Feel The Fourth

Llotyhy

Re: Driver(s) of the Day - 2016 Chinese Grand Prix

Post by Llotyhy »

Rosberg, Kvyat and Ricciardo.

steoc4

Post by steoc4 »

I also chose Vettel, Kvyat & Ricciardo before I'd even read the first post.

Gonzales

Post by Gonzales »

Kvyat and Vettel for me!

VDV23

Post by VDV23 »

Riccardo, Rosberg and Kvyat (in that order for me).

Vettel was good but he was quite clumsy, I'd put the blame entirely on him for wiping out Kimi at the start. And then he damaged his FW again.

stebol

Post by stebol »

Definitely Ricciardo. He was so much quicker than Kyvat all race. Was catching him a second a lap in the last stint. Had second in the bag if not for the puncture.

Kyvat threw away second place to Vettel.

Amon

Post by Amon »

Dan the man

From now on I only vote 1 driver
F1 fan since 1989

Badgeronimous

Post by Badgeronimous »

Ricciardo, Raikkonen and Rosberg.

Vettel had a good race, but clumsy start.
Last edited by Badgeronimous on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Ricciardo, Vettel and Hamilton.

Hamilton dropped off at the end but like Vettel he pulled some brilliant moves, they both carved through the field like they weren't there. Ricciardo was brilliant as always, unlucky with how it all planned out, he deserved second.

Edit: although I now realise that I've accidentally voted for Rosberg not Hamilton, ah well he did dominate to be fair.

aice

Post by aice »

Amon wrote:Dan the man

From now on I only vote 1 driver
Snap :)
You just need to be accepted for who you are and be proud of who you are and that is what I'm trying to do.
Lewis Hamilton

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

Kimi, Kvyat and Ricciardo.

RBR were surprising matching Ferrari :? I thought in qualifying Ricciardo lap was good but the whole race they were competitive. Had Kimi got clean start he would have finished 2nd for sure. But his run on medium and soft in the end was still good enough
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

Ricciardo, give this man top equipment already.
Second best was Vettel. Start was a racing incident, he couldn't go right, couldn't go left, and he made brilliant moves, including passing on the outside. The only thing he did a bit wrong was leave a bit too much space on the inside.
Then again, if he hadn't, maybe Kvyat would've torpedoed into him on seeing half a gap.

Ruste13

Post by Ruste13 »

Dan Riccardo is just getting better and better.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Difficult one. Rosberg drove well but didn't have any pressure. Kvyat I thought was also fairly invisible most of the way through and finished where he was more by the attrition of others. Verstappen did pretty well again and showed he wasn't afraid to take on the big boys. Kimi came alive towards the end and finished on a high but I thought he was pretty anonymous at the beginning and was expecting him to be a bit feistier. Lewis had his moments but overall I thought it was a poor race for him.

Overall I'd say Vettel looked aggressive and like he meant business throughout the race, as did Ricciardo. I'd be hard pushed to choose between them

Randine

Post by Randine »

Gonzales wrote:Kvyat and Vettel for me!
Vettel crashed into his team mate.
Kyvat did make a great move on the first lap but then sat pretty comfortably after overtaking a few drivers on older tyres.

The driver of the day has to be Ricciardo.
Got the lead at the start, was leading for 2-3 laps, then through no fault of his own had a puncture.
That put him 12 spots behind his team mate and down in 17th. Then he had to overtake so many people on track multiple times including Hamilton and came through the whole race untouched to finish 7 seconds behind his team mate.

EDIT:
In reflection Kvyat had a great race. He was only passed on track by Vettel as Vettel had gone for the soft tyres in the last stop and Kvyat opted for the Mediums.
If Vettel had not been able to make those tyres last, then it could have been a 2nd for Kvyat. It was a solid drive by him.
(However still Ric had the better more challenging drive.)
Last edited by Randine on Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan the man!

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

Zoue wrote:Difficult one. Rosberg drove well but didn't have any pressure. Kvyat I thought was also fairly invisible most of the way through and finished where he was more by the attrition of others. Verstappen did pretty well again and showed he wasn't afraid to take on the big boys. Kimi came alive towards the end and finished on a high but I thought he was pretty anonymous at the beginning and was expecting him to be a bit feistier. Lewis had his moments but overall I thought it was a poor race for him.

Overall I'd say Vettel looked aggressive and like he meant business throughout the race, as did Ricciardo. I'd be hard pushed to choose between them
:thumbup: In the end I voted Ric, Nico and Seb.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Ricciardo

then
Räikkönen
Rosberg
Verstappen

also good
Kvyat, Wehrlein, Vettel, Magnussen, Sainz

Not convinced by McLaren strategy. Ferrari outsmarting competitors for final stint. Shouldn't overtaking under SC be prohibited also at the pit entry?

Mr-E

Post by Mr-E »

Vettel, Ricciardo and Rosberg.
Kvyat shouldn't have been on the podium.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:Ricciardo

then
Räikkönen
Rosberg
Verstappen

also good
Kvyat, Wehrlein, Vettel, Magnussen, Sainz

Not convinced by McLaren strategy. Ferrari outsmarting competitors for final stint. Shouldn't overtaking under SC be prohibited also at the pit entry?
I thought so too but it's one of the few exceptions. Underlined below:

http://www.fia.com/file/40135/download?token=WmmrCaLS
39.8 - With the exception of the cases listed under a) to h) below, no driver may overtake another car on the track, including the safety car, until he passes the first safety car line for the first time when the safety car is returning to the pits. However, if the safety car is still deployed at the beginning of the last lap, or is deployed during the last lap, Article 39.15 will apply.
The exceptions are :
a) If a driver is signalled to do so from the safety car.
b) Under 39.12 or 39.16 below.
c) When entering the pits a driver may pass another car remaining on the track, including the safety car, after he has reached the first safety car line.
d) When leaving the pits a driver may overtake, or be overtaken by, another car on the track before he reaches the second safety car line.
e) When the safety car is returning to the pits it may be overtaken by cars on the track once it has reached the first safety car line.
f) Whilst in the pit entry, pit lane or pit exit a driver may overtake another car which is also in one of these three areas.
g) Any car stopping in its designated garage area whilst the safety car is using the pit lane (see 39.11 below) may be overtaken.
h) If any car slows with an obvious problem.

Badgeronimous

Post by Badgeronimous »

Herbert will be saying Kyvat is outperforming Ricciardo again.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Rosberg and the 2 RB boys, Ricciardo and Kyvat.

Mildly surprised anyone is going for Vettel, took his team mate out and had a messy squabble with Bottas that could have ended a whole lot worse too.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

infi24r

Post by infi24r »

Badgeronimous wrote:Herbert will be saying Kyvat is outperforming Ricciardo again.
He actually did say that if you listen to the post race dialogue. He picked Kvyat as his driver of the day and when Di Resta pointed out how much better Ricciardo was Herbert said "well my driver beat yours".

This is the type of expert analysis you can expect on Sky.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

infi24r wrote:
Badgeronimous wrote:Herbert will be saying Kyvat is outperforming Ricciardo again.
He actually did say that if you listen to the post race dialogue. He picked Kvyat as his driver of the day and when Di Resta pointed out how much better Ricciardo was Herbert said "well my driver beat yours".

Getting beat by his younger teammate could be a sign it's time to retire too.

Toby.

Post by Toby. »

infi24r wrote:

Wouldn't expect any better from Herbert.

jrwb6e

Post by jrwb6e »

infi24r wrote:This is the type of expert analysis you can expect on Sky.
I don't know. Johnny Herbert is an expert. I mean maybe Ricciardo was unmotivated and that's how he got the tire puncture in the first place? The results says it all.

jrwb6e

Post by jrwb6e »

Flash2k11 wrote:Mildly surprised anyone is going for Vettel, took his team mate out and had a messy squabble with Bottas that could have ended a whole lot worse too.
Vettel reminded me of Maldonado today and I don't recall Maldonado getting this much credit.

bjornborg

Post by bjornborg »

Herbert is beyond poor, it's embarrassing how he responds. 'My drivers beats yours' is such a ridiculous thing to say given what happened in this race. It's an amateurish comeback, something like you would expect in the high school backyard.

Drivers of the day: Daniel, Kimi, Vettel

purchville

Post by purchville »

Actually, that is exactly what he did.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition:
- 6 victories (Germany '20, Italy '19, Mexico '18, Singapore '18, USA '17, USA '16, Mexico '16),
- 7 podiums
- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

purchville

Post by purchville »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
infi24r wrote:

:lol:
PF1 Pick 10 Competition:
- 6 victories (Germany '20, Italy '19, Mexico '18, Singapore '18, USA '17, USA '16, Mexico '16),
- 7 podiums
- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

Rosberg, Vettel, Kyvat.

Ignored in yesterday's qualifying was a monster lap by Rosberg to seal the pole. Using any standard for comparison, it was an incredible lap. And whenever any driver makes the win look this easy, it means he did an excellent job. Rosberg executed the race the best of any, deserved the win and recognistion as a driver who bested everyone.

Vettel did make a mistake on lap one, but his recovery drive was absolutely superb. Of all the drivers who did find themselves toward the back after a few laps, he was the best recovery drive. Kyvat was impeccable.
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

infi24r

Post by infi24r »

bjornborg wrote:Herbert is beyond poor, it's embarrassing how he responds. 'My drivers beats yours' is such a ridiculous thing to say given what happened in this race. It's an amateurish comeback, something like you would expect in the high school backyard.

Drivers of the day: Daniel, Kimi, Vettel
The thing that frustrates me about Sky is, these are meant to be 'expert commentators'. So their insight should be generally higher than that of the public, but actually they tend to just completely ignore what happens on track and sprout off the finishing order. How about some actual perspective on the races? The Sky coverage is basically just show the race, then show the interviews.

lbennie

Post by lbennie »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:Rosberg, Vettel, Kyvat.

Ignored in yesterday's qualifying was a monster lap by Rosberg to seal the pole. Using any standard for comparison, it was an incredible lap. And whenever any driver makes the win look this easy, it means he did an excellent job. Rosberg executed the race the best of any, deserved the win and recognistion as a driver who bested everyone.

Vettel did make a mistake on lap one, but his recovery drive was absolutely superb. Of all the drivers who did find themselves toward the back after a few laps, he was the best recovery drive. Kyvat was impeccable.
If Rosberg's lap was a monster lap, ricciardo's was god like, that Merc is more than 0.5 ahead of the RB.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I'm struggling to reconcile anyone having the opinion that Kvyat drove better than Ricciardo with what I saw on track on Sunday.

Ricciardo pretty much in a class of one in quali and in the race IMO.

Randine

Post by Randine »

mikeyg123 wrote:I'm struggling to reconcile anyone having the opinion that Kvyat drove better than Ricciardo with what I saw on track on Sunday.

Ricciardo pretty much in a class of one in quali and in the race IMO.
Yes, it was a bit like Hungary last year when Ric had an amazing drive and had contact with 3 other cars.
While Kvyat was in 8th and stuck behind Hulk.

Then most of the cars in front of Kvyat had issues:
Hulks front wing went on the straight, safety car, kimi retired with car trouble, ham hit Ric in turn 1, Rosberg and Ric came together and next thing you know Kvyat who was having a very average race gets promoted to the podium and 2nd place. Ric finished 1 place behind (3rd) that day too.
Dan the man!

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

Ricciardo,Kvyat and either Rosberg or Verstappen for me(vote went to Max).

But Ricciardo was head and shoulders above anyone else on track this weekend. Sublime in all aspects of racing.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

Liket

Post by Liket »

Rosberg, Ricciardo. And I voted Massa because I think he did a good job defending his place for a long time. All the other top finishers either got caught by people at a severe disadvantage (Kvyat) or were involved in clumsy accidents (Seb) or could probably have done better at some points (Kimi, after the SC on softs).

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
infi24r wrote:

Indeed... Herbert should retire and finish his commentator career as their younger team mates can do much better

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Felt Ricciardo was fast, drove a flawless and agressive race and thought he should be the driver of the day.
After him I thought both Ferrari drivers drove a really good race. Raikonnen seems to have been rejuvenated this year.
Rosberg was really dominant but it is hard to judge his performance as Lewis was again taking out of the equation.
I thought Lewis drove a solid race, considering the problems he had all race. He made some good moves, but I wished he had protected the inside on Ricciardo because it was obvious that that move was going to happen.
Massa also drove really good defensively and outperformed Bottas again.

There was a lot of good driving going on in the race, lots of others drove really well, like Verstappen, Sainz, Alonso, Button. Very nice to see. Even Gutierrez managed to finish in front of his teammate.