Attending a GP

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
schumisux

Re: Attending a GP

Post by schumisux »

Has the booking for the Indian Grand Prix opened? Last year I booked through an Indian site rather than f1.com, they don't have tickets available yet. Does anyone have an update?

FlyingScot

Post by FlyingScot »

schumisux wrote:Has the booking for the Indian Grand Prix opened? Last year I booked through an Indian site rather than f1.com, they don't have tickets available yet. Does anyone have an update?

Tickets on F1.com seem to be available:
http://uktickets.formula1.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=tsdt&stat=5&flgc=0&loid=180000&ofid=17501&sdat=25/10/2013&edat=27/10/2013&wtid=28&rfrr=India&mdpcid=wwte.uk.300-30004.mnc.tsh.trv.&eapid=300-30004

I used bookf1.com for the Spanish GP this year, they were very good!
http://www.bookf1.com/f1-india/tickets.htm

Luukas1969

Post by Luukas1969 »

I am going to Hungaroring. It is my first F1 GP trip :)
Iceman Kimi Räikkönen!

Ascari

Post by Ascari »

Hoping to get to the Belgium Gp for the first time this year! Can any recommend the best viewing spots around the circuit?

tmzxaar

Post by tmzxaar »

Going to Spa this year, got weekend Gold 8 - La Source tickets in early January this year. Can't wait!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have a few questions :

1. If there is such, when is the official autograph session at Spa usually, and is it easy to get a driver's autograph, or are there big crowds so it's hard?

2. I would really like to get a driver's autograph and a picture with him so is there any way to get this besides the method mentioned in question one?

3. Can you recommend any interesting places to visit other than the Spa motorsport museum?

4. I will be in a flat about 40km from Spa so where is the best place to park within a 15-20 minute walk?

5. When does the circuit open in the morning?

Thanks. :D
H&H

painless

Post by painless »

tmzxaar wrote:3. Can you recommend any interesting places to visit other than the Spa motorsport museum?

4. I will be in a flat about 40km from Spa so where is the best place to park within a 15-20 minute walk?

5. When does the circuit open in the morning?

#3 depends on your interests!
#4 belgian traffic cops will direct you to a different spot on Friday, Saturday and Sunday - don't ask me why
#5 after you've negotiated the traffic, the cops, the police dogs!!

Steve_muzzy

Post by Steve_muzzy »

Going to monza, first race so just cant wait. I have decent tickets (grandstand5) so happy :).

Question is being both a mclaren and hamilton fan do i pretend i am not and wear red all weekend?

Also anyone with tips would be appreciated!

FlyingScot

Post by FlyingScot »

Steve_muzzy wrote:Question is being both a mclaren and hamilton fan do i pretend i am not and wear red all weekend?

When my dad and I went to Barca, he wore a Lotus t-shirt but a Mercedes (Lewis) cap because he really likes Hamilton. A bit mismatched but he didn't care. :lol:

Turbo Guaman

Post by Turbo Guaman »

Steve_muzzy wrote:Going to monza, first race so just cant wait. I have decent tickets (grandstand5) so happy :).

Question is being both a mclaren and hamilton fan do i pretend i am not and wear red all weekend?

Also anyone with tips would be appreciated!

I was there for 2003 GP. Incredible experience. My tip is, if you want to invade the track and be at the podium ceremony, do it 2-3 laps before the end. That's when some people start cutting or making holes through the fences and once the race is over, fans swarm to the track. I managed to be in one of the first groups of people that entered the track and got right under the podium, which was pretty cool. I was lucky that Schumy won so the tiffosi went crazy.

gleichgültig

Post by gleichgültig »

Did anybody go to Austin last year?

I'm trying to book accommodation now but I don't know how easy/frequent the buses are. Do I need to be near the park and ride pick up point or can I stay anywhere in Austin and be able to get around easily?
Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

gleichgültig

Post by gleichgültig »

DJKIMI wrote:Hi everyone,
At the monaco GP, can anyone confirm the driver signing is always on the friday and is open to everyone in the public? We can enter the pit lane etc?? right???

