Le Mans 2014 Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Pedrosa_4_Ever

Le Mans 2014 Thread

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

Just thought I'd get the ball rolling with the Le Mans thread...

Massive crash for Duval and the #1 Audi in practice today, sounds like he's ok but it was a hell of an impact:
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Floppy_Boy

Re: Le Mans 2014 Thread

Post by Floppy_Boy »

:thumbup: Porsche look like they're nowhere in comparison to Audi and Toyota after practice, which is a little disappointing to see. Definitely think sports car and endurance racing is enjoying something of a modern golden age since the formation of the World Endurance Championship in 2012. I think this year is the year Toyota finally manage to win. The Davidson/Lapierre/Buemi trio have won the first two races and Toyota look quick at Le Mans so far. The caveat to that is the R18 has never yet been beaten at Le Mans. Qualifying up next at 21:00 GMT.

As usual, the field this year comprises of a number of ex-Formula 1 drivers; Lucas Di Grassi, Alexander Wurz, Stéphane Sarrazin, Kazuki Nakajima, Anthony Davidson, Sébastien Buemi, Nick Heidfeld, Mark Webber, Mika Salo, Marc Gené, Christian Klien, Karun Chandhok, Gianmaria Bruni, Giancarlo Fisichella, Shinji Nakano, Jan Magnussen, Pedro Lamy and Bruno Senna.

Complete entry list is provided below.
http://www.24h-lemans.com/en/race/entry ... _1980.html
Last edited by Floppy_Boy on Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

What happened? When I watched the interview during practice with Audi boss, he didn't know what happened. Was the crash so bad that it wasn't shown on tv??
eeee

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Floppy_Boy wrote::thumbup: Porsche look like they're nowhere in comparison to Audi and Toyota after practice, which is a little disappointing to see. Definitely think sports car and endurance racing is enjoying something of a modern golden age since the formation of the World Endurance Championship in 2012. I think this year is the year Toyota finally manage to win. The Davidson/Lapierre/Buemi trio have won the first two races and Toyota look quick at Le Mans so far. The caveat to that is the R18 has never yet been beaten at Le Mans. Qualifying up next at 21:00 GMT.

As usual, the field this year comprises of a number of ex-Formula 1 drivers; Lucas Di Grassi, Alexander Wurz, Stéphane Sarrazin, Kazuki Nakajima, Anthony Davidson, Sébastien Buemi, Nick Heidfeld, Mark Webber, Mika Salo, Marc Gené, Christian Klien, Karun Chandhok, Gianmaria Bruni, Giancarlo Fisichella, Shinji Nakano, Jan Magnussen, Pedro Lamy and Bruno Senna.

The Toyota seems quick, but I wouldn't write any conclusions until race. They all will be sandbagging during practices and qualifying.

One question, Audi just lost one car??
eeee

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

Floppy_Boy wrote::thumbup: Porsche look like they're nowhere in comparison to Audi and Toyota after practice, which is a little disappointing to see. Definitely think sports car and endurance racing is enjoying something of a modern golden age since the formation of the World Endurance Championship in 2012. I think this year is the year Toyota finally manage to win. The Davidson/Lapierre/Buemi trio have won the first two races and Toyota look quick at Le Mans so far. The caveat to that is the R18 has never yet been beaten at Le Mans. Qualifying up next at 21:00 GMT.

Given that is the first year for Porsche, it's a little harsh to expect them to right on the money straight away, maybe next year or the year after that once they've developed a real understanding of the car...
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

dizlexik wrote:What happened? When I watched the interview during practice with Audi boss, he didn't know what happened. Was the crash so bad that it wasn't shown on tv??
I think it was missed by the cameras as they did show the aftermath on a cctv feed.
dizlexik wrote: One question, Audi just lost one car??
Heard reports that they're already building up another chassis.

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Floppy_Boy

Post by Floppy_Boy »

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:Given that is the first year for Porsche, it's a little harsh to expect them to right on the money straight away, maybe next year or the year after that once they've developed a real understanding of the car...
I know, a bit of me had just hoped for a fairytale victory upon their return. If they can sneak one of their cars onto the podium I think that'll be a job well done.

Floppy_Boy

Post by Floppy_Boy »

Link for live streams in English and French.

English: http://www.24h-lemans.com/live/en

French: http://www.24h-lemans.com/live/fr

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

Given that is the first year for Porsche, it's a little harsh to expect them to right on the money straight away, maybe next year or the year after that once they've developed a real understanding of the car...
This is what rational people know.

However some other sites that I frequent that have a lot of Porsche fans believe that they'll rule the world from the get go.
{Insert clever sig line here}

wolfticket

Post by wolfticket »

@Audi__Sport:
Examinations in the hospital of Le Mans have confirmed that @loicduval is unhurt apart from two grazes to the skin #R18 #LM24 @FIAWEC
From this:

I've said it before, but that LMP1 safety cell is unbelievable.
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

Bentley were. They won it I seem to recall
No offence to porche. But they should of kept to LMP 2 insteadof coming up to LMP 1.
If they are using the hybrid. Why could they not make a LMP 2 category like with LMP 1. I'm sure the other CSR. The McLaren p1 would fit into LMP 2 as well.

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

wire2004 wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

No offence to porche. But they should of kept to LMP 2 insteadof coming up to LMP 1.
If they are using the hybrid. Why could they not make a LMP 2 category like with LMP 1. I'm sure the other CSR. The McLaren p1 would fit into LMP 2 as well.
Bentley were basically another Audi team, it was a slightly different scenario (they also won it in 2003 after first entering in 2001).

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

wire2004 wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

I think the way the rules are now there's no incentive for manufacturers to get involved in LMP2 anymore.
{Insert clever sig line here}

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Best week of the year for me. Loads of evening practice and quali, team presentation in the town of Le Mans on Friday night, historic racing to watch Saturday morning and then the single greatest motorsport even in the world.

My visits to Le Mans rate as higher than any other motorsport events I've ever attended, and that includes being a Ferrari fan at Monza.

IT'S STUNNING!!!!!

Plus my wife if away for the weekend making me watching hours and hours of motorsport less guilt ridden than normal!
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Do these cars do the Silverstone Endurance race? I think it was in April.

Floppy_Boy

Post by Floppy_Boy »

runningman67 wrote:Do these cars do the Silverstone Endurance race? I think it was in April.
Yeah, that was round 1 of the WEC. Le Mans is round 3 and (rightly so, being four times the length of every other race on the calendar) is worth double points towards the championship.
Last edited by Floppy_Boy on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

Is it all on Eurosport this weekend as usual. Friday and Saturday night off. So will give it a look.

Mod Grey

Post by Mod Grey »

All on Eurosport.

Only seen a couple of photos of the Duval incident, it amazes me just how safe the Audi's are. The session that's on right now had mention of Audi already trucking a new chassis down to the track and hope to have it ready ASAP.

runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Floppy_Boy wrote:
runningman67 wrote:Do these cars do the Silverstone Endurance race? I think it was in April.
Yeah, that was round 1 of the WEC. Le Mans is round 3 and (rightly so, being four times the length of every other race on the calendar) is worth double points towards the championship.
Thanks. I'm going to try and go in 2015. I was ill this year x(

Floppy_Boy

Post by Floppy_Boy »

runningman67 wrote:
Floppy_Boy wrote:
ALMOST made it this year! My mates were gonna surprise me for my birthday and all 3 of us were gonna go, because neither of them can make it to the British Grand Prix and they're dying to get back to see something (2012 was their last live experience). But one of them couldn't get the weekend off work. Would love to go to next year's, but might just skip it (end of April is exam time so an 800 mile round trip isn't very responsible) and go on a road trip to Le Mans to celebrate graduating!

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

runningman67 wrote:
Floppy_Boy wrote:
You were Ill. What's the lottery results for Saturday???

runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

wire2004 wrote:
runningman67 wrote:
Floppy_Boy wrote:
You were Ill. What's the lottery results for Saturday???

pmsl

ill :lol:

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

Is it worth having a "NowTV month pass" for the weekend of Le Mans or would a couple of day passes be more worthwhile?

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

flyboy10 wrote:Is it worth having a "NowTV month pass" for the weekend of Le Mans or would a couple of day passes be more worthwhile?
I don't know the full details and costs but it might be worth checking out eurosport's own service (think it's called Eurosport player) if you just want to watch Le Mans. Possibly would be cheaper than Now.

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114403

Duval out (presume due to concussion precautions), Gene in.

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Aussie Grit

Post by Aussie Grit »

Bad quality and not in english.
http://youtu.be/bDcOy45PVeI
Supporting Alonso, Ricciardo and Hulk.

Find it hard to resist responding to stupid posts.

Glen C.

Post by Glen C. »

http://www.24h-lemans.com/wpphpFichiers ... actice.pdf

http://www.24h-lemans.com/wpphpFichiers ... ice_01.pdf

Sandbagging? Caution?

Too soon to say and today is a new day. Unfortunately, we must wait for evening sessions.

Cheers

GC

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:Is it worth having a "NowTV month pass" for the weekend of Le Mans or would a couple of day passes be more worthwhile?
I don't know the full details and costs but it might be worth checking out eurosport's own service (think it's called Eurosport player) if you just want to watch Le Mans. Possibly would be cheaper than Now.
Thanks. I'd forgotten that Eurosport do this. I actually already have an account with them from when I watched the race in whatever year it was when Villeneuve drove the Peugeot.

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Mod Grey wrote:All on Eurosport.

Only seen a couple of photos of the Duval incident, it amazes me just how safe the Audi's are. The session that's on right now had mention of Audi already trucking a new chassis down to the track and hope to have it ready ASAP.
Given that M. Alboreto lost his life in 2001 driving for Audi, they must be safest, else, with any new fatality the Audi brand would be at stake.
The end is near

M.Nader -DODZ-

Post by M.Nader -DODZ- »

Looks like the Porsches are good.

I am supporting them all the way

Sevenfest

Post by Sevenfest »

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Eurosport are charging £3.50 for unlimited access to the whole event apparently, so it's much cheaper

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

This is my first time really getting into Le Mans 24hours. I was just wondering: Mark Wevver had the fastest time in qualifying yesterday night, only for the session to be red flagged by a crash, does that mean he is on pole or was that like Q1 or something?

I'm probably looking a bit ignorant atm lol
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Glen C.

Post by Glen C. »

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:This is my first time really getting into Le Mans 24hours. I was just wondering: Mark Wevver had the fastest time in qualifying yesterday night, only for the session to be red flagged by a crash, does that mean he is on pole or was that like Q1 or something?

They have 3 separate qualifying sessions, the grid is decided by the fastest times across all 3 sessions, it doesn't matter which driver in the car sets the time. Each driver also has to set a minimum of three hotlaps in the dark.

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Toby.

Post by Toby. »

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Schumacher forever#1 wrote:This is my first time really getting into Le Mans 24hours. I was just wondering: Mark Wevver had the fastest time in qualifying yesterday night, only for the session to be red flagged by a crash, does that mean he is on pole or was that like Q1 or something?

They have 3 separate qualifying sessions, the grid is decided by the fastest times across all 3 sessions, it doesn't matter which driver in the car sets the time. Each driver also has to set a minimum of three hotlaps in the dark.
So fastest aggregate time over the three sessions? I've been watching the WEC races but haven't been paying too much attention to the technicalities of it all.

Floppy_Boy

Post by Floppy_Boy »

I'm not completely clued up, but 5 night laps are obligatory for all drivers, so that's partly the purpose of last night's session. But you're right, that was only Q1 and so he's only on provisional pole. Second qualifying is underway just now and final qualifying begins later tonight at 21:00 GMT. I think the reason for three sessions to to allow everyone an opportunity to set a representative lap, and the rules for qualifying in the WEC is quite complicated; the two fastest laps from the two fastest drivers are combined and then the average from these four times is the final lap time

Edit: Just read the rules and it states "Article of the Sporting Regulations of the 2014 FIA World Endurance Championship not valid during the qualifying practice sessions of the 24 Heures du Mans", and as P4E correctly says, the grid is formed "in order of the best times achieved by the fastest driver of each team during the qualifying practices".

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

Toby. wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

So fastest aggregate time over the three sessions? I've been watching the WEC races but haven't been paying too much attention to the technicalities of it all.
No, just the fastest time out of all the sessions.

If I set a fastest time of 3:23 in one session, 3:24 in the next and 3:22 in the final one, then the 3:22 is used.

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

huggybear

Post by huggybear »

Has there been any changes to the track surface in the Porsche curves for this year? We've had a lot of big crashes there already so far, and I don't remember that happening last year?

Floppy_Boy

Post by Floppy_Boy »

So, after that anti-climactic finish to the final qualifying session, it's the #7 Toyota on pole.

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Floppy_Boy wrote:

I'm not completely clued up, but 5 night laps are obligatory for all drivers, so that's partly the purpose of last night's session. But you're right, that was only Q1 and so he's only on provisional pole. Second qualifying is underway just now and final qualifying begins later tonight at 21:00 GMT. I think the reason for three sessions to to allow everyone an opportunity to set a representative lap, and the rules for qualifying in the WEC is quite complicated; the two fastest laps from the two fastest drivers are combined and then the average from these four times is the final lap time

Edit: Just read the rules and it states "Article of the Sporting Regulations of the 2014 FIA World Endurance Championship not valid during the qualifying practice sessions of the 24 Heures du Mans", and as P4E correctly says, the grid is formed "in order of the best times achieved by the fastest driver of each team during the qualifying practices".
Ok, thanks for the insight :)
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"