Please read the forum rules
Blake

Re: Haas F1 Updates

Post by Blake »

Flash2k11 wrote:
Blake wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Blake wrote:
AstoriaisBACK wrote:Close relationship with France? maybe in 1776 when they helped us beat up the Brits but not really since...but anyway I agree it will be EG and RG. I was hoping for Alex Rossi as it would be good for the marketing rights but I can see why they did it, I don't like it but it makes sense.

And to think that just yesterday, you were scolded for changing a post and accused of not speaking your mine, Ast. Obviously, your critic did not know you!!!
:lol: :nod:

I don't know what is more embarrassing, the fact you've felt the need to bring that up in an entirely separate topic or the fact that you think suggesting that the American/French relationship isn't all that warm is somehow conclusive proof of someone 'speaking their mind'. That said, its somewhat nice to know that you feel so strongly about the things that I have to say, i'm touched.

You should be embarrassed, I certainly am not. You found yourself commenting on something you know very little about, flash. I have known Astoria from this forum since nearly the turn of the century, we have even attended F1 races together. I can guarantee you that he has never been known for not speaking his mind (many a long-time forumite can attest to that), and I found it funny that you would suggest that his editing his post meant that he refrained from saying what he thought. That is what I was commenting on. Nothing more, nothing less.

Any other molehills you wish to try to make a mountain out of?

You bring it up in other topics and i'm the one making a big deal out of it? Give it a rest Blake.

:lol:

Other topics, me? Are you not the one who called Astoria to task for editing a post? Yeah, I will give it a rest, flash, because there is no good that can come from this "discussion"

Have a nice day.
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

I called him out on it because the part he carefully removed wonderfully highlighted just how hypocritical he was being in regards to complaining about engines. You've brought that argument up in the Haas topic in which we currently post with no prior encouragement nor mitigation on my part, seemingly for the sole purpose of having a congratulatory back slapping party with someone that you were pained to point out is a close friend of yours.

But yes, this 'discussion' is most futile; I'll certainly have a nice day.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Amon

Post by Amon »

Flash2k11 wrote:I called him out on it because the part he carefully removed wonderfully highlighted just how hypocritical he was being in regards to complaining about engines. You've brought that argument up in the Haas topic in which we currently post with no prior encouragement nor mitigation on my part, seemingly for the sole purpose of having a congratulatory back slapping party with someone that you were pained to point out is a close friend of yours.

Flash for being a long time member your intense reactions do surprise me at times. I thought after so many years a man would tone down :lol:

I think it is natural to defend a friend certainly if you have met irl. Not saying Blake or Astoria are always right but I'm very glad they are still here as we have seen many people come and go. Definitely their knowledge of the days long gone I value very high.
F1 fan since 1989

AstoriaisBACK

Post by AstoriaisBACK »

Blake---we have been on this board long enough to know some people just want to pick on anything....its kinda fun to banter about but I don't take it personally. We know the reality of these things...some people take you to task for things yet do exactly what they take you to task for....I am just glad we had the French backing us up back in the late 1700s so we kicked those Brits back to jolly Ole England...They typically came in late to help and took the credit but lets not stand on history :) :) its all good.
One.
The best song ever written....thanks Bono
I am the Number 1Tifosi

AstoriaisBACK

Post by AstoriaisBACK »

Flash2k11 wrote:I called him out on it because the part he carefully removed wonderfully highlighted just how hypocritical he was being in regards to complaining about engines. You've brought that argument up in the Haas topic in which we currently post with no prior encouragement nor mitigation on my part, seemingly for the sole purpose of having a congratulatory back slapping party with someone that you were pained to point out is a close friend of yours.

BTW--I only edited a spelling error on the word thier for their....but then again lets not get caught up in the truth.
One.
The best song ever written....thanks Bono
I am the Number 1Tifosi

itch787

Post by itch787 »

https://www.haasf1team.com/news/haas-f1 ... jean-drive

... as this is the update , here is a update link from HAAS them selfs about Grosjean, sounds as if he will start immediately 4 them which will be good rumor had it Bernie Ecclestone made some of the Lotus Payroll payments in the past.

