Bottas. Overrated?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Schumacher forever#1

Bottas. Overrated?

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Bottas, the shining light of the season, the future world champion, Sir Frank says... All just a little bit of propaganda? He's shown how to keep cool, and got a couple of podiums, but for him to be considered a future world champion, should he not be consistently beating Massa? Don't get me wrong, I don't not think Bottas is a great driver, and I believe that, given the right equipment and a teammate that isn't a threat, he probably will be a champion, but I think he's been praised more than what he's actually achieved this year.

For example, Bottas has gotten the same amount of votes as driver of the day as Fernando Alonso. Inaccurate and misleading results, yes I know, but I'll use them anyway! I think if Alonso was in the Williams this year, he would have tucked away Austria and Canada, maybe more. Anyway, obviously you don't have to be as good as Alonso to be considered a great driver, but you should be beating a new teammate such as Massa on a regular basis, right? In the last two races, problems yes, but he finished below him, and would have still if he didn't have those bugs in Brasil, I believe.

So, what do you guys think? Looking back through the season, has Bottas been overhyped by the media, or has he really put on a great performance this season?
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Laura23

Re: Bottas. Overrated?

Post by Laura23 »

No. He's shown very steady but consistent improvement all season. He'll her very strong next year should Williams keep improving themselves. You can't expect Bottas (second year in F1) to be on the same level as Alonso (2x WDC and a veteran these days) just yet.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Simon1969

Post by Simon1969 »

I honestly think he's been really really good and if it wasn't for the Merc's almost total dominance he'd have been in the WDC hunt.

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

At the moment, I think he is a touch overrated. For the hype he was getting, he really should have put Massa away alot more convincingly than he did. If it weren't for Massa getting involved in every collision he could find in the first part of the year the points would have been a lot closer. Not to mention in the second half of the year, Massa had the clear upper hand over Bottas.

He has potential that's for sure, but at the moment, I wouldn't call him a future world champion, a future race winner yes, not sure about champion.
Winter is Coming

A2jdl

Post by A2jdl »

RunningMan wrote:At the moment, I think he is a touch overrated. For the hype he was getting, he really should have put Massa away alot more convincingly than he did. If it weren't for Massa getting involved in every collision he could find in the first part of the year the points would have been a lot closer. Not to mention in the second half of the year, Massa had the clear upper hand over Bottas.

He has potential that's for sure, but at the moment, I wouldn't call him a future world champion, a future race winner yes, not sure about champion.
:thumbup:
I think pat symonds said they are not ready for a star driver at the moment, but a star driver would have won at least two races this yr

lord byron

Post by lord byron »

For sure he is just as good as any other young driver in the field
Then he said to his disciples, “The time is coming when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you will not see it. Luke 17 22

davidheath461

Post by davidheath461 »

Agree that he's a touch overrated. With the car he had, he should have been fighting Ricciardo for 3rd place in the championship.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Yes.

But that doesn't mean he isn't very, very good - just that the hype surrounding him is a bit out of control. He beat Massa by about the same margin as Ricciardo beat Vettel, and not too many people think that's an equal achievement. Add to that that the Williams has been the 2nd fastest car for most of the year and Bottas really should have been 3rd in the championship if he was as impressive as he's been made out to be by certain people.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Simon1969 wrote:I honestly think he's been really really good and if it wasn't for the Merc's almost total dominance he'd have been in the WDC hunt.
Take the Merc's out and he'd have won four races but Ricciardo would have won six and taken the title quite comfortably 315 to Bottas 273.

Beschy

Post by Beschy »

Agree, ovveratted.

2nd best car - 4th in championship.

Did nothing other than put that car where it deserved to be a few times as far as I saw.
Schumacher was better than Senna.

lord byron

Post by lord byron »

davidheath461 wrote:Agree that he's a touch overrated. With the car he had, he should have been fighting Ricciardo for 3rd place in the championship.
yeah just think with the hype at the start of the season if he was in Hamilton's league he might have pulled the car up in to contention for a wdc
Then he said to his disciples, “The time is coming when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you will not see it. Luke 17 22

Vyse

Post by Vyse »

Kovalainen MKII

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

A2jdl wrote:
RunningMan wrote:At the moment, I think he is a touch overrated. For the hype he was getting, he really should have put Massa away alot more convincingly than he did. If it weren't for Massa getting involved in every collision he could find in the first part of the year the points would have been a lot closer. Not to mention in the second half of the year, Massa had the clear upper hand over Bottas.