Hey the driver signing is on the Friday. It's open to people who have weekend stand tickets so no Thursday only ticket holders and technically no general admission tickets (but people we met managed to get through with their GA tickets).

You get access to the pitlane and the drivers come out. People started queuing to get in about an hour before they opened the gates.
Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

haz

Post by haz »

Steve_muzzy wrote:

Don't worry about it. I went to Monza in 2010 and we were unashamedly supporting Hamilton, button and mclaren. Nobody was even remotely bothered

ZicoUK

Post by ZicoUK »

Evening all,

First time to the forums (and hopefully not the last).

I'm looking for tips and ideas for my trip to the 2013 Austin F1 in November :D . I would be interested to hear from anybody who went last year or will be going this year.

I've already purchased my general admission ticket and have my flights and accommodation sorted out as well.

I'll be arriving on Tuesday 12th at approx. 18:00 local time and flying back on the 21st at 8:30 local time.

Thanks for the help in advance.

**Sorry mod for my other post**
Last edited by ZicoUK on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blake

Post by Blake »

Welcome to the forum, ZicoUK.

I have been to both the F1 race at COTA and the MotoGP race this year, and will be glad to help you in any way. If you already have your accommodations sorted, you are off to a good start. Last year they ran shuttles from 3 locations in Austin out to the track, one of the locations being downtown in the city itself.. where a lot of the hotels are. I would use the shuttle service myself if I were you, as they are still sorting out parking at the track.

Be prepared to walk... and walk. For the F1 race they had several bleachers set up that they don't use otherwise, and those were out by the hairpin. thought there was a rough around the track bus route, the busses are almost always full by the time they would get to our gates, so we ended up walking the full length of the track back to the main gate and then another mile to where they picked us up for the shuttle. I understand the shuttles will get people closer to the main gates, but only time will tell if they have the track circle routes better sorted out. I think they were surprised by just how many people make up a race crowd!

As for Austin itself, it is delightful. The are considered to be one of the top, if not the top, Live music centers in the USA, and there is almost always music and entertainment over a few block section of downtown. There is also some GREAT Barbeque places in and around Austin that you should try out.

I have a brother who lives in a suburb there, and I am sure he would be more than glad to help you with far better information than I can share, just let me know via PM if you wish and I will pass your email on to him.

Hopefully our paths will cross at the F1 race. Take care,

Blake
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Tendril

Post by Tendril »

Hello all, first post.

Ticket for Austin ordered! No hotel booked yet but it seems staying in San Antonio will be much cheaper (as in $50/night rather than $500/night) then it looks like a straight hours drive out to the circuit. Details on the COTA website are pretty scant, so I'd love to hear from anyone who went last year.

Is it true you can't park at the circuit unless you prebuy a parking ticket? ($60-$200). And you aren't allowed to walk to it either from parking elsewhere? (!).

Is parking downtown and getting a shuttle bus a better bet?

Any support races? Can't find any info anywhere.

Still no Fanvison this year? Hopefully can pick up BBC commentary on my phone though.

Bryan

ZicoUK

Post by ZicoUK »

Hi Bryan,

If you not fussed about staying in a hotel room then I would suggest taking a look here www.airbnb.co.uk which is where I found a private room to stay at for £320 for 9 nights!

It will be my first visit to Austin and the F1 so I've been trawling for info for this year and info on last year's race.

I've got a reservation for a hire car for my stay but I am not going to even attempt to drive to the track for the race weekend. I had looked at hiring a bike for the race weekend and riding the ~13 miles each way from where I'm staying but if the Downtown shuttles are better then I'll be going for that.

As for commentary, I'll have the race on Sky+ at home but I'll probably be taking a radio or mobile for UK commentary as well.