I believe he will be a good fit, hungry for work with enough experience to contribute but not enough wins to have attitude.

Any one been to Kannapolis to visit, I live near Annapolis MD , maybe plan a Group visit if they do that kind of thing for fans?

C
Last Italian to Win Monaco & Last Italian to win a GP ?

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

Thanks for getting this back on topic, itch.

The rest of you have all been here for longer than I've run the place and you should all know better than to lower yourselves to slinging mud. In fact, most of you at some point in the last few years have reported exactly that from others and in at least one case had someone banned for it. The hypocrisy doesn't go unnoticed. Given by admission nobody is entirely innocent I won't hand out sanctions this time, but you'll be watched more closely from now on. Especially those of you who other mods before me already banned.

HawaiiF1Fan

Post by HawaiiF1Fan »

itch787 wrote:https://www.haasf1team.com/news/haas-f1-team-selects-grosjean-drive

... as this is the update , here is a update link from HAAS them selfs about Grosjean, sounds as if he will start immediately 4 them which will be good rumor had it Bernie Ecclestone made some of the Lotus Payroll payments in the past.

I believe he will be a good fit, hungry for work with enough experience to contribute but not enough wins to have attitude.

Any one been to Kannapolis to visit, I live near Annapolis MD , maybe plan a Group visit if they do that kind of thing for fans?

C

Story no longer there, but..................start immediately as in gone from Lotus in the next race or thereafter?

Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

This article certainly implies that he's going to be sticking out this season with Lotus. Not much point to him going over to Haas before they've actually got cars on the grid, so it makes sense.
Qualifying Prediction Game 2019 Champion [8 wins]
Pick 10: 2016: 22nd | 2017: 21st | 2018: 3rd | 2019: 20th
Top Three: 2016: 9th [6th] | 2017: 16th [6th] | 2018: 4th [4th] | 2019: 3rd [1st]

itch787

Post by itch787 »

sorry new at this..

"Story no longer there, but..................start immediately as in gone from Lotus in the next race or thereafter?

I believe Hobbs said it on the American pre race show but I might have heard him wrong - I will investigate further not trying to be a rumor monger nor do I have an inside track ...

Amon

Post by Amon »

I was hoping they would announce both drivers in September. Maybe they are not that convinced by Gutierrez and/or Vergne or are waiting on how the Lotus/Renault saga pans out?
F1 fan since 1989

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Amon wrote:I was hoping they would announce both drivers in September. Maybe they are not that convinced by Gutierrez and/or Vergne or are waiting on how the Lotus/Renault saga pans out?

I was hoping that they'd announce both drivers Tuesday as well, but I don't see what waiting out the Renault/Lotus deal would effect since they've already hired the one driver that's worth having at Enstone.
{Insert clever sig line here}

Nosebuckle

Post by Nosebuckle »

The only reason I can see them taking Gutierrez is because that's part of the Ferrari package. You get our PU, the maximum allowed technical assistance, a bunch of folks with experience working in Maranello will work for your team but you also must take our driver who's backers are sponsoring the whole shebang to the tune of tens of millions of dollars per year. He's not a good F1 driver in spite of some some modest success in lower formula. Bit of a shame particularly if the car is decently competitive, but then again, there might be no car at all if not for Ferrari's backing.

HawaiiF1Fan

Post by HawaiiF1Fan »

Remmirath wrote:This article certainly implies that he's going to be sticking out this season with Lotus. Not much point to him going over to Haas before they've actually got cars on the grid, so it makes sense.

Well the other teams have started work on the 2016 cars already. I'm quite sure there is at least simulator testing going on with the primary and reserve drivers. That's the kind of thing that Romain could be doing right now.

