Is anyone expecting a surprise this season?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Kev627

Is anyone expecting a surprise this season?

Post by Kev627 »

Is anyone expecting the unexpected this season, HAAS or Manor to be front runners, Mercedes to struggle, Williams to step up or not, do we think any drivers might call it quits mid season (my personal thought would be Raikkonen if Ferrari fail).

What unexpected events do people think might just actually happen?

mikeyg123

Re: Is anyone expecting a surprise this season?

Post by mikeyg123 »

Nothing quite that unexpected but I do anticipate Vettel being Hamilton's chief rival for the championship and a big step up from Mclaren.

hrm80953

Post by hrm80953 »

Tempted to put £1 on Mclaren to win the constructors title.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Not so much expecting, but certainly hoping that McLaren step up to the plate and provide a decent challenger. They are long overdue back at the front IMO and the sport needs them there

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Not really.

But I would welcome any of the following:
- A proper Merc V Ferrari battle
- A massive improvement from McLaren-Honda
- Manor challenging for the odd point here and there
- Toro Rosso with the year old Ferrari unit cruising ahead of Red Bull
- Williams using ruthless strategy to win a race
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Depends on what you might consider a surprise, I think Vettel could be champion and McLaren to be 3rd/4th best team.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

For the WDC, then no.

For wins, hopefully Williams and (possibly) a win for Kimi.

For podiums, Hulkenberg and Max should be up there at some point.

For points, Haas possibly, and never before has Manor had a better opportunity to score.

I'd be curious to see how the Renault works team fare against RBR, too.
#KeepFightingMichael

moby

Post by moby »

If you expect it, its not a surprise :lol: . I thank I may suprise myself by enjoying it after all I have said.

Manor may well be up with Sauber, STR, and even FI, which would really be a surprise

F1Krof

Post by F1Krof »

For some reason, I have that odd feeling that Mercedes will struggle. They've changed their design philosophy for this year car, making it more revolutionary, instead, they'll be struggling to find pace. Ferrari on the other hand, will be the one to beat.

WHoff78

Post by WHoff78 »

Perhaps Manor to crack Q3 in Australia, Super Aguri Style! Otherwise some competition at the front would be a welcome surprise, along with solid development from Honda and Renault.

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

No surprises.

Just a usual fluctuation in the upper and lower midfield.
The end is near

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

moby wrote:If you expect it, its not a surprise :lol: .
:lol:

My favourite kind of surprise would be to see Kimi back where he belongs. That is closely followed by seeing Nico Rosberg receiving sufficient team support to take the fight to Hamilton this time. We don't call F1 a mechanical sport for nothing, do we? :)
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

jasonthebadger

Post by jasonthebadger »

mcdo wrote:Not really.

But I would welcome any of the following:
- A proper Merc V Ferrari battle
- A massive improvement from McLaren-Honda
- Manor challenging for the odd point here and there
- Toro Rosso with the year old Ferrari unit cruising ahead of Red Bull
- Williams using ruthless strategy to win a race
All of these with the exception of Williams will probably happen i reckon :thumbup:
Any and all opinions are my own, they do not reflect the opinions of the FIA, FOM, Teams, Drivers, PlanetF1, Phase of the Moon, Rotation of the Earth or Aliens.

j man

Post by j man »

How about Renault being the slowest on the grid in Australia?

They had no money last year to develop this year's car, and they're about to switch to a much weaker engine. Even the team have admitted that making it out of Q1 in the early part of the season will be a struggle (see this month's F1 Racing), and to top it off they have a quite uninspiring driver line-up. Meanwhile Manor spent last year focussing on 2016 and have sourced Mercedes engines along with a gearbox from Williams I believe, and there are positive noises coming from Haas after putting a lot of investment into this year's car.

w1Y!

Post by w1Y! »

I think Mercedes will slip backwards.

I think their development will give them issues and the tyres won't allow them to compensate.

So we will only get them dominate at a selection of tracks

Ferrari will be much more consistant and vettel will be wdc

TheDamus

Post by TheDamus »

McHonda on the podium in the first 3 races?
Proudly supporting Force India first, Lewis Hamilton second.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Fiki wrote:

My favourite kind of surprise would be to see Kimi back where he belongs. That is closely followed by seeing Nico Rosberg receiving sufficient team support to take the fight to Hamilton this time. We don't call F1 a mechanical sport for nothing, do we? :)
Of course Hamilton wouldn't be able to beat Rosberg fair and square :uhoh:
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

HS Thompson

Post by HS Thompson »

pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Rosberg has crumbled every time he's been in the spotlight. Next year will be no different.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Well, that just changes the definition of what 'sufficient' team support would be for him to take the fight to Lewis ;)
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

ob1kenobi.23

Post by ob1kenobi.23 »

The TR turns out to be a beast with the Ferrari engine & Max becomes the youngest WC ever.
Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Alonso would always be able to beat Massa fair and square. And yet there are many who insist that he received preferential treatment from Ferrari.

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Alonso would always be able to beat Massa fair and square. And yet there are many who insist that he received preferential treatment from Ferrari.
Alonso did recieve preferential treatment though? It was Ferrari policy to favour one driver, and as far as I know still is. Best example that I remember off of the top of my head was when they broke open Massa's gear box and put him back 5 places to move Alonso forward one.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

j man wrote:How about Renault being the slowest on the grid in Australia?

They had no money last year to develop this year's car, and they're about to switch to a much weaker engine. Even the team have admitted that making it out of Q1 in the early part of the season will be a struggle (see this month's F1 Racing), and to top it off they have a quite uninspiring driver line-up. Meanwhile Manor spent last year focussing on 2016 and have sourced Mercedes engines along with a gearbox from Williams I believe, and there are positive noises coming from Haas after putting a lot of investment into this year's car.
:thumbup: I can see Renault and McLaren changing places this year.
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Blackhander wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Alonso did recieve preferential treatment though? It was Ferrari policy to favour one driver, and as far as I know still is. Best example that I remember off of the top of my head was when they broke open Massa's gear box and put him back 5 places to move Alonso forward one.
You don't even have to look that late in their stint together. Two years before Alonso even showed up at Ferrari, Montezemolo let on that the lesser of the two drivers would be allowed to stay, while the champion had to go. It doesn't get much clearer than that, unfortunately.

As for Hamilton/Rosberg, you needn't look further than the team reaction after Francorchamps 2014, and contrast that with their reaction (or lack thereof) when Hamilton runs Rosberg off the track.

Remember when Lorenzo joined Rossi at Yamaha? That was equal treatment, and full support for both riders.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:The TR turns out to be a beast with the Ferrari engine & Max becomes the youngest WC ever.
I would love that to be the case. :thumbup:
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Well, that just changes the definition of what 'sufficient' team support would be for him to take the fight to Lewis ;)
Ah I see what you mean ;)
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Well people will have agendas :)
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Fiki wrote:
Blackhander wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:My favourite kind of surprise would be to see Kimi back where he belongs. That is closely followed by seeing Nico Rosberg receiving sufficient team support to take the fight to Hamilton this time. We don't call F1 a mechanical sport for nothing, do we? :)
You don't even have to look that late in their stint together. Two years before Alonso even showed up at Ferrari, Montezemolo let on that the lesser of the two drivers would be allowed to stay, while the champion had to go. It doesn't get much clearer than that, unfortunately.

As for Hamilton/Rosberg, you needn't look further than the team reaction after Francorchamps 2014, and contrast that with their reaction (or lack thereof) when Hamilton runs Rosberg off the track.

Remember when Lorenzo joined Rossi at Yamaha? That was equal treatment, and full support for both riders.
Oh that's were you were going with this, I wonder how many times the likes of Massa, Kimi and Rosberg need to get beaten before excuses are stopped being made for them and the drivers take the blame themselves?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

slide

Post by slide »

yes , I can see massa making a mistake and admitting to it

Woody_247

Post by Woody_247 »

Alonso, Button, Massa and Kimi calling it a day and the most intense silly season ever.
Supporting N#2s since 1995.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:You don't even have to look that late in their stint together. Two years before Alonso even showed up at Ferrari, Montezemolo let on that the lesser of the two drivers would be allowed to stay, while the champion had to go. It doesn't get much clearer than that, unfortunately.

Oh that's were you were going with this, I wonder how many times the likes of Massa, Kimi and Rosberg need to get beaten before excuses are stopped being made for them and the drivers take the blame themselves?
Who was making "excuses" for the drivers so they didn't need to take the blame themselves? The fans can't, the teams didn't, and the drivers did take the blame for the things they were to blame for. So no, that's not where I was going with this.

lamo

Post by lamo »

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:

We don't really know.. number 1 driver can mean a lot of things behind the scenes

1) Best engine allocation, they vary by about 5-15 BHP
2) If a new part loses number one 0.050 per lap but gains number two 0.050, that part isn't staying on the car. If its the other way around, the part stays.
3) Optimum strategy for race and qualifying run timings
4) Development of the car tailored to number 1's driving style and entire team geared toward his WDC challenge
5) Only 1 new part available, its going on number 1's car. In some cases with limited parts, its coming off of number 2's car if number 1 damages his (Vettel - Webber)

Add some or all of those together and you are looking at 0.2 per lap in the pocket from the get go. On top of the fact that the number one is probably quicker by a tenth or two most of the time leads to Alonso - Massa type dynamics. An off day for Massa and he is 0.5 down, a very good one and he matched or narrowly lost out to Alonso

2fast

Post by 2fast »

if any team could just fight closely with MercedesGP, that would be a big surprise to me.
too fast to slow down

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

2fast wrote:if any team could just fight closely with MercedesGP, that would be a big surprise to me.
I believe Ferrari will be very strong
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

pokerman wrote:
2fast wrote:if any team could just fight closely with MercedesGP, that would be a big surprise to me.
I'm still expecting a Mercedes white wash :(

Strange part is that I don't even know myself if it's because that is simply the most likely and logical conclusion or whether I'm being cynical on purpose so that at worst I'm not surprised and anything else is a bonus. I think I actually switch between the two almost daily.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Blackhander wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I'm still expecting a Mercedes white wash :(

Strange part is that I don't even know myself if it's because that is simply the most likely and logical conclusion or whether I'm being cynical on purpose so that at worst I'm not surprised and anything else is a bonus. I think I actually switch between the two almost daily.
I just feel it in my water :lol:
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

pokerman wrote:
You could be more precise by saying probably Vettel will be strong.
Feel The Fourth

Randine

Post by Randine »

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Maybe not...
Ferrari are switching to push rod suspension from using pull rod for the last 4 years. They have been the only team on the grid to use that type of front suspension.

Raikkonen has complained constantly about a lack of precision at the front, which is a characteristic of the pullrod suspension.
Also pull rod is apparently harder and more time consuming to make set up changes.

So for the first time since the Lotus, Kimi will be in a car with push rod suspension which he should be able to set up very quickly to how he likes the front end of the car...
Should be interesting to see if he can bounce back or 2016 is his last year in F1.
Dan the man!

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Vettel was strong last year in the second best car but didn't win, I believe the car in the first place is more important.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

I think the only surprise for me would be Mercedes being clearly slower than some other team. Beside that every other teams were very inconsistent in past 2-3 seasons, so for example Ferrari being slow wouldn't surprise me.
eeee