Create the perfect F1 Driver

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
KingVoid

Create the perfect F1 Driver

Post by KingVoid »

Here we have eight inherited characteristics of a racing driver. Your goal is to pick a certain driver for each characteristic, a driver who excels in that field, and when you combine all the characteristics, you get the “ultimate” racing driver, so to speak.

Qualifying Pace (one lap pace)
Race Pace (pace across 305 km)

Race Craft (overtaking and defending)
Tyre Management (self-explanatory)

Wet Weather (in heavy rain conditions like qualifying at Austin)
Changing Conditions (in mixed conditions like the race in Austin)

Adaptability (adaptability to different car characteristics)
Consistency (how rare is it for the driver to make mistakes)

Here's the catch: You cannot reuse the same driver more than once.
Last edited by KingVoid on Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingVoid

Re: Create the perfect F1 Driver

Post by KingVoid »

Here's my "ultimate driver"

Qualifying Pace: Rosberg
Race Pace: Hamilton

Race Craft: Verstappen
Tyre Management: Perez

Wet Weather: Vettel
Changing Conditions: Button

Adaptability: Alonso
Consistency: Bottas

Donington93

Post by Donington93 »

Qualifying Pace: Vettel

Race Craft: Hamilton
Tyre Management: Button

Wet Weather: Hamilton

Adaptability: Hamilton
Consistency: Alonso

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Your majesty, you have forgotten one of the most important traits I look for in a perfect F1 driver: sportsmanship. Respect for the rules, and respect for competitors should guide us just as much as speed and racecraft.

Are we to use only drivers currently in F1?
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Warnzee

Post by Warnzee »

Cool idea :)

Qualifying Pace: Vettel - He was unstoppable in the Red Bull most of the time. Hard to choose anyone else from the current grid really.

Race Pace: Alonso - just an absolute machine in the race. Wouldn't put money on anyone getting more out of the car over a race distance.

Race Craft: Ricciardo - First thought was Hamilton, but he makes too many clumsy mistakes I think to really say he's definitely the best on the grid. I get it's not really fair to compare Lewis' 9 seasons' with the 3 for Ricciardo, but the move on Vettel at Monza, and dicing with Alonso in Germany really stick in my mind, moreso than for anyone else on the grid.

Tyre Management: Perez - No-brainer really, pretty much every one of his good (great?) results have been due to tyre management / making alternate strategies work.

Wet Weather: Hamilton - Silverstone 2008, nuff said.

Changing Conditions: Button - THE MAN in changeable conditions. Surely no one can argue with this?!!

Adaptability: Verstappen - To just jump in an F3 car after not much karting and win races almost straight away, and then to jump into an F1 car, and perform at such a high level. Can't give it to anyone else.

Consistency: Bottas - Some say he's the most boring, un-exciting driver on the grid, but look at his lap times, he is mr consistency. Hard to be exciting when driving all by yourself! Only seems to have drama when faced with his fellow Finn.
Oooh I'm so badass... I've got a z in my name.

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

Read chaps, read.

You can only use the same driver once. Otherwise it would be far too easy.

Blake

Post by Blake »

Using Current drivers as per the posts so far, I guess I would go as follows:

Race Craft: Alonso

ooops... sorry, need to rethink this to come up with 8 different drivers...
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

This thread seems all about using your scarce resources in the most efficient way! To consider the best driver(s) and assign the most valuable trait to them where they excel at.

Race Pace: Verstappen

Race Craft: Ricciardo

Changeable conditions: Button

I find it hard to distinguish between race pace and adaptability. I think the main difference between race and qualifying pace is your adaptability, and maybe fatigue/ability to maintain high focus for long periods of time. I had Race Pace on Alonso going through, but then I only had Verstappen left for adaptability as the only driver left that would be considered exceptional in a particular area. I don't believe that Verstappen is a very adaptable driver, in fact he struggled in a couple of races this year and went AWOL because of his inability to cope with differing conditions (Silverstone is the only race I can clearly remember, but there were a few others). I also believe that adaptability is more important than race pace as well (probably the most important trait), so I decided to switch the drivers around.