As talented as the IndyCar drivers are (and assuming that Haas were to pick one up), they would still not be a good gauge on the car performance. Multiple drivers have already said how moving from anything into a F1 car is always stunning, most notably the braking performance.

owenmahamilton

Post by owenmahamilton »

I was a little surprised that in the press conference where Grosjean was unveiled, Gene Haas said that they would be starting work on the 2017 car quite soon, I suppose in a way it makes sense as the cars are going to look quite a lot different but it does seem to be a bit soon.

Placid

Post by Placid »

Gene and Gunther have just admitted that they were in total pressure about obtaining a US driver. But in the end - it is all business. There was no way they could obtain Rossi due to rookie status. And it was too risky to have a rookie for a new team. And most of the US open-wheelers are in Indy Car. None have ever raced in an official F1 circuit. Options are to have an American driver development program and an American as a test driver so they can meet the mandatory requirements for a superlicense.

And have to agree with that.

They will also going to announce Esteban Gutierrez as their 2nd driver.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3309 ... -american/

HawaiiF1Fan

Post by HawaiiF1Fan »

^^^I was hoping they would be able to lure Sergio away, but sadly no........... :(

Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

HawaiiF1Fan wrote:
Remmirath wrote:This article certainly implies that he's going to be sticking out this season with Lotus. Not much point to him going over to Haas before they've actually got cars on the grid, so it makes sense.

Well the other teams have started work on the 2016 cars already. I'm quite sure there is at least simulator testing going on with the primary and reserve drivers. That's the kind of thing that Romain could be doing right now.

Good point. He could be doing that in between driving for Lotus, too, so maybe that's what he's doing.

Placid wrote:Gene and Gunther have just admitted that they were in total pressure about obtaining a US driver. But in the end - it is all business. There was no way they could obtain Rossi due to rookie status. And it was too risky to have a rookie for a new team. And most of the US open-wheelers are in Indy Car. None have ever raced in an official F1 circuit. Options are to have an American driver development program and an American as a test driver so they can meet the mandatory requirements for a superlicense.

And have to agree with that.

They will also going to announce Esteban Gutierrez as their 2nd driver.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3309 ... -american/

Getting a rookie would've been risky, certainly. Gutierrez isn't the best available option, but it's not a great surprise that's the way they're going.
Top Three: 2016: 9th [6th] | 2017: 16th [6th] | 2018: 4th [4th] | 2019: 3rd [1st]

itch787

Post by itch787 »

Romain Grosjean: I would have raced for Renault next year.....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/34420287

"I was the first one who wanted to be part of the Renault project," the Frenchman told BBC World Service Sport.
"If they had come earlier I would have stayed, but I met with Haas, they made an approach and it was attractive."

C

itch787

Post by itch787 »

Haas caught off-guard by early season start

"But the late change of plans may have caught Haas, the new team for 2016, off-guard."
"Everything was designed for the start of testing on 1 March," team boss Gunther Steiner told Germany's Auto Motor und Sport."
"Now we have to somehow gain time and rewrite our production plans."

http://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/haas- ... son-start/

21 race calendar that's HUGE .....for everone

C

steoc4

Post by steoc4 »

I just watched an interesting interview with Graeme Loudon where he was discussing Haas - he seems pretty convinced that they're going to enter with a very strong car and they'll be consistent point scorers. Due to the fact that they're not bound by the regulations yet, they have access to unlimited windtunnel time, CFD time etc, and they can outsource designs and acquire IP ahead of time with much more freedom than teams who are currently bound by the regulations. It will be interesting to see how much of that pays off for them, might not be such a bad career move for Grosjean even if it doesn't lead on to Ferrari, as Lotus / Renault are probably going to have a painful transition for the first year or two anyway.

Amon

Post by Amon »

itch787 wrote:Romain Grosjean: I would have raced for Renault next year.....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/34420287

"I was the first one who wanted to be part of the Renault project," the Frenchman told BBC World Service Sport.
"If they had come earlier I would have stayed, but I met with Haas, they made an approach and it was attractive."

