Magnussen to Replace Maldonado?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
mcdo

Magnussen to Replace Maldonado?

Post by mcdo »

Anyone else seen anything more substantial on this? I haven't been here in a month, this is the first thing in a while to make me sit up and take notice

The article claims that KMag is trying to get a seat at Renault and that the reserve driver position is still open. All well and good. But then they claim that KMag could actually be replacing Maldonado. Did the author just make that up or has anyone else seen this anywhere?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... eason.html
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Herb

Re: Magnussen to Replace Maldonado?

Post by Herb »

That would be great news.

more on the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35299887

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Herb wrote:That would be great news.

more on the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35299887
Now, that is more substantial. Thanks!

Silly Season may not be over just yet
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Maldonado's sponsors need to pay £35m if Maldonado has to retain his seat!
Feel The Fourth

Amon

Post by Amon »

I for one would be happy to see the back of Pastor. Not that I'm a big fan of KM but I don't think he is bad and I think he has more unfulfilled potential than Pastor. Pastor won a race in his second season on which he can no longer rely as he showed very little after that. And if they don't need his money any more either than he can only sign for a cash strapped team like Sauber or Manor.
Still would be nice to have Vandoorne in the team as well but I guess that would be a bit too much inexperience (but Palmer has no F1 racing experience either just like Vandoorne). Not that I expect Renault among the frontrunners though.
F1 fan since 1989

moby

Post by moby »

Dont you think it more likely that as KM is already signed in as reserve driver, if PM goes, they will bring in a replacement to the race seat?

Be it money or talent, there are better options out there. One of them just waiting to test this years Mclaren.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Despite being a GP2 Champion I guess it just shows what many of us already thought, that Maldonado is very much a pay driver and when the money dries up so will his F1 career.

KMag himself does not have a massive amount of F1 experience and let's not forget he was dropped by McLaren however unfortunate that might have been, but again it shows the low standing that Maldonado has in F1 that Renault would quite happy to replace him with KMag, a driver that brings little to no sponsorship to the team.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

theferret

Post by theferret »

Whilst it's likely this is simply a move to give Maldo's money the hurry up, this would be a very good signing for Renault - at least in terms of results. I'm sure Magnussen has a lot more to show in F1 after his debut season, and I'd expect him to beat Palmer.

Let's not forget that whilst not considered the best driver on the grid, Button was his first team-mate - a world champion and good match for Hamilton before and Alonso afterwards (this does not equal me saying Button is as good as either driver - he's just matched up better than anyone against these guys - except Hamilton and Alonso against themselves). So whilst his first year wasn't stellar, I think he is harshly criticised mostly due to the fact he didn't perform that well in comparison to a guy who is the most experienced on the grid and is still bloody quick, and he deserves another year.

Renault won't be good this year, but who knows how they'll perform in 2017.
NH#1: Quick Nick Heidfeld
NH#2: HULK SMASH

PF1 Pick 10 Podiums: 6 (2nd IND '11; 1st JPN '12; 1st MCO '13; 3rd DEU '16; 3rd USA '16, 3rd MEX '16)

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Magnussen is a very good driver but not worth the 35 mil. That money would be better spent on the car than a possible slight driver upgrade.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

moby wrote:Dont you think it more likely that as KM is already signed in as reserve driver, if PM goes, they will bring in a replacement to the race seat?

Be it money or talent, there are better options out there. One of them just waiting to test this years Mclaren.
Is Magnussen already signed as reserve? I thought they were still in talks

And I doubt McLaren would let the likes of Renault touch Vandoorne. There's no link between their racing teams or anything
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

I won't miss him. Magnussen deserves another shot.

Failing that, bring back RK!
#KeepFightingMichael

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:Magnussen is a very good driver but not worth the 35 mil. That money would be better spent on the car than a possible slight driver upgrade.
Well I think the point is no $35M then no Pastor.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mcdo wrote:
moby wrote:Dont you think it more likely that as KM is already signed in as reserve driver, if PM goes, they will bring in a replacement to the race seat?

And I doubt McLaren would let the likes of Renault touch Vandoorne. There's no link between their racing teams or anything
Well there was a slight link at one time with rumours of Vandoorne's manager Nicolas Todt becoming team manager of Renault F1, although Prost now seems to be favourite.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

MistaVega23 wrote:I won't miss him. Magnussen deserves another shot.

Failing that, bring back RK!
Kubica?

Unfortunately his disability forbids that.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Amon

Post by Amon »

pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Well there was a slight link at one time with rumours of Vandoorne's manager Nicolas Todt becoming team manager of Renault F1, although Prost now seems to be favourite.
Alain Prost?
Would he still want to do this job after the adventure with Ligier. I know it's long ago now and Renault has of course much more backing.
F1 fan since 1989

Placid

Post by Placid »

The source is confirmed. Renault representatives are heading to Venezuela to discuss if PDVSA was in breach of contract..

