F1 app

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
TBWG

F1 app

Post by TBWG »

With the start of the F1 season rapidly approaching does anyone have any news on the F1 app?

RaggedMan

Re: F1 app

Post by RaggedMan »

I think it was only released about 2 weeks before the first race last year.

For some reason I think I read that there was going to be a big overhaul this year so it might go close to the same time this year.
{Insert clever sig line here}

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

Mine is still working (news, etc.)

I wonder how much the new one will be?
#KeepFightingMichael

mds

Post by mds »

RaggedMan wrote: For some reason I think I read that there was going to be a big overhaul this year so it might go close to the same time this year.
I don't think so - there was a huge overhaul last year already and I think the app looks and feels great so no need for yet another big overhaul.

The app still works. Last year one could purchase a season pass for use with the app enabling all content. I figure they will do the same now and make the 2015 season pass available shortly before the first race.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

I've been saving for the last 3 years to purchase the 2015 version.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

mds

Post by mds »

Asphalt_World wrote:I've been saving for the last 3 years to purchase the 2015 version.
Before 2014 the app was ridiculously expensive, but lat year I paid about €8 for the season pass. I think that was fair.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

mds wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:I've been saving for the last 3 years to purchase the 2015 version.
Before 2014 the app was ridiculously expensive, but lat year I paid about €8 for the season pass. I think that was fair.
Completely agree.

After purchasing the App, I couldn't believe the amount of information that was being given. So much information wasn't ever present on the live timing software for PC.

This year they may even upgrade the software for PC as well but not sure. Bigger screen would be all the more fun.

Anyway, just love this App. Too good to be true.
Feel The Fourth

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

There is a free app that provides all the info I need, but I can't mention it. No it doesn't have as much as the official one, but there's only so much I need to be looking at whist the TV is also on.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

TBWG

Post by TBWG »

Still no news? Getting close to season start!

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Has any one tried starting the F1 app in their PC?

I updated the JAVA software but when the app tries to open, there is some error stating your security settings have blcoked an application signed with an expired or not-yet-valid certificate from running.

Maybe they'll update this before the 1st practice.
Feel The Fourth

TBWG

Post by TBWG »

Without wishing to labour the point, they are cutting it fine releasing the 2015 season F1 app.

So I emailed them and received this reply .......

Hello and thank you for your email.
We are currently in the process of relaunching the Official F1(R) App for 2015 on iOS and Android, as well as other updates to our timing pages. If your query is related to this, please check back before the first race. Otherwise, we'll endeavour to respond to your query as soon as we can.

Thank you.

So now we know, I just need to be patient!

TBWG

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

TBWG wrote:Without wishing to labour the point, they are cutting it fine releasing the 2015 season F1 app.

So I emailed them and received this reply .......

Hello and thank you for your email.
We are currently in the process of relaunching the Official F1(R) App for 2015 on iOS and Android, as well as other updates to our timing pages. If your query is related to this, please check back before the first race. Otherwise, we'll endeavour to respond to your query as soon as we can.

Thank you.

So now we know, I just need to be patient!

TBWG
Thanks. :thumbup:
Feel The Fourth

mds

Post by mds »

I thought about this just yesterday. They'd better release it in time. I really want live timing during the races, for me it's vital information that I need to really gain insight into what's happening in a race.

I'm going to pay for it, no problem, but at least give me the whole season.

Also I don't understand why they are relaunching the app yet again. It looks good and works well, just let us buy a season pass for 2015 and get on with it.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

mds wrote:I thought about this just yesterday. They'd better release it in time. I really want live timing during the races, for me it's vital information that I need to really gain insight into what's happening in a race.

Also I don't understand why they are relaunching the app yet again. It looks good and works well, just let us buy a season pass for 2015 and get on with it.
Re-launching could be adding a few upgrades, graphics etc.

There's nothing more to add.

Wish the mobile app had a PC version as well as seeing it on a larger screen would be more exciting.
Feel The Fourth

mds

Post by mds »

UnlikeUday wrote:
mds wrote:I thought about this just yesterday. They'd better release it in time. I really want live timing during the races, for me it's vital information that I need to really gain insight into what's happening in a race.

Re-launching could be adding a few upgrades, graphics etc.
Indeed, but they can do that on a rolling schedule. The functionality is there, so use it, and if you want to churn out upgrades you can do that at any time in the future.

SILVAF0XX

Post by SILVAF0XX »

Just wish they were releasing a Windows Phone app :(

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

UnlikeUday wrote:Wish the mobile app had a PC version as well as seeing it on a larger screen would be more exciting.
Download 'Andy' (it's free, see below) and run just about any Android app on your PC, you can specify the emulator screen size too

I have used it to run very complex apps as well as games, you may have to side load some apps as 'Play' sometime objects

'Andy' - http://www.andyroid.net/

Here's my Windows (8.1 FHD) desktop with 'KitKat' running in a 1280x800 window and this post in the background

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

I use "F1LT" which is an unofficial live timing app, its free and it works :)

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

nixxxon wrote:I use "F1LT" which is an unofficial live timing app, its free and it works :)
Will try that out.

I've got the premium version of F1 app in my Android cell. Even that is showing errors.

Will I need to buy the F1 app again this year or will it get sorted before the practice starts?

Even on the Official F1 website, still there is an error.