C

Yeah let's hope that for Romain it won't turn out like Timo Glock's career. He didn't wait on Renault and signed for Manor Virgin which killed his F1 career. But I'm positive Haas had the potential to become a strong team.
F1 fan since 1989

HawaiiF1Fan

Post by HawaiiF1Fan »

steoc4 wrote:I just watched an interesting interview with Graeme Loudon where he was discussing Haas - he seems pretty convinced that they're going to enter with a very strong car and they'll be consistent point scorers. Due to the fact that they're not bound by the regulations yet, they have access to unlimited windtunnel time, CFD time etc, and they can outsource designs and acquire IP ahead of time with much more freedom than teams who are currently bound by the regulations. It will be interesting to see how much of that pays off for them, might not be such a bad career move for Grosjean even if it doesn't lead on to Ferrari, as Lotus / Renault are probably going to have a painful transition for the first year or two anyway.

I don't see anyone who has come straight out of the gates with a strong effort and don't think this will be the same with Haas. Gene has the best windtunnel in the world but if their CFD models aren't good, they aren't good.

I think Haas is putting together a much better effort than I had originally given them credit for, but I seriously doubt they will be consistent points scorers in year 1.

Blake

Post by Blake »

I would like to think that Haas could come out of the gate as a point scorer, but I suspect you are right.

BTW, Hawaii... I am coming your way in November. What Island are you on?
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

HawaiiF1Fan

Post by HawaiiF1Fan »

Blake wrote:I would like to think that Haas could come out of the gate as a point scorer, but I suspect you are right.

Well never sell anyone short at the first couple of races, first race especially. Entirely possible Haas might get points, but this far (year 3) into the new powertrain formula I'm not too encouraged that will happen.

I'm on Oahu.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

HawaiiF1Fan wrote:Well never sell anyone short at the first couple of races, first race especially. Entirely possible Haas might get points, but this far (year 3) into the new powertrain formula I'm not too encouraged that will happen.

Why not? They'll be getting the 2016 Ferrari power unit, the 'A-spec' that RBR covets; if Sauber was good for points in the first race of 2015, there's no good reason Haas shouldn't be in 2016 with a better lead driver.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

HawaiiF1Fan

Post by HawaiiF1Fan »

Exediron wrote:
HawaiiF1Fan wrote:Well never sell anyone short at the first couple of races, first race especially. Entirely possible Haas might get points, but this far (year 3) into the new powertrain formula I'm not too encouraged that will happen.

Why not? They'll be getting the 2016 Ferrari power unit, the 'A-spec' that RBR covets; if Sauber was good for points in the first race of 2015, there's no good reason Haas shouldn't be in 2016 with a better lead driver.

I think from a mechanical reliability viewpoint with the new formula, the best chances for the smaller teams to score points is already gone in year 3. I think the next shakeup in the aero will be the best chance for the new/smaller teams to score points.

F1 has proven in the last decade or so how much tougher it is for the smaller teams to compete.

I would say the only small team that did it was Brawn even then it was because Ross dumped his 2008 car and put everything into the 2009 car pretty early in the year.

Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

I think there's a chance that Haas will be at least in the running for points right out of the gate. They do have a (presumably) good engine and they do have good support for their chassis work with the wind tunnel time and all, so there is the potential for them to have a strong package right away. How much they'll actually be in contention will of course depend in large part on how other teams are doing next year, but I don't think it's unrealistic to expect them to land in the points in the first few races.

I don't expect them to be fighting for podiums. That'd be expecting too much. But points? Yeah, I could see that.

Blake

Post by Blake »

HawaiiF1Fan wrote:
Blake wrote:I would like to think that Haas could come out of the gate as a point scorer, but I suspect you are right.

Well never sell anyone short at the first couple of races, first race especially. Entirely possible Haas might get points, but this far (year 3) into the new powertrain formula I'm not too encouraged that will happen.

I'm on Oahu.

Thats where I am heading. Check your PMs
:D
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Exediron wrote:

BMW-Sauber once had one of the most powerful supercomputer in the world, one of the best wind tunnels in the world, great facilities, very powerful engine, 400 people in Hinwil alone and lots of money and yet it was barely able to score any points in 2009. The facilities and money doesn't bring success. Nowadays Sauber and others are able to score points in almost every season, because they have their own ip, knowledge and years experience in running F1 team. While Haas most likely employ a lot of people with F1 experience, but they still need to start without any ip as customers cars are banned. Haas will need to reinvent wheel, while other teams can just iterate their designs and already have people working as a team.
eeee

mds

Post by mds »

Lower midfield, Q2 appearances (but not Q3) and some points is what I would put my money on next year for Haas. They'll do well if it turns out like that.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

mds wrote:Lower midfield, Q2 appearances (but not Q3) and some points is what I would put my money on next year for Haas. They'll do well if it turns out like that.

I will remind you of this post in about 13 months or so. :twisted:
eeee

mds

Post by mds »

dizlexik wrote:
mds wrote:Lower midfield, Q2 appearances (but not Q3) and some points is what I would put my money on next year for Haas. They'll do well if it turns out like that.

As long as I don't actually have to pay you money, that's just fine :)

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

mds wrote:
dizlexik wrote:

As long as I don't actually have to pay you money, that's just fine :)

OK :)
eeee

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

:thumbup: Lower midfield is pretty much how I see it going. Some points would be a solid starting point for them.

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:

:thumbup: Lower midfield is pretty much how I see it going. Some points would be a solid starting point for them.

Ignoring Manor, I see them being around the back of the pack. Quick enough to take advantage of others around them underperforming, but not quick enough to get out of Q1 on merit. Certainly not at first. That being said, I think if they've a reliable car, I can see them sneaking into the points on a few occasions. I'd predict around 10 points for them over the season. Which I think would be a good first season, especially when you look at the last three teams that came into F1 (albeit under different circumstances).
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x8
2020: 9th | 2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th

itch787

Post by itch787 »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:

on the front page of planetf1...

http://planetf1.com/news/haas-could-sco ... ight-away/

‘Haas could score straight away’

Graeme Lowdon believes new rivals Haas could be "scoring pretty much straight away" thanks to a changes in Formula 1's regulations.

Next season Haas will replace Manor as the new boys on the block as American Gene Haas braves the pinnicle of motorsport.

...only time will tell - I just want a USA team on the grid , not what happened to USF1 in 2010,,,,

C

moby

Post by moby »

itch787 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

on the front page of planetf1...

http://planetf1.com/news/haas-could-sco ... ight-away/

‘Haas could score straight away’

Graeme Lowdon believes new rivals Haas could be "scoring pretty much straight away" thanks to a changes in Formula 1's regulations.

Next season Haas will replace Manor as the new boys on the block as American Gene Haas braves the pinnicle of motorsport.

...only time will tell - I just want a USA team on the grid , not what happened to USF1 in 2010,,,,

C

I saw that interview, and I am not suer I agree. Had they come on board this year, yes it is quite probable that a competitive car of any sort that had completed the distance would have a few points by now. Next year wil be different. Even if Mclaren do not sort themselves out, there will only be one Renault engined team, and that is not going to be as bad as this year due to cooling, plus what ever improvements they use. Unless they get a better engine than Sauber, and there is mayhem mid field, they will do well to get more than the occasional points, which I suppose Manor would have been truly grateful for this year

mds

Post by mds »

Apparently they have a budget of 100-110M.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that more than half of the current teams? I think only Merc, Ferrari, McLaren and RBR spend more?

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

mds wrote:Apparently they have a budget of 100-110M.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that more than half of the current teams? I think only Merc, Ferrari, McLaren and RBR spend more?

Not quite; if reports are to be believed, that puts them above only Manor. If it was Euros, it would put them above Sauber as well - as it is, the budget is very comparable to Sauber's, and about $30-40m below Force India, Toro Rosso or Lotus.

However, considering that they aren't paying development costs for a large number of parts sourced from Ferrari and aren't paying all the manufacturing costs associated with building their own car, they may be able to punch somewhat above that budget number. At least it ought to allow them to have a car that's on the same lap as most of the field.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion