Rosberg
57%
Vettel
7%

Total votes: 68

j man

Re: Who will win the WDC?

Post by j man »

There are plenty of races left and the past three years suggest that Hamilton will have the upper hand in most of them. I'd still back Lewis for the title at this stage.

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

I think a really important question is how many more races will Rosberg have to win and how many of them will have to demonstrate that he can regularly beat Hamilton in a fair fight before anyone who isn't currently backing Rosberg would start believing that he will become the world champion? Will some only admit it's even possible when the mathematics mean that the championship is decided?

Badgeronimous

Post by Badgeronimous »

Rosberg, in the last 8 races he's been beaten once, and retired from the lead once. His one defeat (Austin) came by way of stupid mistake when leading, he would likely of won the race in Russia he retired from.

That is championship form. However, with Rosberg we will see how he copes when it isn't going as well as it has. Historically Rosberg has shown himself to weaker under pressure than other top drivers.

Hamilton will almost certainly go on a run where he wins say 4 out of 5. We'll see how Rosberg copes when that happens.

TheDamus

Post by TheDamus »

lamo wrote:
TheDamus wrote:I was a Hamilton believer. Now I am a Rosberg believer. Unless Rosberg DNFs in the next three races and Hamilton wins 2/3 (without Rosberg winning the other one) I think Rosberg will have it in the bag.
Not disputed your opinion, but did you believe in Rosberg when he was 29 points ahead with 7 races to go in 2014? Then he was also displaying he could beat Hamilton on track, something he hasn't done this year being 2-0 down in qualifying and them not going head to head in a race yet.

Well I don't think it is over yet. I do think that if Rosberg doesn't DNF once in the next three races without Hamilton winning 2/3 I will be saying otherwise.
Basically, it isn't the number of points he is ahead by. It is the number of straight wins he has had. It is the number of FP sessions where Rosberg is ahead recently. Also, I really feel that Ferrari and even Red Bull will be taking 1/3 of the wins this year. That is a lot of points Hamilton can't get over Rosberg. Hamilton also seems to be struggling with his starts more.

Mostly it is a gut feeling I have.
Proudly supporting Force India first, Lewis Hamilton second.

stevey

Post by stevey »

Hamilton all the way

slide

Post by slide »

450 points still there to collect so 36 points behind is nothing

lamo

Post by lamo »

Zoue wrote:
lamo wrote:
TheDamus wrote:I was a Hamilton believer. Now I am a Rosberg believer. Unless Rosberg DNFs in the next three races and Hamilton wins 2/3 (without Rosberg winning the other one) I think Rosberg will have it in the bag.
Not disputed your opinion, but did you believe in Rosberg when he was 29 points ahead with 7 races to go in 2014? Then he was also displaying he could beat Hamilton on track, something he hasn't done this year being 2-0 down in qualifying and them not going head to head in a race yet.
I'd say he beat Hamilton on track in Australia. They both had equal opportunities to progress but Nico did a better (some would say less bad) start and had the better race overall. The next two races Lewis suffered misfortune (even though he was again fairly beaten by Nico off the line) but in Australia he was beaten fair and square.

I would rate Lewis higher than Nico and if I were a betting man I'd put money on Lewis to beat Nico every time. But credit where credit's due and Nico has done a better job overall so far this year.
Sure he beat him. But after lap one, Nico was 2nd and Lewis 7th. He would beat him under those circumstances at any time during the entire period they are team mates. My point is - he hasn't displayed he is any better than 2014 and 2015 on track. Nico will always beat Lewis in these cases with 5 cars between them and on a track with no overtaking.

I am talking about actual performance level on track, not beating a team mate because you (fairy) squeezed him off track and he lost 4 places and was in traffic all afternoon. For all we know the gap between Hamilton and Rosberg on race day might be bigger than ever.
Last edited by lamo on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

lamo

Post by lamo »

RaggedMan wrote:
lamo wrote:
How have they not gone head to head in a race yet this year? Near is I can recall they both qualified and started from the front row at each of the first 2 races.
Which of the Mercedes drivers has a better race pace in 2016? You don't know, why, because we haven't seen them in competition with one another yet. Except for the run down to turn 1 in races 1 and 2. We can conclude Rosberg is the better start from the first 2 races, from then on they haven't race each other. Hamilton has been in traffic destroying his tyres the entire season thus far.

Has Nico done anything on track in 2016 to convince you he will be 2016 champion? Any different to 2014/2015? If the points reset to 0 right now and the season continued would you bet he would win it based on what you have seen?

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

lamo wrote:
Zoue wrote:
lamo wrote:
I'd say he beat Hamilton on track in Australia. They both had equal opportunities to progress but Nico did a better (some would say less bad) start and had the better race overall. The next two races Lewis suffered misfortune (even though he was again fairly beaten by Nico off the line) but in Australia he was beaten fair and square.

