Alonso crash/missing Melbourne [MERGED]

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Razoola

Alonso crash/missing Melbourne [MERGED]

Post by Razoola »

For those that don't know Alonso has ended up in hospital and there is no real word on what has happened. Reports go from he crashed into the wall to he parked it on the side of the track, to he just swerved off the track into the wall. Other reports suggest he said he was not feeling well and parted it to he had to be sedated when he was extracted from the car as he was shaking. What is known for sure is.

1) He had to be extracted from the car.
2) The car does not look that damaged apart from the missing front wing.
2) He was stretched to the helicopter before going to hospital.

Fingers crossed he is ok but at the moment the cause of this situation seems very conflicting and also what his condition actually os.
2011 Winner of PF1's pick 10 competition.

Laura23

Re: Alonso Barca testing crash/illness.

Post by Laura23 »

G Force indicator went off meaning he was taken to hospital for precautionary checks according to McLaren. He was said to be conscious and talking. That's all we know at the moment.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

A little early to open a thread for this don't you think?

Little to no information about the incident or Alonso's condition. Just sets it up for a lot of speculation.
{Insert clever sig line here}

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

RaggedMan wrote:A little early to open a thread for this don't you think?

Little to no information about the incident or Alonso's condition. Just sets it up for a lot of speculation.
I suppose it means with the session now back underway the testing thread won't get muddied with both Alonso reports and testing reports. Makes sense to separate them IMO. While, as I'm sure everyone knows by now, I'm against idle speculation it'd be nice to have a thread to come to for the latest official news on Fernando.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Razoola wrote:If you look at the marca pictures it kind of indicates no real crash at all, the only damage seems to be the front wing that probably damaged on the grass and not the wall. there is no way only the wing damage goes with a g-force disk trigger. You would expect suspention damage from wall collision also.
Alonso certainly did hit the wall. There are photos going around that show the impact, tyre marks on wall.

Razoola

Post by Razoola »

The session is underway but if you look at the marca pictures it seems there was no large collision into the wall. Certainly not one with enough force to cause g-force disks to trigger. It really does look like Alonso actually parked the car and had control of it.

SingularSoul

Post by SingularSoul »

https://twitter.com/ESPNF1/status/569477080683044865

ESPN F1 have tweeted the supposed location of Fernando's departure from the track.

Razoola

Post by Razoola »

At the moment its best to see the marca pictures as they king of contradict that unless Alonso got back on the track and then left the track again. Marca have many picture that for a time line and support what Vettel said (http://www.marca.com/albumes/2015/02/22 ... dex_1.html).
Last edited by Razoola on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Razoola wrote:The session is underway but if you look at the marca pictures it seems there was no large collision into the wall. Certainly not one with enough force to cause g-force disks to trigger. It really does look like Alonso actually parked the car and had control of it.
There was an impact.

https://twitter.com/DanielRichardsV/sta ... 6332994562

Razoola

Post by Razoola »

Laura23 wrote:
Razoola wrote:The session is underway but if you look at the marca pictures it seems there was no large collision into the wall. Certainly not one with enough force to cause g-force disks to trigger. It really does look like Alonso actually parked the car and had control of it.
There was an impact.

that is just one picture in a group of many showing the wing going.... Look at the entire set, Im not saying there was no contact with the wall, Im just saying it was only light contact... see below.

http://www.marca.com/albumes/2015/02/22 ... dex_1.html

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Razoola wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
There was an impact.

that is just one picture in a group of many showing the wing going.... Look at the entire set, Im not saying there was no contact with the wall, Im just saying it was only light contact... see below.

http://www.marca.com/albumes/2015/02/22 ... dex_1.html
Well unless we see a video we can't tell how big the impact actually was tbh. McLaren said the G Force trigger was activated so it must have been hefty.

Razoola

Post by Razoola »

I do agree in a way but the weird thing is there were reports that Alonso had parked the car because he was feeling Ill before it was even known he had stopped there. Its all very strange.

slowestofall

Post by slowestofall »

Since people at the circuit, and McLaren, have said that Alonso is OK and just going to hospital for precautionary checks, I think it is OK to speculate a bit. One of many possibilities to fit what is known is that he may have had a bird hit him on the helmet. Even a 100 gram soft squishy bird contains a lot of energy when hit at 150kph. I think the G-force sensor measures what the driver is subjected to, not the car.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Razoola wrote:I do agree in a way but the weird thing is there were reports that Alonso had parked the car because he was feeling Ill before it was even known he had stopped there. Its all very strange.
We all know not all reports are true though.

Razoola

Post by Razoola »

Its being reported again....

Alonso lost control because of illness, Fernando Alonso wasn't feeling well before his crash. The Spaniard was ill and that's why he lost control over his car, reports TV3.

It does not sound good if the reports of him shaking and having to be sedated after he was extracted from the car are true.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Razoola wrote:Its being reported again....

Alonso lost control because of illness, Fernando Alonso wasn't feeling well before his crash. The Spaniard was ill and that's why he lost control over his car, reports TV3.

It does not sound good if the reports of him shaking and having to be sedated after he was extracted from the car are true.
Shaking and being dizzy/disorientated is common with people with fever. Hamilton had a fever at the beginning of the test so it wouldn't be a long guess to suggest Alonso caught similar. But it is still idle speculation at the moment.

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

I think it's best to leave it until McLaren or Alonso release a statement. There isn't a lot of point speculating right now.
Winter is Coming

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

RunningMan wrote:I think it's best to leave it until McLaren or Alonso release a statement. There isn't a lot of point speculating right now.
:thumbup:

I'm sure we will get an update in the next hour or two anyway. Not like we have long to wait. Just have patience.

Razoola

Post by Razoola »

I'm sure your right and I do have my fingers crossed he is ok. I am not so sure they are going to be as forthcoming as to what has actually happened though.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

I hope he is alright!
eeee

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

At least they are saying that he's ok. Doesn't look like something to worry about.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

sandman1347 wrote:At least they are saying that he's ok. Doesn't look like something to worry about.
The latest McLaren statement nearly said he's conscious and undergoing tests. Nothing about being ok. If he was ok he wouldn't be in hospital having tests.

jrwb6e

Post by jrwb6e »

The problem with McLaren statements is we don't learn anything we already didn't know.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Laura23 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:At least they are saying that he's ok. Doesn't look like something to worry about.
The latest McLaren statement nearly said he's conscious and undergoing tests. Nothing about being ok. If he was ok he wouldn't be in hospital having tests.
His manager said he's ok.

Edit: and testing in hospitals for multimillion dollar drivers is a necessary precaution.
Last edited by sandman1347 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Sky says that it definitely wasn't electrical shock.
eeee

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

Rather odd that Rosberg, Hamilton, and now Alonso all having health problems.
I hope all is well and he's back on track soon.
IV

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

sandman1347 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
His manager said he's ok.

Edit: and testing in hospitals for multimillion dollar drivers is a necessary precaution.
Which the team statement doesn't say. So it just muddies the waters again. We'll know in the next couple of hours if he has to stay overnight I'd imagine.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

AngusWolfe wrote:Rather odd that Rosberg, Hamilton, and now Alonso all having health problems.
I hope all is well and he's back on track soon.
It's a new ERS that some of the teams are trying, which harvests energy from the driver directly.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

He most likely fainted, I suppose due to illness.

I dont know about other countries but in Spain there has been a flu virus epidemy since about a month.

According to the photographer who took the pictures of the accident, he was going slowly and he looked like Alonso wanting to park to the left side of the track, but he couldnt stop the car well and he crashed.

So he didnt really "crash" due to losing control of the car or losing the back end.

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

From Autosport's Ben Anderson
Alonso has had CT scan. No injuries says the team.
Winter is Coming

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

RunningMan wrote:From Autosport's Ben Anderson

But undecided on whether he will stay in overnight. So no injuries but might stay in hospital overnight. Very strange.
If...

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

PzR Slim wrote:
RunningMan wrote:From Autosport's Ben Anderson

But undecided on whether he will stay in overnight. So no injuries but might stay in hospital overnight. Very strange.
Not if he lost consciousness due to his illness. If that's the case then a high fever and dehydration would be enough to hold him overnight without there being any injuries.
{Insert clever sig line here}

Razoola

Post by Razoola »

nixxxon wrote:He most likely fainted, I suppose due to illness.

I dont know about other countries but in Spain there has been a flu virus epidemy since about a month.

According to the photographer who took the pictures of the accident, he was going slowly and he looked like Alonso wanting to park to the left side of the track, but he couldnt stop the car well and he crashed.

So he didnt really "crash" due to losing control of the car or losing the back end.
That does go with what the pictures show

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

AngusWolfe wrote:Rather odd that Rosberg, Hamilton, and now Alonso all having health problems.
As I said, flu epidemy in the region, most likely cause.

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

If someone is THAT sick to faint, he just can't drive the car. He does not even attempts to drive it. Strange that the driver himself allowed it to happen, and even more strange that Mclaren did not react in a timely manner. Hamilton the other day handled the situation more responsibly.
The end is near

-ZeroGravityToilet-

Post by -ZeroGravityToilet- »

Lt. Drebin wrote:If someone is THAT sick to faint, he just can't drive the car. He does not even attempts to drive it. Strange that the driver himself allowed it to happen, and even more strange that Mclaren did not react in a timely manner. Hamilton the other day handled the situation more responsibly.
Maybe he didn't feel 'that' sick beforehand...? If it were flu, it can get from fair to bad in an unpredictable manner.

The accident is very very weird though... Kind of worrying.

johnp

Post by johnp »

check the latest photos of Alonso, he looked pretty wasted with bags under his eyes

Razoola

Post by Razoola »

I just read what the BBC have reported McLaren to have said and now there is mention that he may spend the night in hospital....

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Razoola wrote:I just read what the BBC have reported McLaren to have said and now there is mention that he may spend the night in hospital....
That would be an obvious thing to do really.

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

-ZeroGravityToilet- wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:If someone is THAT sick to faint, he just can't drive the car. He does not even attempts to drive it. Strange that the driver himself allowed it to happen, and even more strange that Mclaren did not react in a timely manner. Hamilton the other day handled the situation more responsibly.
Maybe he didn't feel 'that' sick beforehand...? If it were flu, it can get from fair to bad in an unpredictable manner.

The accident is very very weird though... Kind of worrying.
Who knows. But even with fair flue no one can't drive an F1 car with all those G forces and high speeds, not if you are not completely well. The first sign you have about being sick is an alarm to stop and get out. Indeed weird that his health came to the point where he could not handle to simply stop the car without crashing. That is very worrying, and, as I said, the slow and inappropriate response from Mclaren. He could have crashed in a fellow driver. But then, all this sounds very strange and worrying. And now, the new theory about the wind as cause is even stranger.
Last edited by Lt. Drebin on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The end is near