Kind of frustrating! :x
Feel The Fourth

mds

Post by mds »

UnlikeUday wrote: Will I need to buy the F1 app again this year or will it get sorted before the practice starts?
Since last year you don't actually buy the app, you buy a season pass. The app is freely downloadable and if you buy the pass you have acces to all features.

About F1LT: does that still work? I thought that somewhere last year the FIA had cut off the API access F1LT was using to provide the timings and since then F1LT could only show purple, green or yellow circles per sector?

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

mds wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote: Will I need to buy the F1 app again this year or will it get sorted before the practice starts?
Since last year you don't actually buy the app, you buy a season pass. The app is freely downloadable and if you buy the pass you have acces to all features.

About F1LT: does that still work? I thought that somewhere last year the FIA had cut off the API access F1LT was using to provide the timings and since then F1LT could only show purple, green or yellow circles per sector?
I had bought the pass which gave me access to the great features.

The question is that will I need to pay for it this year or will it be a continued access?
Feel The Fourth

mds

Post by mds »

UnlikeUday wrote:
mds wrote:

I had bought the pass which gave me access to the great features.

The question is that will I need to pay for it this year or will it be a continued access?
You'll need to buy a 2015 pass. When it becomes available, that is...

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

As of now on the official F1 website, the times for the practice, qualifying & race are TBC.

That's strange as I've never seen this before & always the times as per my Time Zone would be available as well.

Seems they are doing a revamp or planning to upgrade their timing system.
Feel The Fourth

Herb

Post by Herb »

The updated app has been released, £19.99 for the seasons access.

Hmm. No.

TBWG

Post by TBWG »

Thanks for the tip Herb.

Because of my location I need to purchase this app to know what is going on and at £20 I suppose £1 a race is not too bad.

It appears that you just update last years app and purchase a new season pass.

On first impressions looks professional and improvement over last year with pre race video of each event.

Worth waiting for.

mds

Post by mds »

Do they have a monkey throwing darts for setting the price on this thing? Two years ago it was ridiculously expensive, last year it was much more reasonable but now the price has tripled again.

Bit disappointed to be honest.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

mds wrote:About F1LT: does that still work? I thought that somewhere last year the FIA had cut off the API access F1LT was using to provide the timings and since then F1LT could only show purple, green or yellow circles per sector?
Last time I used it was in mid september of last year, when I was out of home during a race, it worked fine.

6speed

Post by 6speed »

mds wrote:Do they have a monkey throwing darts for setting the price on this thing? Two years ago it was ridiculously expensive, last year it was much more reasonable but now the price has tripled again.

Bit disappointed to be honest.
I agree completely.

I just got the update on my iPad and it now has the pricing option for the 2015 season pass, I was ready to sign-up until I saw the updated price of $26.99 USD, disappointed is just how I felt.

I will hold off signing up until after the season starts to see how things go. In general I'm not very excited for this season has I have been in the past. I am still not over last year's formula change.

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

No way am I paying £20 for it when I only paid £7.99 last year.

mds

Post by mds »

Clarky wrote:No way Am I paying £20 for it when I only paid £7.99 last year.
For me it depends. If F1LT still works as reported then I'm using that. However if it doesn't I'm buying the season pass. I don't think it's worth that kind of money but I simply can't do without live timing. I need it to fully know and understand what's going on.

A2jdl

Post by A2jdl »

£8 was over priced but £20 is take the gherkin

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

F1 tickets are overpriced for most fans as it is... seems they're trying to price us out of following it online now too.
#KeepFightingMichael

TBWG

Post by TBWG »

Well the F1 app was an anticlimax, having paid for the season pass was unable to access any of the premium features. At one stage on the so called live commentary was showing CHI and BIA getting a blue flag in a race last year, whats that all about!

Also in FAQ instructions to restore pass does not work as it shows I have an active subscription?

I know it's the first session but they have had months to sort this, just another example of the dire state of F1 at the moment.

Rant over, lucky I can resort to PlanetF1 and Autosport live feed to find out what is going on in the sessions.

Schumi4ever

Post by Schumi4ever »

This is ridiculous. I was one of those who paid for the app last time around, but asking to pay 2.5 times more for this year is plain stupid. F1 keeps moaning about losing audiences.. Well, it will really have to fight to keep a hold of its existing fans at this rate. Wow.

TheBlackFlag

Post by TheBlackFlag »

$36 Canadian

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

I paid for the app and it worked well in FP1, but now it is giving network error (both IOS and Android). The LT on F1.com is working but it is minimal. I didn't sign up for the full access online yet - even though it will be free of charge supposedly, I guess I'll try that. Anyone having luck with the timing App this session?

TBWG

Post by TBWG »

bourbon19 wrote:I paid for the app and it worked well in FP1, but now it is giving network error (both IOS and Android). The LT on F1.com is working but it is minimal. I didn't sign up for the full access online yet - even though it will be free of charge supposedly, I guess I'll try that. Anyone having luck with the timing App this session?

Cannot access live timing despite having premium access on ipad, also requested URL not found message on F1 site on my PC.

Really need to clean up their act.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

This damn app does not work.

What a disgrace. Is there a way to get a refund?

TBWG

Post by TBWG »

kleefton wrote:This damn app does not work.

You got to be kidding I have a friend who is still waiting for a refund when the Belgian GP was cancelled about 25 years ago after the track broke up after resurfacing.

Bernie does not do refunds!!

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

kleefton wrote:This damn app does not work.

Try to see if there's an update, or wait for it.