When will McLaren get on the scoreboard?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules

When will McLaren score their first points?

China
8%
Bahrain
4%
Spain
26%
Monaco
34%
Canada
5%
Austria
2%
Britain
5%
Hungary
2%
Belgium
2%
Italy
1%
Singapore
1%
Japan
No votes
Russia
1%
USA
1%
Mexico
No votes
Brazil
No votes
Abu Dhabi
No votes
10%

Total votes: 127

Herb

When will McLaren get on the scoreboard?

Post by Herb »

So - with the Macca seemingly making slow but steady progress, how long will it be before they can not only survive a full GP, but actually get into the points?

Will it be Jenson or Fred?

mas

Re: When will McLaren get on the scoreboard?

Post by mas »

Spain but I cheated ;-). Definitely Monaco as I suspect both Alonso and Button will go well there in their good handling/cornering car.

http://en.f1i.com/news/8446-mclaren-poi ... utton.html
Last edited by mas on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

I put Monaco. They are slowly creeping up the ladder already and I have a gut feel that it will actually be Spain when they come good, but Monaco tends to allow great drivers to overcome car deficits more than most so I see Alonso doing something there.

mds

Post by mds »

Going to say Spain.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

Liket

Post by Liket »

I believe they can do it in Spain, but I'm voting for Monaco because I believe that's the very latest they'll do it due to the nature of that race, and there are still a fair bunch of teams who are outperforming them convincingly still ie RBR, STR, Sauber from the looks of it, probably Lotus on pace and maybe even FI. Add in that they still have race-ending technical issues and well... Earliest Spain because it's normally major updates time when they come back to Europe, latest Monaco because both Alonso and Button should be able to make their skill and experience count there.

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Alonso in Spain.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

I said Spain but I kinda want to take it back. They'll probably look good... and probably break down. Maybe it'll be further out - Monaco for the reasons given above or a wild day out in Canada
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

They might not get both cars to even finish until Spain, and Monaco will be hard to move up the order from where you qualify without retirements so I'll go with Canada.

At this point most races they're looking at having cars from Mercedes, Ferrari, and Williams ahead of them as well as at least one from RBR, STR, FI, and Sauber.
{Insert clever sig line here}

Herb

Post by Herb »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:Alonso in Spain.

That was my initial thought too - it would be nice, I was at his last win there in 2013 the crowd around me went nuts :D.

But, I think they'll pull a surprise - I picked Bahrain, they were running in the points at times last weekend - so now they just need to stay there for the whole race ;)

Whoa re the two that chose '2016' - really!?

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

It's hard to say when but considering the greatness of Alonso, it's bound to happen sooner or later.

For the class that he is, it's high time he got a car that'll help him win races.
Feel The Fourth

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

I've gone for China.

PS. I'd NEVER thought I'd see a thread titled 'When will McLaren score their first points?' :(
#KeepFightingMichael

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

I think they have a car capable of scoring into the points now with a bit of luck running their way. Their main problem is reliability which is completely random. So I suggest the first race that they finish will be the first race they score points in. Maybe China is a bit too soon and that long straight will absolutely kill them, but definitely Bahrain they will have a top 7 car ( and Alonso or Button helping them to being in the top 5/6 group).
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Azi

Post by Azi »

Button in Canada.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

It could be in China providing they manage to have the same pace as Malaysia and they also finish the race.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

I voted China, but that is if they can have a clean race with Alonso.
Alonso was on his way to scoring in Malaysia. Button I'm not sure.

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

I said Bahrain. Given their progress between Oz and Sepang I don't think it will be too long. Getting one car into the top 10 isn't all that hard with the resources and knowledge at McLaren, even if they have started on the back foot.
I remember when this website was all fields.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

China. I think they already have the pace to score points, they just need to finish the race. There's basically three teams out of reach, and everyone else is in a similar stew - the difference is that of that stew, the McLaren is the only one with a real hope of going uphill anytime soon.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Herb

Post by Herb »

It astounds me that 12% of people so far think they won't score this season - yet nobody has commented to state that position.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

I'd like to vote for 1966.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Covalent wrote:I'd like to vote for 1966.

I was thinking the same!

