Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
pokerman

Re: Magnussen to Replace Maldonado?

Post by pokerman »

mds wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
jasonthebadger wrote: Although one wonders what would happen if Maldonado was retained..
"We know how fast Maldonado can be, he has that 1 GP win under his belt after all. After trebling Pastor's points tally for this year, Valtteri Bottas must be the next F1 superstar. Mercedes and Ferrari are believed to be breaking down the doors to get their hands on him despite Williams putting a $50 million price tag on his head"
Really?

I thought things had cooled in respect to Bottas being in demand by the top teams?
jasonthebadger's post, and the quotes around mcdo's post, should give you all you need to understand mcdo's post ;)
Ah right I thought I'd missed something in the recent gossip mill :lol:
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

HS Thompson

Post by HS Thompson »

I hope the rumors are true and that Maldonado beats a hasty exit from Formula One.

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

Now we have statistical evidence to prove that Maldonado is indeed a liability as a driver.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/01/15/m ... er-driver/

What is more tragic than anything else is that he is 30 years old, 2015 was his 5th season in F1, yet he seems to have learned absolutely nothing.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

KingVoid wrote:Now we have statistical evidence to prove that Maldonado is indeed a liability as a driver.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/01/15/m ... er-driver/

What is more tragic than anything else is that he is 30 years old, 2015 was his 5th season in F1, yet he seems to have learned absolutely nothing.
I think most people are already aware of this as well as Maldonado's sponsors having to pay in the region of $30M a year to keep him in F1.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

moby

Post by moby »

Give him his due, he kept Lotus in the game for a few years. Without him they may well have fallen by the wayside and died.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

moby wrote:Give him his due, he kept Lotus in the game for a few years. Without him they may well have fallen by the wayside and died.
...and he got Williams back on their feet, the money has been of great benefit to F1 but not Maldonado's driving itself.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Teddy007

Post by Teddy007 »

pokerman wrote:Despite being a GP2 Champion I guess it just shows what many of us already thought, that Maldonado is very much a pay driver and when the money dries up so will his F1 career.

KMag himself does not have a massive amount of F1 experience and let's not forget he was dropped by McLaren however unfortunate that might have been, but again it shows the low standing that Maldonado has in F1 that Renault would quite happy to replace him with KMag, a driver that brings little to no sponsorship to the team.
Completely agree.

Maldonado has not helped his career by slamming in to other drivers then proclaiming he did nothing wrong. Fact is in F1, to succeed you must first bring the car home. You lose valuable points by being an unreliable driver who doesn't even finish. Look at McLaren, how many more points and valuable data would they have gained if they had a car that could finish every race. Where would they be in the standings as well - although not majorly higher it could have been a place or two.

Reliability and finishing is always the first key factor in F1, if you don't - it really doesn't matter if you are the fastest man in the world. With nothing to show for it.

For teams that are struggling financially, it really doesn't bold well for them if most of that driver money is being sent keeping the car on the track let alone finishing. I think Kevin deserves a race seat, he gave JB a good run for his money.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Teddy007 wrote:
pokerman wrote:Despite being a GP2 Champion I guess it just shows what many of us already thought, that Maldonado is very much a pay driver and when the money dries up so will his F1 career.

KMag himself does not have a massive amount of F1 experience and let's not forget he was dropped by McLaren however unfortunate that might have been, but again it shows the low standing that Maldonado has in F1 that Renault would quite happy to replace him with KMag, a driver that brings little to no sponsorship to the team.
Completely agree.

Maldonado has not helped his career by slamming in to other drivers then proclaiming he did nothing wrong. Fact is in F1, to succeed you must first bring the car home. You lose valuable points by being an unreliable driver who doesn't even finish. Look at McLaren, how many more points and valuable data would they have gained if they had a car that could finish every race. Where would they be in the standings as well - although not majorly higher it could have been a place or two.

Reliability and finishing is always the first key factor in F1, if you don't - it really doesn't matter if you are the fastest man in the world. With nothing to show for it.