Feel free to PM me so we can share any info.
Yaz

Blake

Post by Blake »

Tendril wrote:Hello all, first post.

Ticket for Austin ordered! No hotel booked yet but it seems staying in San Antonio will be much cheaper (as in $50/night rather than $500/night) then it looks like a straight hours drive out to the circuit. Details on the COTA website are pretty scant, so I'd love to hear from anyone who went last year.

Is it true you can't park at the circuit unless you prebuy a parking ticket? ($60-$200). And you aren't allowed to walk to it either from parking elsewhere? (!).

Is parking downtown and getting a shuttle bus a better bet?

Any support races? Can't find any info anywhere.

Still no Fanvison this year? Hopefully can pick up BBC commentary on my phone though.

Bryan

Hi, Bryan,

I was there last year, as was my brother who actually lives on the north edge of Austin. Either of us would be glad to help you in any way we can. I know it is frustrating because there is not as much information about shuttles and parking yet as we would like. However, my brother is in a place to hear the news as they announce it.

Check your private messages, I will post my email address for you.

Blake
:nod:
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Tendril

Post by Tendril »

Cheers guys :)

(Hotel & car now booked!)

Bryan

milomak

Post by milomak »

which tickets should you get if you want access to the pit area?

and on what day is the access?

gaztinytears

Post by gaztinytears »

Well guys I have just returned from my first gp,and absolutely loved it! We had bronze pass and walked pretty much everywhere on sat and watched the race from pouyon?? Not sure on the spelling. The atmosphere was great loads of Brits there. We was in green zone parking and stayed in spa village and apart from sun leaving the circuit we got from spa to the track and back in 20 mins. I had read horror stories about driving to the circuit and parking but we had no probs at all. I have got 2 questions tho now, we want to hire a motorhome next year and try and get in one of them sites right next to the track,what is the best way of going about either? Cheers guys.

EmpressJo

Post by EmpressJo »

Hi guys, I'm currently attending Monza with my husband; we have seats in the Laterale Sinistra grandstand on the straight, opposite a big screen, but would love to be able to get live timing for quali and the race - any suggestions on how?

I know there's the F1 app for mobile, but it'll mean using data and my phone bill would explode if we did that. Any other cost-friendly suggestions? I think Kangaroo TV aren't at F1 races anymore...

Help! Thanks!

blanken

Post by blanken »

EmpressJo wrote:Hi guys, I'm currently attending Monza with my husband; we have seats in the Laterale Sinistra grandstand on the straight, opposite a big screen, but would love to be able to get live timing for quali and the race - any suggestions on how?

I know there's the F1 app for mobile, but it'll mean using data and my phone bill would explode if we did that. Any other cost-friendly suggestions? I think Kangaroo TV aren't at F1 races anymore...

Help! Thanks!

Enjoy Jo, I was there last year. I got a Kangaroo TV and I have to say it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. In the end, I preferred to just watch the big screen in front of me for timing info. Everytime i was looking down at the ktv, I was missing action on the track. Given that I don't get to go to races very often (as I live in Western Australia), I think it was a better experience just to be in the moment and enjoy the action rather looking down at a little screen i can do for every other race I watch when im at home.

If you really want the live timing, buy a local Italian prepaid sim so you don't get charged roaming fees (Im assuming you are not from Italy). Let me know how you go, would love to hear about another's Monza experience!

purchville

Post by purchville »

EmpressJo raises a good point. Is there any way of getting live timing if travelling overseas to see a race, other than paying a mint in data cost via mobile phone?

I'm off to Singapore next week.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition:
- 6 victories (Germany '20, Italy '19, Mexico '18, Singapore '18, USA '17, USA '16, Mexico '16),
- 7 podiums
- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

rawsushi

Post by rawsushi »

purchville wrote:EmpressJo raises a good point. Is there any way of getting live timing if travelling overseas to see a race, other than paying a mint in data cost via mobile phone?

