FIA rejected teams proposal pit lane lower speed limit

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Alex777

FIA rejected teams proposal pit lane lower speed limit

Post by Alex777 »

FIA rejected F1 teams propose to lower the pit lane speed limit during races and qualifying. The new plans that to lower the limit from 100km/h to 60 km/h for more safety. But race director Charlie Whiting has told them he feels there is no need to make the change as there is no evidence that the current arrangement is unsafe.

Reports - http://www.formula1onlive.com/2012/03/f ... limit.html

FaceLOL

Re: FIA rejected teams proposal pit lane lower speed limit

Post by FaceLOL »

:thumbup:

Nxet_DK

Post by Nxet_DK »

I can understand his counterargument, that lower the pit lane speed limit might lead to less pits stops. An approah which Pirelli is trying to differentiate.

OnAGivenDay

Post by OnAGivenDay »

My gut reaction is that it should be lowered as there were a few unsafe releases last year, but surely not to 60 km/h. A lot of the fun last season was wrapped around pit strategy and surely a speed limit that low would kill any benefit to a three stop strategy. Also imagine how incredibly boring it would be if the time in the pit lane (delta time as SpeedTV calls it?) took 10-15 seconds longer :uhoh:

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Isn't the speed limit lower on tracks like Monaco anyway?
eeee

mac_d

Post by mac_d »

I agree with Charlie in general, though maybe if the guys in the pitlane want it reduced, maybe we should listen.

That said, I still think current limits are pretty reasonable.

FaceLOL

Post by FaceLOL »

Okay, I've read a discussion on different forum and there was only one argument how it could be dangerous - if brake failure occurs. This happened in Belcar series last year at Zolder and I unfortunately saw this accident on YT while trying to see what people were talking about. Very violent thing, I strongly discourage people watching it, even more because it's a fatal accident (about what I learned even later...).

However with radio communication and pitlane speed limiters in place, I think it's a very small risk for F1.

phyz

Post by phyz »

Tough one this. It seems quite safe at the moment and we've never had a brake failure in pitlane for a long time, have we?

FaceLOL

Post by FaceLOL »

phyz wrote:Tough one this. It seems quite safe at the moment and we've never had a brake failure in pitlane for a long time, have we?

We didn't have brake failure at the end of long straight with tarmac runoff and hairpin, and this combination is by far more dangerous.

WebberFanBoy

Post by WebberFanBoy »

Alex777 wrote:FIA rejected F1 teams propose to lower the pit lane speed limit during races and qualifying. The new plans that to lower the limit from 100km/h to 60 km/h for more safety. But race director Charlie Whiting has told them he feels there is no need to make the change as there is no evidence that the current arrangement is unsafe.

yet there was evidence that the crash structure was unsafe? o.O

phyz

Post by phyz »

FaceLOL wrote:
phyz wrote:Tough one this. It seems quite safe at the moment and we've never had a brake failure in pitlane for a long time, have we?

We didn't have brake failure at the end of long straight with tarmac runoff and hairpin, and this combination is by far more dangerous.

Why would that be more dangerous? An unprotected front jackman being hit at 60 is worse than a driver going into the tyre wall at 200. I'd rather see brakes fail on a straight-hairpin type part of the circuit than the pitlane.

The only brake failure I can remember is Webber at Singapore and I think Red Bull knew that one was coming.

MclarenFl

Post by MclarenFl »

Yeah just keep it the way it is.

Jezick

Post by Jezick »

WebberFanBoy wrote:
Alex777 wrote:FIA rejected F1 teams propose to lower the pit lane speed limit during races and qualifying. The new plans that to lower the limit from 100km/h to 60 km/h for more safety. But race director Charlie Whiting has told them he feels there is no need to make the change as there is no evidence that the current arrangement is unsafe.

yet there was evidence that the crash structure was unsafe? o.O

Please explain?

