You know you watch / play too much F1 when.....

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Angel De La Muerte

You know you watch / play too much F1 when.....

Post by Angel De La Muerte »

Just thought I would create a fun thread like this!

Basic idea is things you do in real life that is connected to F1 but is completely pointless... mad... or down right crazy!

One of mine is that when setting off on a journey in a car, I usually start with a Murray Walker style 'GO GO GO'

Another is positioning things in the trolley according to weight to get a good weight distribution to help with handling!

So how has F1 effected your lives?
Last edited by Angel De La Muerte on Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F1_Bird

Re: You know you watch / play to much F1 when.....

Post by F1_Bird »

I always put my foot down when the traffic lights go green!
Last edited by F1_Bird on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lamo

Post by lamo »

:lol:

I've done both of those, on the topic of a shopping trolley I also have some great lines through the supermarket even when "fat with fuel" carrying lots of weight.

Also conversations with my race engineer when I am on my motor bike needing to overtake a car "you have to overtake soon, you're losing lots of time here, use the DRS and keys".

When I climb into our bath, that is a slipper bath so like getting into a cockpit.

Oh and I'm an F1 memorabilia dealer just to top it off.

Colinjb

Post by Colinjb »

When you start measuring your 'lap times' around Coventry ring road...

...and refer to different grades of pencil erasers as 'compounds.'

matzy

Post by matzy »

*shudder*

I live near Coventry and that ring road is horrific.

On-topic:- tilting your head like they do in F1 cock-pits to counter-act the geforce ... but you are in a 1.0 litre Nissan Micra, doing 26 miles per hour ...

Angel De La Muerte

matzy wrote:*shudder*

On-topic:- tilting your head like they do in F1 cock-pits to counter-act the geforce ... but you are in a 1.0 litre Nissan Micra, doing 26 miles per hour ...

Oh I have done that!

Also as a child I use to run around the outside of the play ground making f1 noises and pretending I was in a f1 car and holding a steering wheel! :blush:

Ysmalari

Post by Ysmalari »

I have been known late at night to take the racing line on dual carriage-ways and remind myself to 'Hug the apex like it's my favourite Granny!' (Naughty I know, I only do it when it's empty)

I often refer to stops for fuel as a 'splash and dash' :lol:

amirb

Post by amirb »

trying to find the racing line when driving to/from work

simonbalaam

Post by simonbalaam »

Where I used to live there was a road that had a layout just like Eau Rouge (well I thought it did) and in my old little Fiesta used to take the racing line as much as I could on my side of the road making sure I clipped the drain cover on the apex of the corner!!!

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

my girlfriend told me that F1 sucks

she is single now

just kidding

she is dead
eeee

Arry_2k

Post by Arry_2k »

.... after riding your motorbike home from work you remove your helmet & ear plugs in the garage and pretend that you are in 'green room' behind the podium! :blush:

hotglassman

Post by hotglassman »

I once tried left foot braking (on an empty road)........never again 8O

sgt.hartman

Post by sgt.hartman »

The first thing I do after closing the door and pushing 'start' is turn off the traction control in my car. It started back in 2008 with the ethos of "If they don't have it, I don't have it".

Terrible.
PLAY A RECORD KARL COS I'M GUNNA KNOCK YOU OUT!!!

sgt.hartman

Post by sgt.hartman »

hotglassman wrote:I once tried left foot braking (on an empty road)........never again 8O

I did that on the road that circles The Downs in Bristol on quite a busy day - narrowly avoided a head-on.

Tael

Post by Tael »

My negative response to others on the road is the vertical open palm wave, sort of like what the drivers do when backmarkers take their time to get out of the way.
- NICO ROSBERG, 2010-present

- DANIEL RICCICHIARDO, compatriot

SuperRichi-F1

Post by SuperRichi-F1 »

F1_Bird wrote:I always put my foot down when the traffic lights go green!

Surely you mean when the red lights go out? :D

Donington93

Post by Donington93 »

You line up behind someone at a traffic light and lament their slow getaway affecting your "position" as you are bottled up behind them.

You refer to your passing through a toll plaza as your in and out laps and try to do them as fast as possible.

Angel De La Muerte

Tael wrote:My negative response to others on the road is the vertical open palm wave, sort of like what the drivers do when backmarkers take their time to get out of the way.

Oh I do that, so easy, did not think of it as related to F1 till you mentioned it! but where else would I get it from? lol

stealthdog

Post by stealthdog »

Tael wrote:My negative response to others on the road is the vertical open palm wave, sort of like what the drivers do when backmarkers take their time to get out of the way.

I do this too. Like i'm a member of the Russian Polit Bureau.

matzy

Post by matzy »

Angel De La Muerte wrote:

Oh I have done that!

Also as a child I use to run around the outside of the play ground making f1 noises and pretending I was in a f1 car and holding a steering wheel! :blush:

oh yes, I have done that one too ... my Uncle worked for Goodyear at the time (who supplied the tyres) so I had a Goodyear Jacket and a Goodyear cap. I wore both, all the time, even during the summer, and especially when indoors ... I used to zip the Goodyear jacket right up to my chin, because it kinda looked like racing overalls ... awwww I bet the teachers used to think that was pretty cute for a 7/8 year old :)

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Mental "downshifting" while overtaking pedestrians!

Every day I get on the M1 towards London on Junction 6, which has a combo of a right and left hand corner. I always take it "on the apex", my wheels just about touching the white "rumble strips"! If I don't touch the strip then I didn't find the apex, so disappointing... Always do that, getting the optimum speed to join the M1

rillist

Post by rillist »

every weekend me and my buddies follow the season in f1 2011, with our own point structures and full wheel and race seat setup. Ive set up my road car with adjustable suspension which i change weekly depending on where my sunday drive will take me, sometimes i wear a bucket.....
My nickname in that group of friends is kimi, not just because im fast, but because i replicated his drunken tumble off the yacht.... Mine was from a couch, but lipstanded almost the same.... My buddy made a video comparison....
But most of all, I was at montreal last year.... For the whole fecking thing.

Im also sadly single
A real driver is one who wins a championship in a car that shouldn't

sgt.hartman

Post by sgt.hartman »

Entering a roundabout on a dual carriageway most people go for the inside, my favourite thing to do in that situation is overtake them around the outside. It's especially satisfying if it's against someone who has seen you coming so is up for the challenge and your rear end starts stepping out a little, esp on the power.

sgt.hartman

Post by sgt.hartman »

matzy wrote:

Oh I have done that!

oh yes, I have done that one too ... my Uncle worked for Goodyear at the time (who supplied the tyres) so I had a Goodyear Jacket and a Goodyear cap. I wore both, all the time, even during the summer, and especially when indoors ... I used to zip the Goodyear jacket right up to my chin, because it kinda looked like racing overalls ... awwww I bet the teachers used to think that was pretty cute for a 7/8 year old :)

My time was split between pretending I was in an F1 car and pretending I was in the Delorean travelling back/forward in time.

matzy

Post by matzy »

sgt.hartman wrote:
matzy wrote:

Oh I have done that!

My time was split between pretending I was in an F1 car and pretending I was in the Delorean travelling back/forward in time.

ooh wow ... yes, I think we are obviously from the same era ;)

If I wasn't pretending to drive an F1 car, I was pretending to fly "Airwolf" around the playground :lol:

pumaknight

Post by pumaknight »

You know you watch / play too uch F1 when you make engine noises in your head and take the line with teh superrmarket shopping trolley / or walking in the Tube statin :D

j man

Post by j man »

By my house there's a chicane in the road with rumble strips put in as a traffic calming measure. For me (and several others) it has the totally opposite effect as I can't help but attack the kerbs Monza-style. I am also very tempted to sneak out there one night and paint them red and white....

As others have said I also like to take the racing line when the road is empty. There's a section on the northbound side of the A1 dual carriageway just south of Huntingdon that has a superb S-bend in it!

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

.. when I "hit the apex" while walking around a turn.

When I slipstream while walking behind someone to gain on them. :blush:

When I overtake them too fast(while walking, yes) and get a little unbalanced, I use opposite lock on my feet. :blush: :blush:

2stinky

Re: You know you watch / play too much F1 when.....

Post by 2stinky »

you think that .5 secs is a long time.

Khazrak134

Post by Khazrak134 »

... When ur girlfriend starts to understand F1 just because you blab about it all the time.

happened to me last night when me and my bro were talking about Australia GP and she was like.... I KNOW WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT!!!

LukasMueller

Post by LukasMueller »

When I get recklessly close to the back of a car in front and then peel to the side and hit pretend KERS buttons with complete disregard for the passengers in my or other people's cars. Not sorry.
Vettel, Schumacher, Rosberg, Hulkenberg

...not Glock

floydhead

Post by floydhead »

Does this thread prove that F1 spawned boy racers?
Don't think I like F1 quite as much as I used to :uhoh:
Lots of love,
A McLaren fan

F1otherness

Post by F1otherness »

Angel De La Muerte wrote:Just thought I would create a fun thread like this!

Basic idea is things you do in real life that is connected to F1 but is completely pointless... mad... or down right crazy!

One of mine is that when setting off on a journey in a car, I usually start with a Murray Walker style 'GO GO GO'

Another is positioning things in the trolley according to weight to get a good weight distribution to help with handling!

So how has F1 effected your lives?

I try to drive like Jenson Button, always smooth, not abrupt....letting off the brake at the apex of my turns, then onto the gas...
Oh...and I rib any NASCAR fan if they ask for it....by proclaiming theirs is the better sport....
Smell Color:See Sound:Touch Light

F1otherness

Post by F1otherness »

j man wrote:By my house there's a chicane in the road with rumble strips put in as a traffic calming measure. For me (and several others) it has the totally opposite effect as I can't help but attack the kerbs Monza-style. I am also very tempted to sneak out there one night and paint them red and white....

As others have said I also like to take the racing line when the road is empty. There's a section on the northbound side of the A1 dual carriageway just south of Huntingdon that has a superb S-bend in it!

Me too here in the states...there is a chicane on the way to my kids school...and they are always like..."F1 it dad!"....sometime I do... :blush:

I once drove from NY to SC which is a 14.5 hour drive for normal people...but I decided to take the racing line every chance I got....it took me 12 hours with two pee stops...lol
Smell Color:See Sound:Touch Light

the incubus

Post by the incubus »

You know you watch too much F1 (c'mon as if there truly was such a thing :rolleyes:) when your 3-year old son (he has a twin sister) brings you his toy matchbox cars and goes yyyyyyeeeeeeeounnnnnggggggggggg! LOL

He also cannot see his older brother's and my racing karts without sitting in them, often for hours as we perform maintenance, only to throw a hissy fit when dad needs to take him out of the seat so he can test it.

As well, driving on the highway here doing 90mph and dropping my Mazda3 into tiptronic mode so I can pass the snails that are texting and putting on their makeup on the road. As well, half way through my commute I have a series of quick winding ramps both ways and I thoroughly enjoy dropping it into 2nd gear to shred my tires just the way I do on the Track. A bit crazy for most but I started riding bikes at the ripe old age of 4 and then moved on to driving just about everything. Too bad my parents never supported my efforts or who knows where motorsport would have taken me (the 4-wheel open-wheel variety as a hip replacement left me too respectful/afraid of more sever injury). LOL
Second place is the first loser!

neilf1

Post by neilf1 »

dizlexik wrote:my girlfriend told me that F1 sucks

she is single now

just kidding

she is dead

:lol: :lol: Love it!!!

neilf1

Post by neilf1 »

When im in slow moving traffic I weave from side to side to keep the heat in my tyres!

Ash.

Post by Ash. »

You lurk on PF1 forum all day but never post
Magnussen 2014

amirb

Post by amirb »

neilf1 wrote:When im in slow moving traffic I weave from side to side to keep the heat in my tyres!

:thumbup: I do this to, while leaving a gap so I can accelerate rapidly

floydhead

Post by floydhead »

Lots of love,
A McLaren fan