The Ultimate Driver

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Black_Flag_11

The Ultimate Driver

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

We all have our opinion on who is the best driver, however even the greatest have flaws & areas where other drivers have been better.

So if you could combine 3 driver attributes (1 per driver) using any driver past or present, to create the ultimate driver, which would you pick?

So for example I will start with...

1. The speed of Clark
2. The racing brain of Prost
3. The overtaking/wheel to wheel abilities of Alonso

Obviously with so many greats it's hard to narrow down just 3 attributes but well that's all part of the fun. ;)

So, who is your ultimate driver?

AngusWolfe

Re: The Ultimate Driver

Post by AngusWolfe »

Alonso.
IV

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

AngusWolfe wrote:Alonso.

Short and sweet! Would have to agree with this nearly. Although, maybe:

Senna's unique in-the-zone pace
Schumacher's rain meister ability
Alonso's racing strategy
Prost's political tactics
Schumacher and Senna's ruthlessness
John Watson's overtaking skills :)
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Jeepkhana

Post by Jeepkhana »

Senna. End thread and lock it...

ob1kenobi.23

Post by ob1kenobi.23 »

1. The speed of Michael
2. The racing ability of Michael
3. The overtaking/wheel to wheel abilities of Michael.

I wish I could have more than 3
Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

wolfticket

Post by wolfticket »

I always though as much as people love/hate to compare, contrast and rate them against each other, if you combined the best aspects of Prost and Senna you'd have almost the perfect racing driver.

As for my third, well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlS2f2bu4gg
Maybe he doesn't bring much to the table driving wise, but I think he'd be worth it for his ability to set up a car :)
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

1) The mental discipline to go fast when asked, be virtually error-free, but also to be able to control the race or even manufacture a win from behind, like Prost or Schumacher
2) The ability to give quality feedback to the team and thus develop a well sorted car, like Mario Andretti.
3) For the commercial and fan side, a driver with good looks, the ability to almost always be politically correct and be articulate, a dedicated family man, and free of personal controversy.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Andretti for his ability to drive anything.
Schumacher for his ruthlessness.
Either Moss or Clark for plain old raciness.
{Insert clever sig line here}

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

Senna's speed
Schumacher's ruthlessness
Prost's brain
Damon's gentleman attitude
Maldonado's peripheral vision
#KeepFightingMichael

jono794

Post by jono794 »

Good thread! it's easy enough to build the ultimate driver from other drivers who were among the best anyway, but there are plenty of less successful drivers who did one thing extremely well, so I'm going to choose a few of them...

1. The development skills of Jabouille
2. The outright pace of a young Alesi
3. The aggression and general attitude of Keke Rosberg
"Guys I'm coming in, I'm having too much grip"
- Chanoch Nissany

stevey

Post by stevey »

Senna\Hamilton speed
Prost\Alonso racing brain
Schumachers ruthlesness
Hunts\Irvine party life style - to keep us entertained
Jesus Christs restoration powers - so he could bring a dead car back to life if suffering from a mechanical DNF :)

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

I wish I could have seen Fangio and Clark in action myself, but I was too young. But I have seen Prost, and I don't think he needs any other qualities than the ones he enjoys.

Would he have benefitted from less nervousness, like Räikkönen? Perhaps, perhaps not. But that is the only quality I might wish to add a whif of to Alain. But it's not even necessary.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Amon

Post by Amon »

Fiki wrote:I wish I could have seen Fangio and Clark in action myself, but I was too young. But I have seen Prost, and I don't think he needs any other qualities than the ones he enjoys.

Would he have benefitted from less nervousness, like Räikkönen? Perhaps, perhaps not. But that is the only quality I might wish to add a whif of to Alain. But it's not even necessary.

I have to agree. Alonso comes close to this too I must say. If only speed mattered than it would be Senna for me.

For me a combination of Senna and Prost/Alonso.
F1 fan since 1989

Amon

Post by Amon »

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:Alonso.

Short and sweet! Would have to agree with this nearly. Although, maybe:

Senna's unique in-the-zone pace
Schumacher's rain meister ability
Alonso's racing strategy
Prost's political tactics
Schumacher and Senna's ruthlessness
John Watson's overtaking skills :)

You should defintely have seen Senna racing in the wet...
F1 fan since 1989

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Marcus Winkelhock

Dominating by half a lap by Lap 2 of his debut GP
Led 100% of his GPs

/end thread
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Floppy_Boy

Post by Floppy_Boy »

mcdo wrote:Marcus Winkelhock

Dominating by half a lap by Lap 2 of his debut GP
Led 100% of his GPs

/end thread

In a SPYKER!!

F1yer

Post by F1yer »

Raw Speed of Vettel
Overtaking abilities from Kimi
Calmness of Nico Rosberg

runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Susie Wolff for her bottom. :nod:

mac_d

Post by mac_d »

Some kind of genetic demonoid creature comprised of:
Schumi, Senna and Prost. (Assuming their strengths and weaknesses don't all end up cancelling out and making a mediocre driver).

I'd chuck a little of Sir Stirling Moss in there to make sure the "fairplay" gene is up to scratch.

Then you'd have a genius, consistent, fast as hell, exciting, intelligent racer.

Bit of a cheat really to put the 3 of the top 4 of all time in but why not.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Alonso + the raw qualifying speed of Senna. Alonso's achilles heel (if he has one) is that he is not so extraordinary in single qualifying laps.

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

Tazio Nuvolari might be worth a mention here, although most of us are a little too young to have seen him race. I'm aware as mods we shouldn't take sides but this is a man who when racing bikes with broken legs decided to get his mechanics to tie him to the bike and push-start him. And he seemed no slower for the injuries.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Jeepkhana wrote:Senna. End thread and lock it...

Potentially one of the most flawed champions there has ever been. He was great, but he was far from perfect.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Arai_or_Nothing

Post by Arai_or_Nothing »

MistaVega23 wrote:2. Senna's Ruthlessness
Schumacher's Speed
Prost's brain
Damon's gentleman attitude
Maldonado's peripheral vision

Your first 2 are a bit mixed up. Has there ever been anyone more arrogantly and openly ruthless??!??
People would literally move out of his way out of fear he'd wreck them for being in HIS way! No LOL

For me I would have to opt for these guys for what they displayed to the world throughout their complete careers.

1. Michael Schumacher (the most well rounded driver we have likely ever seen. Superior in the wet, more superior under ideal conditions, ability to drive around a car's short comings unlike anyone else)
2. Mario Andretti (An innate ability to drive literally anything and to provide crucial feedback to aide development. The blueprint for Robby Gordon, though Gordon did so in a whole other era, where doing what Mario did was quite a bit more difficult in that in Mario's day, teams had much greater freedom to produce vastly different systems and technologies that resulted in vaster differences between cars. his one flaw I'd say he's the ultimate nice guy who loves and is loved by everyone and had he been ruthless would have achieved even more!!!)
3. Alain Prost (never has there been a more calculating and PATIENT driver in F1 history. He knew when he had to push and when he's have to force his rivals to push and to what limit in order to have more towards the end of races. They don't call him the Professor for nothing)
3. Ayrton Senna (the fastest of the fast when he was in the zone and equally as brilliant as Michaelin the rain, possibly a touch better in the wet. IMPOSSIBLE to decide who was better in trying conditions between them. His attitude and behavior ultimately affects his all-time status for me)
3. Nelson Piquet Sr. (talk about a guy who literally knows a whole lot of everything about cars, and just an intelligent guy who knew precisely what needed to be done to his cars set up to maximum capacity)
4. Lewis Hamilton (just an immense talent who understands how to find a car's limit and then figures out areas in which he can push harder to squeak out faster laps than we thought were possible. In many regards quite Senns-Esk without the recklessness. People aren't afraid to go wheel to wheel with Lewis)
4. Fernando Alonso (he's a bit of Prost and Schumacher in a single package. Perhaps a little too much Prost and not enough Michael.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Some people seem to be working with alternate base number systems where anything from 6-9 equal 3 in base 10.

chaz986

Post by chaz986 »

Senna for the driving,
Prost for the thinking,
Mansel for his heart,
Nikki for his strait talking.
So my frankenstinian creature would be called Senpro Manik

Arai_or_Nothing

Post by Arai_or_Nothing »

nixxxon wrote:Alonso + the raw qualifying speed of Senna. Alonso's achilles heel (if he has one) is that he is not so extraordinary in single qualifying laps.

I think you miss Alonso's methodology which is much like that of Prost. He thinks mostly about Sunday and does what he needs to get his car as high up as possible without risking too much. Come Sunday though, he's as focussed and as precise as anyone which is why we see him finishing higher than people expect when they base it off his qualifying position. Of course, being a better qualifier would do wonders for him, but I think he's doing quite well as is.

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

chaz986 wrote:Senna for the driving,
Prost for the thinking,
Mansel for his heart,
Nikki for his strait talking.
So my frankenstinian creature would be called Senpro Manik

That's my driver name in F1 2014 sorted.
IV

Honda Quick

Post by Honda Quick »

The qualy lap focus of Senna / Vettel.
The race day speed and consistency of Alonso.
The love for his crew of Schumacher.
The sheer class of Clark / Gurney.
The lack of fear in the face of death of Villeneuve.
The kinship to their teammate of Stewart.
The wheel-to-wheel ability of Hulkenberg.
The developmental prowess of Andretti.
The enigmatic reputation of Raikkonen.
The engineering background of Donahue.
The Suzuka hairpin divebomb overtake of Kobayashi.
The ability to win their home grand prix of Hamilton.
The smile beaming through his helmet of Ricciardo.
The Monaco pool jumping ability of Webber.
The ability to swallow a last lap, last corner WDC defeat while just driven the race of their life of Massa.

:-P :thumbup:
[ Kimi Raikkonen ]
2007 Formula 1 World Drivers Champion

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Arai_or_Nothing wrote:
nixxxon wrote:Alonso + the raw qualifying speed of Senna. Alonso's achilles heel (if he has one) is that he is not so extraordinary in single qualifying laps.

I think you miss Alonso's methodology which is much like that of Prost. He thinks mostly about Sunday and does what he needs to get his car as high up as possible without risking too much. Come Sunday though, he's as focussed and as precise as anyone which is why we see him finishing higher than people expect when they base it off his qualifying position. Of course, being a better qualifier would do wonders for him, but I think he's doing quite well as is.

There you go, this thread is about the ultimate driver. No driver is perfect, neither Alonso, but we just try to imagine it here.

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

P-F1 Mod wrote:Tazio Nuvolari might be worth a mention here, although most of us are a little too young to have seen him race. I'm aware as mods we shouldn't take sides but this is a man who when racing bikes with broken legs decided to get his mechanics to tie him to the bike and push-start him. And he seemed no slower for the injuries.

Yee Haw, I can carry the banner from here.

Nuvolari, because he raced in the interwar years, is often overlooked. But anything you hear about the man places him in the company of greats. Ferdinand Porsche called him "the greatest driver of the past, the present, and the future." His status was such that at his funeral in 1953 Juan Manuel Fangio and Alberto Ascari, heroes of the post-war world championship era, carried his coffin. One of his rivals called him "the boldest, most skilful madman of all". His exploits are legendary, and "The Impossible Victory" is one of the all-time great motor races. Just Google "1935 German Grand Prix". http://www.grandprixhistory.org/ger1935.htm

Lauda, because of his incredibly strong mechanical aptitude, ability to set up a car, and using his brain during a race.

Blake

Post by Blake »

As the quest is for the "ultimate driver", as a single driver over the period of racing history, not just F1, then I guess I will submit the name of Mario Andretti with Stirling Moss running close behind. I have great appreciated for well-rounded drivers as opposed to pretty much single focus drivers... hence Nuvolari, Andretti, Moss, Gurney, Donohue, AJ Foyt, Rick Mears tend to top my consideration list for ULTIMATE driver. Special consideration to the liked of Hawthorn & Surtees for the 2 wheel and 4 wheel excellence.

Now, if we are going to combine qualities of drivers to make one.....

Jimmy Clark, Michael Schumacher, Mark Donohue, Gilles Villeneuve ought to make for one fast, smart, versatile, and courageous driver!!!
:)
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Mod Aqua
Site Admin

Post by Mod Aqua »

Jeepkhana wrote:Senna. End thread and lock it...

Ok, don.... wait a minute. You nearly tricked me.

oz_karter

Post by oz_karter »

Ok, so I put all the mentioned desirable attributes into a mix, baked it and it came out with:

Daniel Ricciardo

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

F1yer wrote:Raw Speed of Vettel
Calmness of Nico Rosberg

This. :thumbup:

Benici

Post by Benici »

bourbon19 wrote:
F1yer wrote:Raw Speed of Vettel
Calmness of Nico Rosberg

This. :thumbup:

No it's supposed to be about the ultimate driver. Not the most boring driver.

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

The single lap pace of Senna.
The racecraft of Schumacher.
The modesty and courtesy of Fangio.
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

hittheapex wrote:The single lap pace of Senna.

:thumbup: Since the thread was started I've been thinking about it, but couldn't come up with the perfect combination.

Both Senna and Schumi were extremely fast during the race, but I never really though Schumi was a GREAT qualifier - whereas from what I can gather Senna was a great qualifier.

Schumi's racecraft in all conditions was about as good as it gets.

My stumbling block was that the 'ultimate' also needed a great driver who was also a 'gentleman' on track - and as these were all before my time, I had no idea. Would Moss also fit into this category?

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

LKS1 wrote:

:thumbup: Since the thread was started I've been thinking about it, but couldn't come up with the perfect combination.

Both Senna and Schumi were extremely fast during the race, but I never really though Schumi was a GREAT qualifier - whereas from what I can gather Senna was a great qualifier.

Schumi's racecraft in all conditions was about as good as it gets.

My stumbling block was that the 'ultimate' also needed a great driver who was also a 'gentleman' on track - and as these were all before my time, I had no idea. Would Moss also fit into this category?

Since Moss handed over his car (and ultimately the title) to his team mate I'd say he fits the bill.

Amon

Post by Amon »

Let me add the intelligence of Alain Prost and his way to nurse his cars to still get the best result possible instead of a DNF.
F1 fan since 1989

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

Amon wrote:

Let me add the intelligence of Alain Prost and his way to nurse his cars to still get the best result possible instead of a DNF.

But Schumi was even better. Continuing and finishing a race with nothing other than 5th gear was pretty amazing and no-one believed it until the data proved it was true. Like Prost, Schumi didn't over-push the car once he had a good enough advantage - better to reduce the strain on the car than show-off for glory.

Prost was a great driver, but his F1 racing intelligence was no better than Schumi's. So even though I was thinking Prost should be there somewhere - I couldn't think of any aspect where Prost reigned supreme.