Vettel and Hamilton are interchangeable. Both are very strong in wet weather and in qualifying. But I think Vettel has the edge over Hamilton in one-lap pace, while it's hard to compare them in the wet. No real surprise with Button and Perez.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

Well, the OP doesn't mention that it has to be current drivers.

Based on that, my list goes:

Qualifying Pace: Ayrton Senna. Because duh.

Race Pace: Michael Schumacher.

Racecraft: Fernando Alonso. I thought he is the equal of Schumacher in race pace as well. But in racecraft, this guy is an absolute demon. I have never seen any driver pull off as many overtakes on the Outside as this guy does, and the fact that he so rarely has on-track incidents, while pulling off the best overtaking moves, is astounding. He is one of the best starters since the beginning of his career, in every type of car, and no matter what his attitude is with his team or rivals, he is one of the fairest on the track. Cannot say the same for Schumacher or Senna.

Tyre Management: Kimi Raikkonen. He saved tyres a shade better than Vettel in 2015, and markedly better in Bahrain, where he matched the pace Mercedes and Vettel set on soft tyres while driving on hard tyres. In my opinion Vettel is a very intelligent driver who studies tyre characteristics in great detail, so beating him, and having many great tyre management drives in his career puts Raikkonen among the best here.

Wet Weather: Sebastian Vettel. Because plain raw talent. Yes, he beats Hamilton in the wet, I believe. More or less equal with Schumacher.

Changeable Conditions: Jenson Button. I don't think he is the Fastest in changing conditions, where many drivers like Schumacher in particular, Alonso, and maybe Vettel & Hamilton will have him beat, but he is brilliant at reading and predicting these conditions, and stopping or not stopping at the right time earns him chunks of time.

Consistency: Alain Prost. He was there in every race, every car, every season, whether his teammates were WDCs, playing mind games, young upstarts, he was always there.

Adaptability: Lewis Hamilton.

Well, I am now running out of options. To be fair, he has adapted to every regulation, got poles and wins in every season, and has never seemed to be struggling with the car's characteristics. Alonso suffered with adaptation a bit in 2007, Vettel massively so in 2014. I would say Schumacher before 2010 thrashes everyone in adaptibility, but he's sitting in my race-pace category already.

Overrall, Schumacher and Alonso are near the top of every category, except qualifying pace, and tyre management. Both were on the harder side on tyres, but could still manage them quite brilliantly when absolutely needed.

steoc4

Post by steoc4 »

Given that it can only be each driver once (if not every single one would go to either Vettel or Alonso):

Race Pace: Alonso

Wet Weather: Verstappen
Changeable conditions: Button

Adaptability: Hulkenberg

olly-44

Post by olly-44 »

Qualifying Pace: Hamilton
Race Pace: Ricciardo

Consistency: Rosberg
F1 Fan: 26 years and counting...
Grand Prixs Attended:
British x3 * Hungary * Italy * USA * Spain * Belgium

Grand Prixs on bucket list...
Canada * Mexico * Japan * Germany *

Gumption

Post by Gumption »

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:Well, the OP doesn't mention that it has to be current drivers.

Racecraft: Fernando Alonso. I thought he is the equal of Schumacher in race pace as well. But in racecraft, this guy is an absolute demon. I have never seen any driver pull off as many overtakes on the Outside as this guy does, and the fact that he so rarely has on-track incidents, while pulling off the best overtaking moves, is astounding. He is one of the best starters since the beginning of his career, in every type of car, and no matter what his attitude is with his team or rivals, he is one of the fairest on the track. Cannot say the same for Schumacher or Senna.

Tyre Management: Kimi Raikkonen. He saved tyres a shade better than Vettel in 2015, and markedly better in Bahrain, where he matched the pace Mercedes and Vettel set on soft tyres while driving on hard tyres. In my opinion Vettel is a very intelligent driver who studies tyre characteristics in great detail, so beating him, and having many great tyre management drives in his career puts Raikkonen among the best here.