I think pat symonds said they are not ready for a star driver at the moment, but a star driver would have won at least two races this yr
Just a different philosophy. The story this year is about the re-emergence of Williams. Stick a star driver in it whilst you are rebuilding and he takes the credit for success.
If the Mclaren doesn't deliver next year Alonso will get his regular 'pass' and the car will be labelled a sh!tbox. If the car improves over the season Alonso will take the credit.
Plus for teams like Williams they would rather spend £20 million on the car in preference to a star driver.

Water

Post by Water »

It all depends on how you perceive people rating him. He's an excellent talent and certainly in the top two young drivers along with Ricciardo, but there's still time. He drove a very solid year, oddly enough very strong in the first 2/3 of the season to only be strong in the last third whereas Massa upped his game, but there's always the nagging thing about neither Williams being there when the Mercedes had problems, thus getting zero victories.

Also, I do not for a second believe anyone would've put the Williams in WDC contention. Looks like people indeed were overrating him - though that's a nice change from people barely noticing him last year - or if they did, many called him disappointing!

Future world champion? Certainly possible, but he'll face extremely stiff competition.

Beschy

Post by Beschy »

lord byron wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:Agree that he's a touch overrated. With the car he had, he should have been fighting Ricciardo for 3rd place in the championship.
yeah just think with the hype at the start of the season if he was in Hamilton's league he might have pulled the car up in to contention for a wdc
Or at least a race win.
Schumacher was better than Senna.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Beschy wrote:
lord byron wrote:
Or at least a race win.
Think how Kubica did with BMW Sauber in 2008, he did exactly that. He was in WDC with two races left and only BMW stopping development prevented him making it a three way in Brazil. That was Kubica's second full season as well.

I think Bottas is a great talent though, he's just developing at a slower rate than Kubica did.

VDV23

Post by VDV23 »

I think he's massively overrated at this point. I'm not saying he isn't a good driver but if you listen to people they'll make you believe that he's a top3-4 driver which he is not. But that's what having a very good makes to the perception of a driver - Massa is now regarded by many as better than in 2011/12/13.

The truth is that Maldonado was actually better on-track in 2013. It just happened that Williams improved the car when Maldonado was on his way out (USA) and Bottas outscored him in the final standings. Throughout the season Pastor performed better. Last year, Bottas often had the 2nd best car with quite a margin to the 3rd best. He was unchallenged in Silverstone on Sunday (even though he was knocked out in Q1). That's how a good car alters the perception about a driver. He made mistakes (Australia), sometimes he didn't have an answer to Felipe's pace (Canada, Singapore, Abu Dhabi). Overall, I'd say he's a good, solid driver but not on the level of the top guys. At least not currently.

Also, I guess the question if someone is overrated is heavily dependent on how do you think people rate a certain driver. My impression is that Bottas has been riding the hype train and a lot people say he's a top driver.

Simon1969

Post by Simon1969 »

Laura23 wrote:
Simon1969 wrote:I honestly think he's been really really good and if it wasn't for the Merc's almost total dominance he'd have been in the WDC hunt.
Take the Merc's out and he'd have won four races but Ricciardo would have won six and taken the title quite comfortably 315 to Bottas 273.
For sure.. but I think Ricciardo has been exceptional. :D

I guess Frank has been hyping him a little too much maybe but he's allowed to do that imo. I don't have a problem with it, I probably hype my own kids a bit too much when others don't think they are that special. ;)

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Water wrote:It all depends on how you perceive people rating him. He's an excellent talent and certainly in the top two young drivers along with Ricciardo, but there's still time. He drove a very solid year, oddly enough very strong in the first 2/3 of the season to only be strong in the last third whereas Massa upped his game, but there's always the nagging thing about neither Williams being there when the Mercedes had problems, thus getting zero victories.

Also, I do not for a second believe anyone would've put the Williams in WDC contention. Looks like people indeed were overrating him - though that's a nice change from people barely noticing him last year - or if they did, many called him disappointing!

Future world champion? Certainly possible, but he'll face extremely stiff competition.
Yeah I agree with this. Though when we considered Magnussen's future a few months ago in a thread, a lot said he should be beating Button somewhat comprehensively to be really shown as a star. Obviously Button stepped up his game massively and Magnussen got left in the dust.

There have been races throughout the year, though, when Massa has been faster than Bottas. Canada of the early races comes to mind. There was one point in the season where Massa was nowhere but I think that was Massa's fault rather than Bottas being good. All the top drivers that have come and gone have usually come into the sport performing better than his more experienced driver.And, yeah, I don't think anyone would challenege for the championship in a non-Merc car. But he should have been there to pick up the pieces for a few races.

I was actually questioning a few weeks ago if Bottas was racing in 2013! I honestly can't remember anything about him last season, only that he took Senna's seat.

:thumbup: my thoughts too.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Katie PI

Post by Katie PI »

The 2nd best car and only 3 podium and best finish of 3rd when even Felipe got a 2nd place.
I really not see why all the hype.Both Williams have under performed.A good driver but not world champion material IMO.

A2jdl

Post by A2jdl »

shoot999 wrote:
A2jdl wrote:

Just a different philosophy. The story this year is about the re-emergence of Williams. Stick a star driver in it whilst you are rebuilding and he takes the credit for success.
If the Mclaren doesn't deliver next year Alonso will get his regular 'pass' and the car will be labelled a sh!tbox. If the car improves over the season Alonso will take the credit.
Plus for teams like Williams they would rather spend £20 million on the car in preference to a star driver.
A bit like if bottas had won a race this year he would have got a lot of credit and deserved it !

Simon1969

Post by Simon1969 »

Katie PI wrote:The 2nd best car and only 3 podium and best finish of 3rd when even Felipe got a 2nd place.
I really not see why all the hype.Both Williams have under performed.A good driver but not world champion material IMO.
6 podiums no??

also at the first few races they defo didn't have the second best car... maybe until Austria the car didn't show real form, they were 7th and 8th in malaysia, I don't believe that's the fault of the drivers... the car wasn't that good back then.

Katie PI

Post by Katie PI »

Simon1969 wrote:
Katie PI wrote:The 2nd best car and only 3 podium and best finish of 3rd when even Felipe got a 2nd place.
6 podiums no??

also at the first few races they defo didn't have the second best car... maybe until Austria the car didn't show real form, they were 7th and 8th in malaysia, I don't believe that's the fault of the drivers... the car wasn't that good back then.
Yes my mistake,total brain fart ignore my numbers and post :blush:

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

I think Bottas has outperformed Massa quite comprehensively. About 50 points over the season and that's with Massa getting his best result in the double points race.

Bottas has been let down by some bad starts, most notably in Monza and AD where he started 3rd and lost a lot of places. He has 6 podiums to Massa's 3. Without those 2 bad starts it would probably be 7-2 and have another 34 points on Massa.

I think VB is the far better driver and this is his first season driving a competitive car, something Massa has many years experience of. I don't get people saying he should have won a couple of races. Which races specifically are you on about? Asking someone to beat Lewis Hamilton whilst driving a car half a second a lap slower is a ridiculously tall order.

The only chance Williams had to win a race was in Canada, where Felipe completely blew it. It took him about 5 laps to get past a Red Bull despite having fresher tyres, a more powerful engine and DRS at his disposal.
I remember when this website was all fields.

manny carvalho

Post by manny carvalho »

Does anyone else find the f1 driver mimicking "for sure" as the start of a post as funny as I do?

Anyway , I think bottas is definately all he is said to be which is a future world champion. Similar to hulkenberg,ricciardo and I believe grosjean given half a chance. Talent makes them capable of it and luck gives them the chance! If the mercs weren't like they were this year I think bottas would have taken it.

Simon1969

Post by Simon1969 »

Katie PI wrote:
Simon1969 wrote:
6 podiums no??

Yes my mistake,total brain fart ignore my numbers and post :blush:
:lol: no worries.

Simon1969

Post by Simon1969 »

manny carvalho wrote:Does anyone else find the f1 driver mimicking "for sure" as the start of a post as funny as I do?

Anyway , I think bottas is definately all he is said to be which is a future world champion. Similar to hulkenberg,ricciardo and I believe grosjean given half a chance. Talent makes them capable of it and luck gives them the chance! If the mercs weren't like they were this year I think bottas would have taken it.
yup ........ for sure.

mac_d

Post by mac_d »

It can be a little hard to judge as the pace of the Williams relative to Red Bull for example varied a lot. Mercedes were fastest at every circuit, 2nd fastest varied quite often back and forth between the RBR and Williams teams.

So a heroic performance at Circuit A to beat Ricciardo mihgt only require a lacklster performance at Circuit B and ight be nigh on impossible at the next circuit. However, barring hitting the wall in Australia he seemed to be pretty damn quick and pretty damn consistent all season long. With generally 2 (sometimes only one) Mercedes on the podium at any given race, scoring as many podiums as he did is still pretty impressive. Massa might not be the quickest guy in F1 looking at his performances from the last few years but beating Massa is still a feather in the cap.

Now, as to if he is over-rated, that depends on how everyone rates him compared to how I rate him. I think he shows promise. I hate when they say someone is a future champion as I think even with all the skill in the world you need to end up at the right place at the right time too. And while you can chose that via some knowledge and research, a part of it will always be dumb luck. I'd honestly consider Bottas to be in my "second" tier of drivers. I'd rate him similar to guys like Jenson Button.

I do expect that we'll see Bottas win a GP at some point. I'm hoping Williams grow some big metaphorical balls next season. I feel this year they were more focused on getting 3rd and a podium rather than risking it for 1st or 2nd. I can understand it a bit, especially after a bad season last year and given the chance that Merc would be 1-2 in any given race and be relatively unbeatable.

manny carvalho

Post by manny carvalho »

You should have said
yea, No ..... For sure .... Me and all my fingers back at the keyboard have learned a lot today and are really pushing for the next post or ... None of our posts are signed yet and they don't know what thread they will be in. Adopt one for your Sig :-)

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

mac_d wrote:It can be a little hard to judge as the pace of the Williams relative to Red Bull for example varied a lot. Mercedes were fastest at every circuit, 2nd fastest varied quite often back and forth between the RBR and Williams teams.

So a heroic performance at Circuit A to beat Ricciardo mihgt only require a lacklster performance at Circuit B and ight be nigh on impossible at the next circuit. However, barring hitting the wall in Australia he seemed to be pretty damn quick and pretty damn consistent all season long. With generally 2 (sometimes only one) Mercedes on the podium at any given race, scoring as many podiums as he did is still pretty impressive. Massa might not be the quickest guy in F1 looking at his performances from the last few years but beating Massa is still a feather in the cap.

Now, as to if he is over-rated, that depends on how everyone rates him compared to how I rate him. I think he shows promise. I hate when they say someone is a future champion as I think even with all the skill in the world you need to end up at the right place at the right time too. And while you can chose that via some knowledge and research, a part of it will always be dumb luck. I'd honestly consider Bottas to be in my "second" tier of drivers. I'd rate him similar to guys like Jenson Button.

I do expect that we'll see Bottas win a GP at some point. I'm hoping Williams grow some big metaphorical balls next season. I feel this year they were more focused on getting 3rd and a podium rather than risking it for 1st or 2nd. I can understand it a bit, especially after a bad season last year and given the chance that Merc would be 1-2 in any given race and be relatively unbeatable.
From Williams POV as a team it was job well done, they got their highest WCC placing in over a decade. It feels like a genuine revival like 2001 when it all started coming together with BMW.

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

How can Williams be accused of 'playing it safe for 3rd place rather than going for the win'. I don't get that, you go for the best strategy to suit your car and driver and try to finish as high as possible.

I've never heard a Williams race engineer say, "okay Felipe, we're going to go for the slightly sh*t strategy now as we don't want to risk winning this race."

It just doesn't make sense. They finished behind Merc all the time because they were slower. Even in AD you knew Lewis was controlling the gap and managing his car.

perfectlyGoodInk

Post by perfectlyGoodInk »

I think Bottas is on the edge of the top tier right now. Maybe somewhat overrated, but I think Ricciardo is overrated by this board because I don't think beating Vettel says as much as people think it does.
mac_d wrote:I do expect that we'll see Bottas win a GP at some point. I'm hoping Williams grow some big metaphorical balls next season. I feel this year they were more focused on getting 3rd and a podium rather than risking it for 1st or 2nd. I can understand it a bit, especially after a bad season last year and given the chance that Merc would be 1-2 in any given race and be relatively unbeatable.
Well, they were racing Ferrari, not Mercedes, and they won.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

I don't get this thread at all. From what I've noticed over the course of this season Bottas has received praise commensurate to his accomplishments and maybe some saying he could develop into WDC material. And somehow this becomes him being over rated?

The only young gun that I've seen called a future WDC outright is Ricciardo. While it may be the case no one was saying that until this year when was running at the front just like no one was singing Vottas' praises last year.

I think either one of them could pull of a title given the right car, but then again neither might not ever get that chance.
{Insert clever sig line here}

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Why do so many people claim that Williams had the 2nd best car?

They had at some races, and certainly towards the end, but I don't believe it was better than the Red Bull over the entire season. It also didn't help Bottas that Red Bull were a functionally better squad.

I thought he had a great season. Fantastic considering it was only his second. And only his first season dicing towards the sharp end.
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Jomox

Post by Jomox »

People have short memories so mostly remember stuff that happens in the last races.

Overall Bottas has easily beat Massa, just drifted a bit towards the end of the season, but mostly outpaced and out raced him on race day throughout the season. He's made some key mistakes tho, he's had chances to take a pole or two and maybe a win, but he is inexperienced and young.

Williams also messed up opportunities for him to get potential wins/and much better results with error's in their strategy come race day, this seems to mostly be something that needs improving for Williams to maximize their potential.

