Jerez Testing

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
mcdo

Re: Jerez Testing

Post by mcdo »

RaggedMan wrote:Has anybody else noticed this bubble on the McLaren nose? Was it there yesterday? Crazy stuff shows up at tests.

You can see it in the third photo in this gallery.
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/gallery/190279.html
That's just another sensor right?
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

rife_hypocricy

Post by rife_hypocricy »

1 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1m20.984s - 89
2 Felipe Nasr Sauber/Ferrari 1m21.867s 0.883s 88
3 Valtteri Bottas Williams/Mercedes 1m22.319s 1.335s 61
4 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1m22.490s 1.506s 91
5 Max Verstappen Toro Rosso/Renault 1m24.167s 3.183s 73
6 Pastor Maldonado Lotus/Mercedes 1m25.802s 4.818s 41
7 Jenson Button McLaren/Honda 1m54.655s 33.671s 6
8 Daniil Kvyat Red Bull/Renault - - 18

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

rife_hypocricy wrote:1 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1m20.984s - 89
Good to see both Ferarri powered cars putting in a decent lap count.

Toro Rosso's count is also pretty encouraging.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Gut feeling tells me Ferrari will be the second best team this year. Poor Fred...

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

sandman1347 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Gut feeling tells me Ferrari will be the second best team this year. Poor Fred...
No I think it will be Red Bull, they will have one more year up at the top then start to decline.

Ferrari are certainly looking in better shape though (could all be smoke and mirrors), Allison seems happy, but IMO their aero looks a bit sloppy, especially when compared to the McLaren at the rear.

McLaren look good, Prodromou's influence is visible seeing how Red Bull esque the packaging is. The car looks good, they just need to get to grips with the engine. I think the tight packaging at he rear will mean they take a while to get the Honda running on full power, but I see no reason to think that once they do the engine won't be strong.
Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

beastlymaiden wrote:Hmm.. Are Ferrari looking good this year ??
Last year after the 4 day Jerez test Magnussen in the McLaren set the fastest time 4 tenths clear of the field, Magnussen ended up 11th in the WDC, it's just testing guys :)
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

johnp

Post by johnp »

Someone should inform McLaren that testing has started. I predict that Mercedes will post a lap that'll be over a second faster than the rest of the field (on the last day of testing)

Alex53

Post by Alex53 »

Just come back from Jerez. Will post some photos later. Was quite amusing seeing the Red Bull do installation laps all day without a front wing.

thegamer23

Post by thegamer23 »

Some very good quality photos of today's test. (click to enlarge)
http://www.passionecorse.com/jerez-day- ... 10-scatti/

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Zoue wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Uffman wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Zoue wrote: encouraging stuff for both teams
Not really though, Ferrari will still be down on power by some margin and we know that Honda will likely struggle for this season at least. Not much point having better downforce if your lump can't power the car down the straights! Could still be a long year for Alonso and Vettel fans.
We saw last year how Red Bull was down on power but had great Aerodynamics and managed to win 3 races. So its not just power
The Ferrari was said to be in far worse shape with its engine in 2014 than Renault, the Renault has great driveablity while the Ferrari was heavy and sluggish. In 2015 the Ferrari is said to be more powerful than last year but it remains to be seen if it has good driveablity in race conditions. It still looks rather tubby round the mid section and rear.
I said encouraging. I wasn't getting out the bunting just yet.

If there were major aerodynamic deficiencies with last year's cars that look to have been resolved with this year's, then that's encouraging in my book. Similarly, if the engine has been significantly improved. How competitive it will be remains to be seen, but surely it's a step in the right direction?
I wonder if the article will put to bed Alonso's responsibilty for the poor performance of the Ferrari and head of any praise for the improved performance of the Ferrari that might go in the direction of Vettel or Kimi. Drivers don't design cars, they might help with the fine tuning of a car but they can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

pokerman wrote: I wonder if the article will put to bed Alonso's responsibilty for the poor performance of the Ferrari and head of any praise for the improved performance of the Ferrari that might go in the direction of Vettel or Kimi. Drivers don't design cars, they might help with the fine tuning of a car but they can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
To be honest, anyone who seriously believed that drivers can be held responsible for the performance of cars aren't going to let simple things like logic and common sense sway their beliefs.
Winter is Coming

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

sandman1347 wrote:If Daniel Ricciardo is smart, he will use this season to try to earn a spot racing either for McLaren, Ferrari or Mercedes. It won't be easy and those teams all have excellent drivers already but I just get the feeling that Red Bull is about to have their last season of being at the sharp end.

This car will still be, essentially, a Newey car. The 2016 car will be the first of the post-Newey era and there are likely to be some changes to the regs heading into that year. It's going to be a big challenge and Newey isn't the only RBR man who has left. Red Bull have been bleeding design personnel for the last couple of years now such as Peter Prodromou going to McLaren. I think Red Bull's time at the front is about to come to an end and Daniel would be wise to move on while his stock is sky high.
Well i'm tipping the Red Bull to be a strong car this year and has there is no big rule changes for 2016 it should still be competitive, i don't think his crystal ball is that good to think otherwise? Also i wouldn't be too surprised if he is under contract with Red Bull for 2016 whilst drivers are under contract at the other teams apart from Kimi at Ferrari, a Vettel/Ricciardo would be interesting.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Blake

Post by Blake »

JohnnyGuitar wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:Last year's fastest first day time was set by Raikkonen.

Saying that, I agree with Laura, unless Nico has found some serious pace over the winter we're in for a dull year.
Do you think 2014 was dull?

YES !!!
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Blake wrote:
JohnnyGuitar wrote:

Saying that, I agree with Laura, unless Nico has found some serious pace over the winter we're in for a dull year.

YES !!!
Agreed. Mind numbingly dull at times.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Alex53

Post by Alex53 »

A few of my shots;

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Blake wrote:
JohnnyGuitar wrote:

YES !!!
I could live with a repeat of 2014 :)
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mds

Post by mds »

Nice shots. I especially like the Lotus and Mercedes ones - good panning there! Although I wonder what happened with the orange-painted part of the railings :)
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

Blake

Post by Blake »

Thanks, Alex.... nice shots!!!
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Alex53

Post by Alex53 »

Glad you like them. Had a good time taking those.
mds wrote:Although I wonder what happened with the orange-painted part of the railings :)
Those are two barriers, one slightly in front of the other so that there is a gap for a marshall to access the curcuit, but no opening for debris to go through.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:If Daniel Ricciardo is smart, he will use this season to try to earn a spot racing either for McLaren, Ferrari or Mercedes. It won't be easy and those teams all have excellent drivers already but I just get the feeling that Red Bull is about to have their last season of being at the sharp end.

This car will still be, essentially, a Newey car. The 2016 car will be the first of the post-Newey era and there are likely to be some changes to the regs heading into that year. It's going to be a big challenge and Newey isn't the only RBR man who has left. Red Bull have been bleeding design personnel for the last couple of years now such as Peter Prodromou going to McLaren. I think Red Bull's time at the front is about to come to an end and Daniel would be wise to move on while his stock is sky high.
Well i'm tipping the Red Bull to be a strong car this year and has there is no big rule changes for 2016 it should still be competitive, i don't think his crystal ball is that good to think otherwise? Also i wouldn't be too surprised if he is under contract with Red Bull for 2016 whilst drivers are under contract at the other teams apart from Kimi at Ferrari, a Vettel/Ricciardo would be interesting.
Yeah that would be priceless if Ricciardo followed Vettel to Ferrari :lol: . I too expect Red bull to be strong this year but they are already one year into a long slow decline IMO.

A2jdl

Post by A2jdl »

Alex53 wrote:Glad you like them. Had a good time taking those.
mds wrote:Although I wonder what happened with the orange-painted part of the railings :)
Those are two barriers, one slightly in front of the other so that there is a gap for a marshall to access the curcuit, but no opening for debris to go through.
:thumbup: good pictures.
You can see from the Mclaren pic how tightly packaged the back end is, & where the sidepods end abruptly, it almost looks like some bodywork is missing. It looks very aggressive from that angle.

ob1kenobi.23

Post by ob1kenobi.23 »

Not sure how much truth there is in this but Felipe Nasr thinks that the Ferrari engine in his Sauber feels about the same as the Merc unit in the Williams last year.

http://www.espn.co.uk/sauber/motorsport ... MP=OTC-RSS
Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:Not sure how much truth there is in this but Felipe Nasr thinks that the Ferrari engine in his Sauber feels about the same as the Merc unit in the Williams last year.

http://www.espn.co.uk/sauber/motorsport ... MP=OTC-RSS
Well Ferrari were said to be 50BHP behind Merc last year. However they are reported to have found an extra 60BHP for 2015 which would bring it in line, if not slightly more powerful than the 2014 Merc unit Nasr would have driven.

Sadly for Nasr, Merc found an extra 50BHP themselves again for 2015.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Colo134

Post by Colo134 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXwb0aCF3YI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL5YYasWIhA

Here are a couple videos comparing Ferrari car handling in 2014 and 2015. and Mercedes handling in 2014 vs 2015.

Personally I cant deduce what the differences are, if there are any. But maybe some of you who are more eagle eyed, and eared can.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Yeah that would be priceless if Ricciardo followed Vettel to Ferrari :lol: . I too expect Red bull to be strong this year but they are already one year into a long slow decline IMO.
Would you be thinking that if they had the Mercedes engine, i'm guessing you taking into account the Newey factor but you know Mercedes are doing ok without Newey.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Colo134 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXwb0aCF3YI

Here are a couple videos comparing Ferrari car handling in 2014 and 2015. and Mercedes handling in 2014 vs 2015.