If so: Maldonado's season could be over before testing begins.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/magnu ... ds-667592/

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Amon wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Alain Prost?
Would he still want to do this job after the adventure with Ligier. I know it's long ago now and Renault has of course much more backing.
Well that was the problem before, lack of funds, it would be different with Renault.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

moby

Post by moby »

mcdo wrote:

I meant the "other" driver at Mclaren. Taking Van D is a bigger risk than KM, but if Alonso were to decide there was no chance in the new car, he would not get a better seat at short notice.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

moby wrote:
mcdo wrote:

I meant the "other" driver at Mclaren. Taking Van D is a bigger risk than KM, but if Alonso were to decide there was no chance in the new car, he would not get a better seat at short notice.
I will go out on a limb and say that the McLaren will be better than the Renault this season.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Amon

Post by Amon »

moby wrote:
mcdo wrote:

I don't think it is a bigger risk than signing Palmer both don't have any F1 racing experience.
F1 fan since 1989

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Amon wrote:
moby wrote:
mcdo wrote:

I don't think it is a bigger risk than signing Palmer both don't have any F1 racing experience.
Palmer was signed to drive alongside Maldonado though, believe it or not he would be classed as an experienced driver :)
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

DaveStebbins

Post by DaveStebbins »

If PDVSA have already paid, Maldonado will race. If they have not, things could get cloudy. PDVSA are losing money with the current price of oil and support may be waning with the recent elections changing the majority in Venezuela's parliament. It will be interesting to see what develops.

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

Interesting but I seem to remember seeing his Sponsorship actually being $29 Million DOLLARS which is less than what's being reported.

Furthermore, it's a known fact the Venezuelan government did a full probe into the misspending of federal funds for sports endeavors and tried to terminate all funding for things they deemed unnecessary and F1 was mighty high on that list. How Maldonado's funding didn't get pulled is beyond me. Maybe this is the reason behind the payment being MIA.

Pastor is actually a solid driver and given the right machinery he has the stuff to win. No one knows for sure if other drivers are indeed better but engineers and associates from both Williams and Renault have praised both his driving and technical feedback. Having said that the prospect of seeing Magnussen back in an F1 car is pretty exciting.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

Randine

Post by Randine »

F1 MERCENARY wrote:Interesting but I seem to remember seeing his Sponsorship actually being $29 Million DOLLARS which is less than what's being reported.

Furthermore, it's a known fact the Venezuelan government did a full probe into the misspending of federal funds for sports endeavors and tried to terminate all funding for things they deemed unnecessary and F1 was mighty high on that list. How Maldonado's funding didn't get pulled is beyond me. Maybe this is the reason behind the payment being MIA.

Pastor is actually a solid driver and given the right machinery he has the stuff to win. No one knows for sure if other drivers are indeed better but engineers and associates from both Williams and Renault have praised both his driving and technical feedback. Having said that the prospect of seeing Magnussen back in an F1 car is pretty exciting.
I agree, I think Pastor is better than most admit or remember.
It is hard to shake the Crashtor type names.
What I dislike far more about him is the whole pay driver thing.
I think pay drivers are normally viewed as being there not on talent but money.
I would like to see the whole field are the top drivers based on experience and skill.
Pastor has talent winning 1 race and being GP2 champion, but based on some of his prior seasons, he would not still be in F1 in not for the cash.

What about JEV.
I would have loved to have seen Kmag and JEV given another shot at Renault.
The success of Hamilton and the Red Bull driver program seem like a lot of teams almost prefer to try rookie with potential over someone with experience and also potential.

Also, for me the driver pair of Parmer and Pastor would probably be the worst to drive car development.
Dan the man!

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

F1 MERCENARY wrote:Interesting but I seem to remember seeing his Sponsorship actually being $29 Million DOLLARS which is less than what's being reported.

I remember Bottas saying that he learned nothing from Maldonado during his rookie season which seemed to point more to a driver who is somewhat lacking, can we say that Maldonado has improved over the years as a F1 driver apart from not being as reckless?

I can't say that I see evidence in his actual results.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2fast

Post by 2fast »

Love him or hate him, but one thing for sure Pastor Maldonado has won 1 GP in his F1 career, something that Kevin Magnussen hasn't achieved.
too fast to slow down

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

2fast wrote:Love him or hate him, but one thing for sure Pastor Maldonado has won 1 GP in his F1 career, something that Kevin Magnussen hasn't achieved.
He didn't get that win in his rookie year though, so it's a pretty irrelevant comparison against a driver with only a single year in F1. He's got the same number of podiums as Kevin anyway, despite starting almost 5 times as many races.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

Exediron wrote:
2fast wrote:Love him or hate him, but one thing for sure Pastor Maldonado has won 1 GP in his F1 career, something that Kevin Magnussen hasn't achieved.
He didn't get that win in his rookie year though, so it's a pretty irrelevant comparison against a driver with only a single year in F1. He's got the same number of podiums as Kevin anyway, despite starting almost 5 times as many races.
A million podiums would not stand anywhere near a win in F1. And it wasn't just any win it was a deserved win and a pole position!

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

I'm not sure how to read this. How should this be a factor in determining whether KM should replace PM?

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Rockie wrote:
Exediron wrote:
A million podiums would not stand anywhere near a win in F1. And it wasn't just any win it was a deserved win and a pole position!
Can't say I'd agree with this. A single win could simply be a perfect storm of events. A million (or any significant number) of podiums suggests consistent performance. A lot depends on the opposition at the time, too

Amon

Post by Amon »

Rockie wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Not saying it was undeserved even though you could make a case what if Lewis was not sent to the back of the grid.
And also what did show Pastor after that win, very little and inconsistent results. It seems he just had everything together that day. Win or no win he remains among the bottom drivers for me.
Heikki got a win too and I don't think he was good either. Solid but underwhelming.
F1 fan since 1989

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Rockie wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Sure he made a history with his win, but it is all history now. What else he can bring to Renault? Renault is not going to hire driver only because he won race few years ago.
eeee

Ennis

Post by Ennis »

Rockie wrote:
Exediron wrote:
I'm sure teams would disagree. They'd rather have a guy who finishes 2nd twenty times than a guy who finishes 1st once.

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

Ennis wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Exediron wrote:
I'm sure teams would disagree. They'd rather have a guy who finishes 2nd twenty times than a guy who finishes 1st once.
This. 360 points compared to 25? It's a no-brainer.

Magnussen deserves another shot at F1. Maldonado has had his opportunity to prove his worth and his reputation as a crash-magnet exceeds that of any actual driving talent. Far more promising drivers have been shown the door in recent seasons; the reason Pastor has remained in F1 for as long as he has is 100% purely down to his backing. No other reason.
#KeepFightingMichael

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

Zoue wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Can't say I'd agree with this. A single win could simply be a perfect storm of events. A million (or any significant number) of podiums suggests consistent performance. A lot depends on the opposition at the time, too
This win wasn't a perfect storm of events, it was fully deserved as, he withstood pressure from Alonso all the way through that win.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

Ennis wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Which teams would disagree?

Ask Toro Rosso, Vettel's win still remains the high point of their F1 history, since Montoya only Maldonaldo has won for Williams.

Every team wants to win, now the argument you put forward can be looked at this way, as a team owner would you have Williams or RBR considering with a better engine Williams have not come close to challenging for win.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Rockie wrote:
Ennis wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Ask Toro Rosso, Vettel's win still remains the high point of their F1 history, since Montoya only Maldonaldo has won for Williams.

Every team wants to win, now the argument you put forward can be looked at this way, as a team owner would you have Williams or RBR considering with a better engine Williams have not come close to challenging for win.
Renault as a team won multiple races and titles and single win would mean little to them. More, Maldonado isn't looking as driver who can win on regular basis if at all.
eeee

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Rockie wrote:
Ennis wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Exediron wrote:

I think Williams have shown from recent race strategies that they would much sooner take multiple podiums than one win. And who doesn't remember Sauber's message to Perez when the Mexican was closing in on victory in Malaysia 2012?

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I do get bored of constantly having to defend Maldanado and I do think Magnussen is probably the better driver but yet again the level of criticism Pastor receives is completely disproportionate.

He had a bad season in 2013 and was iratic as f**k in 2012. Other than that he's had a pretty solid career. Better debut season against Barrichello than Hulkenberg. A good couple of years at Lotus where he has really only been a touch behind Grosjean for pace and made less race ending errors.

Then of course you do have the win Perez, Hulkenberg and Grosjean have all had strong winning opertunities and not taken them.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Rockie wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Exediron wrote:
This win wasn't a perfect storm of events, it was fully deserved as, he withstood pressure from Alonso all the way through that win.
Perfect storm doesn't mean it was not deserved. The fact that Lewis was sent to the back of the grid for a technical infringement no doubt helped his chances. The fact that Pastor never again even got close to a podium, let alone a win, indicates that things just came together for him that day.

The point is that a single win, no matter how well deserved, can't replace consistent success, even if the same heady heights aren't reached. Pastor has been beaten by every team mate he has had since then and it would be strange indeed to ignore everything he's done in his career in favour of that single win.