jayman wrote:LOL at these English commentators falling all over themselves trying to defend Hamilton. What a shocker!
Hasn't it already been acknowledged that Crofty backs Rosberg?

Amon

Post by Amon »

Retirement for Hulk
F1 fan since 1989

Sevenfest

Post by Sevenfest »

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:I think the real reason why Rosberg has a chance to be champion this year is the fact that he is not backing down in on-track battles. That's what lost him the championship in 2014, when he was quicker in one-lap speed. Kudos to Rosberg, every chance he's got, HE has looked like the real racer this year. Overtaking Hamilton at the start, every time with great moves, squeezing him fairly but hard, and now defending fairly, but hard.
Agreed, his pass into turn one was great! Disappointing that we've been robbed of the battle

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

sparky wrote:On a slightly different note, impressed that Button has been keeping ahead of Alonso.
It's a good bounce back from a poor weekend so far
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

Jayman wrote:LOL at these English commentators falling all over themselves trying to defend Hamilton. What a shocker!
English person here thinking Hamilton put himself on the grass because he didn't wan to back out. He probably knew that if he didn't get back past on lap one, the race was Rosberg's. I'm not suggesting he deliberately crashed into Rosberg, just that he decided he wasn't backing down. Possibly had a Senna, "...if you see a gap and you don't go for it..." moment.