2015 Spanish GP Free Practice Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
mds

Re: 2015 Spanish GP Free Practice Thread

Post by mds »

F1Tyrant wrote:
mds wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:The Ferrari only has a marginal power deficit to Mercedes.
Ah. How much then?
I don't have numbers. You have to look at Sauber's performance relative to Lotus and Force India to appreciate that the pure power unit is pretty close to Mercedes.
FI have had a disaster of a winter and still have to recover from that.

As for Sauber, in the first four races not one Sauber finished in front Grosjean. That being said, why would Sauber be unable to create a much better car than Lotus?
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

mds wrote:As for Sauber, in the first four races not one Sauber finished in front Grosjean. That being said, why would Sauber be unable to create a much better car than Lotus?
Okay, I admit that I have no insider information. I just feel from watching this season that there isn't a huge amount of horsepower deficit between PU106B and 059/4. It's mainly aero rather than horsepower gains that Mercedes have made over the winter. Ferrari being consistently better than Williams suggests that the aero packages are: Mercedes > Ferrari > Williams.

Do you believe the Ferrari has par/better aero, because when I see them going through the corners it's difficult to agree?
OVERRATED LEGENDS RACING

F1Oz

Post by F1Oz »

Given the horsepower deficit - to many teams (any Merc or Ferrari powered) - it seems RBR still have pretty good aero

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

F1Tyrant wrote:
dizlexik wrote:Ferrari seems very close to Mercedes. It can be Vettel on pole.
You've not taken into account Mercedes qualifying engine mode which they only run in Q3. If Vettel splits the Mercedes or starts P1 then it's an incredible achievement.
We will see. The Ferrari received major updated this weekend.
eeee

Beschy

Post by Beschy »

Circuit de Catalunya looks EMPTY.

I was there in 2012 and it was rammed. Maybe it's because Alonso is in a turd of a car, but this has to be concerning.
Schumacher was better than Senna.

Need4Naiim

Post by Need4Naiim »

Beschy wrote:Circuit de Catalunya looks EMPTY.

I was there in 2012 and it was rammed. Maybe it's because Alonso is in a turd of a car, but this has to be concerning.
I guess it is a combination of having nearly same podium every race, insane reliability of top teams kill any hope for a surprise result, 3rd placed team is placed too far back, and Alonso's team is even further away. This years Spanish GP will probably have the lowest attendance record.
I am rewarded with a new World; a place that is away from dictated formality, one-sided freedom, disgusting but legal sarcasms, fake happiness displayed by masked rulers... ®

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

Beschy wrote:Circuit de Catalunya looks EMPTY.

I'd put most of it down to the Alonso effect. Spain is predominately a MotoGP country; they have four races each season. Last week they had over a quarter of million through the gates at Jerez. So I don't think its anything to do with economics, etc.

moby

Post by moby »

pokerman wrote:
Need4Naiim wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:This perhaps shows then that the Mercedes engine is no longer the biggest factor?
I've been saying that since Malaysia, but nobody seemed to listen then ;)
If one squad has additional chunk of power advantage from PU, they won't use that power ONLY for the long straights. What they do is that using a lot more downforce, gaining massive time through high-medium speed corners and STILL not losing much time over the long straights.

This shows power strength. I agree with Kleefton.
The fact that they are losing time on the straights sort of negates what you are saying, Williams are the fastest car on the straights, why don't they simply crank on more downforce?
Sorry to sound pedantic, but not being the fastest on the speed trap does not make it "losing time"

If they exit the approaching corner 5 mph faster, trip the camera at 5 mph slower, and enter the following corner 5 mph faster, they wil still have a considerable advantage. Especially when you add this to all the corners.