Massa's problem is consistency. And to be fair on him this is the first time he's had equal treatment in a while, so he was morally allot more up-beat, improving his performances on track as a result and probably maximizing his potential, which he has not done since 2008/before his accident.

And like someone else said he's only been praised byhis results and as a "potential" WDC.

Bottas looks to be a better driver than Kimi, and not far of Alonso already (With allot of room for improvement) Considering his age/experienced I would not call that overrated.
Last edited by Jomox on Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Crc

Post by Lord Crc »

Banana Man wrote:How can Williams be accused of 'playing it safe for 3rd place rather than going for the win'. I don't get that, you go for the best strategy to suit your car and driver and try to finish as high as possible.
They could turn down the engine a notch or two to prevent getting bitten by reliability (and thus grid place penalties). Better to finish 4-6ish in two races than 2-3 in one and out of the points in the next due to a 10 place grid penalty.

And they could instruct the drivers not to attack/defend too hard, to make sure there was no contact which would put them out of the race.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

This. It's amazing how many people lump him in with Dan. Daniel proved himself by beating a very strong teammate and winning races in a car that was not the best. Bottas didn't look any quicker than Massa. That's not an insult. Massa is a good driver but he's not a great one and neither is Bottas.

I don't think the Red Bull was better than the Williams this year. They beat them in the standings due to their superior driver line-up (and Massa's rotten luck). That's my take at least.

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

Lord Crc wrote:
Banana Man wrote:How can Williams be accused of 'playing it safe for 3rd place rather than going for the win'. I don't get that, you go for the best strategy to suit your car and driver and try to finish as high as possible.
They could turn down the engine a notch or two to prevent getting bitten by reliability (and thus grid place penalties). Better to finish 4-6ish in two races than 2-3 in one and out of the points in the next due to a 10 place grid penalty.

And they could instruct the drivers not to attack/defend too hard, to make sure there was no contact which would put them out of the race.
I can't think of any examples from last season where a Williams was in with a chance of an overtake but chose or were instructed not to.

I doubt they would be turning the engine down with a genuine chance of a win either. There is little point in turning it up to catch a Merc, as they will just do the same to maintain the gap.

purchville

Post by purchville »

RaggedMan wrote:The only young gun that I've seen called a future WDC outright is Ricciardo. While it may be the case no one was saying that until this year when was running at the front just like no one was singing Vottas' praises last year.

I think either one of them could pull of a title given the right car, but then again neither might not ever get that chance.
I agree with your last sentence. That remains to be seen, and most money would be on Mercedes taking both titles again in 2015.

In regard of the part in bold; there was a few of us, a clear minority, who predicted after announcement of his RBR signing, that Ricciardo would at least be a match for Vettel and might even beat him. That, by logical extension, means that we thought he was potential WDC material given the right circumstances. I came to this conclusion through watching the STR driver performances very closely throughout 2012 and 2013. Obviously, RBR came to the same conclusion.

As for Bottas, he's had a solid year, but nothing to completely convince me that he is WDC material yet. IMO, first he must improve his racecraft - in particular, the time it takes him to get past slower cars.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition:
- 6 victories (Germany '20, Italy '19, Mexico '18, Singapore '18, USA '17, USA '16, Mexico '16),
- 7 podiums
- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

Jomox

Post by Jomox »

sandman1347 wrote:
This. It's amazing how many people lump him in with Dan. Daniel proved himself by beating a very strong teammate and winning races in a car that was not the best. Bottas didn't look any quicker than Massa. That's not an insult. Massa is a good driver but he's not a great one and neither is Bottas.

I don't think the Red Bull was better than the Williams this year. They beat them in the standings due to their superior driver line-up (and Massa's rotten luck). That's my take at least.
Was you even paying attention to the season, or just watching the last few races? Bottas outpaced and outraced Massa massively come race day, and it's not down to Massa's rotten luck. He easily beat Massa "Over the course of the full season".

Anyone saying Bottas did not look any quicker than Massa clearly did not pay attention to the full season "overall". Massa just picked it up towards the tail end of the season, and Bottas dropped of a bit.
purchville wrote:
, first he must improve his racecraft - in particular, the time it takes him to get past slower cars.
This is another one, he shown immense race craft earlier in the year, some immense overtaking to get the car up the field after some mediocre qualifying performances/mistakes, he shown Massa how to actually race, and have proper race craft this season. He just made most of his mistakes in qualifying, but come race day he shown proper race craft and overtakes, and after some bad starts, and like the last race had a average race for his standards this season.

It's again a case of people only judging from the last few races, not the full season. Go back and watch the races again.