No German race!!

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Need4Naiim

Re: No German race!!

Post by Need4Naiim »

Finally, old Hockenheim layout got its delayed revenge. They shouldn't have made it just another meh track by killing the unique speedy circuit in 2002.

You reap what you sow.
I am rewarded with a new World; a place that is away from dictated formality, one-sided freedom, disgusting but legal sarcasms, fake happiness displayed by masked rulers... ®

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

johnp wrote:what's happening is not very shocking to be honest, I recall Bernie stating over 10 years ago that F1 is too big for a promoters to stage races, that government money was needed to run an F1 event. Well that approach works with governments that don't answer to the people, not too well with democratically elected governments (western Europe,north America)

Malaysia?

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

A german dominant brand (mercedes) plus two top german drivers and no german GP.

There is something very very wrong going on in F1, definitely.

Need4Naiim wrote:Finally, old Hockenheim layout got its delayed revenge. They shouldn't have made it just another meh track by killing the unique speedy circuit in 2002.

You reap what you sow.

Disagree, its actually a good track and its very suited for wheel to wheel action and overtakings. More entertaining than the old one actually.
However I dont know why they destroyed the old part. Should've been kept.
Last edited by nixxxon on Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Need4Naiim wrote:Finally, old Hockenheim layout got its delayed revenge. They shouldn't have made it just another meh track by killing the unique speedy circuit in 2002.

You reap what you sow.

You do know who insisted the circuit was changed?
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Need4Naiim

Post by Need4Naiim »

Asphalt_World wrote:

You reap what you sow.

Organizers shouldn't have accepted killing the old one even if it would mean losing F1 races.

Now, they don't have Formula 1 AND original track too. x(
I am rewarded with a new World; a place that is away from dictated formality, one-sided freedom, disgusting but legal sarcasms, fake happiness displayed by masked rulers... ®

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Need4Naiim wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

You reap what you sow.

Organizers shouldn't have accepted killing the old one even if it would mean losing F1 races.

So they were just supposed to let F1 leave and eventually let the old track fester to nothing once every other series started leaving for the Nurburgring as well? They needed to make the changes back in 2002 to have a sustainable future. The old track was too big, most of it was spectator free (you could joke the new one has been as well in recent years) and the only real place for fans to sit was the stadium section. The drivers complained it went a challenge anymore as well. The new layout provided more spectator areas and a better challenge for the drivers, less track means less to maintain as well for the owners.

Changing the track didn't kill the Hockenheim. Bernie's fees did.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Need4Naiim wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

You reap what you sow.

Sorry, but that's a silly post which barely justifies a reply. I'm guessing Spa should still have the original circuit too and not bothered with running a single F1 race for the last 35 years just to stick two fingers up at F1.

Need4Naiim

Post by Need4Naiim »

Laura23 wrote:
Need4Naiim wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

You reap what you sow.

So they were just supposed to let F1 leave and eventually let the old track fester to nothing once every other series started leaving for the Nurburgring as well? They needed to make the changes back in 2002 to have a sustainable future. The old track was too big, most of it was spectator free (you could joke the new one has been as well in recent years) and the only real place for fans to sit was the stadium section. The drivers complained it went a challenge anymore as well. The new layout provided more spectator areas and a better challenge for the drivers, less track means less to maintain as well for the owners.

What we got instead of tracks with living, breathing nature around them?

#More excessive show
#more yachts around circuits (we already had enough of them in Monaco, Cote de Azur)
#More flashy, ufo resembling, eye tiring architecture
#More asphalt around tracks
#less to none forests near circuits (only few left)

Some people DID kill old Hockenheim, and they have been paying for its consequences since. Payment has been incremental i might add.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

I'd love the old circuits of Belgium, Germany and other countries to return, but you can't blame the circuit owners. Their hands were forced and now we have lots of dull circuits. The new Silverstone is a shadow of its former self, Becketts being its only saving grace imo. Hardly enough to make up for the rest of it though.

Need4Naiim

Post by Need4Naiim »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Need4Naiim wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

You reap what you sow.

Sorry, but that's a silly post which barely justifies a reply. I'm guessing Spa should still have the original circuit too and not bothered with running a single F1 race for the last 35 years just to stick two fingers up at F1.
Maybe Formula 1 fastly becoming a silly sport? F1 applied its roots inside nature first, gaining a fan base, only to forget its roots when it became " TOO GOOD " for the Earth.