Personally I cant deduce what the differences are, if there are any. But maybe some of you who are more eagle eyed, and eared can.
I got this video in the side menu when I followed you link. Shows every car that ran on the first day going through the chicane.

The Williams looks racy, STR a little unbalanced but then again it's a rookie at the wheel. And course the crowd gets excited when Alonso comes sputtering through.

http://youtu.be/kYTaZweP7XU
{Insert clever sig line here}

ob1kenobi.23

Post by ob1kenobi.23 »

sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Maybe even Lewis to Ferrari, that would be fun.

Privately, however, opinion is divided on how much of a done deal it is. Some sources said that Hamilton has begun tentative talks withFerrari as a fallback option, while others dismiss the suggestion out of hand.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/sport/H ... 648851.ece?
Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

pubpokerplayer

Post by pubpokerplayer »

People who think 2014 was dull - Please go rewatch the 2013 season and remember how lucky we were last season.

specdecible

Post by specdecible »

pubpokerplayer wrote:People who think 2014 was dull - Please go rewatch the 2013 season and remember how lucky we were last season.
Then watch the 2010 season and remember how dull the 2014 title fight was ;)
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco '12 & '15, Silverstone '14, Austria '15, Mexico '15, China '16)
Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

pubpokerplayer wrote:People who think 2014 was dull - Please go rewatch the 2013 season and remember how lucky we were last season.
It wasn't as bad as some, no, but compare it to say, 2010 or 2012?

Plus I think the team shunning Rosberg cost him something post-spa. If he hasn't at least regained that, 2015 is going to be even more dull, especially as I would assume Mercedes are getting ever more reliable.
IV

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

AngusWolfe wrote:

Plus I think the team shunning Rosberg cost him something post-spa. If he hasn't at least regained that, 2015 is going to be even more dull, especially as I would assume Mercedes are getting ever more reliable.
Nonsense. Rosberg was never shunned.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

sandman1347 wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

Nonsense. Rosberg was never shunned.
Yeah i think the only thing that might have set Rosberg back was the booing, especially when he realised that it wasn't just the British fans
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

CaptainRicky

Post by CaptainRicky »

2014 was ok but it would have been even better if half the grid didn't go bankrupt and if double points didn't ruin Abu Dhabi. Other than that, there was great racing and great action. I do think Rosberg was at least demotivated after Spa, as somebody said, it wasn't just the British fans that booed him. Williams, Red Bull and Ferrari are showing some (even if a little!) promise which should make this season slightly better than the last. Heck, we don't have double points to worry about now, so that's always a bonus. But half the grid is still bankrupt.

beastlymaiden

Post by beastlymaiden »

2014 was not as boring as 2013, but it was considerably boring because the championship was a fight within one team. The rest of the teams were fighting for the rest of the places. Teams like Ferrari had considerably reliable cars, but way too slow as compared to Mercedes.
Currently, Ferrari looks reliable (just like they did last year same time), so do the other teams, except McLaren , but speed ? Cannot judge based on testing times. Vettel did mention that Mercedes are probably on a completely different testing goal in this test. They seem to be testing long to extremely long runs.
Just hoping that 2015 sees the other teams challenging for victories.

JohnnyGuitar

Post by JohnnyGuitar »

Blake wrote:
JohnnyGuitar wrote:

YES !!!
Sorry, but it wasn't!

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

2014 was not boring imo.

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

RaggedMan wrote:
Colo134 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXwb0aCF3YI

I got this video in the side menu when I followed you link. Shows every car that ran on the first day going through the chicane.

The Williams looks racy, STR a little unbalanced but then again it's a rookie at the wheel. And course the crowd gets excited when Alonso comes sputtering through.

http://youtu.be/kYTaZweP7XU
In terms of racy you dont know what kind of lap they were all on at the time!

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Alex53 wrote:A few of my shots;
Thanks for the photos. The Lotus is beautiful car, I hope it's quick too. :)
eeee

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

dizlexik wrote:
Alex53 wrote:A few of my shots;
Thanks for the photos. The Lotus is beautiful car, I hope it's quick too. :)
:thumbup:

mds

Post by mds »

JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Blake wrote:
JohnnyGuitar wrote:

YES !!!
Sorry, but it wasn't!
Depends. Down in the field, the racing was great. I think AngusWolfe was talking about the WDC battle however, and that was only artificially exciting. Except for Bahrain it was mostly Hamilton leading Rosberg or Hamilton chasing Rosberg, passing him then leading him again.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!