Official 2016 Russian Grand Prix Race Thread!

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Lojik

Re: Official 2016 Russian Grand Prix Race Thread!

Post by Lojik »

wow there has to be some kind of repercussion for Kvyat's awful driving!

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

flyboy10 wrote:Are drivers allowed to make up places by overtaking while going around the polystyrene marker board?
I guess it's not a problem so long as you let everyone you overtook back through as Hamilton did.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Amon wrote:omg Kvyat should be black flagged, he hit Seb twice!!!

Just saw it on replay.
Indeed. I wasn't angry at him last race, but this time seriously.... x(
eeee

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:Are drivers allowed to make up places by overtaking while going around the polystyrene marker board?
I guess it's not a problem so long as you let everyone you overtook back through as Hamilton did.
Did that actually happen?

OutKast

Post by OutKast »

Wow.
Felipe Massa fan/supporter since 2002 and counting!

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

I think Kvyat punctured Vettel by hitting him twice, then Vettel could be seen weaving due to the puncture, and of course he had to life the throttle, and Kvyat rammed into him again. Penalties for Kvyat for the first two hits. If Ricciardo's car wasn't there, Vettel would've spun 180 degrees.

Mr-E

Post by Mr-E »

Wow! 8O It seems he tried hard to finish off Vettel. Not once but twice!! Stupid boy.

steoc4

Post by steoc4 »

Pretty disgraceful driving from Kvyat there, stop go penalty doesn't seem sufficient.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

flyboy10 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Yeah if you watch Hamilton went off track ahead of the STR and ended up ahead of the STR. He gained positions but imedietly pulled to the left to allow people back through. Quite honestly I hope other drivers follow his lead.

Amon

Post by Amon »

But looking at the second time Kvyat hit Seb it seemed he had no intention to slow down like he just wanted to ram him of the track...
F1 fan since 1989

OutKast

Post by OutKast »

Mr-E wrote:Wow! 8O It seems he tried hard to finish off Vettel. Not once but twice!! Stupid boy.
Lol.

It happens, but that second hit was a bit too much. To call him Maldonado is overly premature.
Last edited by OutKast on Sun May 01, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felipe Massa fan/supporter since 2002 and counting!

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

steoc4

Post by steoc4 »

flyboy10 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
No it didn't

Amon

Post by Amon »

steoc4 wrote:Pretty disgraceful driving from Kvyat there, stop go penalty doesn't seem sufficient.
Yup black flag or a race ban I would say.
F1 fan since 1989

DirtyMike

Post by DirtyMike »

Williams have to be pro active on their strategy here ! They always manage to get it wrong but if they can pit first and neutralise the undercut they may have a chance of keeping 2nd!
1996 and Onwards
Ricciardo .:. Massa .:. LeClerc .:. Sainz

Quark

Post by Quark »

Kvyat needs to be banned from racing. The second hit looked almost intentional.

steoc4

Post by steoc4 »

DirtyMike wrote:Williams have to be pro active on their strategy here ! They always manage to get it wrong but if they can pit first and neutralise the undercut they may have a chance of keeping 2nd!

With the time it takes to warm the tyres at Sochi the undercut isn't expected to work. A Mercedes 1-2 is pretty much inevitable at this point, but Bottas has a good chance of beating Kimi to the podium.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

steoc4 wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
No it didn't
I suggest to watch again.

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

Amon wrote:But looking at the second time Kvyat hit Seb it seemed he had no intention to slow down like he just wanted to ram him of the track...
I'd like to see the telemetry. ("Would you now?" say the FIA).

Drivers can be caught out badly, thinking of when Ralf was launched after Villeneuve's engine failure at Melbourne in 2001. On the face of it I agree, it just didn't look like Kvyat was thinking about slowing down. Not sure about wanting to ram him off the track but worried about keeping momentum in the pack.

Very considerate of Vettel to help his old team mate Ricciardo by protecting him from Kvyat though.
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Amon wrote:
steoc4 wrote:Pretty disgraceful driving from Kvyat there, stop go penalty doesn't seem sufficient.
That would be miles over the top. Lots of drivers have hit people up the back before. Kvyat just misjudged Vettel's speed through the corner. That corner is an accelation zone so you wouldn't expect him to be ready to slow down.

