Alonso crash/missing Melbourne [MERGED]

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
SmoothRide

Re: Alonso crash/missing Melbourne [MERGED]

Post by SmoothRide »

Laura23 wrote: No two head injuries are the same. We still don't know if the reports he thought it was 1995 are even true or just tabloid fodder that's gotten out of hand again.
With 80 billion neurons involved and 10K connections per neuron, they could hardly be the same. Like I mentioned before, IF he had even an episode of long term memory loss then that's a problem. Memory of the accident may easily be lost because the brain is still in the course of processing information and has not filed it away - much like a computer losing RAM memory when it crashes. The stuff on the hard drive should remain though or else it's an indication of more serious trauma. At this point it's not known exactly how big of a problem FA had (or has), but there is likely at least some truth to those rumors.

He will always be at an increased risk now. Even if he passes all medical tests and gets clearance, his next minor accident may very well be career ending. The problem is that there is so much riding on him, and McLaren, that they can hardly be counted upon to do the right thing at this point.

VDV23

Post by VDV23 »

"In a few days the championship begins and we'll run out of "science fiction". I propose a game with RT (that means retweet I assume) for the most/more creative ones. The hashtag translates to: Where has he awoken today?

:lol:

He also says that he'll be 100% for Malaysia

Source: http://www.marca.com/2015/03/06/motor/f ... MBOSO34503

Porsan

Post by Porsan »

VDV23 wrote:Image

"In a few days the championship begins and we'll run out of "science fiction". I propose a game with RT (that means retweet I assume) for the most/more creative ones. The hashtag translates to: Where has he awoken today?

:lol:

He also says that he'll be 100% for Malaysia

Source: http://www.marca.com/2015/03/06/motor/f ... MBOSO34503
More precisely, it translates as "Where have YOU awoken today?".
I'm a racing driver. Always was, always will be.

VDV23

Post by VDV23 »

Sorry about that. My Spanish's a bit rusty, haven't used it in an year or so.

InBetween

Post by InBetween »

That tweet is mighty suspicious...

Something fishy going on here...I really think its RD impersonating FA...FIA should look into it ASAP

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

InBetween wrote:That tweet is mighty suspicious...

Something fishy going on here...I really think its RD impersonating FA...FIA should look into it ASAP
:-|
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

VDV23

Post by VDV23 »

Any moment now Dr. Harnstein will tweet that it was the concussion speaking/tweeting and FA is not being himself :o

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

Ok guys this is starting to get silly now.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

P-F1 Mod wrote:Ok guys this is starting to get silly now.
What us or the entire Alonso situation?
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Laura23 wrote:
What us or the entire Alonso situation?
:thumbup: We're only feeding off the bizarre information we've been given. Don't give out to us for speculating on poorly communicated information
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

mas

Post by mas »

Even if Alonso has permanent memory loss he would not admit it for obvious reasons. The other thing this incident has brought up is that the cars need horizontal dampers attached around the wheels to take the jarring shock out of these sideways crashes. Anyway, it gives an opportunity for McLaren to see how Magnussen and Button compare in the 2015 car and Magnussen has already said he likes the predictability of it.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

mas wrote:Even if Alonso has permanent memory loss he would not admit it for obvious reasons. The other thing this incident has brought up is that the cars need horizontal dampers attached around the wheels to take the jarring shock out of these sideways crashes. Anyway, it gives an opportunity for McLaren to see how Magnussen and Button compare in the 2015 car and Magnussen has already said he likes the predictability of it.
Button likes a predictable car too, though. If the car is stable and predictable Jenson will be on another level to what he was able to do with the last couple of McLarens. Mark my words!
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Exediron wrote:
mas wrote:Even if Alonso has permanent memory loss he would not admit it for obvious reasons. The other thing this incident has brought up is that the cars need horizontal dampers attached around the wheels to take the jarring shock out of these sideways crashes. Anyway, it gives an opportunity for McLaren to see how Magnussen and Button compare in the 2015 car and Magnussen has already said he likes the predictability of it.
Button likes a predictable car too, though. If the car is stable and predictable Jenson will be on another level to what he was able to do with the last couple of McLarens. Mark my words!
The only thing predictable is that it won't see Q3 very often.
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.

InBetween

Post by InBetween »

That's the point...the whole situation is silly.

SmoothRide

Post by SmoothRide »

InBetween wrote:
Indeed. It is sooo "silly" that one of the top drivers in the sport is coping with a potentially career-ending injury.

