So.... What's right with F1 ?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Jezza13

So.... What's right with F1 ?

Post by Jezza13 »

Right, I'm throwing out the challenge.

We all know what woes F1 faces at the moment but in this thread I want to know what the sport has done right in the last decade. Looking for positives generated by the sport as a whole on not comments on a team or individual.

I'll start. For me, being in Australia, its the quality of the telecast. To have all sessions available to viewers is something that didn't happen 10 years ago. There is a negative aspect to the telecast but, in the interest of keeping things up beat and positive, I'll let it slide.

So there, that's the best I got. Lets see how many positives we can dig up.
Last edited by Jezza13 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

dizlexik

Re: So.... What's right with F1 ?

Post by dizlexik »

Difficult question ;)

I think racing is better than some 10 years ago, if you ignore 1-2 results :P
eeee

babararacucudada

Post by babararacucudada »

The qualifying format.

That's about all.

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

I know that some drivers still miss out on seats because of money but I think the standard of the grid in depth has rarely been higher than it is now. Looking back, I can't remember a year that didn't have a driver that was there without money in some way or another and the standard of pay drivers is much better now than it was.

It's a shame that two of the best may be stuck in an uncompetitive McLaren again this year, but that wouldn't be a new thing either.

Generally, safety is good too. There is always research to improve safety and even the current level is amazing compared to the late 90s. I think it's gone a bit too far in some aspects of circuit design and wet race management but the cars and barriers today are taken for granted. The Bianchi accident was obviously a black mark but in the most common type of accidents we see in F1, drivers have never been safer in my opinion.
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker

HS Thompson

Post by HS Thompson »

Spa, Suzuka, Monza, CoTA, and Brazil.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

The racing, safety, best single seater drivers in the world. Excellent TV coverage. Quite a lot actually.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Are we going back to 2005 or 2006?
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

A.J.

Post by A.J. »

Safety, the qualifying format, midfield battles due to the midfield being closer together.

minchy

Post by minchy »

HS Thompson wrote:Spa, Suzuka, Monza, CoTA, and Brazil.
I was going to write just that! Although maybe not include CoTA in there, it's a good track but not a good classic yet. If they got rid of any of those 4 tracks, F1 would lose a lot of draw for me.

I was also going to say the tech involved in the engines themselves is taking f1 in the right direction - getting more power from less fuel in smaller engines. Unfortunately the problem with the new engines is the shear quantity of negatives regarding unnecessarily controlling regs about how they are used and can be developed.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

HS Thompson

Post by HS Thompson »

minchy wrote:
I was going to write just that! Although maybe not include CoTA in there, it's a good track but not a good classic yet. If they got rid of any of those 4 tracks, F1 would lose a lot of draw for me.

I was also going to say the tech involved in the engines themselves is taking f1 in the right direction - getting more power from less fuel in smaller engines. Unfortunately the problem with the new engines is the shear quantity of negatives regarding unnecessarily controlling regs about how they are used and can be developed.
I dont have the slightest interest if F1 cars get better mileage out of fuel. Nothing could bore me more about racing.

Cripes, let them race diesel engines then. The mileage will go up 30% if not more then.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

They have excellent drivers, mechanics and engineers. It's just the leadership that stinks.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Whilst there are things I like about F1, there's nothing I can immediately think of that I like because it's not in other types of motorsport. That's quite a worry really!
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

The Drivers,Safety,Broadcasting and Qualifying format are all great IMO.

It's severely let down by the rule makers who have currently given us the most predictable and boring era I've witnessed.

The rules should be set by an independent group.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

HS Thompson

Post by HS Thompson »

Asphalt_World wrote:Whilst there are things I like about F1, there's nothing I can immediately think of that I like because it's not in other types of motorsport. That's quite a worry really!
I feel the same way about the cars. There's simply nothing even remotely special about them to my eyes and ears. Other racing series now are just as good as F1, if not even better.

The tracks still have some nice appeal, but F1 keeps dropping classic tracks for boring Tilkedromes in faraway dictatorships.

j man

Post by j man »

Until last year, the wheel-to-wheel racing was as good as it had been for decades.

The V6 hybrid engines are also a brilliant idea, it's the regulations around them that are terrible.

Amon

Post by Amon »

Qualifying great? While we could have worse it looks more like a show. Besides what good is it if there is stuff like grid penalties?

Well the good thing is F1 still exists so there is still hope they can get it right.
F1 fan since 1989

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

pokerman wrote:Are we going back to 2005 or 2006?
Your choice pokerman. I'm not that concerned either way.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

minchy

Post by minchy »

HS Thompson wrote:
minchy wrote:

I dont have the slightest interest if F1 cars get better mileage out of fuel. Nothing could bore me more about racing.