2fast

Post by 2fast »

so glad that the proposal was rejected by FIA. :thumbup:

I like to see those F1 cars drive into the pit lane with full speed (around 200 MPH) like it used to be before the speed limiter was introduced
too fast to slow down

mnmracer

Post by mnmracer »

The difference between 60kph and 100kph in terms of both driver handling and getting hit by it, is next to nothing. It wouldn't have made much of a difference.

sultanofhyd

Post by sultanofhyd »

2fast wrote:so glad that the proposal was rejected by FIA. :thumbup:

I like to see those F1 cars drive into the pit lane with full speed (around 200 MPH) like it used to be before the speed limiter was introduced

Are you for real?
Apparently religious people didn't like my signature, hah! Don't read it if you are so offended by it.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

Yellowbin74

Post by Yellowbin74 »

Is there any possibility that it might have increased to on track action?

You could have a team running longer on their harder tyres to negate the extra time in the pits, versus a team that sticks on a set of new softs in an attempt to make up that extra time?

There's probably a hundred reasons why that wouldn't work, but just throwing it out there anyway.. :?:
Should I grow a beard?

lamo

Post by lamo »

Surely if all the teams agree they could implement a new speed limit under a gentlemans agreement? I suppose that will be open to abuse though as the FIA speed cameras would not operate at that speed.

DaveStebbins

Post by DaveStebbins »

As Montoya's accident at Daytona showed us, you can never know what will happen at a race.

However, my gut says that pit lane action is the most dangerous place at an F1 race these days. With unsafe releases and cars occasionally running side-by-side in pit lane, it is only a matter of time before cars touch wheels and one goes flying or sliding out of control among all those (relatively) unprotected people.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Does this mean Ferrari are not good on heavy fuel and are planning on doing lots of pit stops? :twisted:

Argentum

Post by Argentum »

2fast wrote:so glad that the proposal was rejected by FIA. :thumbup:

Just a stab in the dark here, but I'm guessing you don't work as part of a pit crew?

ToughGuy

Post by ToughGuy »

The FIA would have had their reasons for rejecting the 60 limit.
They usually Hey it right on the safety side.

Though have to admit, the pits are a dangerous place during racetime.
Why we sometimes see, pit crew getting taken out, cars clashing and fuel rigs leaving the pits

falconchris

Post by falconchris »

Does anyone have any data on the amount of time spent driving on the limiter during a pit stop?
I was assuming it was about 5 seconds on the limiter so a 60kph limit should add another 4 seconds onto a stop?

I am in favour as I think the pit stops are the most likely place for an accident to occur and are their to make the race exciting for us the viewers not inherent to the determination of which is the best car/driver.

Johnston

Post by Johnston »

falconchris wrote:Does anyone have any data on the amount of time spent driving on the limiter during a pit stop?
I was assuming it was about 5 seconds on the limiter so a 60kph limit should add another 4 seconds onto a stop?

I am in favour as I think the pit stops are the most likely place for an accident to occur and are their to make the race exciting for us the viewers not inherent to the determination of which is the best car/driver.

A total pitstop can be something like 20secs or more. Time in the pit box can be something like 4 secs by some teams. So you are talking around the 15second mark maybe more on the limiter.
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

MrMuttley

Post by MrMuttley »

Johnston wrote:
falconchris wrote:Does anyone have any data on the amount of time spent driving on the limiter during a pit stop?

A total pitstop can be something like 20secs or more. Time in the pit box can be something like 4 secs by some teams. So you are talking around the 15second mark maybe more on the limiter.

That sound close enough so translating that to a 60km/h limit would increase that to around 30 secs for the overall 'pit lane experience'

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

There is pit stop summary on official F1 site in race results.
eeee

falconchris

Post by falconchris »

Johnston wrote:

But that 20 seconds includes the approach from the track to the pit limited area and the exit from the limited area to the track neither of which would be affected by this proposal.

Johnston

Post by Johnston »

Clock starts and stops at the limiter line IIRC.
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."