Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne on E Cars

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
HS Thompson

Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne on E Cars

Post by HS Thompson »

the idea of a Ferrari without an internal combustion engine would be "an almost obscene concept" and that it's something Ferrari will never do.

"This is not Ferrari"

Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/ferrari-ceo-drives-tesla-promptly-calls-electric-cars-174151645.html

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Re: Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne on E Cars

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

Well, Ferrari believes a pseudo-manly image caters to their target market. Because men are neanderthals who need a lot of loud screaming noise, destruction of nature, and that's the kind of man who'll want a Ferrari racing car, apparently.

I've been a Ferrari follower since I saw a poster of their beautiful cars as a child, but as days go by, I find it harder to accept their myopic views.

Fuch it. I just want technology and racing. Ferrari will eventually get into electric, or die.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Whilst oil powered engines can't last forever, I can kind of see his point.

Imagine a Lamborghini driving past your house sounding like a Nissan Leaf. Even if the Ferrari version was incredibly fast, would the same customers buy it that would purchase a V12 or V10 Lamborghini? I doubt many would.

This isn't a Ferrari thing. Lot's of brands in the world, and I don't simply mean car manufacturers here, would never change to a totally different range of products unless there was no choice.

Ferrari run a hybrid and can see the point of this, but they choose not to look in to full electric, at least for the time being.

I really don't see any surprise here.

Perhaps Ferrari should produce a nice eco friendly people carrier with matching caravan so as not to keep appealing to Neanderthals!
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

F1 will IMO likely have electric motors one day & at that time Sergio Marchionne will probably no longer be in charge of Ferrari.

I'll put money on seeing an all electric Ferrari in my lifetime. Times change and a brand like Ferrari will not simply collapse out of a refusal to move with them.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:F1 will IMO likely have electric motors one day & at that time Sergio Marchionne will probably no longer be in charge of Ferrari.

I'll put money on seeing an all electric Ferrari in my lifetime. Times change and a brand like Ferrari will not simply collapse out of a refusal to move with them.

You'd think so, but you'll be surprised how often huge, HUGE brands collapse due to their unwillingness to change and adapt.

Nokia, anyone? It wasn't possible to believe they'd lose the top spot, and it took them 5 years to die, all because their ego was too big to let Symbian go.

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:Well, Ferrari believes a pseudo-manly image caters to their target market. Because men are neanderthals who need a lot of loud screaming noise, destruction of nature, and that's the kind of man who'll want a Ferrari racing car, apparently.

I've been a Ferrari follower since I saw a poster of their beautiful cars as a child, but as days go by, I find it harder to accept their myopic views.

Fuch it. I just want technology and racing. Ferrari will eventually get into electric, or die.

Why can't it simply be that not everything is for everyone or every company?

What if Colgate suddenly decided the new wave of the future for toothpaste was dog manure? Would you also feel the need to assimilate or die?
For me, my breath would likely already smell of dung so I'd feel no need to literally introduce fecal matter into my mouth. However, I would understand some would buy into it and begin to brush with poop. That doesn't mean it's for everyone.

As for Ferrari and their HERITAGE… Theirs is one quite long in the tooth and the main proprietor for the genre many countless millions and likely billions know and love as Supercar. No one has the right to tell anyone or any company they have to do things a certain way and given Ferrari's track record, I'd say they've done a damn fine job all this time and true car enthusiasts with money would more than likely opt for a fossil fuel burning Ferrari over an electric counterpart. On top of it all, the article is not only aggressively attacking the prancing horse without merit, but it's also written by an apparent tree-hugging hack on, of all places… Archaic search engine/site.com… I mean Yahoo.

And in case anyone missed it, Tesla isn't doing as well as many think so their business model and product line may not be this end all, be all, way of the future. I see a few of their cars on the highway each week and it's just a car to me. Pretty nice, but nothing special and the lack of sound, while cool, is nowhere near as cool or eargasmic as those Mercedes V12's and Mustang GT's I also drive by. Hell, there are some 4 & 6 Bangers that are more appealing than oversized RC cars.

The way I think is, companies should be free to engineer and manufacture whatever they want and people should have the freedom to purchase whatever they prefer. Simple. There are Pros and Cons to everything and no one product is superior to another, so make decisions that are right for you and allow others to do the same without ridiculing or waving fingers.

As long as there is a Ferrari their cars will roar. Long live the ROAR!!!
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

I'm not sure dog manure is that realistic an example...