I know this opinion is "unacceptable" now in 2015.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Need4Naiim wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Need4Naiim wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

You reap what you sow.

What we got instead of tracks with living, breathing nature around them?

#More excessive show
#more yachts around circuits (we already had enough of them in Monaco, Cote de Azur)
#More flashy, ufo resembling, eye tiring architecture
#More asphalt around tracks
#less to none forests near circuits (only few left)

Some people DID kill old Hockenheim, and they have been paying for its consequences since. Payment has been incremental i might add.

Why is having a forest next to the track important? Changing Hockenheim didn't hinder the track as a Grand Prix venue, it helped it. Without the changes the German Grand Prix would have been gone ten years ago.

Warheart01

Post by Warheart01 »

It's a shame really, a German GP feels mandatory and the European part of the calendar is my favourit. Both Hockenheim and Nürburgring are good tracks and I think they solved it nicely by altering the two. Of the two Hockenheim is the one I prefer, it has a great layout and usually produce good racing and it's fun to drive in games. It's a shame they destroyed the old version of it though, they could have made something nice with it as with old Monza.

With so many German drivers and Mercedes as a team it's sad to see their homerace removed.

davidheath461

Post by davidheath461 »

Laura23 wrote:Why is having a forest next to the track important? Changing Hockenheim didn't hinder the track as a Grand Prix venue, it helped it. Without the changes the German Grand Prix would have been gone ten years ago.

Makes the cars look faster on TV.

F1 cars look slower in big wide tracks with only asphalt and tarmac around it.

davidheath461

Post by davidheath461 »

You reap what you sow.

:thumbup:

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Need4Naiim wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

You reap what you sow.

Did I miss something?

Hockenheim has a contract to run the 2016 German GP and will be on next year's calendar.

The 2015 version was contracted to the Nürburgring - and when that deal failed, Ecclestone and Hockenheim could not agree on the terms for a 2015 race in Hockenheim (as a replacement). That's all (for now ...).

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Need4Naiim wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

You reap what you sow.

Did I miss something?

Hockenheim has a contract to run the 2016 German GP and will be on next year's calendar.

The 2015 version was contracted to the Nürburgring - and when that deal failed, Ecclestone and Hockenheim could not agree on the terms for a 2015 race in Hockenheim (as a replacement). That's all (for now ...).

Hockenheim have no money left. Next year is very much in doubt because Hockenheim can't afford to host the race every year, as they'd have to now since the Nurburgring have pulled out of hosting indefinitely.

Ticket sales in 2014 were terrible so profits for Hockenheim will be non-existent. It wouldn't shock me in the slightest to see them pull out of hosting the race just like their sister track had to for 2015.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

davidheath461 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:Why is having a forest next to the track important? Changing Hockenheim didn't hinder the track as a Grand Prix venue, it helped it. Without the changes the German Grand Prix would have been gone ten years ago.

Trees don't make the cars look faster. All they do is make the track cooler and make it worse if it rains.

ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

My first Post!! Although I have been following the forum for well over 5 years. I thought I would share some uniqe insight I have from my early days of following Autoracing. I first became a fan of racing when I lived in INdy, 1991-1993 when I was still in High School. I imedieately fell in love with the sport, and went to IMS every day after school for happy hour. I count myself lucky as I was there for some of the last true Indy 500's. I quickly started to follow every race of the championship, and bought all kinds of racing stuff, and planned to go to many events all over the world for the rest of my life. Once the series split, I simply stoped watching, and have no interest of ever becoming a fan again. I quickly became a F1 fan, and have been watching every race since. I refused to go the USGP at Indy, as I really do not like Tony George. I attended the first USGP at COTA, but have not been able to get back again, unfortunately. I really fear we are at a tipping point in F1, and the megolomaniacs that are controlling our sport are taking us for granted, and refuse to listen to us, the hard core fan base. Germany, France, the UK, Italy, Spain, Belgium should have mandatory GP's regaurdless of the finances. When you forsake your history as a sport, and alienate your core fans, your sporting franchise can very quickly start to disapear. The Indy 500 is nothing like it used to be, and never will be again, the month of May was massive, and one of the biggest things in Motorsport. The championship is a spec car joke, and has none of the independant flavor it used to have when you hade multiple chassis/ engines. I doubt Bernie/ FOM ever reads this forum or any others, as Tony George refused to listen to the fans. Perhaps we should do a major petition and have the Stig hand deliver it in a Tank (tracked Artillery vehicle), in an attempt to get them to listen to us before it is too late. But I doubt it.

Need4Naiim

Post by Need4Naiim »

davidheath461 wrote:

Thank you. :thumbup: Also, forest gives;

#More possibility for rainy races due to increased humidity
#More dense air increases peak power
#Retired racers can easily watch remaining action alone in the nature with birds tweeting :-D (Schumi did in 2001 Hockenheim)
#We can be more excited by the technology because of the steep change of the surroundings.
#Forests increase car noise for the cameras between the trees and track because of several independant vertical planes which produce echo effect.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Laura23 wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:

Trees don't make the cars look faster. All they do is make the track cooler and make it worse if it rains.

To be fair, it's not trees specifically that makes F1 cars look faster, it's lots of visual points of reference which do it. All the trees around Monza, the old Hockenheim and other circuits do, for me at least, make the cars look fast. Bit like cars going though the tunnel at Monaco. Where the camera is on the corner in the tunnel, they are probably only doing about 150mph, but it looks significantly faster than around the 200 mark at some other circuits.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Need4Naiim wrote:Thank you. :thumbup: Also, forest gives;

#Retired racers can easily watch remaining action alone in the nature with birds tweeting :-D (Schumi did in 2001 Hockenheim)
#We can be more excited by the technology because of the steep change of the surroundings.
#Forests increase car noise for the cameras between the trees and track because of several independant vertical planes which produce echo effect.

And as a free bonus, they also kill people if you hit them! And make it difficult to recover cars!
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Exediron wrote:

And as a free bonus, they also kill people if you hit them! And make it difficult to recover cars!

They also make it a pain in the pickle for spectators to get good views of the track.

The forest at Hockenheim did nothing for the racing there, it was just a forest. If anything there was better racing on the new track.

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

Laura23 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

They also make it a pain in the pickle for spectators to get good views of the track.

The forest at Hockenheim did nothing for the racing there, it was just a forest. If anything there was better racing on the new track.

Great for the spectators as well. They would only have to watch the cars go past 44 times; instead of 67 times. Come to Hockenheim and see 30% less than you did before!

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Both Hockenheim and Monza have had large areas where the cars race in the trees, but also sections where the fans get a good view. As someone that has been lucky enough to watch at Monza, including from the trees, plus visited Le Mans a number of times taking trips out to the far reaches of the circuit, I can tell you that the sound and spectacle of a car flashing past seemingly appearing from nowhere is simply staggering.

Probably my greatest motorsport memory is watching Le Mans at night in the trees on the run from the Mulsanne corner heading towards Indianapolis. All you really see is a flash of lights but with the noise reverberating off the trees, it's simply staggering.

Can't really remember trees getting in the way of a crash, or for that matter rescuing a car, for a long time. In fact, it staggers me how long it takes cars to be plucked from some of the new circuits where there is nothing in the way.

Montreal is another circuit where they run closely through narrow stretches with trees either side and everyone loves that circuit. There is still plenty of places for fans to see the cars.

Having sat in a variety of stands at Silverstone, possibly one of the dullest and featureless circuits on the calendar, you still can't see the cars for that much of the circuit aside from the odd stand, and even then you only see a bit.
Last edited by Asphalt_World on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Need4Naiim

Post by Need4Naiim »

Exediron wrote:

Tell me of a race building or any other historical building that is safer than a tree to hit.

No?

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Need4Naiim wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Tell me of a race building or any other historical building that is safer than a tree to hit.

No?

Apparantly the racng barrier after the chicane at Monaco is a nice soft cushion! Just ask Button..... And that was put there to help.....

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Stunning circuit, amazing speeds, spectators at first chicane have a view to rival most circuits but have cars approaching at well over 200mph. Also a stunning spectator section which they still have.

Yes they run less laps but nobody goes to an F1 circuit thinking they are going to get a fab view of it all, even in VIP stands.

Proper drafting and no need for DRS here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8YQHDwUKik

Need4Naiim

Post by Need4Naiim »

Asphalt_World wrote:Both Hockenheim and Monza have had large areas where the cars race in the trees, but also sections where the fans get a good view. As someone that has been lucky enough to watch at Monza, including from the trees, plus visited Le Mans a number of times taking trips out to the far reaches of the circuit, I can tell you that the sound and spectacle of a car flashing past seemingly appearing from nowhere is simply staggering.

Probably my greatest motorsport memory is watching Le Mans at night in the trees on the run from the Mulsanne corner heading towards Indianapolis. All you really see is a flash of lights but with the noise reverberating off the trees, it's simply staggering.

Can't really remember trees getting in the way of a crash, or for that matter rescuing a car, for a long time. In fact, it staggers me how long it takes cars to be plucked from some of the new circuits where there is nothing in the way.

Montreal is another circuit where they run closely through narrow stretches with trees either side and everyone loves that circuit. There is still plenty of places for fans to see the cars.

Having sat in a variety of stands at Silverstone, possibly one of the dullest and featureless circuits on the calendar, you still can't see the cars for that much of the circuit aside from the odd stand, and even then you only see a bit.

https://travistation.wordpress.com

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Need4Naiim wrote:
Exediron wrote:

No?

Apparantly the racng barrier after the chicane at Monaco is a nice soft cushion! Just ask Button..... And that was put there to help.....

I'd still rather hit a building or that barrier sideways than a tree.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

When was a tree last hit?

zack14

Post by zack14 »

F1 is dying

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Mercedes offered a "significant contribution" to save the German Grand Prix, however, even their financial offer was not enough to sweeten the deal.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Laura23 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

At least the old had character and offered something different. I like a bit of variety in my Formula 1, something the new layout didn't provide
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Nosebuckle

Post by Nosebuckle »

Thanks Bernie. You really can't expire soon enough.

HamsterHuey

Post by HamsterHuey »

I think some of you are really missing the forest for the trees

... I'm here all week folks :lol:

Need4Naiim

Post by Need4Naiim »

mcdo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

At least the old had character and offered something different. I like a bit of variety in my Formula 1, something the new layout didn't provide
This.

babararacucudada

Post by babararacucudada »

hittheapex wrote:Each news story like this just reinforces the feeling that the sports owners are going to skim off as much as they can until it collapses. At which point they'll move on somewhere else like vultures. They'll never retire. Greed stops them from doing that.

I think that is the crux of it.

This is a good article, but I wouldn't blame Bernie. Bernie is maybe the only one I'm aware of in the group who own the rights to F1 who seems to have a bit of love for the sport.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3260/383 ... es-Failure

They are making a lot of money and F1 has been popular in previous years. I think the changes to the engines is part of the problem. F1 needs to be affordable for enough teams to compete and it would be better if more of the teams that compete were in with a chance of a podium.
Those that have more resources are also partly to blame for vetoing moves to make F1 more affordable.

Overall F1 has priced itself too high for the long term.

pc27b

Post by pc27b »

"" At least the old had character and offered something different. I like a bit of variety in my Formula 1, something the new layout didn't provide ""

i agree, thought they could have made some walking paths into the forest and some viewing grounds too. france- germany gone and england barely hanging on is a shame.

IXIAN

Post by IXIAN »

I'm wondering if Paul Ricard could host a make-up race for the July 16 date.
Owner could set some reasonable terms?

specdecible

Post by specdecible »

Laura23 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Need4Naiim wrote:
Exediron wrote:

No?

I'd still rather hit a building or that barrier sideways than a tree.

Laura you are being ridiculous. All circuits are lined with fencing, in order for a car to hit a tree or building the car needs to either go through or fly over the fencing and in that case hitting a tree or building is the least of your worries. Many circuits like Melbourne, Canada, Le Mans, Spa and Monza all have trees lining the side of the circuit and no one seems to have a problem with them do they? I doubt that Need4Naiim is literally suggesting that the cars race through the Forrest without any guarding so when a car crashes it goes sailing into the woods.
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco '12 & '15, Silverstone '14, Austria '15, Mexico '15, China '16)
Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...