Wet Weather: Sebastian Vettel. Because plain raw talent. Yes, he beats Hamilton in the wet, I believe. More or less equal with Schumacher.

Changeable Conditions: Jenson Button. I don't think he is the Fastest in changing conditions, where many drivers like Schumacher in particular, Alonso, and maybe Vettel & Hamilton will have him beat, but he is brilliant at reading and predicting these conditions, and stopping or not stopping at the right time earns him chunks of time.

Consistency: Alain Prost. He was there in every race, every car, every season, whether his teammates were WDCs, playing mind games, young upstarts, he was always there.

Well, I am now running out of options. To be fair, he has adapted to every regulation, got poles and wins in every season, and has never seemed to be struggling with the car's characteristics. Alonso suffered with adaptation a bit in 2007, Vettel massively so in 2014. I would say Schumacher before 2010 thrashes everyone in adaptibility, but he's sitting in my race-pace category already.

Overrall, Schumacher and Alonso are near the top of every category, except qualifying pace, and tyre management. Both were on the harder side on tyres, but could still manage them quite brilliantly when absolutely needed.
I was going to do mine but this one is nearly identical to what I would have written. Well done, milkshake-drinker!

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

A few alternate choices...

Qualifying Pace - Jarno Trulli
Race Pace - Juan-Pablo Montoya

Race Craft - Nigel Mansell
Tyre Management - Sergio Perez

Wet Weather - Rubens Barichello
Changing Conditions - Jenson Button

Adaptability - Lewis Hamilton
Consistency - Alain Prost
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:This thread seems all about using your scarce resources in the most efficient way!
That is precisely why I made the "you can only use the same driver once" rule, otherwise it would be far too easy. ;)

lamo

Post by lamo »

Nice idea for a thread -

Tyre Management: Raikkonen

Consistency: Ricciardo

Pole2Win

Post by Pole2Win »

Michael Schumacher's talent with Stirling Moss' sportsmanship.

"Ask any racer, any real racer... It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning." (Dominic Toretto, "The Fast and The Furious")

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Gumption wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:Well, the OP doesn't mention that it has to be current drivers.

I was going to do mine but this one is nearly identical to what I would have written. Well done, milkshake-drinker!
Thank you. :)

I don't get it, why is everyone choosing only current drivers? It wasn't the requirement as per the OP.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Qualifying Pace: Vettel is the man for me. Always seems to be able to produce a stunning lap under pressure. I think Lewis at his best is quicker but Lewis is more error prone when he has to go all out.

Race Pace: Lewis. It is very rarely a teammate can outdo him in race pace. He is almost always there and sometimes he is just out of there and uncatchable. See USA 2012, Monaco 15' Suzuka 14', Malaysia 14', among a few others...

Race Craft: I think Alonso wins that one. The way he consistently aces his starts, his wheel to wheel ability. Nothing short of phenomenal.

Tyre Management: Perez by a mile. Noone in my mind is as good at making the tires last or to perform on really old tires. The guy is a beast when it comes to that.

Wet Weather: This was the hardest for me because I think both Lewis and Vettel excel in the wet, with Vettel being a little more consistently fast, but since I can't pick either I will give it to Rosberg. He is no slouch in the wet.

Changing Conditions: Jenson Button for sure. He reads the conditions better than anyone on the current grid and his smooth style means he is consistently fast in all conditions.

Adaptability: To me Lewis is the best by quite a lot at this but again I can't pick him twice so I'll go with Hulkenberg. He seems to go fast in anything he drives, hence his Lemans win.

Consistency: Definitely Bottas. I can't remember the last time the guy botched a race. He seems to almost always be able to maximize the car and brings it home. He is a great point scorer.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

A few definite trends have emerged among the selections, particularly for those who are picking current F1 drivers. Among the (legal) slates submitted so far, the leading choices are:

Qualifying Pace: Vettel (40%)
Race Pace: Hamilton (30%)
Race Craft: Alonso, Ricciardo & Verstappen (30% each)
Tyre Management: Perez (70%)
Wet Weather: Vettel (50%)
Changing Conditions: Button (100%)
Adaptability: Alonso (40%)
Consistency: Bottas (50%)

The one that stands out the most of course is Button's impressive 100% rate for Changing Conditions, including even the people who have answered with classic drivers. The only other category with a true majority opinion is Perez for Tyre Management.

So far, Vettel leads the most categories with two.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Llotyhy

Post by Llotyhy »

Qualifying Pace: Sebastian Vettel
Race Pace: Michael Schumacher

Race Craft: Mika Hakkinen
Tyre Management: Sergio Perez

Wet Weather: Ayrton Senna
Changing Conditions: Jenson Button

Adaptability: Fernando Alonso
Consistency: Alain Prost
Last edited by Llotyhy on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Qualifying Pace (one lap pace) - Grosjean
Race Pace (pace across 305 km) - Alonso

Race Craft (overtaking and defending) - Ricciardo
Tyre Management (self-explanatory) - Perez

Wet Weather (in heavy rain conditions like qualifying at Austin) - Hulkenberg
Changing Conditions (in mixed conditions like the race in Austin) - Button

Adaptability (adaptability to different car characteristics) - Hamilton
Consistency (how rare is it for the driver to make mistakes) - Vettel

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

As the sole use of current drivers was not stipulated in the OP, I'm going to choose from the drivers I have seen (1985 - 2014).

Quali - Senna
Race pace- Mansell
Race craft - Prost
Tyre management - Lauda
Wet weather - Schumacher
Changing conditions - Button
Adaptibility - Alonso
Consistency - Chilton
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

Llotyhy

Post by Llotyhy »

Jezza13 wrote: Consistency - Chilton
Haha, awesome! :D

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

KingVoid wrote:Here we have eight inherited characteristics of a racing driver. Your goal is to pick a certain driver for each characteristic, a driver who excels in that field, and when you combine all the characteristics, you get the “ultimate” racing driver, so to speak.

Qualifying Pace (one lap pace)
Jarno Trulli
Race Pace (pace across 305 km)
Michael Schumacher

Race Craft (overtaking and defending)
Nick Heidfeld
Tyre Management (self-explanatory)
Sergio Perez

Wet Weather (in heavy rain conditions like qualifying at Austin)
Ayrton Senna
Changing Conditions (in mixed conditions like the race in Austin)
Jenson Button

Adaptability (adaptability to different car characteristics)
Fernando Alonso
Consistency (how rare is it for the driver to make mistakes)
Alain Prost

Wait... do they have to be current drivers?
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

POBRatings

Post by POBRatings »

:thumbup:

POBRatings

Post by POBRatings »

Llotyhy wrote:
Jezza13 wrote: Consistency - Chilton
Haha, awesome! :D
Maybe funny, but just because Chilton was a backmarker in aslow car does not mean he was not consistent. I was amazed at how consistent he was, when having to be looking in his mirrors so often, which must have been very distracting. Good choice Llotyhy, for Mr Consistency. :thumbup:

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

steoc4 wrote:Given that it can only be each driver once (if not every single one would go to either Vettel or Alonso)
Really? There's no single area that Lewis Hamilton or anybody else is better than Alonso and Vettel?
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

You can make 2 lists, one with only current drivers, and one historical list.
My historical list wrote:Qualifying Pace: Senna
Race Pace: Schumacher

Race Craft: Hamilton
Tyre Management: Prost

Consistency: Heidfeld
My current list wrote:Qualifying Pace: Rosberg

IDrinkYourMilkshake

I thought that this thread would head this way, one historical list, and one current list. :)

My historical list, as listed above already:

Qualifying Pace: Senna
Consistency: Prost

That's 25 WDCs combined. 8O

My current list:

Wet Weather: Hulkenberg

That's 11 WDCs.

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

Qualy - Rosberg
Race - Alonso
Wet weather - Hamilton
Changeable - Button
Tyre management - Perez
Race craft - Kobayashi
Adaptability - Ricciardo
Consistency - Bottas
Looks good in hot pants - Jorda
I remember when this website was all fields.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

I was also considering doing one historical and one current, so I approve of this decision! :D

HISTORICAL

Qualifying Pace: Ayrton Senna
Race Pace: Michael Schumacher
Race Craft: Jackie Stewart
Tyre Management: Alain Prost
Wet Weather: Gilles Villeneuve
Changing Conditions: James Hunt
Adaptability: Juan Manuel Fangio
Consistency: Jim Clark

CURRENT

Qualifying Pace: Daniel Ricciardo
Race Pace: Lewis Hamilton
Race Craft: Fernando Alonso
Wet Weather: Sebastian Vettel
Adaptability: Nico Hulkenberg
Consistency: Valtteri Bottas

I've kept mine separate, so even any current drivers I would put on an all-time list are restricted to the second set. I think the weakest selection is probably Hulk for Adaptability - I would have put Alonso there, but it would have been a crime to lose his racecraft. And for the classic list there's just such a spoilage of talent that I'm sure the placings aren't all completely optimal - for instance I feel a bit guilty about putting Clark down for just consistency, but you only get to use him once, and other drivers had strong points that stood out more.

Needless to say, I think the classic driver would come out ahead. Not surprisingly, since he's the combination of hundreds of great drivers as opposed to twenty.

Fun thread! :thumbup:
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Arbitrarius

Post by Arbitrarius »

Qualifying Pace: Ayrton Senna
Race Pace: Jim Clark

Race Craft: Lewis Hamilton

Wet Weather: Michael Schumacher

Adaptability: Stirling Moss
Consistency: Fernando Alonso
Fiki wrote:Your majesty, you have forgotten one of the most important traits I look for in a perfect F1 driver: sportsmanship. Respect for the rules, and respect for competitors should guide us just as much as speed and racecraft.
Jackie Stewart (on account of Moss & Clark already being allocated)

Interesting exercise. As I'm sure others have noticed, there are a group of drivers who would fit more than one category and would be a strong contender for others. On another day, the likes of Vettel and Prost would be up there; I think the only constant would be Button for changing conditions.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Tyre Management: Prost

Consistency: Ricciardo

GPG

Post by GPG »

I only use drivers I have seen in action since I started watching Formula 1 in 1999.

Qualifying Pace
Lewis Hamilton.

Race Pace
Michael Schumacher.

Race Craft
Kimi Raikkonen.

Tyre Management
Sergio Perez.

Wet Weather
Giancarlo Fisichella.

Changing Conditions
Jenson Button.

Adaptability
Fernando Alonso.

Consistency
Sebastian Vettel.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition: 10th (2014); 8th (2015)

PF1 Pick 3 Competition: 1st (2014); 1st (2015)

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

Really struggled with consistency, it was the only one I couldn't automatically think of someone outwith the big guns. Came down to Hulk and Bottas for me but both have been inconsistent at times.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

Historical

Race Pace: Clark

Race Craft: Prost
Tyre Management: Lauda

Wet Weather: Schumacher

Tyre management was the one I struggled with this time.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

This!

End of discussion.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Rockie wrote:This!

End of discussion.
Yes its a great post, I agree overall.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

nixxxon wrote:
Rockie wrote:This!

End of discussion.
Yes its a great post, I agree overall.
Wow, thank you. I have no one around me to discuss F1 with, not one person, so appreciation at this Internet forum means a lot more to me than it should. :lol: Specially when someone as knowledgeable as POB agrees with my post. Coincidentally, I've always been a huge fan of his rating system as well.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

In today's times, I wonder if the highlighted section would be quite appropriate?

Qualifying Pace:
Race Pace:

Race Craft:
Tyre Management:

Wet Weather:
Changing Conditions:

Adaptability:
Consistency:

Sponsorship Money:
Feel The Fourth