Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
User avatar
mcdo
Posts: 10289
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by mcdo »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:Lewis Hamilton is to Formula One in the same way Lady Gaga is to music.
Would that mean Ayrton Senna was Madonna?
When he was alive many perceived him as a bully. So, yea, you aren't far from the mark. Despite the fact that both were willing to work very hard and were ruthless, there is a vast difference, because Senna was talented.
It's a debate for another day but I have respect for everything Madonna achieved and think she was massively talented
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

RaggedMan
Posts: 4825
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by RaggedMan »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:This week there have been threads criticizing Alonso, Vettel and now Hamilton's personalities. If we want our drivers to be open and honest human beings then we have to be prepared not to like everything they say. We all have our faults.
I wish more fans would understand that almost every famous racer has personality issues. In other words, many are real dicks. It is almost a job requirement because you must be able to compete hard against many other people on a regular basis, and thus be driven unlike the normal person. Talent takes those kinds of people to the top, but almost every successful professional racer was willing to sacrifice their childhood and a happy, normal life for one marinating in ruthless competition. Dale Earnhardt was and still is adored and loved by millions of his fans. But a quick read over the biography of his son, Jr, points out that Sr was a horrible parent.

All too often we see these brave young people do amazing things with their machinery, and somehow believe that just because they are talented and give good interviews that their farts smell like unicorns.

So he claims to be the best promoter of a sport that sinks each year lower and lower in prestige? It is his choice to believe that, I'm not disputing his statement. But I can tell the difference between just gaining more publicity and doing something positive for a sport or society.

Lewis Hamilton is to Formula One in the same way Lady Gaga is to music.
As the old saying goes: Never meet your heroes.
{Insert clever sig line here}

User avatar
Mercedes-Benz
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:02 am
Location: India

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

He may be right. Hamilton, Rosberg, Vettel all are good with the team, sponsors and PR stuff. But Kimi is still the most popular F1 driver ;)
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

Zoue
Posts: 25158
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Zoue »

PaDee wrote:
Zoue wrote:
PaDee wrote:
Zoue wrote: To what end?
Does an observation need an end? It does what it says on the tin and that is that I am yet to see a post from you agreeing with anything Hamilton says or does.
Normally it does, yes. Otherwise I could arbitrarily say that I have yet to see a post from you disagreeing with whatever Hamilton says. But that would be just as pointless as what you did.

I suspect you were trying to imply bias, but if so, why not simply ask? If not, then your post is just an odd non-sequitur
I know that you like to argue, but sometimes there is no ulterior motive and things should be taken at face value as was my original intent with what was a throw away comment. But as you raise the issue, your bias is plain to see in your posting history with regards to Hamilton. See, no need for inference.

And before you fire up the Outrage Bus, I know that you are quite entitled to voice your opinion, but you shouldn't be offended if that opinion doesn't carry as much weight as you think it should.
Oh dear, aren't we the keyboard warrior?

I have no problem with people not taking my opinion as gospel and I'm quite happy to agree to disagree with others on here. I do have a problem with posters casting unwarranted slurs upon others but I accept than there will always be those whose keyboard makes them braver than they would normally be in real life.

There was no need for your comments or your subsequent attempts to insult, but I suspect you already know that. It seems that for some anything other than outright admiration of their heroes requires them to mount an attempt on their behalf. Sad, really, but what can you do?

aice
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:37 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by aice »

Mercedes-Benz wrote:He may be right. Hamilton, Rosberg, Vettel all are good with the team, sponsors and PR stuff. But Kimi is still the most popular F1 driver ;)


I suppose that would depend on what barometer you would use to measure "popularity", no?
You just need to be accepted for who you are and be proud of who you are and that is what I'm trying to do.
Lewis Hamilton

User avatar
Balibari
Posts: 3226
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Balibari »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:Lewis Hamilton is to Formula One in the same way Lady Gaga is to music.
Would that mean Ayrton Senna was Madonna?
When he was alive many perceived him as a bully. So, yea, you aren't far from the mark. Despite the fact that both were willing to work very hard and were ruthless, there is a vast difference, because Senna was talented.
Kapow!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

User avatar
nixxxon
Posts: 3767
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:08 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by nixxxon »

Siao7 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:Thats sort of a laughable claim.

I remember a certain guy called Ayrton Senna, or even Michael Schumacher
Who are they?
Uhm, what?

F1_Ernie
Posts: 3775
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by F1_Ernie »

ALESI wrote:Really the only reason he's the most 'famous' is because he dated a Pussycat Doll. It really wouldn't have mattered if he won 1 or 6 WDCs, that simple fact made him 'tabloid' fodder. By contrast Vettel lives in a tent in a field with his missus and hence hasn't captured the public at large's imagination. I find it strange that in this day and age, when sponsors want marketable personalities, that drivers seem to think just driving the car is enough.
Another thread where people can state there love for Hamilton or dislike.

Yep Hamilton is only famous because of a pussycat doll, when it's mostly men who watch the sport and I'm guessing mostly women who follow the pussycat dolls, could be wrong.
Hamilton's probably the most famous driver because he goes to lots of events, always in the British press because his British. Remember seeing Hamilton at the Super Bowl and I don't watch it that much.
Hamilton's always out and about doing things, going places, his a single man after all wouldn't we all be doing that.

He is the best promoter of the sport because his always about, whether he is a good promoter I don't know. Even as a Lewis fan sometimes I am thinking "oh Lewis" to some of the stuff I hear but to a non f1 fan they don't care about what Hamilton's saying about the sport, there just seeing his face out there and his a f1 driver.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

User avatar
Blinky McSquinty
Posts: 1464
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

nixxxon wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:Thats sort of a laughable claim.

I remember a certain guy called Ayrton Senna, or even Michael Schumacher
Who are they?
Uhm, what?
The distinction is that Michael Schumacher quietly donated over 50 million to charities, Ayrton Senna quietly set up his charitable foundation, Massa has his charitable annual kart race (Desafio Internacional das Estrelas), they give to the community. But when you promote something, just making noise is all that is required.

We need to understand that there is a difference between contributing and making a sport (or society) better, and just promoting it. Some drivers are just famous. Other drivers are respected because of the quality of their contributions to the community.

Image
http://d1b8ufspcmikd1.cloudfront.net/~/ ... 003T160047
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

Prema
Posts: 6650
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Prema »

Hamilton_Jar wrote: He is the best promoter of the sport because his always about, whether he is a good promoter I don't know. Even as a Lewis fan sometimes I am thinking "oh Lewis" to some of the stuff I hear but to a non f1 fan they don't care about what Hamilton's saying about the sport, there just seeing his face out there and his a f1 driver.
Lewis is the best promoter of his own self because he's always about his own self. And since there isn't anything else that much great about Lewis in other fields of activities (fashion? hip-hop music?), that I at least can think about, besides being a great F1 driver, so there's the connection... F1. So there you go.. Lewis promotes the sport as "probably all the other drivers put together and more". And that's also probably true, since all the other drivers put together probably go promoting themselves less than one Lewis promotes his own self.

On the end, it's just bragging about own self, however you want to put it. It is not "F1", but "me. me. me. Lewis. Lewis. Lewis".

F1_Ernie
Posts: 3775
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by F1_Ernie »

Prema wrote:
Hamilton_Jar wrote: He is the best promoter of the sport because his always about, whether he is a good promoter I don't know. Even as a Lewis fan sometimes I am thinking "oh Lewis" to some of the stuff I hear but to a non f1 fan they don't care about what Hamilton's saying about the sport, there just seeing his face out there and his a f1 driver.
Lewis is the best promoter of his own self because he's always about his own self. And since there isn't anything else that much great about Lewis in other fields of activities (fashion? hip-hop music?), that I at least can think about, besides being a great F1 driver, so there's the connection... F1. So there you go.. Lewis promotes the sport as "probably all the other drivers put together and more". And that's also probably true, since all the other drivers put together probably go promoting themselves less than one Lewis promotes his own self.

On the end, it's just bragging about own self, however you want to put it. It is not "F1", but "me. me. me. Lewis. Lewis. Lewis".
Good or bad, it still promotes F1. Newspaper clippings of him out, pictures of him at a movie premiere etc. Of course it's about him but it still promotes F1. He does this more than any F1 driver and would I do the same in his position hell yeah.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

RaggedMan
Posts: 4825
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by RaggedMan »

If you take the view that "I owe nothing to the sport" is referencing that it's not up to him, or drivers in general, to give input to the direction of the sport then we shouldn't hear complaints about what changes need to be made because complaining about the cars not being able to follow another car is making a statement about the direction of the sport. Just show up and drive the car you're provided and move along without comment.

If your interpretation is that he's done plenty through promotion, then I'll side with what others have already said in that most of his promotion is self-promotion and he gets as much from his relationship with F1 as F1 does from him. It's not like without being a top driver he would be able to attend these galas and movie premieres if he were "Just a lad from Stevenege."

He owes his social status and wealth to a system that throws large amounts of money at talented people and without that he'd be in the same place as the rest of us. I'm sure he's paid back some of that through his sponsorship requirements doing ads and what not but I also believe that he's counting being in Zoolander and things of that sort as paying back to the system but I don't see it that way. I'm willing to bet that most people who watched that movie, outside the UK, had no idea who he was and if they were told afterward they didn't care.

Aside from the car swap he did with Tony Stewart at Watkins Glen when he was with McLaren, and the few ads that were made out of that I can't think of any other time I've seen him on TV here. While I know that Vettel was on at least one late night talk show either the week before or after Montreal one year.

I've seen loads of Mobil1 ads with Button over the last couple of years, when Kimi was with Lotus he cropped up in a antiperspirant ad, Alonso was in a Puma ad. Even then though the only reason I knew who they were is because I'm already a fan so I don't really see that as promoting F1.
{Insert clever sig line here}

sandman1347
Posts: 6977
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by sandman1347 »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:This week there have been threads criticizing Alonso, Vettel and now Hamilton's personalities. If we want our drivers to be open and honest human beings then we have to be prepared not to like everything they say. We all have our faults.
I wish more fans would understand that almost every famous racer has personality issues. In other words, many are real dicks. It is almost a job requirement because you must be able to compete hard against many other people on a regular basis, and thus be driven unlike the normal person. Talent takes those kinds of people to the top, but almost every successful professional racer was willing to sacrifice their childhood and a happy, normal life for one marinating in ruthless competition. Dale Earnhardt was and still is adored and loved by millions of his fans. But a quick read over the biography of his son, Jr, points out that Sr was a horrible parent.

All too often we see these brave young people do amazing things with their machinery, and somehow believe that just because they are talented and give good interviews that their farts smell like unicorns.

So he claims to be the best promoter of a sport that sinks each year lower and lower in prestige? It is his choice to believe that, I'm not disputing his statement. But I can tell the difference between just gaining more publicity and doing something positive for a sport or society.

Lewis Hamilton is to Formula One in the same way Lady Gaga is to music.
Why choose a female performer?

User avatar
Blinky McSquinty
Posts: 1464
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

sandman1347 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:This week there have been threads criticizing Alonso, Vettel and now Hamilton's personalities. If we want our drivers to be open and honest human beings then we have to be prepared not to like everything they say. We all have our faults.
I wish more fans would understand that almost every famous racer has personality issues. In other words, many are real dicks. It is almost a job requirement because you must be able to compete hard against many other people on a regular basis, and thus be driven unlike the normal person. Talent takes those kinds of people to the top, but almost every successful professional racer was willing to sacrifice their childhood and a happy, normal life for one marinating in ruthless competition. Dale Earnhardt was and still is adored and loved by millions of his fans. But a quick read over the biography of his son, Jr, points out that Sr was a horrible parent.

All too often we see these brave young people do amazing things with their machinery, and somehow believe that just because they are talented and give good interviews that their farts smell like unicorns.

So he claims to be the best promoter of a sport that sinks each year lower and lower in prestige? It is his choice to believe that, I'm not disputing his statement. But I can tell the difference between just gaining more publicity and doing something positive for a sport or society.