Centauri

Post by Centauri »

Anything can happen, sure, but the smart money is on Monaco.

High rates of attrition, and both McLaren drivers are very capable past-winners. Plus their power disadvantage will be slightly less apparent.

Herb

Post by Herb »

There's always one smart pickle ;)

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Herb wrote:

There's always one smart pickle ;)

Well if the question reads "When will McLaren score their first points?" you have symphatize with me ;)

ReservoirDog

Post by ReservoirDog »

Monaco. It's easy on the engines, so they may actually last a race.

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

There is a good argument for Monaco. Engine power is not so much of a issue, nimble handling is. The McLaren does appear to be quite a responsive car. Whether this translates to (i) nimbleness through slower corners and (ii) acceleration away from these slow corners we shall see. I would assume that by the time we are at Monace some more power from that Honda will be utilised also.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Honda Quick

Post by Honda Quick »

I felt bad going as far out as Hungary. But 2016?! Who on earth chose that? What six posters?!

I mean, anything can happen, but goodness! I can't see McLaren going a full year without a point. Win? Yes. But a point when it's extended to the Top 10?!
[ Kimi Raikkonen ]
2007 Formula 1 World Drivers Champion

Need4Naiim

Post by Need4Naiim »

Monaco
Last edited by Need4Naiim on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am rewarded with a new World; a place that is away from dictated formality, one-sided freedom, disgusting but legal sarcasms, fake happiness displayed by masked rulers... ®

Amon

Post by Amon »

I think Monaco but earlier would be nice, Alonso in Spain sounds good but will be happy if they score points next race already.
F1 fan since 1989

paulsf1fix

Post by paulsf1fix »

Before the British GP, I reckon. My money is on that if it's a wet race somewhere I reckon one of the Mc's will be on the podium. I think they have a good ish car apart from that they are down on power and if the rumours are true that they have turned the engine down then I will stand by my opinion until the end of the season.

Nosebuckle

Post by Nosebuckle »

I say Spain. They won't quite have the power in China, and Bahrain will be too hot to turn it up much. The strength of the chassis is well-suited for Barca and I'll guess they make it to the finish. You can definitely tell the potential in the Honda PU.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Nosebuckle wrote:I say Spain. They won't quite have the power in China, and Bahrain will be too hot to turn it up much. The strength of the chassis is well-suited for Barca and I'll guess they make it to the finish. You can definitely tell the potential in the Honda PU.

Bahrain is a night race. Temps are far cooler now than they were a few years ago.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Monaco if not sooner. Their pedigree and their budget will begin to show soon. By the end of the year I think they'll be in front of a lot of teams.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

I voted for Monaco. The car will probably receive big update in Spain, but engine will still be too weak. In Monaco McLaren will benefit from car that is easy to drive and has good downforce.
eeee

Nosebuckle

Post by Nosebuckle »

Laura23 wrote:
Nosebuckle wrote:I say Spain. They won't quite have the power in China, and Bahrain will be too hot to turn it up much. The strength of the chassis is well-suited for Barca and I'll guess they make it to the finish. You can definitely tell the potential in the Honda PU.

Bahrain is a night race. Temps are far cooler now than they were a few years ago.

I overlooked this fact, thanks.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

It looks like everything at McLaren is falling into place for Fernando to claim the first points for McLaren-Honda since 1992 at his home race in Spain. Although, Jenson could surprise us there as well!

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Yeah, they aren't far from scoring points anymore. Although Barcelona is a very different circuit to Bahrain.

mas

Post by mas »

Fernando overtook Kimi in this Bahrain race albeit on new options vs end of life primes but still McLaren competitiveness has undeniably improved to mid-field status, now for the next steps ...

moby

Post by moby »

Just a reminder guys, scores are only given out when you finish a race, even if you lead half of it :]

Herb

Post by Herb »

So far 18% of us were too optimistic. But it was close yesterday - one more retirement would have done it for Alonso, Ricciardo just made it to the end, that would have done it!.

mds

Post by mds »

Herb wrote:So far 18% of us were too optimistic. But it was close yesterday - one more retirement would have done it for Alonso, Ricciardo just made it to the end, that would have done it!.

I hadn't even realized how close he actually came with Ricciardo blowing up at the end.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!