I'm off to Singapore next week.
I go to the Singapore GP every year and I have to say I am in a dilemma about this issue, but in the end, the question is, for one race a year, would you rather miss live timing or miss a spectacular overtake or incident happen right in front of you because you were looking at the live timing app or the big screen?

The answer for me is obvious... forget about live timing and make sure not to miss anything in front of you :)

EmpressJo

Post by EmpressJo »

blanken wrote:
EmpressJo wrote:Hi guys, I'm currently attending Monza with my husband; we have seats in the Laterale Sinistra grandstand on the straight, opposite a big screen, but would love to be able to get live timing for quali and the race - any suggestions on how?

Help! Thanks!
Enjoy Jo, I was there last year. I got a Kangaroo TV and I have to say it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. In the end, I preferred to just watch the big screen in front of me for timing info. Everytime i was looking down at the ktv, I was missing action on the track. Given that I don't get to go to races very often (as I live in Western Australia), I think it was a better experience just to be in the moment and enjoy the action rather looking down at a little screen i can do for every other race I watch when im at home.

If you really want the live timing, buy a local Italian prepaid sim so you don't get charged roaming fees (Im assuming you are not from Italy). Let me know how you go, would love to hear about another's Monza experience!
Hey, a fellow Sandgroper! Except this one is living in Switzerland for the time being, which is why it was such a no-brainier to go to Monza.

So in the end, we didn't do anything about using live timing. It was okay, we managed without it; there was a big screen in front of us so we could see what happened in quail and in the race when the cars weren't on our part of the track.

I think the Italian sim is a good idea, and would get a foreign sim at the next o/s race we go to. But for Monza, while the atmosphere was brilliant - the Tifosi are something else altogether - I don't think I would recommend sitting on the straight. The action in front of us was basically a short blur of a car as it went past at 300km/hr, but there were a few overtakes under DRS. If I went to Monza again I'd sit on one of the corners or a slower part of the track where you could see a bit more.

dbug

Post by dbug »

Campervan to Silverstone

I was thinking of going to my first f1 race next year and have access to a camper. Where do you suggest to pitch up? Is it best to stay on site or are there better alternatives nearby? Id prefer to be somewhere with a bit of atmosphere if that helps

Thanks

yanbon24

Post by yanbon24 »

2014 Australian Grand Prix

Early I know but tickets have just gone on sale, currently in Perth on a working holiday visa but intend to be on the east coast by then. Thinking of going for general admission for the Sunday for budgeting reasons, a couple of questions:

1. Would it be best to book off the official F1 website or is there another reliable one for the Auzzie GP?

2. Would flights from other cities on the east coast be fairly cheap if booked early enough? I know someone who claimed to fly from Sydney to Cairns for $90?

3. What is access to the track like on foot? I'm guessing it's fairly accessible due to being so close to the CBD but I haven't been to Melbourne yet and would like to make sure!

Any tips much appreciated, thanks!

ForTheLoveOfRacing

Post by ForTheLoveOfRacing »

dbug wrote:Campervan to Silverstone

I was thinking of going to my first f1 race next year and have access to a camper. Where do you suggest to pitch up? Is it best to stay on site or are there better alternatives nearby? Id prefer to be somewhere with a bit of atmosphere if that helps

Thanks
Personally I just love Silverstone woodlands campsite. It's on club corner and has everything you could want (live music and comedians, bars, good outlets and an amazing atmosphere)

dbug

Post by dbug »

ForTheLoveOfRacing wrote:

Thanks
Personally I just love Silverstone woodlands campsite. It's on club corner and has everything you could want (live music and comedians, bars, good outlets and an amazing atmosphere)
Ill check it out thanks

A2jdl

Post by A2jdl »

dbug wrote:
ForTheLoveOfRacing wrote:

Thanks
Ill check it out thanks
Whittlebury Park, is also very good and right next to the circuit, with entertainment and a couple of places to eat and drink.

Lerkki

Post by Lerkki »

CANADIAN GP GENERAL ADMISSION VS GRANDSTANDS

Planning to attend the 2014 Canadian GP. First time attending a race and I'm very excited. My wife got GA tickets but I've read from a few of you on this forum that Grandstand 11 and 12 were really the place to be.

Because the price difference is so high, could anyone describe their experience with GA tickets in Montreal? Is the price of Grandstand tickets worth the value?

Any help is welcomed!

Spasa-Pasa

Post by Spasa-Pasa »

yanbon24 wrote:2014 Australian Grand Prix

Early I know but tickets have just gone on sale, currently in Perth on a working holiday visa but intend to be on the east coast by then. Thinking of going for general admission for the Sunday for budgeting reasons, a couple of questions:

1. Would it be best to book off the official F1 website or is there another reliable one for the Auzzie GP?

2. Would flights from other cities on the east coast be fairly cheap if booked early enough? I know someone who claimed to fly from Sydney to Cairns for $90?

3. What is access to the track like on foot? I'm guessing it's fairly accessible due to being so close to the CBD but I haven't been to Melbourne yet and would like to make sure!

Any tips much appreciated, thanks!

Been to Melbourne a few times, but always had the 4 day grandstand seat ticket (called GP Advantage if you buy before the end of December). I can't help with any advice about GA -- but I see people line up from very early (pre 8am) on race day to get a good spot.

I understand budget concerns, but without these I would recommend a 4 day grandstand ticket (GP Advantage) as it gets you other benefits during the race weekend: Thursday pit walks, Sunday main straight walk. Pretty cool experiences if you haven't done them before. Also, you'll get access to a section where you can see the drivers/team personnel arrive and enter the Paddock - this is the best place to try and get an autograph.

Now to the other points.

1. I always follow the links from grandprix.com.au which takes you to the official ticket reseller. Heads up, the processing fee is about $25 and postage is $10. There might be a pickup option at the track if you are unsure of a delivery date and whether you'll be there to receive them.

2. Have a look at flights from now. I fly from Adelaide and just bought my tickets. Have a look at JetStar, Virgin, etc for cheap deals. Warning: I don't know if the GP dates have been confirmed, there is no guarantee with Bernie... It's a risk you take with cheap fares which can't be changed later.

3. The track is in the Albert Park area, close to St Kilda I think. The hotels around there might be pretty booked out by now (you can easily walk to the track).
The track is pretty close to the city and there are 2 free tram services that run to Gates 1&2 (from Spencer St) and Gates 3&4 (from somewhere else in the city) each day, running more frequently on Sunday. I use these and stay in the city.

Other info:
-If you choose to stay in the city there is a SkyBus service that goes from the airport (Tullamarine) to the city (Southern Cross Station, Spencer St). See here http://www.skybus.com.au/.

- Also, Melbourne weather: be prepared for 4 seasons in a day. Seriously. You'll need a hat, sunscreen, raincoat/poncho, etc. Of course, check the weather closer to the date ;)
http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml

- Wear comfy shoes. You'll be walking a lot and climbing the bridges over the track.

- In recent years they have opened the track after the race on Sunday night, if you have the energy you can walk the entire track.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure others will have more info too.

yanbon24

Post by yanbon24 »

Thanks for the info Spasa-Pasa! Still not sure on my exact situation for when I arrive in Melbourne, hopefully should have more of an idea in the coming weeks.

M.Nader -DODZ-

Post by M.Nader -DODZ- »

Planning on going to Hockenheim this year, any advice on which tickets to buy (less than 300 euros) and where to stay?

I have a friend staying in Heilbronn which may let me crash with him during the GP period but that would be 70km away from the circuit so i am still considering.

Any advice would be welcome!

lamo

Post by lamo »

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:Planning on going to Hockenheim this year, any advice on which tickets to buy (less than 300 euros) and where to stay?

I have a friend staying in Heilbronn which may let me crash with him during the GP period but that would be 70km away from the circuit so i am still considering.

Any advice would be welcome!
I was just after the first corner two years ago, very good seats for the price. Turn one exit but could see the start and main straight and opposite a very large screen.

Rubb.

Post by Rubb. »

Recieved my ticket for Melbourne today, first GP wooo!! :D Though who ever decided it would be a good idea to put Vettel on the packaging for Australian GP tickets is a bit of a silly head...

Anyone with experience consider any of the trackside entertainment and stuff and things must see? (if there are any that are there every year) Only going on the Sunday, planning to wander around checking out the place, watching the support events from various angles throughout the day before watching the main event from the Schumacher stand (Though I'll probably end up there several times cuz I'm fat and like to sit down :))

wcx

Post by wcx »

Rubb. wrote:Recieved my ticket for Melbourne today, first GP wooo!! :D Though who ever decided it would be a good idea to put Vettel on the packaging for Australian GP tickets is a bit of a silly head...

Anyone with experience consider any of the trackside entertainment and stuff and things must see? (if there are any that are there every year) Only going on the Sunday, planning to wander around checking out the place, watching the support events from various angles throughout the day before watching the main event from the Schumacher stand (Though I'll probably end up there several times cuz I'm fat and like to sit down :))
Hey mate, I've been to the last four so I'll tell you what I can. Since you're only going for one day you may not be able to see everything but I would make sure to do a complete track walk. I like to start on the inside of the track at the exit of turn two. There's a good hill there so the view of the cars blasting out of turn two up to three is nice. Then I walk down to turn three, crossing over the track on the bridge over the straight. Then just walk around the outside of the track all the way to the fast chicane (turns 11 and 12). Best bits are turns three, five and six. For me, the rest of the track is not quite as exciting and can be a little bit time consuming to negotiate, so from turn 11 + 12 I cross the track, walk the floating pontoon bridge and check out the freestyle MX demos in the middle of the track. I think Tony Hawk will be there this year as well. Even if you're not into that stuff it's pretty impressive. Most off-track entertainment happens in this area. Last thing, if you like a couple of drinks for the race, line up early! The lines in the lead up to the race start are quite long and they always run out of scotch...dammit!

Rubb.

Post by Rubb. »

Cheers man. They've released the schedule now so I'm working out a rough plan of where I want to be and when :)

SehnKhan

Post by SehnKhan »

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on how to tackle the Japanese Grand Prix. I'm looking at doing the double (F1 at Suzuka and WEC at Fuji) and travelling around a bit pre & post races in the district.

But with regard to the Japanese Grand Prix itself - what are your suggestions for best locations to sit and watch the race? I've been considering sitting at the top / middle of the "Esses" in sector 1 (forgotten which grandstand this was) - but any other suggestions for a good view? Also, if anyone has been, can you confirm whether there are many superscreens in which to keep tabs on the action?

Also - good places to stay - I've heard that a good option would be to stay in Nagoya and commute from there to the track as accomodation around Suzuka itself is quite limited - any suggestions on nice places to stay?

Your help would be appreciated.

Also - did anyone attend the WEC race at Fuji? I know it was a washout with rain, but if anyone attended can you offer any similar advice (locations to stay, suggestions for grandstands etc).

Cheers, SehnKhan.
Williams Martini Racing

Supporter of Valtteri Bottas & Felipe Massa - Williams Martini Racing
Also Daniel Ricciardo [Red Bull Racing] & Mark Webber [Porsche WEC Team LMP1]

tamalon55

Post by tamalon55 »

Found out today that I'm headed back to the USGP again this year! Saw the inaugural Austin race in '12. Staying with a friend's sister in a town about 30 minutes away. So we'll be able to choose whether or not to pay for parking or use the shuttles. Did anyone pay for parking and kind of "tailgate" in the parking lot at all?