Lewis Hamilton is to Formula One in the same way Lady Gaga is to music.
Why choose a female performer?
You are quite correct, I hope this balances things out.

Image
http://a2.files.biography.com/image/upl ... E3MTAz.jpg
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

Siao7
Posts: 8889
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Siao7 »

nixxxon wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:Thats sort of a laughable claim.

I remember a certain guy called Ayrton Senna, or even Michael Schumacher
Who are they?
Uhm, what?
I would never imagine that I'd have to defend this: just joking mate...

aice
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:37 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by aice »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
The distinction is that Michael Schumacher quietly donated over 50 million to charities, Ayrton Senna quietly set up his charitable foundation, Massa has his charitable annual kart race (Desafio Internacional das Estrelas), they give to the community. But when you promote something, just making noise is all that is required.

We need to understand that there is a difference between contributing and making a sport (or society) better, and just promoting it. Some drivers are just famous. Other drivers are respected because of the quality of their contributions to the community.

Image
http://d1b8ufspcmikd1.cloudfront.net/~/ ... 003T160047

I'm sure Lewis would agree. Hence why he uses his fame to promote and highlight various charitable causes and organisations.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/sports- ... mbassador/
http://www.totalgiving.co.uk/charity/le ... foundation
https://blogs.unicef.org.uk/2014/06/06/ ... occer-aid/
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 771722.cms
You just need to be accepted for who you are and be proud of who you are and that is what I'm trying to do.
Lewis Hamilton

mikeyg123
Posts: 18366
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by mikeyg123 »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:Thats sort of a laughable claim.

I remember a certain guy called Ayrton Senna, or even Michael Schumacher
Who are they?
Uhm, what?
The distinction is that Michael Schumacher quietly donated over 50 million to charities, Ayrton Senna quietly set up his charitable foundation, Massa has his charitable annual kart race (Desafio Internacional das Estrelas), they give to the community. But when you promote something, just making noise is all that is required.

We need to understand that there is a difference between contributing and making a sport (or society) better, and just promoting it. Some drivers are just famous. Other drivers are respected because of the quality of their contributions to the community.

Image
http://d1b8ufspcmikd1.cloudfront.net/~/ ... 003T160047
To be fair Hamilton never claimed to be the most charitable so I'm not sure why it's relevant?

It also seems that he has setup his own charitable foundation. So quietly you or I didn't even no about it.

aice
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:37 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by aice »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:Thats sort of a laughable claim.

I remember a certain guy called Ayrton Senna, or even Michael Schumacher
Who are they?
Uhm, what?
The distinction is that Michael Schumacher quietly donated over 50 million to charities, Ayrton Senna quietly set up his charitable foundation, Massa has his charitable annual kart race (Desafio Internacional das Estrelas), they give to the community. But when you promote something, just making noise is all that is required.

We need to understand that there is a difference between contributing and making a sport (or society) better, and just promoting it. Some drivers are just famous. Other drivers are respected because of the quality of their contributions to the community.

Image
http://d1b8ufspcmikd1.cloudfront.net/~/ ... 003T160047
To be fair Hamilton never claimed to be the most charitable so I'm not sure why it's relevant?

It also seems that he has setup his own charitable foundation. So quietly you or I didn't even no about it.
:nod:
You just need to be accepted for who you are and be proud of who you are and that is what I'm trying to do.
Lewis Hamilton

Prema
Posts: 6650
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Prema »

Hamilton_Jar wrote:
Prema wrote:
Hamilton_Jar wrote: He is the best promoter of the sport because his always about, whether he is a good promoter I don't know. Even as a Lewis fan sometimes I am thinking "oh Lewis" to some of the stuff I hear but to a non f1 fan they don't care about what Hamilton's saying about the sport, there just seeing his face out there and his a f1 driver.
Lewis is the best promoter of his own self because he's always about his own self. And since there isn't anything else that much great about Lewis in other fields of activities (fashion? hip-hop music?), that I at least can think about, besides being a great F1 driver, so there's the connection... F1. So there you go.. Lewis promotes the sport as "probably all the other drivers put together and more". And that's also probably true, since all the other drivers put together probably go promoting themselves less than one Lewis promotes his own self.

On the end, it's just bragging about own self, however you want to put it. It is not "F1", but "me. me. me. Lewis. Lewis. Lewis".
Good or bad, it still promotes F1. Newspaper clippings of him out, pictures of him at a movie premiere etc. Of course it's about him but it still promotes F1. He does this more than any F1 driver and would I do the same in his position hell yeah.
Yes, something like Paris Hilton promoting the Hilton Hotels: go out partying and making the newspapers headlines.
(though, I am not sure if people chose to book in Hilton due to Paris)
(though she seems to have ceased "promoting" lately)

sandman1347
Posts: 6977
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by sandman1347 »

David Hobbs recently said about Hamilton that "back in my day, all the drivers were like that." Basically I don't think Lewis is a profound or transcendental figure off the track but he is a phenomenal driver on it. Off track I think he's a normal person who is enjoying fame and fortune in much the same way that most people would. Don't expect profound insights or non-mainstream sensibilities from him and you won't be disappointed.

He is quite visible though and he is quite relevant in the world of popular culture and that is a good thing for the sport overall.

In terms of him saying that he doesn't owe F1 anything, he's absolutely right. F1 doesn't pay him a dime, McLaren and Mercedes have been the ones paying him. Those are automotive companies. They are not F1. All F1 and it's stake-holders do is profit. The teams and manufacturers eat losses sometimes but F1 does not. What's more F1 is an environment where no one cares for anyone else. Much like boxing, everyone in F1 is in it for themselves, there is no person or governing body that truly is there for the greater good.

Siao7
Posts: 8889
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Siao7 »

Succès de scandale in French.

There's no such thing as bad publicity in English.

Doesn't matter what he does, if he is in the news then he promotes F1, he is associated with F1. So if he dumped a pussycat doll, if he was a witness in a bar fight, if he tries to make music or dress like he still lives in the 80's then good for him; it is still somehow promoting F1. I would like a little bit less self promotion, but hey ho

Pietkok
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:41 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Pietkok »

I think that many people forget that best promoter depends on where you stand. With him and most of you being British it is probably true from your point of view, but the rest of the world doesn't see or care about his activities outside F1. Most of what you tell about Hamilton here is new to me, but as a Dutchie I know that Max Verstappen has good looking blonde Swedish girlfriend who races Audis. You probably know this too, but the general British public does not. They know about Hamilton and pussycats.

PaDee
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:34 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by PaDee »

Zoue wrote: Oh dear, aren't we the keyboard warrior?

I have no problem with people not taking my opinion as gospel and I'm quite happy to agree to disagree with others on here. I do have a problem with posters casting unwarranted slurs upon others but I accept than there will always be those whose keyboard makes them braver than they would normally be in real life.

There was no need for your comments or your subsequent attempts to insult, but I suspect you already know that. It seems that for some anything other than outright admiration of their heroes requires them to mount an attempt on their behalf. Sad, really, but what can you do?
Hey, nice deflection. I particularly like the way you have managed to get the 'anything but outright admiration of their heroes' line in there. Kudos to you. By the way, doesn't unwarranted mean without basis? Does this mean that you have actually posted in agreement with something that Hamilton has said or done? If so, I must have missed it and therefore I offer my humblest apologies.

Personally, I would have just laughed at the comment and thought '"fair one, I probably don't" and not kept picking away hoping to draw out a comment that would allow me to get all huffy and self righteous. It's only the internet after all. Each to their own I suppose.

Zoue
Posts: 25158
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Zoue »

PaDee wrote:
Zoue wrote: Oh dear, aren't we the keyboard warrior?

I have no problem with people not taking my opinion as gospel and I'm quite happy to agree to disagree with others on here. I do have a problem with posters casting unwarranted slurs upon others but I accept than there will always be those whose keyboard makes them braver than they would normally be in real life.

There was no need for your comments or your subsequent attempts to insult, but I suspect you already know that. It seems that for some anything other than outright admiration of their heroes requires them to mount an attempt on their behalf. Sad, really, but what can you do?
Hey, nice deflection. I particularly like the way you have managed to get the 'anything but outright admiration of their heroes' line in there. Kudos to you. By the way, doesn't unwarranted mean without basis? Does this mean that you have actually posted in agreement with something that Hamilton has said or done? If so, I must have missed it and therefore I offer my humblest apologies.

Personally, I would have just laughed at the comment and thought '"fair one, I probably don't" and not kept picking away hoping to draw out a comment that would allow me to get all huffy and self righteous. It's only the internet after all. Each to their own I suppose.
First it's the Outrage Bus and now it's "all huffy and self-righteous." My, we do like our hyperbole, don't we?

Unwarranted can mean without basis, but it can also mean gratuitous. Take your pick as both apply.

As to drawing out a comment, it seems you feel that there should be one rule for you and another for everyone else? If you don't want/expect people to reply, then don't make a completely unprovoked jibe at them. You can hardly be surprised if they then take issue with it.

SnakeSVT2003
Posts: 1179
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:19 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by SnakeSVT2003 »

Clarky wrote:I'm interested to read what people's thoughts as to what he owes F1 are!
Me, too. I personally agree with him. Lewis owes F1 nothing since he has given back to the sport by promoting it. I've seen him on TV here in the US more than any F1 driver on the grid combined, and probably only Sir Jackie Stewart has ever been on American TV more than Lewis, and that was back when Stewart was a commentator here in the 70's-80's.
"No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning."
Jean-Pierre Sarti

User avatar
Blake
Posts: 6820
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Blake »

SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
Clarky wrote:I'm interested to read what people's thoughts as to what he owes F1 are!
Me, too. I personally agree with him. Lewis owes F1 nothing since he has given back to the sport by promoting it. I've seen him on TV here in the US more than any F1 driver on the grid combined, and probably only Sir Jackie Stewart has ever been on American TV more than Lewis, and that was back when Stewart was a commentator here in the 70's-80's.
We must be watching different TV networks then, Snake. I have seen very little of Lewis promoting F1. Perhaps it comes down to what one calls promoting... has Lewis made appearances on behalf of F1? Has he done anything for the purpose of growing F1 in the American market? Has he made himself available to the media for the good of F1?

Not really...

What he has done...As have many other top competitors, is promote himself... and that he has done "well". One can say that just his exposure is beneficial to F1. And if that is the case, he is "promoting" the sport... but that is a sticky wicket so to speak... As not all exposure is of a good nature... an example being legal or ethical issues...

Lastly, I suggest that Lewis Hamilton does indeed "owe" F1... in a big way. There are not many sports/jobs/careers that allow one to become multi-millionaires, earn world-wide recognition, live a playboy lifestyle, hob-nob with celebrities... no matter how talented one is in their field. Lewis, like most drivers, would not likely have the great wealth and notoriety were they working outside of their sport like most of us do. Is he good at driving? No doubt. However, Mrs. l is the best teacher I have ever seen and maybe makes 50k and is not known outside of her community. John Quite. May be the best policeman in the world, but he will never get what F1 has given Lewis... and others. So yes, I do think they owe F1.

:)
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

User avatar
James14
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:53 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by James14 »

He is quite a good self promoter.

User avatar
Badgeronimous
Posts: 940
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:57 am
Location: North East

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Badgeronimous »

Hamilton might of worked very hard to get where he is, but by being able to do motorsport from a young age he has always been very privileged - despite coming from a relatively modest family.

The fact is - it costs a lot to compete in motorsport at any level, and it is a cost beyond justification for just about everybody out there. Very few parents will be able to justify (or even financially be able to) throwing ££££'s behind a 7yr old so he can race. Motorsport isn't like most sports in terms of the talent pool it can tap into, simply due to the costs and/or dedication required. If you're good and have backing, you've a much better chance of making it than somebody who is good at say golf or tennis - probably even football.

For every Lewis Hamilton, there will be 20 other kids out there just as (potentially) talented, but were severely limited as to what they could achieve in motorsport by money, parental guidance and geography (if you don't live within an hour of a kart track/racing facility - I don't think it makes it easier). I know myself, I'm in my mid 30's, and only just beginning to do grass roots motorsport as it has taken me this long to be in a position where I can even remotely afford to do it. No matter how talented I discover I am - the chances of me making it to professional motorsport are remote. By the time I establish myself I'll be pushing 40 (hypothetical - I am not particularly talented).

Hamilton may not of been born with a silver spoon, but he'd do well to remember he has carved out a career most kids could never do - even if they had his potential talent.

Prema
Posts: 6650
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Prema »

SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
Clarky wrote:I'm interested to read what people's thoughts as to what he owes F1 are!
Me, too. I personally agree with him. Lewis owes F1 nothing since he has given back to the sport by promoting it.
There may be one way to contest this sense of "owing" versus "not-owing". Ask the question: What Lewis Hamilton would be today in this world was there no sport of F1, and what the sport of F1 would be today in this world was there no Lewis Hamilton?
(I know, it is a hypothetical question, but still..)

And this second part of the question, it also offers some thought about the "promotional" part of Lewis.

User avatar
LKS1
Posts: 3863
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:22 am

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by LKS1 »

Prema wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
Clarky wrote:I'm interested to read what people's thoughts as to what he owes F1 are!
Me, too. I personally agree with him. Lewis owes F1 nothing since he has given back to the sport by promoting it.
There may be one way to contest this sense of "owing" versus "not-owing". Ask the question: What Lewis Hamilton would be today in this world was there no sport of F1, and what the sport of F1 would be today in this world was there no Lewis Hamilton?
(I know, it is a hypothetical question, but still..)

And this second part of the question, it also offers some thought about the "promotional" part of Lewis.
:thumbup: Agree entirely.

Pullrod
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Pullrod »

I suspect most of you were born in Europe but there are other parts of the world where kids/adults don't know about F1.

I watched my first F1 race because of Michael Schumacher. Only after that I found out what Ferrari was.

Lewis does/attends Oscar's after parties, Fashion weeks( in Paris, Milan, New York), SuperBowl, Grammy awards, TV Shows, and many many more. Hey, he even has landed himself a Cameo role in Zoolander 2.

The people who cares about Gossip will know him first, then they will ask/find out what he does for a living.

Ecclestone is a wise man so it is not a surprise he said not long ago that he wished he had 22 Hamiltons on the grid.

And for those who accuse Hamilton of just self promoting, I think that he is just enjoying his life. And I would do the exact same thing if I was him.
or may be you would prefer him to build his own museum, drink vodka at home with the millions he made in F1, watch the TV with his GF all day in his Posh apartment?
He is the only driver who is putting F1 name out there for those who knows ZERO about F1.
Who knows, Maybe Bernie is stupid and knows nothing about Business??

Bernie loves Vettel and is OK with Rosberg but Bernie wishes they was like Hamilton when the races end.
If anything, for all the work he does off the track, he should earn much much more than his colleagues.

Asphalt_World
Posts: 5177
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Asphalt_World »

Pullrod wrote:I suspect most of you were born in Europe but there are other parts of the world where kids/adults don't know about F1.

I watched my first F1 race because of Michael Schumacher. Only after that I found out what Ferrari was.

Lewis does/attends Oscar's after parties, Fashion weeks( in Paris, Milan, New York), SuperBowl, Grammy awards, TV Shows, and many many more. Hey, he even has landed himself a Cameo role in Zoolander 2.

The people who cares about Gossip will know him first, then they will ask/find out what he does for a living.

Ecclestone is a wise man so it is not a surprise he said not long ago that he wished he had 22 Hamiltons on the grid.

And for those who accuse Hamilton of just self promoting, I think that he is just enjoying his life. And I would do the exact same thing if I was him.
or may be you would prefer him to build his own museum, drink vodka at home with the millions he made in F1, watch the TV with his GF all day in his Posh apartment?
He is the only driver who is putting F1 name out there for those who knows ZERO about F1.
Who knows, Maybe Bernie is stupid and knows nothing about Business??

Bernie loves Vettel and is OK with Rosberg but Bernie wishes they was like Hamilton when the races end.
If anything, for all the work he does off the track, he should earn much much more than his colleagues.
Does Hamilton attend these events like the Oscars after parties because he want't to promote F1? I would suggest no.

I expect he attends them because for one, he's invited and enjoys them and 2, he's dated a big celeb which probably helped with the invites in the early days and now knows a lot of other Hollywood celebs.

Other drivers could probably do the same, but perhaps choose not to. I remember Eddie Irvine attending all sorts of big celeb bashes in the 90's. Don't remember him doing it for the sake of the sport though.

Yes, Hamilton attending these things helps the image of the sport for some, but to suggest he should earn more for it is bonkers. I do appreciate he's struggling with his mortgage though!
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Zoue
Posts: 25158
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Zoue »

Pullrod wrote:I suspect most of you were born in Europe but there are other parts of the world where kids/adults don't know about F1.

I watched my first F1 race because of Michael Schumacher. Only after that I found out what Ferrari was.

Lewis does/attends Oscar's after parties, Fashion weeks( in Paris, Milan, New York), SuperBowl, Grammy awards, TV Shows, and many many more. Hey, he even has landed himself a Cameo role in Zoolander 2.

The people who cares about Gossip will know him first, then they will ask/find out what he does for a living.

Ecclestone is a wise man so it is not a surprise he said not long ago that he wished he had 22 Hamiltons on the grid.

And for those who accuse Hamilton of just self promoting, I think that he is just enjoying his life. And I would do the exact same thing if I was him.
or may be you would prefer him to build his own museum, drink vodka at home with the millions he made in F1, watch the TV with his GF all day in his Posh apartment?
He is the only driver who is putting F1 name out there for those who knows ZERO about F1.
Who knows, Maybe Bernie is stupid and knows nothing about Business??

Bernie loves Vettel and is OK with Rosberg but Bernie wishes they was like Hamilton when the races end.
If anything, for all the work he does off the track, he should earn much much more than his colleagues.
The point about saying he just does it for himself is not to criticise him for that but to put into perspective that he's not doing anything particularly onerous for the sport. If he self promotes, then anything F1 "gets" is a by product. And if he does it for himself, then it can't be considered that he works harder than his colleagues on behalf of F1.

Example: if Lewis attends the Oscars (to use one of the examples you gave above) formally on behalf of F1 as a brand ambassador, then he can be said to be working for F1 and promoting them. But if he attends simply because he was invited due to his celebrity status, then he's not actively promoting F1 and any exposure F1 gets is accidental, as welcome as it may be. But in that event he can't remotely be said to be working. That's the difference people have been trying to point out on here. The things Lewis does because he wants to do them (no criticism implied) need to be viewed separately from things he does because F1 has asked him to.

And Lewis going out and having a very high public profile is as valid a life choice as someone else sitting at home. That's his business and he shouldn't be judged for that. But IMO it shouldn't be used as any kind of evidence of him working on behalf of F1.

User avatar
mcdo
Posts: 10289
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by mcdo »

Prema wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
Clarky wrote:I'm interested to read what people's thoughts as to what he owes F1 are!
Me, too. I personally agree with him. Lewis owes F1 nothing since he has given back to the sport by promoting it.
There may be one way to contest this sense of "owing" versus "not-owing". Ask the question: What Lewis Hamilton would be today in this world was there no sport of F1, and what the sport of F1 would be today in this world was there no Lewis Hamilton?
(I know, it is a hypothetical question, but still..)

And this second part of the question, it also offers some thought about the "promotional" part of Lewis.
You could say that about any driver. If you asked Kimi what he felt he owed F1 what do you think he'd say?
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

ALESI
Posts: 2418
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:36 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by ALESI »

Hamilton_Jar wrote:
ALESI wrote:Really the only reason he's the most 'famous' is because he dated a Pussycat Doll. It really wouldn't have mattered if he won 1 or 6 WDCs, that simple fact made him 'tabloid' fodder. By contrast Vettel lives in a tent in a field with his missus and hence hasn't captured the public at large's imagination. I find it strange that in this day and age, when sponsors want marketable personalities, that drivers seem to think just driving the car is enough.
Another thread where people can state there love for Hamilton or dislike.

Yep Hamilton is only famous because of a pussycat doll, when it's mostly men who watch the sport and I'm guessing mostly women who follow the pussycat dolls, could be wrong.
Hamilton's probably the most famous driver because he goes to lots of events, always in the British press because his British. Remember seeing Hamilton at the Super Bowl and I don't watch it that much.
Hamilton's always out and about doing things, going places, his a single man after all wouldn't we all be doing that.

He is the best promoter of the sport because his always about, whether he is a good promoter I don't know. Even as a Lewis fan sometimes I am thinking "oh Lewis" to some of the stuff I hear but to a non f1 fan they don't care about what Hamilton's saying about the sport, there just seeing his face out there and his a f1 driver.
I didn't say he's ONLY famous because he dated a Pussycat Doll. I said he's only the MOST famous because he dated a Pussycat Doll. More than a subtle difference. If Hamilton had done everything he has in his career right now but hadn't dated an international celebrity he would not be as famous, I don't see how anyone could think otherwise.
Similarly if Roman Grosjean (lets pick him at random) dated Adele (lets pick at random) then HE would easily be the most famous F1 driver, despite having not won a race, let alone a WDC.

Yes Hamilton goes to the Superbowl and Indy/Nascar races, and that is fair enough. But the reason it is so press worthy in the first place is because he was Mr Nicole Sherzinger for a while. If Vettel went to a Superbowl would it even get on the news?

You kind of missed the point of my post. I wouldn't argue that Hamilton probably is the best promoter of F1, because no one else does that much. My last point was that why don't drivers put themselves out there more? Kimi has carved himself a little niche as the bad-boy of F1 and managed to become the most popular driver out there while doing very little, and managed to cling on to his F1 career (and his paycheck) long after he's past his best.
But what if, say Ricciardo was to really go all out and promote himself (beyond F1), he could be a magnet for sponsors and his pay would rise accordingly. Being a great driver will get you a long way, but if you want top dollar you need to become a 'personality'. I don't get why the younger drivers don't seem to understand this, or do the teams keep them on tight leashes?
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

Siao7
Posts: 8889
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Siao7 »

Pullrod wrote:I suspect most of you were born in Europe but there are other parts of the world where kids/adults don't know about F1.

I watched my first F1 race because of Michael Schumacher. Only after that I found out what Ferrari was.

Lewis does/attends Oscar's after parties, Fashion weeks( in Paris, Milan, New York), SuperBowl, Grammy awards, TV Shows, and many many more. Hey, he even has landed himself a Cameo role in Zoolander 2.

The people who cares about Gossip will know him first, then they will ask/find out what he does for a living.

Ecclestone is a wise man so it is not a surprise he said not long ago that he wished he had 22 Hamiltons on the grid.

And for those who accuse Hamilton of just self promoting, I think that he is just enjoying his life. And I would do the exact same thing if I was him.
or may be you would prefer him to build his own museum, drink vodka at home with the millions he made in F1, watch the TV with his GF all day in his Posh apartment?

He is the only driver who is putting F1 name out there for those who knows ZERO about F1.
Who knows, Maybe Bernie is stupid and knows nothing about Business??

Bernie loves Vettel and is OK with Rosberg but Bernie wishes they was like Hamilton when the races end.
If anything, for all the work he does off the track, he should earn much much more than his colleagues.
You seriously didn't know what Ferrari was before MS? I find this hard to believe.

As for the bold part, the difference is that there are the drivers that choose to live a normal life, with their families. Don't they enjoy life? Or are they boring for electing to have... kids? It is not wrong to live his life, but he is indeed promoting himself as a brand. Good for him.

As for the "He is the only driver who is putting F1 name out there for those who knows ZERO about F1." I find it hard to prove, how do you substantiate this? It's not something you can easily prove.

Pullrod
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Pullrod »

ALESI wrote:
Hamilton_Jar wrote:
ALESI wrote:Really the only reason he's the most 'famous' is because he dated a Pussycat Doll. It really wouldn't have mattered if he won 1 or 6 WDCs, that simple fact made him 'tabloid' fodder. By contrast Vettel lives in a tent in a field with his missus and hence hasn't captured the public at large's imagination. I find it strange that in this day and age, when sponsors want marketable personalities, that drivers seem to think just driving the car is enough.
Another thread where people can state there love for Hamilton or dislike.

Yep Hamilton is only famous because of a pussycat doll, when it's mostly men who watch the sport and I'm guessing mostly women who follow the pussycat dolls, could be wrong.
Hamilton's probably the most famous driver because he goes to lots of events, always in the British press because his British. Remember seeing Hamilton at the Super Bowl and I don't watch it that much.
Hamilton's always out and about doing things, going places, his a single man after all wouldn't we all be doing that.

He is the best promoter of the sport because his always about, whether he is a good promoter I don't know. Even as a Lewis fan sometimes I am thinking "oh Lewis" to some of the stuff I hear but to a non f1 fan they don't care about what Hamilton's saying about the sport, there just seeing his face out there and his a f1 driver.
I didn't say he's ONLY famous because he dated a Pussycat Doll. I said he's only the MOST famous because he dated a Pussycat Doll. More than a subtle difference. If Hamilton had done everything he has in his career right now but hadn't dated an international celebrity he would not be as famous, I don't see how anyone could think otherwise.
Similarly if Roman Grosjean (lets pick him at random) dated Adele (lets pick at random) then HE would easily be the most famous F1 driver, despite having not won a race, let alone a WDC.

Yes Hamilton goes to the Superbowl and Indy/Nascar races, and that is fair enough. But the reason it is so press worthy in the first place is because he was Mr Nicole Sherzinger for a while. If Vettel went to a Superbowl would it even get on the news?

You kind of missed the point of my post. I wouldn't argue that Hamilton probably is the best promoter of F1, because no one else does that much. My last point was that why don't drivers put themselves out there more? Kimi has carved himself a little niche as the bad-boy of F1 and managed to become the most popular driver out there while doing very little, and managed to cling on to his F1 career (and his paycheck) long after he's past his best.
But what if, say Ricciardo was to really go all out and promote himself (beyond F1), he could be a magnet for sponsors and his pay would rise accordingly. Being a great driver will get you a long way, but if you want top dollar you need to become a 'personality'. I don't get why the younger drivers don't seem to understand this, or do the teams keep them on tight leashes?
Scherzinger has attended big parties, have been to very selective events because of Hamilton.
Just look at the press. Whenever there is an article about her, they menton Lewis Hamilton.

No doubt Pussycat dolls themselves have a lot of fans, but if it was not her, it would have been someone else like Rihanna, Cassie, or whatever singer/celebrity.
That is his type and he is not the only one
Lewis was the one with Power even though in 2008 he was a small kid compared to Nicole. But it was her who was after him at the beginning, not the opposite.
.

Pullrod
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by Pullrod »

Siao7 wrote:
Pullrod wrote:I suspect most of you were born in Europe but there are other parts of the world where kids/adults don't know about F1.

I watched my first F1 race because of Michael Schumacher. Only after that I found out what Ferrari was.

Lewis does/attends Oscar's after parties, Fashion weeks( in Paris, Milan, New York), SuperBowl, Grammy awards, TV Shows, and many many more. Hey, he even has landed himself a Cameo role in Zoolander 2.

The people who cares about Gossip will know him first, then they will ask/find out what he does for a living.

Ecclestone is a wise man so it is not a surprise he said not long ago that he wished he had 22 Hamiltons on the grid.

And for those who accuse Hamilton of just self promoting, I think that he is just enjoying his life. And I would do the exact same thing if I was him.
or may be you would prefer him to build his own museum, drink vodka at home with the millions he made in F1, watch the TV with his GF all day in his Posh apartment?

He is the only driver who is putting F1 name out there for those who knows ZERO about F1.
Who knows, Maybe Bernie is stupid and knows nothing about Business??

Bernie loves Vettel and is OK with Rosberg but Bernie wishes they was like Hamilton when the races end.
If anything, for all the work he does off the track, he should earn much much more than his colleagues.

You seriously didn't know what Ferrari was before MS? I find this hard to believe.


As for the bold part, the difference is that there are the drivers that choose to live a normal life, with their families. Don't they enjoy life? Or are they boring for electing to have... kids? It is not wrong to live his life, but he is indeed promoting himself as a brand. Good for him.

As for the "He is the only driver who is putting F1 name out there for those who knows ZERO about F1." I find it hard to prove, how do you substantiate this? It's not something you can easily prove.
It depends on where you come from and how you grew up.
And the fact that Ferrari had not won for 16 years before Schumacher didn't help.

F1 is a niche(compared to Football) sports and is nowhere as popular as people think it is.

p.s: the first Supercar I saw(in a magazine) was a Yellow Lamborghini Diablo. But only because PlayBoy/Penthouse like magazines liked to photograph models around it. ;)
Last edited by Pullrod on Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

aice
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:37 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by aice »

ALESI wrote:
Hamilton_Jar wrote:
ALESI wrote:Really the only reason he's the most 'famous' is because he dated a Pussycat Doll. It really wouldn't have mattered if he won 1 or 6 WDCs, that simple fact made him 'tabloid' fodder. By contrast Vettel lives in a tent in a field with his missus and hence hasn't captured the public at large's imagination. I find it strange that in this day and age, when sponsors want marketable personalities, that drivers seem to think just driving the car is enough.
Another thread where people can state there love for Hamilton or dislike.

Yep Hamilton is only famous because of a pussycat doll, when it's mostly men who watch the sport and I'm guessing mostly women who follow the pussycat dolls, could be wrong.
Hamilton's probably the most famous driver because he goes to lots of events, always in the British press because his British. Remember seeing Hamilton at the Super Bowl and I don't watch it that much.
Hamilton's always out and about doing things, going places, his a single man after all wouldn't we all be doing that.

He is the best promoter of the sport because his always about, whether he is a good promoter I don't know. Even as a Lewis fan sometimes I am thinking "oh Lewis" to some of the stuff I hear but to a non f1 fan they don't care about what Hamilton's saying about the sport, there just seeing his face out there and his a f1 driver.
I didn't say he's ONLY famous because he dated a Pussycat Doll. I said he's only the MOST famous because he dated a Pussycat Doll. More than a subtle difference. If Hamilton had done everything he has in his career right now but hadn't dated an international celebrity he would not be as famous, I don't see how anyone could think otherwise.
Similarly if Roman Grosjean (lets pick him at random) dated Adele (lets pick at random) then HE would easily be the most famous F1 driver, despite having not won a race, let alone a WDC.

Yes Hamilton goes to the Superbowl and Indy/Nascar races, and that is fair enough. But the reason it is so press worthy in the first place is because he was Mr Nicole Sherzinger for a while. If Vettel went to a Superbowl would it even get on the news?

You kind of missed the point of my post. I wouldn't argue that Hamilton probably is the best promoter of F1, because no one else does that much. My last point was that why don't drivers put themselves out there more? Kimi has carved himself a little niche as the bad-boy of F1 and managed to become the most popular driver out there while doing very little, and managed to cling on to his F1 career (and his paycheck) long after he's past his best.
But what if, say Ricciardo was to really go all out and promote himself (beyond F1), he could be a magnet for sponsors and his pay would rise accordingly. Being a great driver will get you a long way, but if you want top dollar you need to become a 'personality'. I don't get why the younger drivers don't seem to understand this, or do the teams keep them on tight leashes?
I think being F1's first black driver, and his exceptional talent/rookie season, was also a big factor on Lewis initially becoming so "newsworthy"...it's really just snowballed from there. And as for who is the most popular, again that really would depend upon what barometer you want to measure by. But these are not really the points i want to pick on. You have raised a very valid issue---why aren't the other drivers doing more to put themselves out there? It's been touched upon by Bernie and indeed other high profile figures with-in F1. Even if you want to be cynical and question Lewis's motives (by the way, i have seen quite a few USA interviews where Lewis' main focus has indeed been on talking up the racing/F1)---Lewis is OUT there, doing, attending, making appearances, interviews-bringing attention to the sport in the process. Maybe the real issue is this perceived lack of effort by the other drivers. Maybe the real question should be why aren't the others doing more?
You just need to be accepted for who you are and be proud of who you are and that is what I'm trying to do.
Lewis Hamilton

F1_Ernie
Posts: 3775
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: Hamilton best promoter of the sport of all time?

Post by F1_Ernie »

ALESI wrote:
Hamilton_Jar wrote:
ALESI wrote:Really the only reason he's the most 'famous' is because he dated a Pussycat Doll. It really wouldn't have mattered if he won 1 or 6 WDCs, that simple fact made him 'tabloid' fodder. By contrast Vettel lives in a tent in a field with his missus and hence hasn't captured the public at large's imagination. I find it strange that in this day and age, when sponsors want marketable personalities, that drivers seem to think just driving the car is enough.
Another thread where people can state there love for Hamilton or dislike.

Yep Hamilton is only famous because of a pussycat doll, when it's mostly men who watch the sport and I'm guessing mostly women who follow the pussycat dolls, could be wrong.
Hamilton's probably the most famous driver because he goes to lots of events, always in the British press because his British. Remember seeing Hamilton at the Super Bowl and I don't watch it that much.
Hamilton's always out and about doing things, going places, his a single man after all wouldn't we all be doing that.

He is the best promoter of the sport because his always about, whether he is a good promoter I don't know. Even as a Lewis fan sometimes I am thinking "oh Lewis" to some of the stuff I hear but to a non f1 fan they don't care about what Hamilton's saying about the sport, there just seeing his face out there and his a f1 driver.
I didn't say he's ONLY famous because he dated a Pussycat Doll. I said he's only the MOST famous because he dated a Pussycat Doll. More than a subtle difference. If Hamilton had done everything he has in his career right now but hadn't dated an international celebrity he would not be as famous, I don't see how anyone could think otherwise.
Similarly if Roman Grosjean (lets pick him at random) dated Adele (lets pick at random) then HE would easily be the most famous F1 driver, despite having not won a race, let alone a WDC.

Yes Hamilton goes to the Superbowl and Indy/Nascar races, and that is fair enough. But the reason it is so press worthy in the first place is because he was Mr Nicole Sherzinger for a while. If Vettel went to a Superbowl would it even get on the news?

You kind of missed the point of my post. I wouldn't argue that Hamilton probably is the best promoter of F1, because no one else does that much. My last point was that why don't drivers put themselves out there more? Kimi has carved himself a little niche as the bad-boy of F1 and managed to become the most popular driver out there while doing very little, and managed to cling on to his F1 career (and his paycheck) long after he's past his best.
But what if, say Ricciardo was to really go all out and promote himself (beyond F1), he could be a magnet for sponsors and his pay would rise accordingly. Being a great driver will get you a long way, but if you want top dollar you need to become a 'personality'. I don't get why the younger drivers don't seem to understand this, or do the teams keep them on tight leashes?
Yes I got the first bit wrong.

So you reckon Lewis was on the Super Bowl because of Nicole and not because he has just become 3 time champion? I'm sure I watched the British coverage so if they could get Hamilton on there then of course they will, I'm also sure they had various stars jumping in for a chat.
If Vettel was there and they had the chance to get him on the show I bet they would. A 4 time f1 world champion. It's just Hamilton's the one who likes to go to these events, enjoy other sports and have a good time. Good for him, I would do exactly the same.

So if Grosjean dated Adele but they never went to events, parties etc he would be the most famous driver. I doubt it somehow, Hamilton has got his face/brand whatever you want to call it out there without the help of Nicole.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Post Reply