Rosberg
57%
Vettel
7%

Total votes: 68

lamo

Who will win the WDC?

Post by lamo »

Always good to see how fickle we can all be...

Before the first race the poll was Hamilton at over 60%
So lets see it three races in and how it swings through the season.

My vote goes to Hamilton, however if he has a DNF in the next few races and Nico wins it Nico would become my favourite if he gets a 60+ point lead.

TheDamus

Re: Who will win the WDC?

Post by TheDamus »

I was a Hamilton believer. Now I am a Rosberg believer. Unless Rosberg DNFs in the next three races and Hamilton wins 2/3 (without Rosberg winning the other one) I think Rosberg will have it in the bag.
Proudly supporting Force India first, Lewis Hamilton second.

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

Still think Hamilton.

18 races is a huge amount and unreliability has tended to even out between the pair over their time together. Also as Ferrari and Red Bull get stronger there might be a chance to join the fight for the top step depending on track characteristics and I lean towards Nico losing out to Seb,Ric or Rai more than Lewis.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

TheDamus wrote:I was a Hamilton believer. Now I am a Rosberg believer. Unless Rosberg DNFs in the next three races and Hamilton wins 2/3 (without Rosberg winning the other one) I think Rosberg will have it in the bag.
The next three races don't matter. There are 18 races left in the season. That's plenty of time. Voted Hamilton and haven't changed my mind.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Well statistically Hamilton has outscored Rosberg 1.13:1 over their career. If he "only" continues to do that for the remaining 18 races, it wont be enough. That will only claw back 20 of 36 point deficit. He has to start outscoring him on av 2 pts/race to claim the title.

36 pts is a lot but one dnf for Rosberg and a win for Lewis would reduce it to just 11 so it's a long way from over. I'm just hoping it stays close, I love seeing drivers swap at the head of the standings.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Lord Crc

Post by Lord Crc »

If Rosberg doesn't mess up under pressure, like he's done earlier, and ignoring any DNFs (on either side), it's Rosbergs to lose.

Of course with all the races left, a lot can happen. Red Bull was surprisingly strong in China, if the engine update this summer gives them a solid boost, they could very well be up there with Ferrari, picking up any scraps handed their way, amplifying the consequences of mistakes, mechanical issues and accidents.

Gumption

Post by Gumption »

Rosberg hasn't been mentally strong against Hamilton the past couple seasons so I'm still thinking Hamilton will take this title. Hopefully Rosberg has learned from his past mistakes but I've been saying that for years and am still waiting.

With the stronger Red Bull coming as well as Ferrari it could shake this up with Mercedes as soon as they aren't guaranteed front row lockouts... assuming and hoping that it actually happens.

f1newbie

Post by f1newbie »

As a huge Hamilton fan I have voted for him........ However something inside me even before this season began has had a sinking feeling that Rosberg will do it this year and sooner or later Hamilton is going to lose the plot (like in 2011 with massa) I really hope I'm wrong

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

Hamilton will still take it I think. Rosberg has had some great drives recently, but he had also had a great run of luck to go with it. Hamilton's luck had been webber-esque lately. As luck comes in swings and round abouts it is sure to swing the other way at some point and once it's all evened out I expect Hamilton to be on top.

It's still very much a two horse race this year for the title.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

Vettel.
Still think he's the best driver out of the top 3, and I actually think Ferrari is more or less a match for Mercedes, even in qualifying. Ferrari's turbo problem will be solved, Mercedes drivers will battle even harder now, now that Rosberg leads.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

No love for Ricciardo or Kimi? :-((
eeee

Multi69

Post by Multi69 »

Why Vettel? I think Daniel Ricciardo should have been the third option to be honest.

mds

Post by mds »

Multi69 wrote:Why Vettel? I think Daniel Ricciardo should have been the third option to be honest.
The RBR is not as good as the Ferrari, and both times Vettel finished he did it ahead of Ricciardo. That won't always be the case throughout the season, but still, the Ferrari is the better car.

Anyway, still voted Hamilton. He's the better driver, I have no doubt, and it only takes one DNF for Rosberg for Hamilton to be right there again. 36 points may seem huge but it is 14 points in old money - remember 2007 when Hamilton lost more than that to Raikkonen in just two races (and lost the title).
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

I honestly cannot believe that some people on here are pretending as if Rosberg's 36 point lead has somehow decided anything.

Most drivers don't think about the WDC until after the summer break. Before that, it's just trying to get the maximum result in each and every weekend.

mds

Post by mds »

KingVoid wrote:I honestly cannot believe that some people on here are pretending as if Rosberg's 36 point lead has somehow decided anything.

Most drivers don't think about the WDC until after the summer break. Before that, it's just trying to get the maximum result in each and every weekend.
2012 standings after Germany (race 10 out of 20):
1 Fernando Alonso 154
2 Mark Webber 120
3 Sebastian Vettel 110

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

KingVoid wrote:I honestly cannot believe that some people on here are pretending as if Rosberg's 36 point lead has somehow decided anything.

