Alonso crash/missing Melbourne [MERGED]

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Fiki

Re: Alonso Barca testing crash/illness.

Post by Fiki »

jrwb6e wrote:
Laura23 wrote:McLaren said no such thing. Alonso's manager claimed it was wind conditions that threw him off line.
Then why is it posted on McLaren's Twitter account?
That's probably Lewis Hamilton, up to his old tricks... :D (JUST KIDDING!!!)
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

VDV23

Post by VDV23 »

Fiki wrote:
jrwb6e wrote:
Laura23 wrote:McLaren said no such thing. Alonso's manager claimed it was wind conditions that threw him off line.
That's probably Lewis Hamilton, up to his old tricks... :D (JUST KIDDING!!!)
:lol: To quote The Wire: "Tweetin' when it ain't your turn to tweet" :D

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

jrwb6e wrote:
It wasn't. That was a fan account.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

InBetween

Post by InBetween »

I just think FA didn't want to give JB any testing time on his day...

Sorry, bad joke. :p

Now seriously...
I was at testing today, at the end of the straight into turn 1. The wind was horrible all morning. Really gusty and unpredictable. Drivers were messing up turn one quite frequently and FA more than any other. On the previous stint he missed it completely on 2 laps and half botched it on another.

On the lap he had the accident, he'd just set his best time and nothing seemed weird as he went into corners 1, 2 and 3. From where I was I could see him turn into 3 but the exit was not visible so no idea how the accident happened, but nothing seemed strange when I lost sight of him.

I have a video of the beginning of his last lap: http://youtu.be/0YPO-7FLdbs

chican

Post by chican »

jrwb6e wrote:
No it is not.

dogboy

Post by dogboy »

Alonso is so all hail the mods good that people are talking about a "faint",about an "electroshock"...i dont know what happened,but some theories are amazing.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

:-|
dogboy wrote:Alonso is so all hail the mods good that people are talking about a "faint",about an "electroshock"...i dont know what happened,but some theories are amazing.
I don't think thats why they thought these things may have happened.

hairy_scotsman

Post by hairy_scotsman »

nixxxon wrote:Everything is quite strange because the guy who took the pics (Jordi Vidal) said he was slowly going off track like wanting to stop/park the car, and then Alonso's manager dismisses the ill / fainting, but the crash didnt look like being that violent to make Alonso lose consciousness.
The G-Sensor was triggered, indicating an impact greater than 15G. That's a major impact.
wolfticket wrote:People saying the car looked relatively undamaged so it can't have been a big impact.

Often the most dangerous crashes are the ones where there isn't a great deal of visible damage.
Damage and bits flying off the car are visible signs of energy being dissipated. If he hit a solid wall at an unfortunate angle where the car suffered minimal damage more energy could be transferred directly to the driver, even if the accident seemed relatively low speed and innocuous.
Exactly.
Last edited by hairy_scotsman on Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On Twitter, follow me @GPAmericas for all the latest breaking news and current photos...

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Given we seem to be understanding more how he got the concussion the new question is just how much was his brain shaken about and what kind of effects could that have in the short/long run?

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

hairy_scotsman wrote:[
nixxxon wrote:Everything is quite strange because the guy who took the pics (Jordi Vidal) said he was slowly going off track like wanting to stop/park the car, and then Alonso's manager dismisses the ill / fainting, but the crash didnt look like being that violent to make Alonso lose consciousness.
The G-Sensor was triggered, indicating an impact greater than 15G. That's a major impact.

quote="wolfticket"]People saying the car looked relatively undamaged so it can't have been a big impact.

Often the most dangerous crashes are the ones where there isn't a great deal of visible damage.
Damage and bits flying off the car are visible signs of energy being dissipated. If he hit a solid wall at an unfortunate angle where the car suffered minimal damage more energy could be transferred directly to the driver, even if the accident seemed relatively low speed and innocuous.
Exactly.[/quote]

If it was such a big impact how is the only apparent damage the missing front wing? No front right suspension damage from what I can see, not even the nose is damaged. That says to me he brushed up against the wall dislodging the from wing but leaving the car relatively unscathed. There is more truth to the rumours than what we have been told IMO.
If...

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

PzR Slim wrote:So he suffered a concussion, I thought we were told earlier he had no injuries, a concussion is a brain injury. Guess we'll get the real story in due course.
Also a paper cut is a finger "injury", so the world is not always useful in this context. Concussions are frequent in contact sports (including contact with a sport object - cars/bikes/hockey sticks/tennis rackets). In my experience, after a significant impact, professionals, students and the like often have a stay overnight in the hospital for them to keep an eye on you. Others, not under regulations, may elect to go home where your loved ones can check on you every couple of hours to make sure all is well, usually 24-48 hours. When I had a concussion, I did the latter.

This is a huge topic in NFL football, where players are regularly concussed as a result of a tremendous impact. Generally they say players should quit after 4 because more than that, the player can have long term consequences when they get older. But for sportsman that get a couple of them, it is not felt that it will impact them in any significant manner later in life.

TheOtherGuy

Post by TheOtherGuy »

bourbon19 wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:So he suffered a concussion, I thought we were told earlier he had no injuries, a concussion is a brain injury. Guess we'll get the real story in due course.
Also a paper cut is a finger "injury", so the world is not always useful in this context. Concussions are frequent in contact sports (including contact with a sport object - cars/bikes/hockey sticks/tennis rackets). In my experience, after a significant impact, professionals, students and the like often have a stay overnight in the hospital for them to keep an eye on you. Others, not under regulations, may elect to go home where your loved ones can check on you every couple of hours to make sure all is well, usually 24-48 hours. When I had a concussion, I did the latter.

This is a huge topic in NFL football, where players are regularly concussed as a result of a tremendous impact. Generally they say players should quit after 4 because more than that, the player can have long term consequences when they get older. But for sportsman that get a couple of them, it is not felt that it will impact them in any significant manner later in life.
There isn't really the potential for a paper cut to be fatal unless something very weird happens. There exists the possibility for ANY concussion or brain injury to have serious consequences.
"You mad, bro?"

"Noise is a form of energy and the less you hear means the more you use for propulsion" - Ulrich Baretzky

hairy_scotsman

Post by hairy_scotsman »

PzR Slim wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:
wolfticket wrote:People saying the car looked relatively undamaged so it can't have been a big impact.

Exactly.
If it was such a big impact how is the only apparent damage the missing front wing? No front right suspension damage from what I can see, not even the nose is damaged. That says to me he brushed up against the wall dislodging the from wing but leaving the car relatively unscathed. There is more truth to the rumours than what we have been told IMO.

Read what wolfticket wrote. When cars hit things and break pieces off the car, they're scrubbing off energy, ie they're slowing down, their momentum is being transferred to the pieces that have broken off. When cars hit things and pieces don't break off, the energy still has to go somewhere ... the momentum still has to be transferred. If it was a hard lateral hit tht caught the suspension just right so that it didn't break, then the energy would be trqansferred, at least in part, to the rest of the car and to the driver. The G Sensor wasn't activated for no reason.
On Twitter, follow me @GPAmericas for all the latest breaking news and current photos...

hairy_scotsman

Post by hairy_scotsman »

Tobias Gruener is a very reliable source:

Tobias Grüner AMuS @tgruener
@SomersF1 There were two seperate impacts into the wall. Damage could be from the first one.

#F1 Sources in the paddock claim g-force peak at first of two Alonso impacts 30g. But worse: over 15g for 54ms. AMuS: auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/mclar…

@f1talks @ScarbsF1 The green ERS-light was on when the marshals approached the car.

ALO car damage very little for 30G. 90° sideways, no suspension deformation, all energy into driver. Look at Scott Brayton accident Indy 96.

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

I'm a mechanical engineer so understand that perfectly thanks. One broken front wing dissipates a very small amount of energy. And I find it very hard to believe this was a 30G impact with the amount of damage I saw. I can't really see how a sideways impact could have occurred, at the angle required to cause such little suspension damage, that resulted in as much forward momentum afterwards. For a 30G impact to not cause significant suspension damage it could only have been an almost square impact with very little forward momentum. A 30G impact with any appreciable forward momentum would have ripped the suspension off the car. Smells fishy to me.
If...

hairy_scotsman

Post by hairy_scotsman »

Well, I don't know what the actual G Sensor read, but Gruener is a very reliable source, so I tend to believe him. I have also seen pics that show the right rear suspension broken, fwiw.

specdecible

Post by specdecible »

One possibility I haven't seen mentioned is that maybe it's possible Alonso wasn't paying enough attention to the track. From what I have heard he didn't seem to be on a fast lap and the wind was quite intense. Would it be too far fetched to presume that maybe while on a slow lap he was distracted by something in his cockpit i.e. learning the new buttons on the steering wheel thus wasn't focused entirely on the track and the wind buffeted his car off course and into the wall? It wouldn't be the first time that that has happened.

Regardless of the cause it seems somewhat concerning that the McLaren car would transfer that amount of G forces directly into the driver from a lateral impact. The lack of external body damage to the car looks like it absorbed very little, could have been a case of being at just the right/wrong angle.
Last edited by specdecible on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco '12 & '15, Silverstone '14, Austria '15, Mexico '15, China '16)
Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

specdecible wrote:One possibility I haven't seen mentioned is that maybe it's possible Alonso wasn't paying enough attention to the track. From what I have heard he didn't seem to be on a fast lap and the wind was quite intense. Would it be too far fetched to presume that maybe while on a slow lap he was distracted by something in his cockpit i.e. learning the new buttons on the steering wheel thus wasn't focused entirely on the track and the wind buffeted his car off course and into the wall?

Regardless of the cause it seems somewhat concerning that the McLaren car would transfer that amount of G forces directly into the driver from a lateral impact. The lack of external body damage to the car looks like it absorbed very little, could have been a case of being at just the right/wrong angle.
In a younger driver I would say it's entirely possible. But somone like Alonso who's been through so many wheels and buttons in his career? It's still possible, but very unlikely.
IV

specdecible

Post by specdecible »

AngusWolfe wrote:
specdecible wrote:One possibility I haven't seen mentioned is that maybe it's possible Alonso wasn't paying enough attention to the track. From what I have heard he didn't seem to be on a fast lap and the wind was quite intense. Would it be too far fetched to presume that maybe while on a slow lap he was distracted by something in his cockpit i.e. learning the new buttons on the steering wheel thus wasn't focused entirely on the track and the wind buffeted his car off course and into the wall?

In a younger driver I would say it's entirely possible. But somone like Alonso who's been through so many wheels and buttons in his career? It's still possible, but very unlikely.
It's happened before

While Alonso is not Maldonado I wouldn't say he's beyond making mistakes, it's just an usual accident and I'm only offering up an alternative to whats already been suggested.
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco '12 & '15, Silverstone '14, Austria '15, Mexico '15, China '16)
Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

specdecible wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

It's happened before

While Alonso is not Maldonado I wouldn't say he's beyond making mistakes, it's just an usual accident and I'm only offering up an alternative to whats already been suggested.
Tell me he didn't do that?

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

specdecible wrote:One possibility I haven't seen mentioned is that maybe it's possible Alonso wasn't paying enough attention to the track. From what I have heard he didn't seem to be on a fast lap and the wind was quite intense. Would it be too far fetched to presume that maybe while on a slow lap he was distracted by something in his cockpit i.e. learning the new buttons on the steering wheel thus wasn't focused entirely on the track and the wind buffeted his car off course and into the wall? It wouldn't be the first time that that has happened.

Look at the video that someone posted above. The video ends just before Alonso exits view going into the turn where he wrecked. He had just finished a hot lap and it looks like he was on another.
{Insert clever sig line here}

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

Sounds like a fairly standard response to a concussion. Harder to tell whether Alonso was knocked unconscious in the accident, but it's fairly likely he was given the lateral forces and eye witness accounts, although McLaren insist that he wasn't so that muddles it.

Alonso will be in observation over night and more than likely will not be permitted to sleep. I know in skiing when one of the team is knocked out (which happens fairly regularly, maybe every second race?) they're immobilised at the site and stretchered off to the medical centre for scans. If a concussion is suspected they are usually released back to the team but we put people on rotating pickets for around 18-24 hours. They're not allowed to sleep at all costs and must be kept talking constantly by their watcher for any signs of change.

That's exactly what is happening now, only Alonso is being cared for by trained medical staff. You can't bee too careful with a concussion.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Laura23 wrote:
specdecible wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

It's happened before

Tell me he didn't do that?
Yep and he ended up spinning off to boot :lol:
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

I wonder if Alonso will be able to recall exactly what happened, there seems to be a lot of conflicting stories going about
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

Robot

Post by Robot »

Not gonna speculate, I only hope he is released today and he can drive in the final test.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Robot wrote:Not gonna speculate, I only hope he is released today and he can drive in the final test.
He won't do the final test. Not after having a concussion just a few days before.

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

Blackhander wrote:Sounds like a fairly standard response to a concussion. Harder to tell whether Alonso was knocked unconscious in the accident, but it's fairly likely he was given the lateral forces and eye witness accounts, although McLaren insist that he wasn't so that muddles it.

Alonso will be in observation over night and more than likely will not be permitted to sleep. I know in skiing when one of the team is knocked out (which happens fairly regularly, maybe every second race?) they're immobilised at the site and stretchered off to the medical centre for scans. If a concussion is suspected they are usually released back to the team but we put people on rotating pickets for around 18-24 hours. They're not allowed to sleep at all costs and must be kept talking constantly by their watcher for any signs of change.

That's exactly what is happening now, only Alonso is being cared for by trained medical staff. You can't bee too careful with a concussion.
Your instructions were a bit more rigorous, but that's the reason for the overnight stay or watch, to make sure the person remains lucid and responsive. I'm sure Alonso's doctors will take all necessary precautions.

It is strange that Alonso was going slow and seemed to turn to the right - according to Vettel who was behind him and saw the crash. When I heard that, I thought something went wrong mechanically, but I think McLaren ruled that out. Later Sainz went off in the same area, so it was probably as Eric Boullier said, just an off normal to testing. http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/31575734

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

Does anyone know if this is his first concussion?

If it is a second time, it could have serious effects on how long his recovery time is
Winter is Coming

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Still doesn't make sense. There were no tyre marks that should a possible 90* impact on the wall. And hardly him driving without wheelspin and crash at 90* there would cause such a high G-Force.

It's a new car, new equipment. Maybe from the angles we've seen we couldn't see the tyre marks. Still skeptical..
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

hairy_scotsman wrote:Well, I don't know what the actual G Sensor read, but Gruener is a very reliable source, so I tend to believe him. I have also seen pics that show the right rear suspension broken, fwiw.
I haven't seen a good shot of the rear so that may change things. Not to the extent of 30G mind you as that is a sizeable amount of energy. I'm of the opinion that we may never know the true story.
If...

JohnnyGuitar

Post by JohnnyGuitar »

RunningMan wrote:Does anyone know if this is his first concussion?

If it is a second time, it could have serious effects on how long his recovery time is
I'll be surprised if he wasn't concussed when he had his bug shunt at Interlagos in 2003, but that is so long ago would it still have any effect on another concussion now? I don't know.

Razoola

Post by Razoola »

At the moment I am more of the opinion that Alonso was trying to park the car. There are eye witnesses that say this including Vettel. It is impossible to rule out that Alonso was simply trying to park a broken car and that resulted in light contact to the wall. I don't think McLaren have even yet stated why there was no afternoon running from them and what the damage to the car was. I am sure any good journalist would have asked already. We all know McLaren have lied in the past and thus cannot rule that out now. How would it look for example for McLaren to say Alonso had received an electric shock? I really don't think they would if they though they could hide it.

I do however believe McLaren find them selves in a bit of a hole now. No one expected such good photos to show the situation. Its sort of like what Hamilton did a few years back, saying one thing on camera and then being told to say another in front of the marshals later. We all know how that ended. You simply cannot put it past them.
2011 Winner of PF1's pick 10 competition.

A2jdl

Post by A2jdl »

After seeing the interviews it's fairly clear it was just the wind unsettling the car as many drivers complained about it and especially at that corner and C Saints had the same crash at the same spot because of it and went to the medical centre.

A2jdl

Post by A2jdl »

Razoola wrote:At the moment I am more of the opinion that Alonso was trying to park the car. There are eye witnesses that say this including Vettel. It is impossible to rule out that Alonso was simply trying to park a broken car and that resulted in light contact to the wall. I don't think McLaren have even yet stated why there was no afternoon running from them and what the damage to the car was. I am sure any good journalist would have asked already. We all know McLaren have lied in the past and thus cannot rule that out now. How would it look for example for McLaren to say Alonso had received an electric shock? I really don't think they would if they though they could hide it.

I do however believe McLaren find them selves in a bit of a hole now. No one expected such good photos to show the situation. Its sort of like what Hamilton did a few years back, saying one thing on camera and then being told to say another in front of the marshals later. We all know how that ended. You simply cannot put it past them.
They have said there was no running after it because after an impact like that so much of the car needed checking before sending it out again.

Razoola

Post by Razoola »

A2jdl wrote:
Razoola wrote:At the moment I am more of the opinion that Alonso was trying to park the car. There are eye witnesses that say this including Vettel. It is impossible to rule out that Alonso was simply trying to park a broken car and that resulted in light contact to the wall. I don't think McLaren have even yet stated why there was no afternoon running from them and what the damage to the car was. I am sure any good journalist would have asked already. We all know McLaren have lied in the past and thus cannot rule that out now. How would it look for example for McLaren to say Alonso had received an electric shock? I really don't think they would if they though they could hide it.

They have said there was no running after it because after an impact like that so much of the car needed checking before sending it out again.
They actually stated the damage to the car was little and don't go into any detail at all of what that damage was. Why use the word 'strike'. Looking at the pictures the word 'brushed' the wall would be more fitting.

McLaren - who have given no information on what caused the accident - said Alonso "left the track at Turn Three, causing the right-hand side of his car to strike the wall" on the inside of the circuit. It is unclear whether Alonso made a mistake or something broke on the car.

"While the car wasn't particularly badly damaged, it was enough of an impact to warrant quite a lengthy check of the gearbox and power unit systems," said Boullier.

"Given the time needed to carry out such an analysis, we decided to bring the curtain down on our test a few hours earlier than anticipated."
2011 Winner of PF1's pick 10 competition.

hairy_scotsman

Post by hairy_scotsman »

Razoola wrote:
A2jdl wrote:

They actually stated the damage to the car was little and don't go into any detail at all of what that damage was. Why use the word 'strike'. Looking at the pictures the word 'brushed' the wall would be more fitting.

McLaren - who have given no information on what caused the accident - said Alonso "left the track at Turn Three, causing the right-hand side of his car to strike the wall" on the inside of the circuit. It is unclear whether Alonso made a mistake or something broke on the car.

"While the car wasn't particularly badly damaged, it was enough of an impact to warrant quite a lengthy check of the gearbox and power unit systems," said Boullier.

"Given the time needed to carry out such an analysis, we decided to bring the curtain down on our test a few hours earlier than anticipated."
None of your post refutes Aj2dl's.

As to why he used the word "strike" rather than "brush", maybe it's because reports indicate Alonso stayed overnight in the hospital with a concussion resulting from the incident, or because the G sensor indicated 2 impacts of 30G or more, or because the right rear suspension and rim appear to have been broken by the impact.

hairy_scotsman

Post by hairy_scotsman »

@f1writers
VIDEO: Alonso at turn 1 before his incident at turn 3 yesterday at @Circuitcat_eng #F1 #AlonsoIncident youtube.com/watch?v=0YPO-7…

I don't know if this is the correct lap or not, but judging from Vettel's position relative to him, it easily could be. Doesn't look slow at all entering that corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YPO-7FLdbs
Last edited by hairy_scotsman on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:38 am, edited 7 times in total.

hairy_scotsman

Post by hairy_scotsman »

ivanF1 @ivanF1
#F1 Great work from #Omnicorse, here the trace from #Alonso’s accident

@omnicorse @alo_oficial Accident there is only one sign of braking on asphalt: what broke on McLaren in Barcelona?
https://twitter.com/omnicorse/status/569785032996466688

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

hairy_scotsman wrote:ivanF1 @ivanF1
#F1 Great work from #Omnicorse, here the trace from #Alonso’s accident

@omnicorse @alo_oficial Accident there is only one sign of braking on asphalt: what broke on McLaren in Barcelona?
https://twitter.com/omnicorse/status/569785032996466688

Looking at those shots and extrapolating the line to the wall, if the impact was as big as we are being led to believe I can't believe there wasn't significant nose cone and front right suspension damage. Even more curious.
If...

hairy_scotsman

Post by hairy_scotsman »

Ben Johnston @BSJ2008
McLaren Racing director Eric Bouillier categorically denies claims Alonso fainted behind the wheel following electric shock more coming up