Cripes, let them race diesel engines then. The mileage will go up 30% if not more then.
The point of getting more miles to the gallon is that you carry less fuel making the car lighter and therefore quicker. The obvious downside is that the hybrid system they use I still ridiculously heavy and as they can't develop that much there's no room for improvement on weight loss. It's like I said, sort of a plus/minus thing really and other forms of racing are doing a better job of it.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

babararacucudada wrote:The qualifying format.

That's about all.
I think I'd agree. In almost every measure I can think of I don't think the sport has improved

mds

Post by mds »

That F1 doesn't have a caution clock? :D
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

chaz986

Post by chaz986 »

The v6 turbo's! not all the rules about them are good but cutting edge tec in F1 i do like to see.

aice

Post by aice »

Without making any comparisons to 10yrs ago, for me, today, one of the main positives is undoubtedly the depth of talent that exists within current F1. On the grid today, we have 3 multiple world champions, 2 singular world champions and we are currently blessed with some fantastic, promising, up & coming young talent too.

We are still getting some fairly decent midfield battles and some interesting internal team-mate battles IMO.

I had the good fortune of attending the British GP last year (2015)- the atmosphere was simply electric, with sell-out, record-breaking crowds and a fun, family "vibe". As other posters have already pointed out, retaining traditional, atmospheric venues such as Silverstone, Monza, Spa etc is important, they are always a positive draw.

Safety within F1 has been excellent, including the changes introduced after Jules Bianchi.

Here in the UK, although we have inevitably lost some races to pay TV, the quality of the coverage overall has gotten better.

The quality of the racing overall remains good-IMO. Even at the front, up until last year we saw some fantastic racing and race craft among the front cars e.g.Bahrain 2014.

The progression of women drivers in the sport remains problematic but at least we have seen an increase in the the amount of women employed in testing and developmental capacities during the last 10 years.

The current V6’s. The problems associated with costs, complexity, regs etc are well documented but on a more positive note, I like the concept of cutting edge, more environmentally friendly technology within F1.
Last edited by aice on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You just need to be accepted for who you are and be proud of who you are and that is what I'm trying to do.
Lewis Hamilton

Colo134

Post by Colo134 »

the drivers.

the tracks, atleast most of them.

the culture, which i still think is the best in racing

the cars, theyre still the fastest most impressive out there

Randine

Post by Randine »

mikeyg123 wrote:The racing, safety, best single seater drivers in the world. Excellent TV coverage. Quite a lot actually.
I agree.
I actually quite like the addition of the virtual safety car as well. It could have save Bianchi's life had that been in place in Japan.

To add to your list.
Some of the circuits are awesome.

The biggest thing I dislike are rules that lock in advantages over many years. e.g. current engine rules.
I remember reading an article with quotes from one of the managers from Cosworth that were part of the new engine discussions/drafting of the specs etc.

He said at the time the question was asked, 'What if one manufacturer gets it right and has a big advantage over the other engines'
They are all racers at heart so the response was 'That will not happen', while probably secretly inside they were wishing they would be the ones that had the advantage.
As a result, no rule or course of action was drafted into the new engine specs to allow someone behind more freedom to catch up.
It could have been in the form of more tokens or more testing etc.

As a result of that oversight, we the viewing public are suffering.
We all know that Merc would have won the championship in 2015 before a wheel was turning in a race.
I think they will also another step forward again for this year and I will be extremely surprised if Ferrari can match them.
So it will be 3 years (or more) of complete dominance like the sport has never seen before.

For those that think Ferrari are close. Yes they are, but look at the Italian GP this year when Lewis was asked near the end of the race to push as hard as he could (due to the tire pressure incident on the grid and the possible pending time penalty to be added after the race).
He was able to pick up his pace significantly on demand revealing that Merc had/have a lot more in reserve. Once they get the lead and there is no chance of an overtake, they have been turning the cars down to save the engines and gear boxes to extend reliability.
(argh sorry, this was meant to be what is right with F1)
Dan the man!

aice

Post by aice »

Randine wrote: (argh sorry, this was meant to be what is right with F1)
You did notice?

Plenty of other on going threads to recite the downsides of F1, let's try and keep this one on topic....in the words of the OP "letting the negatives slide...." :)
You just need to be accepted for who you are and be proud of who you are and that is what I'm trying to do.
Lewis Hamilton

James14

Post by James14 »

Safety.

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

aice wrote:
You did notice?

Plenty of other on going threads to recite the downsides of F1, let's try and keep this one on topic....in the words of the OP "letting the negatives slide...." :)
Cheers aice :thumbup:

Seen a few posts that started to wander into the negative but pretty much stuck as positive.

It's really easy to bag the sport these days but lets use this thread to say what it is that keeps us tuning in.

Balibari
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Post by Balibari »

The calendar.

I know it sounds counter intuitive. Yes we've lost Indy (awful) Turkey (one good complex in a generic circuit and absolutely no atmosphere), Magny Cours and San Marino (a shame but they simply weren't suitable any more). Instead we have Austin (a better track than any we've lost in decades), Mexico (a better atmosphere than any we've lost), a greater diversity of locations and cultures (Russia, Baku etc.) and of course night races. F1 has to develop, new circuits and locations are essential. That means we have to drop some and, despite all the threats and bluster, we haven't dropped a properly good one yet. There are several that do nothing for me, but that was the case 10 years ago too.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

Randine

Post by Randine »

Jezza13 wrote:
aice wrote:
You did notice?

Cheers aice :thumbup:

Seen a few posts that started to wander into the negative but pretty much stuck as positive.

It's really easy to bag the sport these days but lets use this thread to say what it is that keeps us tuning in.
Your last bit is probably an even better question or to add to the original question.
"What is it that keeps you tuning in?"

For me I keep interested pretty much solely based on Ricciardo as I am Australian. Originally it was Webber that got my passion back about F1, now I think Ric is an even better prospect and might bring Australia (one day) a F1 world champ for the first time since Alan Jones 30+ years ago.
Dan the man!

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

A.J. wrote:Safety, the qualifying format, midfield battles due to the midfield being closer together.
:thumbup:
:thumbup:
The end is near

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

HS Thompson wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:Whilst there are things I like about F1, there's nothing I can immediately think of that I like because it's not in other types of motorsport. That's quite a worry really!
I feel the same way about the cars. There's simply nothing even remotely special about them to my eyes and ears. Other racing series now are just as good as F1, if not even better.

The tracks still have some nice appeal, but F1 keeps dropping classic tracks for boring Tilkedromes in faraway dictatorships.
I'm just wondering which racing series are better?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Jezza13 wrote:
pokerman wrote:Are we going back to 2005 or 2006?
Your choice pokerman. I'm not that concerned either way.
Well your going from the V10 era to the V8 era, as you know we all loved the V10 engines.

Regarding the V8 engines, the powerful Hybrid engines are certainly a big improvement, even with the fuel efficiency aspect were some are saying who cares, the engines are still producing far more power were drivers can no longer stand on the loud power coming out of corners without flying off the track or spinning. The Hybrids also allow for passing on the straights because they are not rev limited like the V8's, who can forget a car going for the pass only to hit the rev limiter and then bailing out?

Ignore people who don't like the qualifying format because in polls it's been shown that the majority think that it's excellent.

No more refuelling which spawned the race fuel qualifying which produced the Saturday heroes but Sunday duds.

The initial design of the cars in 2014 with the mandate to reduce downforce to promote overtaking which seemed to work, unfortunately the nose cone regs were changed for 2015 because they were ugly which produced cars that made it harder to overtake.

The VSC which reduces the need for the SC, much loved by some with short attention spans but in my view makes for artificial racing.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

speedy_bob

Post by speedy_bob »

I just re-watched the entire San Marino GP of 2004 again on Youtube (full sized screen!).
The current camera angles, replays, multiple camera's on the same action and slow-mo's definitely have improved since then. I was amazed how basic the coverage was only 10 years ago.

mac_d

Post by mac_d »

pokerman wrote: Ignore people who don't like the qualifying format because in polls it's been shown that the majority think that it's excellent.
Yeah, anyone with a minority opinion should absolutely be ignored!

I do like the qualy format. Sometimes the single laps one after the other gave some whacky starting positions but I think the current system is a bit more level. The further changes to make sure we get more than the top 4 or 5 guys actually bothering in Q3 were a further improvement.

Fuller calendar? I guess more F1 is better than less, though I guess the jump over the last decade is a small number. As for quality, we've lost some races I liked and we've seen some new circuits that I think could become favourites. So a little bittersweet on that one.

Solid talent in general. I think we have a lot of great drivers in F1 at the moment. This might not have changed actually in the last decade too much, but as of 2016 we have quite a few guys I could see winning races. There are some guys I could do without, but I think the talent is solid in F1 at the moment.

Engines... I like the new engine formula, though I won't try to say it doesn't have some rather large flaws. But in the end, a V10 or V8 F1 engine is cool, the new PUs are supercool. And, for clarity, I'm not referring to the performance in particular, but just how they make me feel. Of course, there are downsides which I'm going to gloss over entirely as this is about upsides.