Tesla's issues are largely in the cost of the technology, which they hope to reduce with their Gigafactory and the economies of scale that come as more and more people take up the technology. But a look at the number of hybrid vehicles that many manufacturers are introducing will tell you that Tesla aren't the only ones to believe that electric is the future. It's not going away anytime soon.

Of course Ferrari don't want to go the electric route. Their cars are about passion and big engines and sound are a part of their heritage. But as much as they would like to play Canute against the tide of change it's unlikely that they will hold it once that attitude starts costing them money. And at some point down the line it probably will.

WHoff78

Post by WHoff78 »

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:Well, Ferrari believes a pseudo-manly image caters to their target market. Because men are neanderthals who need a lot of loud screaming noise, destruction of nature, and that's the kind of man who'll want a Ferrari racing car, apparently.

What if Colgate suddenly decided the new wave of the future for toothpaste was dog manure? Would you also feel the need to assimilate or die?
For me, my breath would likely already smell of dung so I'd feel no need to literally introduce fecal matter into my mouth. However, I would understand some would buy into it and begin to brush with poop. That doesn't mean it's for everyone.

As for Ferrari and their HERITAGE… Theirs is one quite long in the tooth and the main proprietor for the genre many countless millions and likely billions know and love as Supercar. No one has the right to tell anyone or any company they have to do things a certain way and given Ferrari's track record, I'd say they've done a damn fine job all this time and true car enthusiasts with money would more than likely opt for a fossil fuel burning Ferrari over an electric counterpart. On top of it all, the article is not only aggressively attacking the prancing horse without merit, but it's also written by an apparent tree-hugging hack on, of all places… Archaic search engine/site.com… I mean Yahoo.

And in case anyone missed it, Tesla isn't doing as well as many think so their business model and product line may not be this end all, be all, way of the future. I see a few of their cars on the highway each week and it's just a car to me. Pretty nice, but nothing special and the lack of sound, while cool, is nowhere near as cool or eargasmic as those Mercedes V12's and Mustang GT's I also drive by. Hell, there are some 4 & 6 Bangers that are more appealing than oversized RC cars.

The way I think is, companies should be free to engineer and manufacture whatever they want and people should have the freedom to purchase whatever they prefer. Simple. There are Pros and Cons to everything and no one product is superior to another, so make decisions that are right for you and allow others to do the same without ridiculing or waving fingers.

The market will only get smaller, and if not because of costs savings and efficiency, then because of legal requirements. I believe the Netherlands are already looking at banning petrol/diesel cars in the not too distant future. Be interesting to see where that goes though.

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

WHoff78 wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

The market will only get smaller, and if not because of costs savings and efficiency, then because of legal requirements. I believe the Netherlands are already looking at banning petrol/diesel cars in the not too distant future. Be interesting to see where that goes though.

I did hear about that yesterday, I believe that they have introduced laws stating that no petrol or diesel engined vehicles will be allowed to be registered from 2025. I thought it was a great idea and an excellent way to force a catalyst in the industry to switch and wished that Australia would introduce similar laws... Then I remembered last year I drove 1800km on a highway, in a straight line, in a single day without even leaving the state. In a tesla that would have taken me most of a week.

But I still want one.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Blackhander wrote:
WHoff78 wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

I did hear about that yesterday, I believe that they have introduced laws stating that no petrol or diesel engined vehicles will be allowed to be registered from 2025. I thought it was a great idea and an excellent way to force a catalyst in the industry to switch and wished that Australia would introduce similar laws... Then I remembered last year I drove 1800km on a highway, in a straight line, in a single day without even leaving the state. In a tesla that would have taken me most of a week.

But I still want one.

No it's a proposal but several parties are against the idea as being unrealistic. It's not been made law yet, if it ever will be.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Totally expected. I agre with him. An elecric Ferrari would make Enzo turn into his grave, it would be insulting.

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

Zoue wrote:
Blackhander wrote:
WHoff78 wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

But I still want one.

No it's a proposal but several parties are against the idea as being unrealistic. It's not been made law yet, if it ever will be.

Ah ok, ABC news radio was reporting that it had been passed.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Lol what? banning petrol/diesel cars? That must be a joke. We are in 2016. Way too early for that. Maybe in 2050...
Even if a law like this gets approved, it would not completely ban internal combustion cars, but apply big taxes on them.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

The time taken to replace the majority of cars used in the world to none oil burners will be massive. Manufacturers like to move on to alternative energy forms because it's money making and good for their image. It's not because they all genuinely care.

Look at BMW. They have the I8 and that horrid looking small thing that glows blue, is it an I1? Anyway, both are very clever and both will appeal to some existing clientèle and perhaps some new customers as well. However, it's hardly a sign that the company has suddenly become the latest producer of cars for the green brigade. They still produce gas guzzling, autobahn storming sports cars and massive grand tourers that have a vast array of electrical tricks that all use more energy and aren't exactly needed in truth. But us customers love them. They are also happy to have thousands of their petrol and diesel powered cars race all over the world. This is hardly a green move either.

This is not picking on BMW in particular, just using them as an example as to how it's being portrayed in a lot of the media that 'green cars' are coming along quickly when in reality they aren't.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

nixxxon wrote:Lol what? banning petrol/diesel cars? That must be a joke. We are in 2016. Way too early for that. Maybe in 2050...
Even if a law like this gets approved, it would not completely ban internal combustion cars, but apply big taxes on them.

No. The proposal is to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2025. So existing ICE would be allowed to continue, but new cars would have to be electric.

The proposal is not unanimously backed but nevertheless has strong support.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Asphalt_World wrote:The time taken to replace the majority of cars used in the world to none oil burners will be massive. Manufacturers like to move on to alternative energy forms because it's money making and good for their image. It's not because they all genuinely care.

Look at BMW. They have the I8 and that horrid looking small thing that glows blue, is it an I1? Anyway, both are very clever and both will appeal to some existing clientèle and perhaps some new customers as well. However, it's hardly a sign that the company has suddenly become the latest producer of cars for the green brigade. They still produce gas guzzling, autobahn storming sports cars and massive grand tourers that have a vast array of electrical tricks that all use more energy and aren't exactly needed in truth. But us customers love them. They are also happy to have thousands of their petrol and diesel powered cars race all over the world. This is hardly a green move either.

This is not picking on BMW in particular, just using them as an example as to how it's being portrayed in a lot of the media that 'green cars' are coming along quickly when in reality they aren't.

I'm not sure I'd agree with your summation. There are dozens of hybrid or full electric csars either just out or in the pipeline. BMW, to use your example, has several models planned, along with most of the automotive world. How quickly they are coming along depends on where you are and whether your country has invested in the necessary infrastructure for popular takeup. Some countries have, along with generous incentives, and these have shown a big increase in takeup in a very short space of time. It will only keep growing

moby

Post by moby »

Once his cars start getting-

a) Thrashed by electric cars, especially in the standing start and low end performance, which is 90% of using a car.
b) The cars not being allowed in City Centres or indoor parking etc.

I think he may well have a rethink.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

moby wrote:Once his cars start getting-

a) Thrashed by electric cars, especially in the standing start and low end performance, which is 90% of using a car.

If you have a Ferrari from a standing start and low end performance, you bought the wrong car.

And besides performance, a Ferrari is like a jewel with wheels, a moving work of art.

Never an efficient electric appliance.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

moby wrote:Once his cars start getting-

Sadly point a is not that important unless I am unusual in not bothering to floor my car at every corner and junction I accelerate away from.

As for point b, that has nothing to do with none oil cars being better, it's about a rule that forces your hand.

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

It's unlikely that we will see full electric integration in Sergio Marchionne's lifetime. Whilst I agree that 'going electric' is an inevitable future it is not nearly as short term a prospect as, let's say, the specific regulators who request that all new cars are full-electric from 2025 expect. That's less than 10 years down the line and a significant shift in infrastructure is required. That commitment needs to be before now in order to make that happen.

Hybridisation is now. At the moment the most efficient way to generate electricity to power / assist a car is from the ICE. That will change but it will take time. Electricity for the grid is produced largely using non-sustainable methods and these are not as efficient as an ICE. Renewable sources are becoming more commonplace but will not take over completely anytime soon (e.g. China is the biggest investor in renewable energy - but it is also increasing 'fossil' energy at a higher rate than anyone else {sorry, unable to find the original source from which I gleaned this}).

I'm going on a bit. In short: I expect full electrification of vehicles. Just not in the next 10 - 15 years. More like 50.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

Ferraris not only possess supercar performance, but they yank very hard on the emotions. A Ferrari conjures images of a sexy car, with it's beautiful engine sound and exquisite lines. It isn't a car for cold logic, it is a car for those who's blood runs hot through their bodies.

Many years from now the last car to burn gasoline may very well be a Ferrari.

I just Googled "sexy car", and the first image was ...

http://rmautobuzz.com/wp-content/gallery/10-sexiest-car-designs-of-2016/sexy-car-1.jpg
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:F1 will IMO likely have electric motors one day & at that time Sergio Marchionne will probably no longer be in charge of Ferrari.

You'd think so, but you'll be surprised how often huge, HUGE brands collapse due to their unwillingness to change and adapt.

Nokia, anyone? It wasn't possible to believe they'd lose the top spot, and it took them 5 years to die, all because their ego was too big to let Symbian go.

Nokia is 150 years old and has $23b market cap. Not bad considering that very few companies of that size survive for so long. Nokia is actually great example of company that can adapt. Didn't it start as a mining company? Who said Nokia needs to make phones?

Ferrari will survive simply because it's quite small company and can easily be bailed out.
eeee

specdecible

Post by specdecible »

Don't worry about it guys, Ferrari have a very specific target audience, so long as what he says keeps these people happy they will keep buying their cars.
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco '12 & '15, Silverstone '14, Austria '15, Mexico '15, China '16)
Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

Blackhander wrote:I did hear about that yesterday, I believe that they have introduced laws stating that no petrol or diesel engined vehicles will be allowed to be registered from 2025. I thought it was a great idea and an excellent way to force a catalyst in the industry to switch and wished that Australia would introduce similar laws... Then I remembered last year I drove 1800km on a highway, in a straight line, in a single day without even leaving the state. In a tesla that would have taken me most of a week. But I still want one.

And therein lies the problem. Tech needs to move on a lot more for this to be realistic. And battery tech is notoriously tough to advance.

As for Ferrari, it's tough. If this law was to be passed then they wouldn't have much choice. Although a lot of their sales are in the US and the Middle East, so maybe you just won't be able to buy a new Ferrari in Europe?
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

ALESI wrote:
Blackhander wrote:I did hear about that yesterday, I believe that they have introduced laws stating that no petrol or diesel engined vehicles will be allowed to be registered from 2025. I thought it was a great idea and an excellent way to force a catalyst in the industry to switch and wished that Australia would introduce similar laws... Then I remembered last year I drove 1800km on a highway, in a straight line, in a single day without even leaving the state. In a tesla that would have taken me most of a week. But I still want one.

And therein lies the problem. Tech needs to move on a lot more for this to be realistic. And battery tech is notoriously tough to advance.

As for Ferrari, it's tough. If this law was to be passed then they wouldn't have much choice. Although a lot of their sales are in the US and the Middle East, so maybe you just won't be able to buy a new Ferrari in Europe?

The problem is more one of infrastructure. Battery tech is improving all the time, as is the software by which more may be extracted from the same amount of energy stored. But driving 1800km would be an issue for most without tank stations, so if you put Tesla supercharging stations next to them then the problem would be largely resolved. Yes, at the moment it takes longer to charge than to fill up with petrol / diesel, but it's getting quicker all the time (20 minutes for a half charge, 1 hr for full), so it shouldn't be too long before charging times tumble. You could just about cover 1800KM in a day even now (as long as the charging stations were there). Be a pretty long day, mind, but there again it would in a conventionally powered vehicle, too.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

nixxxon wrote:Totally expected. I agre with him. An elecric Ferrari would make Enzo turn into his grave, it would be insulting.

Unless Enzo's grave can be turned into an unlimited supply of fossil fuel there's a certain point in time where Ferrari will have no option
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

mcdo wrote:
nixxxon wrote:Totally expected. I agre with him. An elecric Ferrari would make Enzo turn into his grave, it would be insulting.

Unless Enzo's grave can be turned into an unlimited supply of fossil fuel there's a certain point in time where Ferrari will have no option

Fuel will never be a problem for such an exclusive brand of cars with such limited production.
Instead, fuel will be problem for mass production cars for the common folk
Last edited by nixxxon on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

nixxxon wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Fuel will never be a problem for such an exclusive brand of cars with such limited production.
Fuel will be problem for mass production cars for the common folk

You can't say never about a finite source
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

mcdo wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Fuel will be problem for mass production cars for the common folk

You can't say never about a finite source

In this particular case the problem wont be so much about running out of oil, but about the cost of extracting it increasing so much, that it will not be viable anymore (for the mass production cars and common folk) but for rich people that own cars like a Ferrari, they will always be able to afford oil for their cars.
As time goes by, easy extracting oil fields are getting dry and we rely more on other oil fields that are harder and more costly to extract, so that is the problem, but its not because the world reserves are that low.

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

Maybe Ferrari should think about building cars with bigger fuel tanks, if nobody else is using petrol the stations will disappear.

Surely any performance car, is going to use it batteries quicker than a Leaf, so the Ferrari will need some mega batteries to go further than 100 miles.
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

nixxxon wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Instead, fuel will be problem for mass production cars for the common folk

Of course it will. If nothing else if fuel is not available to the masses then filling stations would cease to exist. You think Shell etc will keep them open on the off chance a Ferrari comes trundling by? And if the means of getting fuel are severely curtailed, then sales of cars with internal combustion engines will also plummet. Ferrari's not going to stay in existence if the only people it can sell cars to are billionaires with their own petrol delivery infrastructure on hand, nor will buyers be queuing up to take delivery of a car which they are only able to drive within a limited radius from their home.

If the world moves over to electric en masse, then Ferrari will either have to follow suit or shut its doors. There is no middle ground.

HS Thompson

Post by HS Thompson »

mcdo wrote:

I remember 35 years ago when "experts" were saying we had at most enough oil to barely get to the end of my lifetime. We'll, 35 years on and we have so much oil that the price has collapsed sending 300,000 people out of work! We have so much oil that there are thousands of tankers floating around full of oil with nowhere to take it.

Oil will certainly run out one day, but that will never happen in my lifetime, nor my kid's.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

ALESI wrote:Maybe Ferrari should think about building cars with bigger fuel tanks, if nobody else is using petrol the stations will disappear.

Surely any performance car, is going to use it batteries quicker than a Leaf, so the Ferrari will need some mega batteries to go further than 100 miles.

A Tesla has a range of 300+ miles and the technology to extend that is improving all the time. I doubt many Ferraris have a greater range currently, tbh. It's not as though they all do 40mpg. And a Tesla can co 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, which is already supercar territory.

Granted, a Ferrari will be a lot more fun through the twisty bits, but there again they are two completely different cars for two different audiences. The point is the tech already exists to produce an electric supercar.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Well, wasn't it Enzo himself that didn't want the engines rear mounted? As in "the horses drag the coach, they don't push"?

They did go that way in the end, as it was the best way.

If the whole world moves that way, they'll have to. Change is inevitable in our world

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Will the world be producing enough electricity for all new cars to be electric by anything like 2025? If it is, it won't all be being produced in an environmentally friendly manner, and batteries won't be either for that matter.

Prema

Post by Prema »

The fancy digital technology should have made all those mechanical wrist watches to die out long time ago, but no. A super expensive old fashioned mechanical Rolex is still the top line, and not easily affordable, and Casio did not make them obsolete.
On the end, unless some enforcement of a law that to decide, it would be the market that would keep kinds of ICE super cars type Ferrari be still sought and wanted. And not all people are alike - market will surely exist. Personally, I never could make my head around why some people would go for awfully loud "pig" Harley Davidson and not for much more silent motorcycles available on the market. But that's only me. I do not even drive any, so I can't stand the sound of that one since it only scares a fairy cakes out of my dog and I get angry on them. But some people love HD for exactly that, and always will, and will demand it.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

HS Thompson wrote:
mcdo wrote:

I remember 35 years ago when "experts" were saying we had at most enough oil to barely get to the end of my lifetime. We'll, 35 years on and we have so much oil that the price has collapsed sending 300,000 people out of work! We have so much oil that there are thousands of tankers floating around full of oil with nowhere to take it.

Oil will certainly run out one day, but that will never happen in my lifetime, nor my kid's.

Nobody said it was going to happen tomorrow. Ferrari existed long before I was alive, I suspect it will exist long after I'm dead. But how long after depends on their ability to adapt to a market that will definitely change
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Asphalt_World wrote:Will the world be producing enough electricity for all new cars to be electric by anything like 2025? If it is, it won't all be being produced in an environmentally friendly manner, and batteries won't be either for that matter.

A different debate, really. What matters only is whether Ferrari will be able to keep producing petrol cars if the infrastructure or legal situation makes it difficult for them to do so. At some point in the not terribly distant future, unless an alternative energy source is found, hydrocarbon-powered vehicles will be severely restricted in the Western world, which means that companies like Ferrari will either have to switch to different markets or bite the bullet and produce cars they will still be able to sell in the West. Ferrari are still a business at the end of the day, which their recent flotation only underlines, and they will undoubtedly go where the money is.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Prema wrote:The fancy digital technology should have made all those mechanical wrist watches to die out long time ago, but no. A super expensive old fashioned mechanical Rolex is still the top line, and not easily affordable, and Casio did not make them obsolete.

This analogy only works if the world was going to run out of analogue time
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

I can't see many customers wanting to buy a petrol powered Ferrari car when there are no more petrol stations. The world is moving on and sooner or later they will be forced to follow it.