I would rate Lewis higher than Nico and if I were a betting man I'd put money on Lewis to beat Nico every time. But credit where credit's due and Nico has done a better job overall so far this year.
Sure he beat him. But after lap one, Nico was 2nd and Lewis 7th. He would beat him under those circumstances at any time during the entire period they are team mates. My point is - he hasn't displayed he is any better than 2014 and 2015 on track. Nico will always beat Lewis in these cases with 5 cars between them and on a track with no overtaking.

I am talking about actual performance level on track, not beating a team mate because you (fairy) squeezed him off track and he lost 4 places and was in traffic all afternoon. For all we know the gap between Hamilton and Rosberg on race day might be bigger than ever.
I have to disagree - the start is a crucial part of the race. And Nico has looked more confident in this area against Lewis than he ever has. Especially when you compare to last year's Suzuka or COTA. That is something he's doing better and it has won him races

Saying that, a sample size of 2 is too small to make judgement so this debate is largely pointless at this point of the season
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

lamo

Post by lamo »

As you say the sample size is too small and in terms of looking more confident, you are basing it off 1 race? Australia and he had to go to the inside as that is where he was naturally positioned off the grid.

As a Lewis fan if he had won the first 3 races in this fashion I would be worried at why he was 2-0 down in qualifying and not yet shown he was quicker in the races. I wouldn't have confidence in him as being quicker, the opposite.

Its the same as 2014 when people here talked up Nico when Lewis had basically won every race he had finished in or not hit trouble but Nico lead the championship as Lewis had 2 DNFs and Nico 0. People on here and even pundits (Murray Walker) were saying how great Nico is driving, how he has the upper hand etc etc.

Having said that, the end of 2015 Nico was superb and if he had won the first 3 races this year in that fashion - I would bet he would win the title. He DID out class Hamilton then. Maybe he is quicker than Lewis this year, maybe he isn't? The fact is, we simply don't know. But we will know pretty soon as these "freak" races will stop sooner or later. The big trend is, if Hamilton is quicker in qualifying he is usually always quicker in the race. If Nico is quicker in qualifying, Hamilton can still have a much better race pace than him.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

lamo wrote:
Zoue wrote:
lamo wrote:

Ferrari gifted the win to Merc in Australia.

Regarding race pace no one has any idea. I reckon the next DNF could decide this title already. Rosberg already hasn't had to put any real pressure on his car which could play a part later in the season. It's all falling Rosbergs way so far.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

mcdo wrote:
lamo wrote:
Zoue wrote:
lamo wrote:

I have to disagree - the start is a crucial part of the race. And Nico has looked more confident in this area against Lewis than he ever has. Especially when you compare to last year's Suzuka or COTA. That is something he's doing better and it has won him races

Saying that, a sample size of 2 is too small to make judgement so this debate is largely pointless at this point of the season
While I think it's justifiable to say Rosberg fairly beat Hamilton in Aus, beating Hamilton because he made a horlicks of the start is different to beating him in a race where neither driver makes an error. And I think that was the point being made. That fir one reason or another Nico hasn't had to do that very often.

steoc4

Post by steoc4 »

lamo wrote:
Zoue wrote:
lamo wrote:

Ok, so if races where your team-mate has a bad start or has something go wrong don't count, then when was the last time Lewis actually beat Nico? His last win was at Austin where Nico went off from the lead. Before that it was Russia where Nico's car broke down from the lead. Then there was Japan where Rosberg had overheating problems and lost a bunch of positions off the start from pole. Before that was Italy where Nico had engine problems. And before that was Belgium where Nico again had a bad start and dropped to 5th off the line.

You basically have to go back to Silverstone 9 months ago to find the last time Lewis beat Nico by your criteria (and even there Nico had a bad start and ended up with a Williams between him and Hamilton, and generally had better race pace than Lewis once in clean air, but we'll count it since Lewis did get pole) - so if you haven't seen anything to make you think Nico can beat Lewis fairly in recent races, what on earth have you seen to make you think Lewis can beat Nico and come back in the championship?

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

mikeyg123 wrote:
mcdo wrote:
lamo wrote:
Zoue wrote:
lamo wrote:Not disputed your opinion, but did you believe in Rosberg when he was 29 points ahead with 7 races to go in 2014? Then he was also displaying he could beat Hamilton on track, something he hasn't done this year being 2-0 down in qualifying and them not going head to head in a race yet.

While I think it's justifiable to say Rosberg fairly beat Hamilton in Aus, beating Hamilton because he made a horlicks of the start is different to beating him in a race where neither driver makes an error. And I think that was the point being made. That fir one reason or another Nico hasn't had to do that very often.
Why should Lewis making a bad start not count?

