Please read the forum rules
Clarky

Re: Barcelona Testing

Post by Clarky »

Aussie Grit

Post by Aussie Grit »

RaggedMan wrote:
Aussie Grit wrote:Front wing has minor changes and a Strange looking monkey seat.. Is that new?
The suspended monkey seat was in the launch images, but the mount on this one looks more delicate to me.

I think there was another team doing it too but I can't recall who.
It looks as though it could flex down at faster speeds reducing drag..probably not the case but interesting anyway.
Supporting Alonso, Ricciardo and Hulk.

Find it hard to resist responding to stupid posts.

mds

Post by mds »

Interesting stuff from Ben Anderson:
- Ferrari doesn't look like it turns in very well - but could possibly be attributed to fuel load
- The Sauber looks hard to drive. Despite that it set 1:24.0 on softs. I think that means the pole time within a few monts will definitely be somewhere in the 1:22's. Such an improvement over 2014!
- The Honda PU still sounds unrefined compared to the others. The McLaren turns in very well but question is if that is to be attributed to not running full power yet and thus being easier to manage.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

DarkoA

Post by DarkoA »

That Force India looks terrific!

Herb

Post by Herb »

DarkoA wrote:That Force India looks terrific!
It really does - I think its my favourite looking car this year.

Mr-E

Post by Mr-E »

Herb wrote:
Where do you see it?
I followed autosport, but in their live update I can only find one picture and you only see the front of the car..

Aussie Grit

Post by Aussie Grit »

Mr-E wrote:
Herb wrote:
Where do you see it?
I followed autosport, but in their live update I can only find one picture and you only see the front of the car..
http://www.f1technical.net/gallery/2015 ... na-test-27

CaptainRicky

Post by CaptainRicky »

Agreed on the FI being a spectacular car - shame the car will likely be near the back of the grid. Really not looking forward to this season given half the grid is bankrupt.

Mr-E

Post by Mr-E »

Honda Quick

Post by Honda Quick »

egnat69 wrote:
Honda Quick wrote:Well, believe it or not, there is more to the world than just what the F1 circus does. Meanwhile, Honda had been managing the 5th largest car manufacturer, largest engine manufacturer, designing robots, designing jets, and dealing with airbag recalls from yesteryear. Keeping up with those homologated V8s that were continuously being restricted for 19 weekends must have been suuuuuccccchhhhhh a distraction to the other teams. :-P
I hope you don't think that the f1 engine division also deals with airbags and robots...
Honda still to this day has a time honored tradition of swapping its engineering labor around throughout the company very frequently. I know of two engineers that have been involved with both the Honda F1 engine program as well as the development of Honda's new turbocharged, hybrid NSX production car. It wouldn't surprise me if many were also shared with the robotic, jet, or other engineering developments in R&D. So, yes, the F1 programs aren't the only thing these companies (not just Honda) do, and they will attribute resources where they feel they need them the most.

Since none of us know how many workers and how much funding ANY of these teams have put forward towards the engine programs, I think it's silly to base an opinion on Honda not having the old engines to focus on as an indication of pure incompetence. While we're at it, Honda and Renault don't have to focus on chassis either so they are really up ****creek in terms of competence.
[ Kimi Raikkonen ]
2007 Formula 1 World Drivers Champion

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

mds wrote:Interesting stuff from Ben Anderson:
- Ferrari doesn't look like it turns in very well - but could possibly be attributed to fuel load
- The Sauber looks hard to drive. Despite that it set 1:24.0 on softs. I think that means the pole time within a few monts will definitely be somewhere in the 1:22's. Such an improvement over 2014!
- The Honda PU still sounds unrefined compared to the others. The McLaren turns in very well but question is if that is to be attributed to not running full power yet and thus being easier to manage.
yes, I'm quite curious about the first one as it contradicts everything that's been said so far. so is the Ferrari less stable with high fuel loads, I wonder?

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Rosberg 1:24.319 medium tyre

3/10 off of Bottas soft tyre run.

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Some very good mileage on the McLaren today too!

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

Zoue wrote:
mds wrote:Interesting stuff from Ben Anderson:
yes, I'm quite curious about the first one as it contradicts everything that's been said so far. so is the Ferrari less stable with high fuel loads, I wonder?

Or different observers forming different conclusions
Winter is Coming

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

The rookies are getting some good mileage in today. Happy to see that for some reason.
{Insert clever sig line here}

Benici

Post by Benici »

The Merc's just gone out on soft tyres. This should be interesting!

mds

Post by mds »

1:22.796!
Wow!

thegamer23

Post by thegamer23 »

Want a Ferrari low fuel run so bad now.

Benici

Post by Benici »

mds wrote:1:22.796!
Wow!
And that's 'Thank You and Goodnight' from Mercedes.

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Straight into the 1:22's (1:22.7)

Thats 8/10's quicker that Massa yesterday

egnat69

Post by egnat69 »

Wow!
that would be 2.5s quicker than last year's pole... and i bet it wasn't entirely flat out...
although pole last year was set on mediums, right?
Last edited by egnat69 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How to fix F1:
1. Stop seeking consensuses on rules - it will always turn out to be the least favourible option for everyone involved...
2. Listen to the fans - there are plenty of them and they have good ideas...

Aussie Grit

Post by Aussie Grit »

Well..... There it is.

OutKast

Post by OutKast »

I wish could know even more information.

Fuel loads and engine modes... Love to know more about what goes on in the car to lay down laps like, but it really is no surprise.
Felipe Massa fan/supporter since 2002 and counting!

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

OutKast wrote:I wish could know even more information.

Fuel loads and engine modes... Love to know more about what goes on in the car to lay down laps like, but it really is no surprise.
I honestly think that the W06 could probably do a 1:20.0 if they ran it on fumes with the supersoft tyre. I very much doubt that Mercedes had qualifying fuel loads (probably a few more laps worth in the tank just so they hold a few horses back) or had turned the wick up to full blast on the engine.

MarkieM

Post by MarkieM »

I've got a sneaky feeling mercs have a bigger advantage than last year.

Any hopes Red Bull and co had of closing the gap I see as just that. Hope. Settle in for the Merc show 2015.

Even on the mediums it was as evident they were seriously quick and could pull a time out like that. They no doubt are still keeping some pace up their sleeve and that's the worrying thing for all the other teams.
Last edited by MarkieM on Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lojik

Post by Lojik »

Testing or not I think that's a very decent time and just may dash a few admittedly faint hopes. Thrilled to see Williams right up there though.
Last edited by Lojik on Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

@tgruener
According to Wolff, Mercedes is still running the same engine they started the 2015 tests with (>5000kms). "We added some fresh parts."

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

100 laps for McLaren

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

6 teams have passed the 100 lap barrier today.

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

As I say that Red Flag caused by Button

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Good mileage by Hulk in the Force India which is practically their first run in the VJM08 car.

73 laps & counting till the recent red flag.
Feel The Fourth

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Wow!
That's a wrap folks
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

GREEN again.
Feel The Fourth

Bacus

Post by Bacus »

did Button put that lap on softs?

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Give the WCC to mercedes already

mds

Post by mds »

F1Tyrant wrote: I honestly think that the W06 could probably do a 1:20.0 if they ran it on fumes with the supersoft tyre. I very much doubt that Mercedes had qualifying fuel loads (probably a few more laps worth in the tank just so they hold a few horses back) or had turned the wick up to full blast on the engine.
I think you're overstating it a bit now. 1:20.0 would be faster than the 2013 cars could manage and they aren't at that level yet.
Moreover I do think the engine is running at full blast now. They want to test that before Australia, so that's somewhere in these four days and logic tells me it won't be the last day, so at the very latest tomorrow but probably already since yesterday.

edit: also it's funny, I was thinking after Nasr's run where he put in a 1:24.0 that Mercedes would be able to drive in the 1:22's and was hoping for them to finally show some speed. Then a bit later they do just that :)

ClubF1

Post by ClubF1 »

mds wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote: I honestly think that the W06 could probably do a 1:20.0 if they ran it on fumes with the supersoft tyre. I very much doubt that Mercedes had qualifying fuel loads (probably a few more laps worth in the tank just so they hold a few horses back) or had turned the wick up to full blast on the engine.
I think you're overstating it a bit now. 1:20.0 would be faster than the 2013 cars could manage and they aren't at that level yet.
Moreover I do think the engine is running at full blast now. They want to test that before Australia, so that's somewhere in these four days and logic tells me it won't be the last day, so at the very latest tomorrow but probably already since yesterday.

edit: also it's funny, I was thinking after Nasr's run where he put in a 1:24.0 that Mercedes would be able to drive in the 1:22's and was hoping for them to finally show some speed. Then a bit later they do just that :)
Yep, so Merc did a 1.3 second quicker lap than the Sauber on the same tyre - that seems about right. Or are we going to say the Sauber was on fumes and the Merc was sandbagging as per usual? Would expect the Ferrari to be at least as fast as the Sauber and maybe closer to the Williams, but time will tell.

Update: Out of Williams and Ferrari - Ferrari took the fight up to Williams until the end of the season with a poorly performing engine and a not so great handling car. This year, the reds have not only addressed their excessive energy recovery efficiency and small turbo, but have improved their suspension and aero considerably to the point of catching the eye of other teams in terms of car behaviour. So, I would have a stab by stating the Ferrari will be about .5 seconds a lap quicker than the Williams purely on the fact that Ferrari had the most to gain, remembering that its base speed was almost the same.

So are Mercedes still sandbagging and are Ferrari running on fumes? For Ferrari, the answer is no!
Last edited by ClubF1 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bacus

Post by Bacus »

mds wrote:

I want to make a bit of observation: they aren't at that level for this type of track (which does not 'favor' so much these new cars), but I reckon they will break records or close to it on many other tracks :)

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

Think they might have a bit more in reserve.....
Karun Chandhok ‏@karunchandhok 58m58 minutes ago
Someone from a rival team told me they didn't see Nico open the DRS on his quali runs... If his eyes didn't lie, that's even more worrying!
If...