For teams that are struggling financially, it really doesn't bold well for them if most of that driver money is being sent keeping the car on the track let alone finishing. I think Kevin deserves a race seat, he gave JB a good run for his money.
Maldanado has been at fault for fewer retirements than Grosjean whilst at Lotus.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Exediron wrote:
2fast wrote:Love him or hate him, but one thing for sure Pastor Maldonado has won 1 GP in his F1 career, something that Kevin Magnussen hasn't achieved.
He didn't get that win in his rookie year though, so it's a pretty irrelevant comparison against a driver with only a single year in F1. He's got the same number of podiums as Kevin anyway, despite starting almost 5 times as many races.
I felt I had to quote this (again)
Sometimes I think you guys give too much importance at the rookie year thing. Its like in the rookie year you know nothing, and in the second you know everything. No. You know so much about racing already in your rookie year and in the 2nd one you know more, but you can still learn a lot for many years to come.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

nixxxon wrote:
Exediron wrote:
2fast wrote:Love him or hate him, but one thing for sure Pastor Maldonado has won 1 GP in his F1 career, something that Kevin Magnussen hasn't achieved.
He didn't get that win in his rookie year though, so it's a pretty irrelevant comparison against a driver with only a single year in F1. He's got the same number of podiums as Kevin anyway, despite starting almost 5 times as many races.
Sometimes I think you guys give too much importance at the rookie year thing. Its like in the rookie year you know nothing, and in the second you know everything. No. You know so much about racing already in your rookie year and in the 2nd one you know more, but you can still learn a lot for many years to come.
I think it does actually make quite a difference. Not one driver currently on the grid outscored an average or better team mate with at least one seasons experience in their rookie season.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

mikeyg123 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Exediron wrote:
I think it does actually make quite a difference. Not one driver currently on the grid outscored an average or better team mate with at least one seasons experience in their rookie season.
Outscoring or not, true great drivers have shown great pace and great performances in their very first season. Senna, Schumacher, Alonso or Hamilton come to mind

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

nixxxon wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Outscoring or not, true great drivers have shown great pace and great performances in their very first season. Senna, Schumacher, Alonso or Hamilton come to mind
Sure but the 1st season does make a difference in terms of performance.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Hulkenberg's rookie season was worse than Maldonado's in comparison to Barrichello, I feel you have to give drivers at least 2 seasons in F1 to give them a fair chance.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Hulkenberg's rookie season was worse than Maldonado's in comparison to Barrichello, I feel you have to give drivers at least 2 seasons in F1 to give them a fair chance.
Agreed.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Teddy007 wrote:

Completely agree.

Maldanado has been at fault for fewer retirements than Grosjean whilst at Lotus.
He did pick up several driver penalties though like speeding in the pits, passing under yellow flags etc.

He is still a driver who can find a way of messing things up.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

mikeyg123 wrote:Sure but the 1st season does make a difference in terms of performance.
Yes, but it is often exaggerated, thats what I'm saying. Usually drivers have raced for so many years before F1 debut, except for some rare cases like Max Verstappen. Therefore they have experience in racing. Alonso for example had something like 12 years of racing experience when he made his F1 debut at 18

mds

Post by mds »

nixxxon wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:Sure but the 1st season does make a difference in terms of performance.
Yes, but it is often exaggerated, thats what I'm saying. Usually drivers have raced for so many years before F1 debut, except for some rare cases like Max Verstappen. Therefore they have experience in racing. Alonso for example had something like 12 years of racing experience when he made his F1 debut at 18
Driving karts, or F3's, or almost anything else, is something entirely different to F1. The step up to F1 is huge. It's revolution vs evolution: rookies have to learn an awful lot, it's unlike what they've experienced before. The years after that the learnings are incremental and not even remotely comparable to what they have to take in during the rookie year.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

mds wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Driving karts, or F3's, or almost anything else, is something entirely different to F1. The step up to F1 is huge. It's revolution vs evolution: rookies have to learn an awful lot, it's unlike what they've experienced before. The years after that the learnings are incremental and not even remotely comparable to what they have to take in during the rookie year.
See you're exaggerating here. Most of aspects are the same. The difference is the competitiveness and the performance of the cars.
Maybe many years ago the difference between F1 and lower categories was enormous, but not anymore