Well Rosberg won 6 races in a row too.
eeee

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

If things stay as they are with the car pecking order, then Hamilton. I just don't think Nico has it in him to fight Lewis consistently on equal terms and the points difference is by no means insurmountable at this stage. One DNF by Nico in a race Lewis wins brings the latter right in the game.

If the rumoured turbo upgrade by Ferrari in Spain really does give them the claimed 0.5s per lap then I wouldn't rule out Vettel as an outside shot. I think ultimately he's better than both Mercedes drivers and if he has equal equipment then I think the Merc boys will stop having things their own way, especially in qualifying. Would be interesting to see a proper fight at the front.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

I have a sneaky feeling Rosberg will take it! As good as Lewis is, he has fallen into that Alonso kind of mentality dismissing your direct opponent to play mind games.
Now what people fail to see is Rosberg is having a Vettel like '13 season whereby when he's winning others behind are tripping over themselves.
Also people insisting if Rosberg has a DNF, you should be more worried about Hamilton having a DNF.
Even with a DNF Rosberg will still lead the standings.

DarkoA

Post by DarkoA »

Lewis going for #4!

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

I would like Rosberg to win, but I can't help but think it will be Hamilton. And we'll never hear the end of it.
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

babararacucudada

Post by babararacucudada »

Hamilton's biggest weakness is that he hates to be beaten by Rosberg. He feels it shouldn't happen.

Rosberg has had 7 of the last 9 pole positions and won the last 6 races. If people start talking about Rosberg being better than Hamilton, that will be very difficult for Hamilton to deal with.
I think it depends on a few things.

Will Rosberg qualify on pole on enough occasions (or out-start Hamilton to the first corner). Recent races suggest yes.

Is Rosberg's racecraft better now. I think there is evidence in the last 6 races of that.

Is Rosberg going to be more ruthless now. I don't know about that. I was disappointed to hear Rosberg say that if what Lewis said about contact in Australia was true, he would apologise. It wasn't true, but Rosberg saying that, resulted in headlines saying Rosberg apologises for contact with Hamilton. I think Rosberg is entitled to go out of his way to shove Hamilton off the track, as Hamilton has done to him on previous occasions, in Hungary and the USA.

Will Hamilton drive worse because Rosberg is doing well. Hamilton has shown a more measured and thoughtful attitude for the last year and a bit, so is less likely to crack, but being beaten by Rosberg is a very big issue for him, and if public opinion goes in favour of Rosberg being the better driver, I think that is going to be very difficult for Hamilton to handle.

The other factor will be luck.

lamo

Post by lamo »

TheDamus wrote:I was a Hamilton believer. Now I am a Rosberg believer. Unless Rosberg DNFs in the next three races and Hamilton wins 2/3 (without Rosberg winning the other one) I think Rosberg will have it in the bag.
Not disputed your opinion, but did you believe in Rosberg when he was 29 points ahead with 7 races to go in 2014? Then he was also displaying he could beat Hamilton on track, something he hasn't done this year being 2-0 down in qualifying and them not going head to head in a race yet.

lamo

Post by lamo »

sandman1347 wrote:
The next three races don't matter. There are 18 races left in the season. That's plenty of time. Voted Hamilton and haven't changed my mind.
I think they do, there is only so far you can full behind. If Hamilton was 80 points behind would you agree it would be over? Rosberg lost both titles in the last two years by much less points than that.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

lamo wrote:
Not disputed your opinion, but did you believe in Rosberg when he was 29 points ahead with 7 races to go in 2014? Then he was also displaying he could beat Hamilton on track, something he hasn't done this year being 2-0 down in qualifying and them not going head to head in a race yet.
I'd say he beat Hamilton on track in Australia. They both had equal opportunities to progress but Nico did a better (some would say less bad) start and had the better race overall. The next two races Lewis suffered misfortune (even though he was again fairly beaten by Nico off the line) but in Australia he was beaten fair and square.

I would rate Lewis higher than Nico and if I were a betting man I'd put money on Lewis to beat Nico every time. But credit where credit's due and Nico has done a better job overall so far this year.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

lamo wrote:
How have they not gone head to head in a race yet this year? Near is I can recall they both qualified and started from the front row at each of the first 2 races.
{Insert clever sig line here}

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

Right now I would still lean towards Lewis. 36 points feels like quite a bit but it isn't even 10% of what remains available and right now, I would still expect Lewis to outscore Nico over those remaining races. Saying that, if Nico can stretch his lead to 50+ points by the time the F1 circus departs Monaco then at that point I would say he's the guy most likely to win it.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

RaggedMan wrote:
lamo wrote:
How have they not gone head to head in a race yet this year? Near is I can recall they both qualified and started from the front row at each of the first 2 races.
They did, but to be fair Lewis was collected by Bottas in race two which severely compromised his ability to challenge Nico. Race one was down to his own poor start.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

My head says Hamilton but the first 3 races have given me a gut feeling it may be Rosberg's year.

I'll vote Rosberg but let's see... it only takes a gust of wind.

babararacucudada

Post by babararacucudada »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:My head says Hamilton but the first 3 races have given me a gut feeling it may be Rosberg's year.

I'll vote Rosberg but let's see... it only takes a gust of wind.
:]

- or to see the team getting ready for a pitstop.

bcm70

Post by bcm70 »

Zoue wrote: by Bottas in race two which severely compromised his ability to challenge Nico. Race one was down to his own poor start.
You could argue his incident in Bahrain was down to his poor start as well.

Race starts are part of the race.

Hamilton has struggled a bit with that this year. Although he managed to get a decent one at China and look where that got him!

I voted Rosberg.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

bcm70 wrote:
Zoue wrote: by Bottas in race two which severely compromised his ability to challenge Nico. Race one was down to his own poor start.
You could argue his incident in Bahrain was down to his poor start as well.

Race starts are part of the race.

Hamilton has struggled a bit with that this year. Although he managed to get a decent one at China and look where that got him!

I voted Rosberg.
You could indeed. But my point was that Bottas hitting him was something he could not reasonably have foreseen (unless of course you feel that Lewis shared the blame for the incident) and as it severely impacted his ability to recover the race was not a completely fair representation.

I think in Australia Nico did a better job. In Bahrain we didn't really see what kind of job Lewis could have done after the start, that's all I'm saying. In isolation Nico still did well.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

I was firmly in the Hamilton camp and I still say write him off at your peril. But jeez he needs to produce a big result pretty quick
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

I'll vote Rosberg, at least thats who I want to win this time, just to change and I think Rosberg also deserves a bit of glory

F1Oz

Post by F1Oz »

If Rosberg loses it from here - it will be one of the greatest chokes in F1 history

mds

Post by mds »

F1Oz wrote:If Rosberg loses it from here - it will be one of the greatest chokes in F1 history
A lead of less than 1.5 race wins, three races into a season of 21 races?
I don't agree, even when putting aside that he could have 1 or 2 DNF's more than Hamilton and lose it that way.

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

I think Hamilton but if Rosberg wins it will good as well. I do not think there is another contender TBH between these two because the gap to Ferrari is still the same like last year.
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

F1Oz wrote:If Rosberg loses it from here - it will be one of the greatest chokes in F1 history
Seriously?

I don't even think it could be in anyway described as a choke if Hamilton slowly reals him in overhauls over the remaining 18 races.

Rosberg is only a win and a 4th ahead.

2014 - Rosberg was further ahead that that with only 7 races to go
2012 - Alonso was futher ahead of Vettel with only 9 races to go.
2010 - Hamilton was almost as far ahead of Vettel with only 6 races to go.
2007 - Hamilton was futher ahead of Raikkonen with only 2 races to go.
2003 - Raikkonen was further ahead of Schumacher with 14 races to go.

That is just in recent times. I'm not sure you thought it through.

Vettel Fan

Post by Vettel Fan »

Ferrari have made improvements since last year but still seems like they are 1/4 second or more off from Mercedes during quali. Unless they can find more pace I don't see them as a threat for the championship. A threat at occasional races, yes.
Hamilton is a better driver than Rosberg imo so I would go with him.
Its a long season lots can happen.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

I have posted elsewhere that I thought Rosberg would win the WDC this year. Not necessarily because he would drive better than Lewis, but I thought it was close enough that a DNF war would sway the outcome in Rosberg's favor.
What I did not account for was Lewis's failure of grasping the new start procedure as well as Rosberg, and Lewis has been the more unfortunate one so far. So yeah I still believe Rosberg is going to win it. It feels like the stars are aligned for him to win it.
The next race will probably be even more telling. If Lewis does not beat him there, regardless of who wins that race, it will be very hard not to see Rosberg as the overwhelming favorite.

Beanhead

Post by Beanhead »

babararacucudada wrote:Hamilton's biggest weakness is that he hates to be beaten by Rosberg. He feels it shouldn't happen.

Rosberg has had 7 of the last 9 pole positions and won the last 6 races. If people start talking about Rosberg being better than Hamilton, that will be very difficult for Hamilton to deal with.
I think it depends on a few things.

Will Rosberg qualify on pole on enough occasions (or out-start Hamilton to the first corner). Recent races suggest yes.

Is Rosberg's racecraft better now. I think there is evidence in the last 6 races of that.

Is Rosberg going to be more ruthless now. I don't know about that. I was disappointed to hear Rosberg say that if what Lewis said about contact in Australia was true, he would apologise. It wasn't true, but Rosberg saying that, resulted in headlines saying Rosberg apologises for contact with Hamilton. I think Rosberg is entitled to go out of his way to shove Hamilton off the track, as Hamilton has done to him on previous occasions, in Hungary and the USA.

Will Hamilton drive worse because Rosberg is doing well. Hamilton has shown a more measured and thoughtful attitude for the last year and a bit, so is less likely to crack, but being beaten by Rosberg is a very big issue for him, and if public opinion goes in favour of Rosberg being the better driver, I think that is going to be very difficult for Hamilton to handle.

The other factor will be luck.
What a great post.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Official