Has anyone read Max Mosley's autobiography?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Balibari
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Has anyone read Max Mosley's autobiography?

Post by Balibari »

I just don't know what to say. I read a lot of autobiographies by people from all walks of life but I've never come across someone so delusional, conceited and narcissistic. On subjects from his fascist parents to his racing career, from March to the FOCA/FISA war, from the FIA presidency to the News of the World incident, everybody who disagrees with or challenges him is smugly written off as a moron. Halfway through I started counting the number of times he faces a challenge from some team boss, lawyer or official and responds with the comically ubiquitous 'he was so wrong (intellectually inferior) I just felt sorry for him'. He says this of seven people after already saying it so often it made me want to start taking note. He has a fascinating inability to understand how someone can look at the same information as him but form an opinion different to his. He takes every disagreement personally and with genuine bemusement will repeatedly say things like 'I don't know why (so and so) fought me on this'. Probably because they'd formed a different opinion, Max. It's not always just because they hate you.

The narcissism is staggering. When Bahrain cancelled their invitation to him at the height of his sex scandal it didn't cross his mind that it might have been because they're a very conservative nation and he was a powerful, married, elected official who'd just been caught with a bunch of S&M hookers (never mind the subsequently discredited but at the time very high profile Nazi angle). To him it was because they wanted to damage him... again leading him to wonder why they'd want to do that. What? To him, for no reason Bahrain did something that makes no sense. He doesn't even entertain the somewhat reasonable explanation, the one that does make sense. It's exasperating at times.

If you believed it all you'd come away assuming he could have been the greatest racing driver ever, that he's the best thing that happened to road safety (the credit he takes is amazing, seemingly most of the whole world was determined that as many people as possible be killed on the roads and only thanks to Max are we alive today), that the simple minded British public missed out on a great political leader and that only he is clever enough to run the FIA properly. Other than the odd character that supports him in an hour of need his fascist father and Bernie seem to be the only humans he respects.

At the end of the day this is the only entertaining aspect, on the whole it's too guarded and superficial to be of further interest. It's written in a very dry, almost legal fashion and is so one sided even his accounts of the FOCA/FISA war and spy scandals etc. are dull. There's the constant sense you're only getting his side of the story, which is the sign of a bad autobiography (often of course you are only getting one side of the story, the trick is to be magnanimous enough that it doesn't seem that way). He adds nothing to the public domain about his parents' close friendship with Hitler (short of multiple caveats and justifications) and says nothing of juicy stuff like his holidays with Franco or involvement in the Notting Hill race riots.

Sorry that turned into a bit of an essay. And sorry if you think it's an unwarranted assault! But he deserves nothing less in my opinion.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

Jenson's Understeer

Re: Has anyone read Max Mosley's autobiography?

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

If he ever reads this, I imagine he'll think you're so wrong that he just feels sorry for you. ;)

I actually forgot his autobiography had come out, and when I saw this thread it reminded me of its existence. And for a fleeting moment as I entered the thread I thought, "I meant to give that a read." But having read all you've said, it sounds like one to steer well clear of!
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

Chunky

Post by Chunky »

I'm waiting until I see it on sale in the 99p store. We need something to put under a wonky table leg.

Blake

Post by Blake »

I refuse to donate any of my money to Max' cause... so the answer is, "nope"
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

I have no interest in the man
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

stevefromstoke

Post by stevefromstoke »

Is it called Mein Vater's Kamf ?
Sosh says ...

SmoothRide

Post by SmoothRide »

Balibari wrote:...he was a powerful, married, elected official who'd just been caught with a bunch of S&M hookers...
Hehehehe, you just can't make that stuff up. Regardless of everything, I feel a strange sympathy for Mosley with all the flaws that he has. I hold him in higher esteem than generic, backstabbing, supplicating drones filling corporate offices everywhere. He has done a lot of behind the scenes work for Formula 1 and his prowess as an expert in legal matters is widely known.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I think Mosley was a far better head of the FIA than Todt has been.

He does have plenty of faults though.

chaz986

Post by chaz986 »

Fair play for reading it beyond the first page! I would have just used it as bog paper or a fire lighter.

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

Jenson's Understeer wrote:If he ever reads this, I imagine he'll think you're so wrong that he just feels sorry for you. ;)
:lol:
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker

James14

Post by James14 »

I seen him (on TV) and heard him (on Radio) recently and he came across as a well balanced, intelligent and interesting person.
But he was trying to sell his book. So who knows?

paulsf1fix

Post by paulsf1fix »

I still can't get over what he did to F1........ he put grooves on the tyres and made the cars look tiny, I know he did it on safety grounds. I wouldn't personelly read Max's book, I'd rather read Flavio Briatore's book if it came about in a business way.

quere

Post by quere »

Thank you for that review, Balibari. I think the word narcissism goes a long way to summing the man up. That characteristic well explains his appalling errors of judgement over the years. Narcissism goes hand in glove with sociopathy and he appears to have both attributes in spades

Of course, Mosley is utterly appalling but a part of me is fascinated to read the book. His story is certainly interesting, he has made a lot of things happen (read March and the FOCA/FISA wars) but I must say I find it somewhat dispiriting that such an obviously large intellect is so flawed.

I'll keep a lookout here in Melbourne for a copy on the remainders shelves. I see it's still selling for biggish dollars at Amazon and other online bookstores. I'll wait!

BTW, I don't think we ever found out who tipped off the News of the World about the carry-on in the Chelsea basement, did we?