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

nixxxon wrote:
mds wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
See you're exaggerating here. Most of aspects are the same. The difference is the competitiveness and the performance of the cars.
Maybe many years ago the difference between F1 and lower categories was enormous, but not anymore
I still think drivers often improve massively from their debut seasons and are often beaten by drivers you would expect them to beat. I agree the guys who go onto become real starts often show flashes of brilliance. But look how Button was beaten by Ralf in his debut season, Rosberg beaten by Webber, Kimi beaten by Heidfeld etc. Look how Kubica compared againts Heidfeld in 06 and 07 compared to 08.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

nixxxon wrote:
mds wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Yes I'd have to agree that anecdotal evidence from drivers past and present would suggest that driving an F1 car for the first time now is nowhere near the leap it used to be in the past. They are much tamer.

mds

Post by mds »

nixxxon wrote:
mds wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
I'm not exaggerating. There is a lot to take in when going to F1. There's a plethora of procedures to take in (both car related as well as non car related), the technology is far more advanced and needs time to get a feeling for. Even things that should be simple (and are in lower categories) can be vastly more complex. Just look at the steering wheels for an example of that.

A driver like Magnussen, with a good CV and the reigning champ in one of the main feeder series, has shown us 2 things:
1. the cars are not wild beasts to tame anymore so they are reasonably mild (when compared to before) to drive around the track
2. the cars definitely take a while to get a feeling for. Tyres, driving style, manner of operating, ... . You have to master it all to be able to stand up to someone with experience.

And yes, all of that you have to take in in your rookie year, and in your second year you're used to it all and the changes are far smaller than the step up to F1.

Karts are entirely mechanical. F4's, F3's, even FR3.5's or GP2's are basically straightforward go-fast machines. GP2 has the tyre dependency which a driver has to take in but other than that the operation of a GP2 car is pretty straightforward. I mean, when a driver like Salvatore de Plano can buy a test session in a GP2 car during winter testing and is able to not make a complete joke of himself (other than just being a bit slow), I know enough. A man like that wouldn't be able to run an F1 car around a track at speed if his life depended on it.

mds

Post by mds »

Zoue wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
mds wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Yes I'd have to agree that anecdotal evidence from drivers past and present would suggest that driving an F1 car for the first time now is nowhere near the leap it used to be in the past. They are much tamer.
They are tamer but there's more to take in now.

30 years ago you got in and you drove it. You had pedals, a steering wheel with next to no buttons, and that was it.
Now you study for two months in order to understand the steering wheel, control subsystems, advised driving style, ...

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

mds wrote:
Zoue wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
mds wrote:
nixxxon wrote: Yes, but it is often exaggerated, thats what I'm saying. Usually drivers have raced for so many years before F1 debut, except for some rare cases like Max Verstappen. Therefore they have experience in racing. Alonso for example had something like 12 years of racing experience when he made his F1 debut at 18
They are tamer but there's more to take in now.

30 years ago you got in and you drove it. You had pedals, a steering wheel with next to no buttons, and that was it.
Now you study for two months in order to understand the steering wheel, control subsystems, advised driving style, ...
Agreed. But we are talking Playstation generation here. I don't think it would be as foreign a concept as you might imagine

mds

Post by mds »

Zoue wrote: Agreed. But we are talking Playstation generation here. I don't think it would be as foreign a concept as you might imagine
There's a rather big difference between leaning back in a comfortable couch and playing a game, and being in an actual car with 900HP and having to deliver all that to the track. :)

I'm not saying it's an insurmountable challenge, the point I want to make is merely that a rookie year is a lot different to all follow-up years in which all changes and learnings are incremental.

Lentulus

Post by Lentulus »

Zoue wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
mds wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
According to Martin Brundle this has been the state of affairs for a good number of years.
He said it when Vettel made his debut, and said it earlier than that (though the Vettel one is the earliest I can remember the specific time Brundle said it).

purchville

Post by purchville »

Placid wrote:The source is confirmed. Renault representatives are heading to Venezuela to discuss if PDVSA was in breach of contract..

If so: Maldonado's season could be over before testing begins.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/magnu ... ds-667592/
Watching the P.O.O over the last couple of months I've been waiting for something like this
PF1 Pick 10 Competition:
- 6 victories (Germany '20, Italy '19, Mexico '18, Singapore '18, USA '17, USA '16, Mexico '16),
- 7 podiums
- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

purchville wrote:
Placid wrote:The source is confirmed. Renault representatives are heading to Venezuela to discuss if PDVSA was in breach of contract..

Watching the P.O.O over the last couple of months I've been waiting for something like this
Watching the what?
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

mcdo wrote:
purchville wrote:

Watching the what?
Had to scratch my head on that one too, but I think it's Price Of Oil.
{Insert clever sig line here}

purchville

Post by purchville »

RaggedMan wrote:
mcdo wrote:
purchville wrote:

Watching the what?
Had to scratch my head on that one too, but I think it's Price Of Oil.
Correct
PF1 Pick 10 Competition:
- 6 victories (Germany '20, Italy '19, Mexico '18, Singapore '18, USA '17, USA '16, Mexico '16),
- 7 podiums
- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Webber doesn't seem to rate Maldonado very highly

http://planetf1.com/news/webber-vettels ... the-worst/
Asked who was the ‘worst driver he’d ever shared a track with’, he (Webber) answered: “Probably Maldonado.

“He’s out of his depth and just shouldn’t be there. He’s making up the numbers basically.”

I think that's a bit harsh.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:Webber doesn't seem to rate Maldonado very highly

Asked who was the ‘worst driver he’d ever shared a track with’, he (Webber) answered: “Probably Maldonado.

“He’s out of his depth and just shouldn’t be there. He’s making up the numbers basically.”

It's also a load of rubbish. Even if we just consider F1 Webber drove at the same time as Ide.

Maldanado has never been the worse driver on the grid in F1.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:

It's also a load of rubbish. Even if we just consider F1 Webber drove at the same time as Ide.

Maybe he sees Maldonado as being the worse driver in terms of wheel to wheel combat, I know Webber hated having to deal with Maldonado on the track.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

theferret

Post by theferret »

mikeyg123 wrote:

Did he ever really share track with Ide? Ide was always so far behind!
NH#1: Quick Nick Heidfeld
NH#2: HULK SMASH

PF1 Pick 10 Podiums: 6 (2nd IND '11; 1st JPN '12; 1st MCO '13; 3rd DEU '16; 3rd USA '16, 3rd MEX '16)

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

From 2010-2013 there were plenty of guys throwing wads of cash around to get their turn behind the wheel of lesser teams' cars. I don't know what Webber has against the guy but Maldonando is a quite capable driver. Maybe Maldonado never cared to rub elbowz with Mark would be my guess as to the reasoning behind this statement.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Autosport now reporting that it's as good as a done deal, Kev's in and Pastor's out:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122625
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

mikeyg123 wrote:

:thumbup: However I would be happy to see Magnussen given another chance.
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

mcdo wrote:Autosport now reporting that it's as good as a done deal, Kev's in and Pastor's out:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122625
You beat me to it. Interesting to see what KM can do if this indeed goes ahead

owenmahamilton

Post by owenmahamilton »

No sad loss in my opinion.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Very glad to see Magnussen back although I think Pastor did well enough over the past few years to stay.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Three words: No Great Loss
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition