McLaren change livery

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
ManojHS

McLaren change livery

Post by ManojHS »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118793

More to a Mercedes shade of grey. I thought they were set to go back to red-white.

Laura23

Re: McLaren change livery

Post by Laura23 »

ManojHS wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118793

More to a Mercedes shade of grey. I thought they were set to go back to red-white.
They've never looked close to going back to red and white. That was Marlboro. Dennis already said McLaren is Black, Silver and neon red so I don't know why anyone wouldn't expect anything other than that.

The chrome is going because it's too reflective apparently. More likely it's keeping heat too much for the Honda engine's liking.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Current one is one of the worst and bland they ever had. Whatever they change it will be better.
The end is near

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Lt. Drebin wrote:Current one is one of the worst and bland they ever had. Whatever they change it will be better.
The likelihood is the livery will be exactly the same save for the chrome being a grey/silver instead. It's nothing too drastic according to Adam Cooper.

Lojik

Post by Lojik »

Taken from Autosport as a quote from a "McLaren spokesman"

The result is a dynamic, predatory, graphite-grey colouration, complemented by McLaren-dayglo 'Speedmarks' and keylines, reducing the reflection issues caused by our latest chrome-silver treatment.

Graphite grey is pretty dark so should look very different. Hopefully not just an FI lookalike.

Need4Naiim

Post by Need4Naiim »

Lt. Drebin wrote:Current one is one of the worst and bland they ever had. Whatever they change it will be better.
I agree. Even the 2009 Renault livery is better than the current one. Since 2011, there is not a proper yellow car on the grid.
I am rewarded with a new World; a place that is away from dictated formality, one-sided freedom, disgusting but legal sarcasms, fake happiness displayed by masked rulers... ®

VDV23

Post by VDV23 »

Famous last words :lol:

I wouldn't rule out the livery taking a turn for the worse given what they designed on their first try :lol:

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

Laura23 wrote:
ManojHS wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118793

They've never looked close to going back to red and white. That was Marlboro. Dennis already said McLaren is Black, Silver and neon red so I don't know why anyone wouldn't expect anything other than that.

The chrome is going because it's too reflective apparently. More likely it's keeping heat too much for the Honda engine's liking.
Flawless logic there
Winter is Coming

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

I've given up hope with McLaren's livery. Ron is too stubborn to change it dramatically for non financial reasons.

It's a shame really, he doesn't seem to realise that sponsors need a reason to pay for their logos on the car, not the other way around. I think it was Laura who said he acts like he is fielding two Ferrari cars.

McLaren were in a unique situation where fans were in anticipation to see the new car after a poor season and about to head into another poor season. Yet they had the opportunity to build excitement, that not many teams with their recent results get, and they wasted it.

Can you imagine the publicity an orange or Red/White McLaren Honda would have got? It would have been a perfect advert for that elusive title sponsor.
Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Tue May 05, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulsf1fix

Post by paulsf1fix »

I'm looking forward in seeing their new livery, they might even announce a new sponsor. I thought McLaren pretty much said that they would only do a livery change is if they find top dollar sponsor?

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:Can you imagine the publicity an orange or Red/White McLaren Honda would have got? It would have been a perfect advert for that elusive title sponsor.
Sure, if that title sponsor is Marlboro... Otherwise, I don't know if I'd like to have to spend a hundred million to get my name on a car that advertises another company for free.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

So after revealing their 2015 livery to almost universal disappointment from fans, realising they'd probably made a mistake and promising to change their livery at some point during the early season to something people would actually like... The best they can do is to swap out a silver for grey?

I wish I could say that I was surprised but given McLaren's adoption of 'corporate boring' as their aesthetic design brief I'm more surprised that their race suits aren't modeled after a grey suit complete with black tie.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

The result is a dynamic, predatory, graphite-grey colouration, complemented by McLaren-dayglo 'Speedmarks' and keylines, reducing the reflection issues caused by our latest chrome-silver treatment.
Not often one observes the words 'dynamic' and 'grey' in the same statement. I'll have to revise my fashion outlook.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

mds

Post by mds »

Blackhander wrote:So after revealing their 2015 livery to almost universal disappointment from fans, realising they'd probably made a mistake and promising to change their livery at some point during the early season to something people would actually like... The best they can do is to swap out a silver for grey?
You've got that all wrong. They never did promise such a thing. They said that the livery could change, but only for commercial reasons (= if and when they attracted a title sponsor).
Of course they also told us that they would attract a title sponsor, so adding both together means that they kind of promised that the livery would change. But not to appease people or to give them something they like.

Besides that, I like their current livery.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

Yeah I'm not so sure about that. Autosport made a report back in Feb that it would change when [if] McLaren gained a title sponsor. However every other report simply states that they will change the livery but that they wouldn't announce when - Ron Dennis said as much himself. This was only an issue after they revealed the car and new livery to opinions ranging from dislike to indifference.

McLaren also put out a survey to fans after they said that they will be changing the livery asking if we preferred the white/red or orange... And after much consultation chose to go with grey?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

Mr. Dent

Post by Mr. Dent »

The chrome is going because it's too reflective apparently. More likely it's keeping heat too much for the Honda engine's liking.[/quote]

LOL! Nah.
"There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire".
Murray Walker

AravJ

Post by AravJ »

So now they are going to blend even more into the background.
They might as well just do the entire car in asphalt black

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Oh yeah, that's going to fix it for them!!!

Beschy

Post by Beschy »

To be fair Alonso just posted pictures on his Facebook and Twitter of him in his Marlborough McLaren Go Kart and now a photo of his recently driving an MP4-4 with his signature blue helmet on.

McLaren really are taunting us.

Schumacher was better than Senna.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Beschy wrote:To be fair Alonso just posted pictures on his Facebook and Twitter of him in his Marlborough McLaren Go Kart and now a photo of his recently driving an MP4-4 with his signature blue helmet on.

This was for a documentary that they are making for the 30 years of TAG Heuer sponsoring McLaren (Don't crack under Pressure), nothing to do with teasing for a new livery

Edit - Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM7Vde0lUI8
Last edited by Siao7 on Wed May 06, 2015 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

phazblade

Post by phazblade »

tootsie323 wrote:
Not often one observes the words 'dynamic' and 'grey' in the same statement. I'll have to revise my fashion outlook.
"a dynamic, predatory, graphite-grey colouration"

I am viewing my socks with a whole new outlook, and to be honest, I am moving quicker, and holding the line through corners a lot better

Unfortunately, the look Fred is giving Ron Dennis can best be described as, Black, Thunderous, and Snarling Colouration
I'm not slowing down for Nico ........

egnat69

Post by egnat69 »

Lojik wrote:Graphite grey is pretty dark so should look very different. Hopefully not just an FI lookalike.
so it will look a lot like last years sauber?
Blackhander wrote:I wish I could say that I was surprised but given McLaren's adoption of 'corporate boring' as their aesthetic design brief I'm more surprised that their race suits aren't modeled after a grey suit complete with black tie.
remember the star wars publicity stunt RBR pulled off some years ago? McLaren could do the same with M.I.B. :lol:
How to fix F1:
1. Stop seeking consensuses on rules - it will always turn out to be the least favourible option for everyone involved...
2. Listen to the fans - there are plenty of them and they have good ideas...

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

phazblade wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
"a dynamic, predatory, graphite-grey colouration"

I am viewing my socks with a whole new outlook, and to be honest, I am moving quicker, and holding the line through corners a lot better
:lol:
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Beschy

Post by Beschy »

SchumieRules wrote:
Beschy wrote:To be fair Alonso just posted pictures on his Facebook and Twitter of him in his Marlborough McLaren Go Kart and now a photo of his recently driving an MP4-4 with his signature blue helmet on.

This was for a documentary that they are making for the 30 years of TAG Heuer sponsoring McLaren (Don't crack under Pressure), nothing to do with teasing for a new livery

Edit - Here it is:

Oh yeah I know, I wasn't suggesting they were teasing the new livery. I just meant they're teasing us with how good it could look (rather than the grey fart it is actually going to look)

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

I was wrong about the silver, it'll look far more like this. Just as dull as what they had in the first four races.

Source Darren Heath.
Last edited by Laura23 on Wed May 06, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Beschy wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:

Edit - Here it is:

Oh yeah I know, I wasn't suggesting they were teasing the new livery. I just meant they're teasing us with how good it could look (rather than the grey fart it is actually going to look)
Ok, I probably misunderstood you! It is really horrible at the moment, nothing I can like on that livery.

So wish for orange to come back. Please Macca, I don't even support them but I liked the orange one

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

HERE IT IS...!!

Via McLaren's facebook page

I don't like it at all
Last edited by Clarky on Wed May 06, 2015 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Uffman

Post by Uffman »

mds

Post by mds »

Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Hispania should sue....

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Looks pretty cool to me.

egnat69

Post by egnat69 »

mikeyg123 wrote:Hispania should sue....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

i wonder what it would look like if the colours were reversed... orange car with graphite - eehhh - Speedlines...
How to fix F1:
1. Stop seeking consensuses on rules - it will always turn out to be the least favourible option for everyone involved...

VDV23

Post by VDV23 »

I'd say it's a massive improvement over the previous one, I'd even go as far as saying that it actually looks good.

JohnnyGuitar

Post by JohnnyGuitar »

I prefer it to the previous version, could have done with more of the day-glo though. Those big flashes on the top of the sidepods almost totally disappear in the side view.

Herb

Post by Herb »

I absolutely love it.

I think more people would too if we'd not had a big build up prior to the season showing the McHonda heritage (and it's associated colour scheme). It also doesn't help having so many grey/silver cars.

Beschy

Post by Beschy »

BORING

I don't get it, I just don't get it...

Yellowbin74

Post by Yellowbin74 »

You can't polish a turd- but apparently you can paint it a different colour.
Should I grow a beard?

egnat69

Post by egnat69 »

JohnnyGuitar wrote:I prefer it to the previous version, could have done with more of the day-glo though. Those big flashes on the top of the sidepods almost totally disappear in the side view.
I think McLaren - the company, that is, have quite a marketing issue themselves... the logo - well, the orange swoosh-shaped thingy - is pretty indistinctive ... i think not many will really relate it to mclaren without the "McLaren" typeface beneath it... it really doesn't help that it had been on the car during the partnership with vodafone, a company that happens to have quite a swoosh-like logo in a pretty similar colour themselves... i guess, many will somehow think of vodafone by the different interpretations of that swoosh on the car...

worse, mclaren seem to have a habit with that one - with the swoosh replacing the marlboro-style accent above the typeface...
How to fix F1:

Centauri

Post by Centauri »

It is a vast improvement, in my opinion. I'd even go as far as to proclaim that I like it!

Saz

Post by Saz »

It's not as awful as I first imagined it would be, but the nose bit is really odd. The two red accents make it look like it has two noses, especially in the overhead shot.

Looks really cool from the overhead shot (apart from the weird nose), but really undestincitive from the side or front on shots as those accents kinda just disappear. I think I actually overall prefer it to the previous one.
The two most powerful warriors are patience and time…so remember: great achievements take time, there is no overnight success.