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

This battle for second is a perfect example of what is wrong with F1. Faster cars can't even get close enough to attempt to overtake others.
If...

Gumption

Post by Gumption »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Amon wrote:
That would be miles over the top. Lots of drivers have hit people up the back before. Kvyat just misjudged Vettel's speed through the corner. That corner is an accelation zone so you wouldn't expect him to be ready to slow down.
Given that he already hit Vettel, Vettel's car was swurving a little and he was right behind Vettel, a driver at that level should be able to connect the dots and anticipate slower acceleration. Race ban should definitely take place.

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

I think a 10 sec stop/go is not punishment enough for Kyvat.
If...

DirtyMike

Post by DirtyMike »

steoc4 wrote:
DirtyMike wrote:Williams have to be pro active on their strategy here ! They always manage to get it wrong but if they can pit first and neutralise the undercut they may have a chance of keeping 2nd!

With the time it takes to warm the tyres at Sochi the undercut isn't expected to work. A Mercedes 1-2 is pretty much inevitable at this point, but Bottas has a good chance of beating Kimi to the podium.
Ah! That makes sense. Lets see what happens here !
1996 and Onwards
Ricciardo .:. Massa .:. LeClerc .:. Sainz

Amon

Post by Amon »

PzR Slim wrote:This battle for second is a perfect example of what is wrong with F1. Faster cars can't even get close enough to attempt to overtake others.
Bottas ain't slow though, Massa isn't catching up with them. But it is playing into Nico's hands nicely again.
F1 fan since 1989

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Good one Bottas :)
eeee

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

Amon wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:This battle for second is a perfect example of what is wrong with F1. Faster cars can't even get close enough to attempt to overtake others.
Bottas ain't slow though, Massa isn't catching up with them. But it is playing into Nico's hands nicely again.
He's significantly slower than Rosberg and hence Hamilton. If Hamilton could get closer and just not get the job then fair enough but a faster car unable to get close enough to even attempt a pass is the major problem in F1.
If...

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Amon wrote:
Did Grosjean get a ban after Belgium?

Gumption

Post by Gumption »

Williams' first strategic non-blunder... kudos to them.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

flyboy10 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Amon wrote:
No, got one after Monza IIRC.
eeee

Amon

Post by Amon »

flyboy10 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Amon wrote:
Yes, so I don't see why a race ban for Kvyat would be too harsh now.
F1 fan since 1989

Amon

Post by Amon »

dizlexik wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Amon wrote:
No, got one after Monza IIRC.
No, he was banned from the Monza race, D'Ambrosio took his place there, I remember that well enough.
Last edited by Amon on Sun May 01, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F1 fan since 1989

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Bottas had DRS too then
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Amon wrote:No, he was banned from the Monza race, D'Ambrosio took his place there, I remember that well enough.
Fair enough. :thumbup:
eeee

Gumption

Post by Gumption »

Had Kvyat taken out Hamilton by hitting him twice, I bet he would receive a race ban/black flag.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Amon wrote:
On lap 1 when running side by side with other drivers and on cold tyres and off the perfect line, you can not assume anything.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

flyboy10 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Amon wrote:
Grosjean got a ban after multiple incidents through out the season. If Kvyat does it again then it may be a bit more reasonable.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Asphalt_World wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Amon wrote:
On lap 1 when running side by side with other drivers and on cold tyres and off the perfect line, you can not assume anything.
I agree he made a mistake.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

Yes, and the geniuses in this sport have found the solution for 2017: more downforce. Every fan and driver is crying out against it, and yet it's going to happen, and as soon as the races, start, everyone will start crying how dull it is. This is mindnumbingly dumb.

steoc4

Post by steoc4 »

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
Yes, and the geniuses in this sport have found the solution for 2017: more downforce. Every fan and driver is crying out against it, and yet it's going to happen, and as soon as the races, start, everyone will start crying how dull it is. This is mindnumbingly dumb.

It took him a lap to easily blast past after the pitstop - how much do you want the drivers in faster cars to have everything handed to them on a plate?

Amon

Post by Amon »

mikeyg123 wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Amon wrote:
Grosjean got a ban after multiple incidents through out the season. If Kvyat does it again then it may be a bit more reasonable.
Fair enough but Pastor didn't get one after multiple incidents, so they weren't at all consequent there.
F1 fan since 1989