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

Yes but suggesting that Dennis is tweeting for Alonso to further some conspiracy theory is a bit far fetched. That's about the only thing that HASN'T been suggested in reports.

moby

Post by moby »

I can imagine Alonso coming around and saying he wanted to be in F1, and Ron Dennis handing him a 5 year contract saying " Sign this lad, I will give you DOUIBLE what we are paying Mika Häkkinen"

InBetween

Post by InBetween »

SmoothRide wrote:
InBetween wrote:
Indeed. It is sooo "silly" that one of the top drivers in the sport is coping with a potentially career-ending injury.
No he is not, he is training in Dubai getting ready for Malaysia. This silliness is beyond me...potentially career ending injury ¿where have you seen any shred of proof of such thing?

InBetween

Post by InBetween »

P-F1 Mod wrote:Yes but suggesting that Dennis is tweeting for Alonso to further some conspiracy theory is a bit far fetched. That's about the only thing that HASN'T been suggested in reports.
It was a joke... :?

SmoothRide

Post by SmoothRide »

InBetween wrote: No he is not, he is training in Dubai getting ready for Malaysia. This silliness is beyond me...potentially career ending injury ¿where have you seen any shred of proof of such thing?
McLaren have now confirmed that there was (or is) memory loss involved. A person does not just forget their entire adult life, there is nothing "normal" about it, regardless of how many times McLaren repeat that it is. Alonso himself surely wants to think he's ok, but at this point there is essentially no way that he can get in a race car this year without very serious risk to himself and others.

InBetween

Post by InBetween »

SmoothRide wrote:
InBetween wrote: No he is not, he is training in Dubai getting ready for Malaysia. This silliness is beyond me...potentially career ending injury ¿where have you seen any shred of proof of such thing?
McLaren have now confirmed that there was (or is) memory loss involved. A person does not just forget their entire adult life, there is nothing "normal" about it, regardless of how many times McLaren repeat that it is. Alonso himself surely wants to think he's ok, but at this point there is essentially no way that he can get in a race car this year without very serious risk to himself and others.
Whatever

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

SmoothRide wrote:
McLaren has confirmed that there was some memory loss not that he's "forgotten his entire adult life."

Even if right after he came to his response to the EMT's was that he was still in karting it doesn't mean that he still thinks that or that the last 20 years of memories are gone.

I've seen interviews with NFL players who have talked about thinking that they were in a college game when asked those types of questions after taking a blow to the head. It's not that uncommon, and more like being unaware of where you are at the moment so your mind brings up a memory that it can recall with circumstances that fit the current surroundings.

I'm not trying to down play this event, but some are making too much of it.
{Insert clever sig line here}

Prema

Post by Prema »

InBetween wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:Yes but suggesting that Dennis is tweeting for Alonso to further some conspiracy theory is a bit far fetched. That's about the only thing that HASN'T been suggested in reports.
yeah, but be careful making jokes that could come true.. ;)

SmoothRide

Post by SmoothRide »

RaggedMan wrote: I've seen interviews with NFL players who have talked about thinking that they were in a college game when asked those types of questions after taking a blow to the head. It's not that uncommon, and more like being unaware of where you are at the moment so your mind brings up a memory that it can recall with circumstances that fit the current surroundings.

Perhaps the same NFL players who have recently successfully sued the league on account of head injuries that ruined their lives?

I know that people are in denial about this whole thing, this is a natural tendency, but there is human health/life at stake here, and not just Alonso's. Somebody has to look at it with an objective eye and do the right thing. Otherwise it's asking for a disaster to happen.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

SmoothRide wrote:
RaggedMan wrote: I've seen interviews with NFL players who have talked about thinking that they were in a college game when asked those types of questions after taking a blow to the head. It's not that uncommon, and more like being unaware of where you are at the moment so your mind brings up a memory that it can recall with circumstances that fit the current surroundings.

Perhaps the same NFL players who have recently successfully sued the league on account of head injuries that ruined their lives?

I know that people are in denial about this whole thing, this is a natural tendency, but there is human health/life at stake here, and not just Alonso's. Somebody has to look at it with an objective eye and do the right thing. Otherwise it's asking for a disaster to happen.
There's no doubt that this is a serious incident. I'm not downplaying head injuries but there is a difference between not being aware of time and place in the immediate aftermath of a head trauma and losing the memory of your whole adult life for good.

However people are taking uncorroborated accounts of what Alonso said right after the crash and making it sound like to this day he still doesn't know what year it is or what level of racing he's competeing in.
{Insert clever sig line here}

steoc4

Post by steoc4 »

RaggedMan wrote: There's no doubt that this is a serious incident. I'm not downplaying head injuries but there is a difference between not being aware of time and place in the immediate aftermath of a head trauma and losing the memory of your whole adult life for good.

However people are taking uncorroborated accounts of what Alonso said right after the crash and making it sound like to this day he still doesn't know what year it is or what level of racing he's competeing in.
The reason these uncorroborated accounts have gained so much momentum is that the official account has been so inconsistent and generally suspicious.

From the original accident, with the first eye witness accounts describing it like he tried to pull over, McLaren going completely silent at first before blaming it on the wind a day later, announcing he was fine, saying the prolonged stay at the hospital was just precautionary and there was nothing wrong, before later saying he was concussed (while somehow simultaneously asserting he was uninjured...) and going back and forth with the official story. Combine that with the fact that the impact appeared to be far less serious than the ones you see drivers walk away from all the time.

Then there's the complete lack of any information from Alonso himself, apart from what appeared to be one very short highly scripted and carefully worded video release, and it's easy to see why people are worried that everything is not as straightforward as McLaren are making out. Respected people from the F1 media, and from within F1 itself, have questioned what happened and described it as strange.

There's no smoke without fire, and there are so many suspicious circumstances surrounding this case that it's difficult to take McLaren at face value (especially when they continue to use evasive language - when asked about the memory loss they replied that "it is not unusual" rather than confirming or denying anything or giving any details) - of course, Alonso's personal medical details are between him and his doctors, so you could say that it's not McLaren's place to reveal anything, which is true. But if there was nothing to reveal then they wouldn't need to be so evasive.

Hopefully Alonso is all clear and back racing in Malaysia, but I wouldn't be so dismissive of some of the reports coming out, purely because McLaren are clearly hiding something with their behaviour.

TheOtherGuy

Post by TheOtherGuy »

steoc4 wrote:
RaggedMan wrote: There's no doubt that this is a serious incident. I'm not downplaying head injuries but there is a difference between not being aware of time and place in the immediate aftermath of a head trauma and losing the memory of your whole adult life for good.

The reason these uncorroborated accounts have gained so much momentum is that the official account has been so inconsistent and generally suspicious.

From the original accident, with the first eye witness accounts describing it like he tried to pull over, McLaren going completely silent at first before blaming it on the wind a day later, announcing he was fine, saying the prolonged stay at the hospital was just precautionary and there was nothing wrong, before later saying he was concussed (while somehow simultaneously asserting he was uninjured...) and going back and forth with the official story. Combine that with the fact that the impact appeared to be far less serious than the ones you see drivers walk away from all the time.

Then there's the complete lack of any information from Alonso himself, apart from what appeared to be one very short highly scripted and carefully worded video release, and it's easy to see why people are worried that everything is not as straightforward as McLaren are making out. Respected people from the F1 media, and from within F1 itself, have questioned what happened and described it as strange.

There's no smoke without fire, and there are so many suspicious circumstances surrounding this case that it's difficult to take McLaren at face value (especially when they continue to use evasive language - when asked about the memory loss they replied that "it is not unusual" rather than confirming or denying anything or giving any details) - of course, Alonso's personal medical details are between him and his doctors, so you could say that it's not McLaren's place to reveal anything, which is true. But if there was nothing to reveal then they wouldn't need to be so evasive.

Hopefully Alonso is all clear and back racing in Malaysia, but I wouldn't be so dismissive of some of the reports coming out, purely because McLaren are clearly hiding something with their behaviour.
:thumbup:

Pretty much nailed it. If McLaren had straight away come out with a statement along the lines of "Fernando suffered a concussion, his condition will be monitored and we will then make any decisions regarding his participation in future races" then I think a lot of the speculation would have been quelled. I mean, the accident still seems strange and questions do need to be answered about how it actually occurred and how a relatively tame impact can cause such an injury, but it would have clarified a lot and not seemed so "cloak and dagger".
"You mad, bro?"

"Noise is a form of energy and the less you hear means the more you use for propulsion" - Ulrich Baretzky

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

TheOtherGuy wrote:
steoc4 wrote:

Pretty much nailed it. If McLaren had straight away come out with a statement along the lines of "Fernando suffered a concussion, his condition will be monitored and we will then make any decisions regarding his participation in future races" then I think a lot of the speculation would have been quelled. I mean, the accident still seems strange and questions do need to be answered about how it actually occurred and how a relatively tame impact can cause such an injury, but it would have clarified a lot and not seemed so "cloak and dagger".

Velocity

Post by Velocity »

I would want to believe everything is fine with Alonso...... There is nothing to gain for Mclaren doing anything fishy...... They can't obviously get away doing some fishy stuff...too many people to buy off.

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

InBetween wrote:
I realise that, but given the rumours that are currently flying around it's one I can easily see being taken seriously by someone. Sorry to take the fun out of it but it's meant to be a serious topic.

egnat69

Post by egnat69 »

TheOtherGuy wrote:
steoc4 wrote:

It's been said before: this could all have happened on behalf of Alonso, too... Drivers don't want to see their position weakened due to (minor) injuries, so they cover them up...
How to fix F1:
1. Stop seeking consensuses on rules - it will always turn out to be the least favourible option for everyone involved...
2. Listen to the fans - there are plenty of them and they have good ideas...

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

egnat69 wrote:
TheOtherGuy wrote:
steoc4 wrote:

It's been said before: this could all have happened on behalf of Alonso, too... Drivers don't want to see their position weakened due to (minor) injuries, so they cover them up...
Keeping the official line evasive so as to keep their driver's reputation intact? I doubt it somehow
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

egnat69

Post by egnat69 »

mcdo wrote:Keeping the official line evasive so as to keep their driver's reputation intact? I doubt it somehow
Passing out while driving due to a medical condition wouldn't be something an F1 driver would like to know the public or the other drivers... Keep in mind, we're talking about people that don't tell their own team about serious injuries...

Just saying, with all the conspiracy theories going on, that should also be something that should be kept in mind... Something that is wrong with the car and subsequently being covered up of course is more interesting for the public and the fans... Something that is wrong with the driver naturally isn't anything a fan or fan-like publication would think about, but surely it is in the realm of the possible...
How to fix F1:
1. Stop seeking consensuses on rules - it will always turn out to be the least favourible option for everyone involved...
2. Listen to the fans - there are plenty of them and they have good ideas...

Kev627

Post by Kev627 »

Sorry if this has already been posted but I thought DC made an interesting point, http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/31768613

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Kev627 wrote:Sorry if this has already been posted but I thought DC made an interesting point, http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/31768613
I wonder if Fernando has fallen out with his new team already... Loses his drive at Ferrari, has nowhere else to go to than McLaren with whom he already has history, finds out the marriage with Honda is an absolute disaster, crashes the car, is hospitalized, maybe says a few heated words to the wrong person...
Crazy unlikely theory but I wouldn't be too surprised to see Magnussen driving more than the first race.

Razoola

Post by Razoola »

Covalent wrote:
Kev627 wrote:Sorry if this has already been posted but I thought DC made an interesting point, http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/31768613
I wonder if Fernando has fallen out with his new team already... Loses his drive at Ferrari, has nowhere else to go to than McLaren with whom he already has history, finds out the marriage with Honda is an absolute disaster, crashes the car, is hospitalized, maybe says a few heated words to the wrong person...
Crazy unlikely theory but I wouldn't be too surprised to see Magnussen driving more than the first race.
I have personally though about something along the same lines but more related to ways of exiting a contract quickly. I don't want to go into that but I have thought about it.

I am beginning to wonder though if this situation would have been dealt with very differently if there was no long term memory loss. When I say long term memory loss I talking about memory loss of things that happened a long time in the past, short term memory loss being the moments leading up the accident.
2011 Winner of PF1's pick 10 competition.

mds

Post by mds »

Razoola wrote:
Covalent wrote:
I have personally though about something along the same lines but more related to ways of exiting a contract quickly. I don't want to go into that but I have thought about it.
He wouldn't win anything by exiting his contract now. He has no team to drive for this year anyway. He's smart enough to wait it out at least half a year and gauge whether McLaren-Honda have a chance to come good for 2016 or 2017.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

VDV23

Post by VDV23 »

Covalent wrote:
Now you are just making things up. He forced his Ferrari exit, not the other way around.

And DC doesn't make good points to begin with. From "staying for 3 days in the hospital for concussion is too much" they jump straight to "he's not motivated to drive a slow car".

A2jdl

Post by A2jdl »

VDV23 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Now you are just making things up. He forced his Ferrari exit, not the other way around.

And DC doesn't make good points to begin with. From "staying for 3 days in the hospital for concussion is too much" they jump straight to "he's not motivated to drive a slow car".
Next they will be saying Mclaren arnt letting him race because he is in contract negotiations with Merc, to take Hamiltons place :lol: