New Qualifying Format - Staggered Eliminations

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Zoue

Re: New Qualifying Format - Staggered Eliminations

Post by Zoue »

HamsterHuey wrote:
Zoue wrote:
HamsterHuey wrote: Exactly this. I've always enjoyed the frantic dash at the end of Q3 where everyone is trying to put in a fantastic lap and create surprises. Moreover, with rain/variable weather, the end of Q3 is absolutely thrilling. Now it's going to be a boring affair if you have a situation where a track is drying and only 2 people are left to duke it out at the end of Q3. I'm really not sure what they were trying to solve by creating these rules. It gives me a headache just trying to make sense of it and how things will pan out. How something so complex and forced is going to provide broadspread appeal to casual users is anyone's guess. It feels like F1 is being more successful at driving away existing fans at a larger rate than the casual fans they are hoping to appeal to.
I don't think it's qualifying they were trying to solve. I think it's aimed at mixing up the grid on Sundays. It looks to me that the idea is to try to nullify some of the qualifying speed differences between the cars since they won't be able to go balls out on a hot lap and risk ruining their tyres. The fact that it ruins qualifying itself for many is neither here nor there.
I get that aspect of it, but at this point, you might as well just adopt one of Bernie's ideas such as reverse order grids, etc. These rules seem far too contorted and complex simply to artificially force a change in the grid while imho diminishing the appeal of quali. I personally think that this idea of 1 driver dropping every 1.5 minutes is just too complex for any lay person to follow or care about. Having 3 simple stop points with Q1, Q2 and Q3 were much easier to follow and allowed you to eagerly anticipate the result of each session at a fixed point in time. Now, they are just going to dilute any excitement by kicking off 1 person every 1.5 minutes, and it'll be a bit of a mess trying to follow all the drivers and their quali strategies.

But ultimately, this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, much like DRS has, along with the restrictions on in-season engine development. F1 continues to become more and more of a gimmick and that's very concerning. There used to be a time when I was so glad that F1 didn't have any of the kind of made up rules that Nascar seemed to have to encourage a show, but at this point, F1 seems truly lost in my humble opinion. At least the old quali format provided one avenue to watch balls to the wall, flat-out laps from drivers trying to best each other (something we sadly rarely see in races anymore). Now, we are going to be robbed of that to some extent, which is quite tragic.
:thumbup:

Yep, couldn't agree more

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

I do like the knockout but I don't like stop /start and the resetting of times so how about:

1 hour continuous track time

00-15 - all cars may run
16-30 - 20 fastest
31-45 - 15 fastest
45-60 - 10 fastest run to the end

Tyres - 2 sets max per driver
Number of runs - unlimited
Fuel - unlimited

Post qualy/pre race - tyres can be changed for race ones and cars re-fuelled.

Simple. Non-stop running, no ones position "safe" until flag falls, no down-time, no resetting of the clock, fastest driver will be on Pole as it should be no matter when they set the time, no reason to drive anything other than balls to the wall. You've nothing to lose and everything to gain. As it should be = no compromise.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

WHoff78

Post by WHoff78 »

DOLOMITE wrote:I do like the knockout but I don't like stop /start and the resetting of times so how about:

1 hour continuous track time

00-15 - all cars may run
16-30 - 20 fastest
31-45 - 15 fastest
45-60 - 10 fastest run to the end

Tyres - 2 sets max per driver
Fuel - unlimited

Post qualy/pre race - tyres can be changed for race ones and cars re-fuelled.

Simple. Non-stop running, no ones position "safe" until flag falls, no down-time, no resetting of the clock, fastest driver will be on Pole as it should be no matter when they set the time, no reason to drive anything other than balls to the wall. You've nothing to lose and everything to gain. As it should be = no compromise.
Surely then if you have 5 minutes of dry running at the start followed by rain, every will set there times at the start and fans can just turn off/go home for the day. The knock-out qualifying introduced in 2006 is a huge improvement in my opinion, and many seem to agree. Otherwise the staggered elimination would have little bearing on the outcome in some instances. Plus, it is unlikely the track would improve sufficiently to offset loss of tyre performance so critical times would be limited to one lap after each pit stop in most cases, unless they make a mistake.

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

I don't like it. :thumbdown:

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Who else suspects Mercedes will freeze positions once they have eliminated all others?

mds

Post by mds »

DOLOMITE wrote: Tyres - 2 sets max per driver
2 sets for four distinct parts in the qualifying sessions. With the current Pirelli's, your idea too will introduce tyre saving in qualifying.

Tyre saving should never ever be a factor in qualifying.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

Amon wrote:Well they could just as well bring the 1 lap qualy back. One chance to push like hell, no worries about preserving fuel or tyres no blocking from others and hopefully no grid penalties.
And there will be constant action too allbeit only 1 car at a time.
:thumbup: More simple to understand than the new format too.
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker

babararacucudada

Post by babararacucudada »

Zoue wrote:
HamsterHuey wrote:
Exactly this. I've always enjoyed the frantic dash at the end of Q3 where everyone is trying to put in a fantastic lap and create surprises. Moreover, with rain/variable weather, the end of Q3 is absolutely thrilling. Now it's going to be a boring affair if you have a situation where a track is drying and only 2 people are left to duke it out at the end of Q3. I'm really not sure what they were trying to solve by creating these rules. It gives me a headache just trying to make sense of it and how things will pan out. How something so complex and forced is going to provide broadspread appeal to casual users is anyone's guess. It feels like F1 is being more successful at driving away existing fans at a larger rate than the casual fans they are hoping to appeal to.
I don't think it's qualifying they were trying to solve. I think it's aimed at mixing up the grid on Sundays. It looks to me that the idea is to try to nullify some of the qualifying speed differences between the cars since they won't be able to go balls out on a hot lap and risk ruining their tyres. The fact that it ruins qualifying itself for many is neither here nor there.
Yes - it's an attempt to liven up Sunday by creating more chances that cars will not end up qualified in the order of speed they are capable of. That is in turn a result of the cars not being particularly suited for racing and passing on the track (eg. Hamilton not being able to race effectively against Rosberg in the last 3 races of 2015).

It's too early to say that 2016 will be more of the same, but there is no reason so far to think that it wont.
Qualifying would probably be more of a lottery with this new system - and less predictable/fair?
It would probably cause more strife between team mates, as the team is more likely to have to make instant decisions on which one to favour due to rapidly changing circumstances.

As Hamilton said - it's not really something to fix things, but it will be something to create things to talk about.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

hittheapex wrote:
Amon wrote:Well they could just as well bring the 1 lap qualy back. One chance to push like hell, no worries about preserving fuel or tyres no blocking from others and hopefully no grid penalties.
It was a big turnoff for many, though. In terms of drama it was lacking. The reason they changed it in the first place was because it was losing audiences, which is why they came out with the knockout format in the first place.

I think the point is that this new format has nothing to do with qualifying itself. I don't think they have concerns about that. It's more about how to play the joker card for Sunday

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

mds wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote: Tyres - 2 sets max per driver
2 sets for four distinct parts in the qualifying sessions. With the current Pirelli's, your idea too will introduce tyre saving in qualifying.

Tyre saving should never ever be a factor in qualifying.
Agreed, but since the whole idea behind this new format is to introduce some element of unpredictability it's extremely doubtful that they will want drivers not to worry about tyres. In their minds it will just add to the joker quotient and they're certainly not going to want to do anything that will make it easier for the drivers. That would defeat the entire Whacky Races objective behind the change.

They have basically decided to change the entire philosophy of qualifying. It's clear its job now is simply to act as a kind of wild card for the grid, in order to improve "the show."

Biffa

Post by Biffa »

hittheapex wrote:
I quite enjoyed that as a format, but changeable weather / track conditions made it too much of a lottery imo

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

pokerman wrote:Brawn were hardly an underdog, the car was built with the vast resources of Honda and started the season as a dominant car.
Yeah, cos the 2008 Honda showed us all that 2009 was going to be their year. :lol:

The car was hideously ugly as well, white and yellow, and with those disgusting wheel cover thingies... jesus.

But it wasn't a Ferrari, or a McLaren (Red Bull was still 'nice' then) or even a Williams. The team let half it's staff go over the winter too, as feelgood / unexpected stories go they don't get much better than that! What do you want???
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Covalent wrote:Who else suspects Mercedes will freeze positions once they have eliminated all others?
Out of all of the teams I think they are the least likely. I'm no big Merc fan but I credit any team that let Bahrain 2014 happen
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

ALESI wrote:
pokerman wrote:Brawn were hardly an underdog, the car was built with the vast resources of Honda and started the season as a dominant car.
Yeah, cos the 2008 Honda showed us all that 2009 was going to be their year. :lol:

The car was hideously ugly as well, white and yellow, and with those disgusting wheel cover thingies... jesus.

But it wasn't a Ferrari, or a McLaren (Red Bull was still 'nice' then) or even a Williams. The team let half it's staff go over the winter too, as feelgood / unexpected stories go they don't get much better than that! What do you want???
Brawn were the very definition of an underdog. They never should have made it to the grid. And most wouldn't have bothered, but they knew they had the magic in an amazing car. They themselves probably didn't realise how amazing it was. And they could barely afford to run the bloody thing. It was a true underdog story that we probably won't see again for a very long time
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mcdo wrote:
ALESI wrote:

Brawn were the very definition of an underdog. They never should have made it to the grid. And most wouldn't have bothered, but they knew they had the magic in an amazing car. They themselves probably didn't realise how amazing it was. And they could barely afford to run the bloody thing. It was a true underdog story that we probably won't see again for a very long time
The car was designed in 2008 no expense spared with the backing of Honda, they made an early decision to give up on the 2008 season and started designing the 2009 car.

I find it hard to marry an underdog with having the initial backing of a major car company, the equivalent would be Mercedes deciding to pull out of F1 and selling the team to Toto for 1 dollar, then giving the designed 2016 car to the team but with no further development of backing from Mercedes themselves. No doubt that Toto would have to make drastic staff reductions like Brawn did but the car would still have a very strong season.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
ALESI wrote:

The car was designed in 2008 no expense spared with the backing of Honda, they made an early decision to give up on the 2008 season and started designing the 2009 car.

I find it hard to marry an underdog with having the initial backing of a major car company, the equivalent would be Mercedes deciding to pull out of F1 and selling the team to Toto for 1 dollar, then giving the designed 2016 car to the team but with no further development of backing from Mercedes themselves. No doubt that Toto would have to make drastic staff reductions like Brawn did but the car would still have a very strong season.
No it wouldn't. Mercedes haven't just come out of two seasons of barely scoring points. Brawn GPs performance came as a massive shock for everyone.

mmi16

Post by mmi16 »

Gimmick of gimmicks

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

New quali system has been delayed until the Spanish GP at the earliest.

F1 showing it couldn't organise a 'you know what' in a brewery yet again.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

Asphalt_World wrote:New quali system has been delayed until the Spanish GP at the earliest.

Hate to say it but I did say this wouldn't happen until 2017. And it won't. Why does F1 keep doing this? They keep announcing things and then a week later saying 'Oh no, well maybe next year'. Like the ban on driver coaching...
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

JohnnyGuitar

Post by JohnnyGuitar »

Bernie, Bernie, Bernie.

Has a brainwave then blurts it out as a rule change before even checking that it's possible. The sooner the FIA takes control back from him the better. The FIA is far from perfect but at least it is supposed to be a proper ruling body and not just an old man treating the sport as his personal plaything.

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

WHAT A MESS

Underviewer

Post by Underviewer »

Asphalt_World wrote:New quali system has been delayed until the Spanish GP at the earliest.

Surely they won't introduce a change to the qualifying format part way through a season....

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

Underviewer wrote:

Surely they won't introduce a change to the qualifying format part way through a season....
It's been done before in 2005.

They changed formats after 6 races.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

Sevenfest

Post by Sevenfest »

hittheapex wrote:
I do think this was a pretty great format, given the choice though I'd have a mix of the current (not the new) format and the old 1 lap format - so Q1 and Q2 as normal, however Q3 is a 1 lap shootout for the top 10. The order for when the top 10 go out is decided by their lap times in Q2, so the fastest in Q2 goes last when the track is most rubbered - so there's still a real push to make sure the fastest drivers are pushing in both sessions. Did consider random order but then it's just mixing things up for the sake of the show..

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
ALESI wrote:

No it wouldn't. Mercedes haven't just come out of two seasons of barely scoring points. Brawn GPs performance came as a massive shock for everyone.
So what would be the difference be if Honda had not pulled out, would Honda have been the underdogs shocking the F1 world given their recent performances?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

JohnnyGuitar wrote:Bernie, Bernie, Bernie.

Has a brainwave then blurts it out as a rule change before even checking that it's possible. The sooner the FIA takes control back from him the better. The FIA is far from perfect but at least it is supposed to be a proper ruling body and not just an old man treating the sport as his personal plaything.
This is not Bernie's brainwave, it's a compromise put forward by the teams against Bernie basically wanting reverse grids.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

If this new format comes in half way through the season it will be the farce to end all farces.
If...

Vyse

Post by Vyse »

Stop moaning, qualifying changes mid way through a season is nothing new.

babararacucudada

Post by babararacucudada »

I do think that would need more tyres to operate this system properly and also some new rules to try to ensure that everyone co-operated to make it have the best chance of working (if they want it to work - they may want chaos).
It would be important that all 22 cars had a good chance to set their best time before the first elimination. That's half the time they have had in 2015. It's not going to be easy to make that happen.

wolfticket

Post by wolfticket »

Vyse wrote:Stop moaning, qualifying changes mid way through a season is nothing new.
It was silly then, it's silly now.

The important competitive aspects of the format of a sport should be constant throughout a championship/season. Changing the goalposts (almost literally) part way through is somewhat farcical, especially if it's for some arbitrary premeditated reason.

If they couldn't get the new format implemented for the start of the season they should delay it til next season.
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

pokerman wrote:So what would be the difference be if Honda had not pulled out, would Honda have been the underdogs shocking the F1 world given their recent performances?
Yes. Given that when was the last time Honda won anything in F1? Are you suggesting that them being a major car maker doesn't mean they are an underdog? Okay so Brawn was a Honda masquerading as a privateer, and that's why that will never happen again. Red Bull was hardly a little team, but it was still a breath of fresh air when they won.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

wolfticket wrote:
Vyse wrote:Stop moaning, qualifying changes mid way through a season is nothing new.

The important competitive aspects of the format of a sport should be constant throughout a championship/season. Changing the goalposts (almost literally) part way through is somewhat farcical, especially if it's for some arbitrary premeditated reason.

If they couldn't get the new format implemented for the start of the season they should delay it til next season.
Well they banned the FRIC suspension system in the middle of the 2014 season hoping that it would slow Mercedes down.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote: So what would be the difference be if Honda had not pulled out, would Honda have been the underdogs shocking the F1 world given their recent performances?
It would have been shock for sure. Moved from the back of the grid to easily the fastest. Nobody forecast that happening.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

ALESI wrote:
pokerman wrote:So what would be the difference be if Honda had not pulled out, would Honda have been the underdogs shocking the F1 world given their recent performances?
Yes. Given that when was the last time Honda won anything in F1? Are you suggesting that them being a major car maker doesn't mean they are an underdog? Okay so Brawn was a Honda masquerading as a privateer, and that's why that will never happen again. Red Bull was hardly a little team, but it was still a breath of fresh air when they won.
Yep that's exactly what I mean and neither were Red Bull who were spending more money than any other team.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote: So what would be the difference be if Honda had not pulled out, would Honda have been the underdogs shocking the F1 world given their recent performances?
It would have been shock for sure. Moved from the back of the grid to easily the fastest. Nobody forecast that happening.
Yes it would be a shock but when do you class one of the worlds largest car makers as an underdog?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
ALESI wrote:
Yep that's exactly what I mean and neither were Red Bull who were spending more money than any other team.
At the end of 2008 did anyone predict that Honda and Red Bull would be the two best teams in 2009?

wolfticket

Post by wolfticket »

pokerman wrote:
wolfticket wrote:

Well they banned the FRIC suspension system in the middle of the 2014 season hoping that it would slow Mercedes down.
It's open to debate whether that was a correct decision or what the motivation for it was, but either way closing a loophole in the rules part way through the season is somewhat different to this.

It's not a case of changing something because it is deemed necessary due to new information (ie. an unexpected loophole). It just changing the format of the competition part way through the championship for no good reason.

Who knows who if anyone it will hinder or benefit, but it's still a silly thing to do that could potentially damage the integrity of the competition.
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
ALESI wrote:
At the end of 2008 did anyone predict that Honda and Red Bull would be the two best teams in 2009?
You forget there was a big rule change, I read a reason for this was that Moseley wanted to break the dominance of Ferrari and McLaren, otherwise things would have continued as they did in 2007 and 2008.

I know that people were aware that Mercedes had built a good engine for the Hybrid rules, but who in 2013 foresaw the dominance of Mercedes, again aided by a big rule change.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

wolfticket wrote:
pokerman wrote:
wolfticket wrote:

It's open to debate whether that was a correct decision or what the motivation for it was, but either way closing a loophole in the rules part way through the season is somewhat different to this.

It's not a case of changing something because it is deemed necessary due to new information (ie. an unexpected loophole). It just changing the format of the competition part way through the championship for no good reason.

Who knows who if anyone it will hinder or benefit, but it's still a silly thing to do that could potentially damage the integrity of the competition.
Oh I don't disagree but don't be surprised by what Bernie can push through, he is on a mission.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

ALESI

Post by ALESI »

Bernie says he didn't want qualifying changed... he wanted reverse grids or reversed top ten.