And while I never much saw the appeal before I got it, HD viewing has made a substantial difference to me. The quality of the whole broadcast has improved a lot and I think this has really been good. F1 did seem to take a while to get on the HD train, but finally it is. On boards break up a lot less iirc too. And I love some of the more outlandish camera mounts. And the IR camera stuff! I know it's kinda pointless but the geek in me loves it.

And a personal one, F1 isn't on ITV (UK). I have a thing about ITV. I really don't like it and I don't like them making money from me watching their adverts. I liked their show and their team, but dislike the channel. Of course, that also has come with a substantial downside but my irrational hatred of ITV makes it a price worth paying.

jiminwatford

Post by jiminwatford »

I like the depth of quality in all areas including team personel

I like the fact the teams can still afford the best technology and innovation. I love that they go to the nth degree to get an advantage. The ever evolving front jacks and pit release systems comes to mind

I enjoy that they employ hundreds of people all of whom are expected to an excellent job. What are all those people doing looking at screens? I have no idea but i think it's cool and i'm sure it is important and effective

With the money being biased towards the wealthy and successful teams i worry for overall balance but while the show continues i'll love it

I like they are all different chassis. It's expensive but adds to the feel of competition

In the 1990s British Touring Cars had full manufacture backing and the depth and quality was obvious. The money invested brought quality cars and a quality show. Now, generally speaking the cars share the same suspension and running gear and more or less the same engines. The bodys look different but you know each car isn't unique in it's execution. The competition isn't as good as it could be with enlarged budgets

I like that F1 has improved overtaking in the last few years

I like the way the cars look. Slick tyres and a lower nose

I like the engine technology. The elements of energy recovery, deployment, strategy - all massively sophisticated. I like the noise they make. The whistles and whirrs. Even the tone itself i find pleasurable

I like hearing tyres squeel and the crowd cheer

babararacucudada

In 2016 there will be an extra exhaust pipe to produce more noise. It's great to see F1 at the forefront of extra noise technology.

The DRS system is also the most advanced system ever developed - well it was until they restricted it a bit.

The technology for ground effects with almost zero ground clearance is also a technical marvel.

The dropping off a cliff tyres were also a breakthrough in losing performance, and we have lost some, but not all of that ability.

So a lot of technical achievements some of which are not as highly developed as they once were - and that's not even counting turning a hole into not-a-hole by cutting a very, very, thin slot to the not-a-hole.

jiminwatford

Post by jiminwatford »

^^^ Posted in wrong thread. I think you want one of the many other 'What's wrong with F1' threads

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mac_d wrote:
pokerman wrote: Ignore people who don't like the qualifying format because in polls it's been shown that the majority think that it's excellent.
Yeah, anyone with a minority opinion should absolutely be ignored!

I do like the qualy format. Sometimes the single laps one after the other gave some whacky starting positions but I think the current system is a bit more level. The further changes to make sure we get more than the top 4 or 5 guys actually bothering in Q3 were a further improvement.

Fuller calendar? I guess more F1 is better than less, though I guess the jump over the last decade is a small number. As for quality, we've lost some races I liked and we've seen some new circuits that I think could become favourites. So a little bittersweet on that one.

Solid talent in general. I think we have a lot of great drivers in F1 at the moment. This might not have changed actually in the last decade too much, but as of 2016 we have quite a few guys I could see winning races. There are some guys I could do without, but I think the talent is solid in F1 at the moment.

Engines... I like the new engine formula, though I won't try to say it doesn't have some rather large flaws. But in the end, a V10 or V8 F1 engine is cool, the new PUs are supercool. And, for clarity, I'm not referring to the performance in particular, but just how they make me feel. Of course, there are downsides which I'm going to gloss over entirely as this is about upsides.

And while I never much saw the appeal before I got it, HD viewing has made a substantial difference to me. The quality of the whole broadcast has improved a lot and I think this has really been good. F1 did seem to take a while to get on the HD train, but finally it is. On boards break up a lot less iirc too. And I love some of the more outlandish camera mounts. And the IR camera stuff! I know it's kinda pointless but the geek in me loves it.

And a personal one, F1 isn't on ITV (UK). I have a thing about ITV. I really don't like it and I don't like them making money from me watching their adverts. I liked their show and their team, but dislike the channel. Of course, that also has come with a substantial downside but my irrational hatred of ITV makes it a price worth paying.
I'm not sure you are agreeing with me or not? :)
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

jiminwatford wrote:^^^ Posted in wrong thread. I think you want one of the many other 'What's wrong with F1' threads
Yep that's what you call gate crashing a thread :lol:
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

babararacucudada

jiminwatford wrote:^^^ Posted in wrong thread. I think you want one of the many other 'What's wrong with F1' threads
Some people seem to love new technology in F1 and consider it a plus.