Reminds me of Hungary last year. Lewis made a balls of the start and drove a miserable race. Nico? Still managed to finish behind him.

2016 Nico has been having none of it so far. Lewis has been making errors and Nico has been capitalizing on his mistakes
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

I don't think it's about whether things count or not, we are still waiting to see a race between the two Merc drivers and we can say there nearest rivals. It's all fallen to Rosbergs feet atm so let's see when the pressure is on and hope for a good fight, that's a big hope with Mercs strategiest.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

mcdo wrote:]
Why should Lewis making a bad start not count?

Reminds me of Hungary last year. Lewis made a balls of the start and drove a miserable race. Nico? Still managed to finish behind him.

2016 Nico has been having none of it so far. Lewis has been making errors and Nico has been capitalizing on his mistakes
I never said it didn't count? I said it wasn't a head to head race where we could judge relative pace.

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

I wonder if similar disclaimers about how we "haven't been able to compare pace" were floating around when Lewis won in Suzuka after barging Nico off the circuit.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

KingVoid wrote:I wonder if similar disclaimers about how we "haven't been able to compare pace" were floating around when Lewis won in Suzuka after barging Nico off the circuit.
We didn't really need to discuss it because we had seen Hamilton beat Nico for pace for most of the season. I can't remember though did Rosberg stay second?

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

j man wrote:There are plenty of races left and the past three years suggest that Hamilton will have the upper hand in most of them. I'd still back Lewis for the title at this stage.

Yes, that is true, but the championship does not have to go to the one with the upper hand this year. Let's not forget that in 2014, while Lewis was clearly better most of the year, if Lewis's car had broken in the final race instead of Nico's, Nico would have been world champion. Despite being outraced all year.
In my opinion it will come down to whose car breaks less this year.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

mikeyg123 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:I wonder if similar disclaimers about how we "haven't been able to compare pace" were floating around when Lewis won in Suzuka after barging Nico off the circuit.
We didn't really need to discuss it because we had seen Hamilton beat Nico for pace for most of the season. I can't remember though did Rosberg stay second?
No, he dropped back and had to deal with an overheating car; he eventually passed Vettel for 2nd, somewhere late in the race. By then Lewis had opened up an insurmountable gap.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
No, he dropped back and had to deal with an overheating car; he eventually passed Vettel for 2nd, somewhere late in the race. By then Lewis had opened up an insurmountable gap.
Well then it would be very hard to compare their genuine pace against one another. It's still not quite the same as a driver A being second after the first lap and driver B being 7th and then pointing at them after a 1-2 saying we can conclude driver A had better pace.

Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

I honestly think Rosberg is the most likely at this point. He's got a nice lead already, both in terms of races won/points haul and psychologically, and if he can manage to capitalise on that it should be highly possible. He's been on very good form thus far since Austin last year, and -- particularly if Hamilton keeps being the recipient of bad luck -- ought to be able to keep it up. I'm betting that it is going to be close either way, though, and I'm by no means ruling out a Hamilton comeback and victory.

I think there's an outside chance that they'll end up scrapping enough that somebody else is able to pick up the pieces, but considering that Ferrari reliability has thus far been something of an issue this year, I'm not sure that Vettel will be in a good position to do so if that happens.
Image + 2020
Qualifying Prediction 2019 Champion [8 wins]
Top Three 2019 Third, Team First [Drive Sauber]
Top Three 2020 First, Team First [Drive Sauber]
Group Pick 'Em 2020 Second Place [2 wins]

Bentrovato

Post by Bentrovato »

I picked Rosberg at the beginning of the season but with that Mercedes, anything is possible for either of them to win. The difference I see is that after Hamilton clinched the title last season, he checked out while Rosberg understood he needed to elevate. He hasn't stopped winning since. I know people think Hamilton is the greatest, or Vettel or Alonso but in F1 these guys have all very similar ability.

It's the mental state that determines what you can overcome throughout the year. Rosberg just seems more level-headed this season. I love Lewis' snapchat but he keeps flying back to NYC to record his music in between races. They both do a ton of promotions for Merc but Hamilton is really pushing it and I think it gives Nico the edge if he can stay focussed for the rest of the season.

babararacucudada

Post by babararacucudada »

Hamilton has done 1 race on his second engine.

Nico has done 3 on his first engine.

Infinite

Post by Infinite »

Rosberg will be World Champion end of story. It pains me to say this as a Hamilton fan but Alonso, Vettel and Ricciardo would beat Rosberg with ease.

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

Infinite wrote:Rosberg will be World Champion end of story. It pains me to say this as a Hamilton fan but Alonso, Vettel and Ricciardo would beat Rosberg with ease.
You can't really beat your team mate with ease when you're in a car as dominant as the Mercedes has been. Poor qualifying and/or race and you're still likely to be only 2nd at worst. There just isn't the scope to punish your team mate's mistakes by putting a lot of points and positions between you without poor reliability or bad luck.

And reliability and some bad luck can wipe out any lead anyway because your team mate is likely to get 25 points for it.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

Vettel Fan wrote:Ferrari have made improvements since last year but still seems like they are 1/4 second or more off from Mercedes during quali. Unless they can find more pace I don't see them as a threat for the championship. A threat at occasional races, yes.
Hamilton is a better driver than Rosberg imo so I would go with him.
Its a long season lots can happen.
1/4th of a sec ?? I think at least 0.5secs off if not more. In China, qualifying was not completely dry. In races they are closer but may be Mercedes is not pushing that much during races so far. But according to this the upgraded engine is ready for next race. So they are really pushing:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns33637.html
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Vettel Fan wrote:Ferrari have vde improvements since last year but still seems like they are 1/4 second or more off from Mercedes during quali. Unless they can find more pace I don't see them as a threat for the championship. A threat at occasional races, yes.
1/4th of a sec ?? I think at least 0.5secs off if not more. In China, qualifying was not completely dry. In races they are closer but may be Mercedes is not pushing that much during races so far. But according to this the upgraded engine is ready for next race. So they are really pushing:
There was a lot of time left on the table in China. Both Vettel and Kimi lost a bunch of time at the hairpin. It would have been a lot closer if they hadn't. Pole was possible.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Vettel Fan wrote:Ferrari have vde improvements since last year but still seems like they are 1/4 second or more off from Mercedes during quali. Unless they can find more pace I don't see them as a threat for the championship. A threat at occasional races, yes.
There was a lot of time left on the table in China. Both Vettel and Kimi lost a bunch of time at the hairpin. It would have been a lot closer if they hadn't. Pole was possible.

jimmyj

Post by jimmyj »

It will be a merc driver for sure, I think we all know that. I voted Nico because I think he is hungrier than Lewis. I think Hammy is actually a better driver but feel he is spreading his interests due to already achieving such a high level of success and Nico is more desperate to still make his mark.

Totally guessing really though, I hope it's a good scrap the rest of the season.

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

Had another look at Ladbrokes' odds for the WDC and Nico has come in to 3/4 whilst Hamilton has gone out to 11/8

F1Oz

Post by F1Oz »

If Rosberg loses it from here - it will be one of the greatest chokes in F1 history given the dominance of the Merc

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

You said this exact thing earlier in the thread. I'm surprised you didn't think it made you look ridiculous enough the first time -
mikeyg123 wrote:
F1Oz wrote:If Rosberg loses it from here - it will be one of the greatest chokes in F1 history
Seriously?

I don't even think it could be in anyway described as a choke if Hamilton slowly reals him in overhauls over the remaining 18 races.

Rosberg is only a win and a 4th ahead.

2014 - Rosberg was further ahead that that with only 7 races to go
2012 - Alonso was futher ahead of Vettel with only 9 races to go.
2010 - Hamilton was almost as far ahead of Vettel with only 6 races to go.
2007 - Hamilton was futher ahead of Raikkonen with only 2 races to go.
2003 - Raikkonen was further ahead of Schumacher with 14 races to go.

That is just in recent times. I'm not sure you thought it through.

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

mikeyg123 wrote:You said this exact thing earlier in the thread. I'm surprised you didn't think it made you look ridiculous enough the first time -
mikeyg123 wrote:
F1Oz wrote:If Rosberg loses it from here - it will be one of the greatest chokes in F1 history
Seriously?

I don't even think it could be in anyway described as a choke if Hamilton slowly reals him in overhauls over the remaining 18 races.

Rosberg is only a win and a 4th ahead.

2014 - Rosberg was further ahead that that with only 7 races to go
2012 - Alonso was futher ahead of Vettel with only 9 races to go.
2010 - Hamilton was almost as far ahead of Vettel with only 6 races to go.
2007 - Hamilton was futher ahead of Raikkonen with only 2 races to go.
2003 - Raikkonen was further ahead of Schumacher with 14 races to go.

That is just in recent times. I'm not sure you thought it through.
Thank god for that - I thought I was experiencing deja vu!

lamo

Post by lamo »

F1Oz wrote:If Rosberg loses it from here - it will be one of the greatest chokes in F1 history given the dominance of the Merc
That is nonsense, he is 36 points clear with 18 races to go. He is a single DNF with Lewis winning to it being close.

Alonso was 44 points clear with 7 races to go in 2012. Raikkonen was 17 points which is 43 points behind with 3 races to go in 2007.