Driver of the race?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules

Driver of the race?

Ricciardo
100
61%
Rosberg
31
19%
Vettel
4
2%
Button
4
2%
Hulkenberg
1
1%
Alonso
0
No votes
Bottas
0
No votes
Vergne
0
No votes
Magnussen
0
No votes
Raikkonen
0
No votes
Sutil
0
No votes
Massa
3
2%
Hamilton
6
4%
Perez
14
9%
 
Total votes: 163

benmc
Posts: 1396
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:17 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by benmc »

funkymonkey wrote:
benmc wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:What was clear to see is that Renault's engine disadvantage is rather small, whereas Ferrari's is huge.


Renault's engine deficit is huge. Vettel had the quickest Renault powered car in the field and he couldn't pass Hulkenberg, who had the slowest Mercedes powered car and tyres that were half a race older than Vettel.

Perez would have finished second if he hadn't developed brake issues. If a Williams, McLaren or Force India can make a one-stop work in Austria, they will beat Red Bull. I guarantee it. I can see a Merc 1-2, Williams 3-4 and a one-stopping Force India being 5th

Alonso couldnt pass Renault TR powered car in front of him on track. He had to get it done in pits. What does that say about Ferrari at this point?


I don't disagree about Ferrari. I disagree with the observation that Renault's engine disadvantage is small. Both Renault and Ferrari are light years away from Merc. It's going to be hilarious when we see Red Bull and Ferrari scrapping for a distant 9th place in Monza.
I don't follow F1 so I don't know what I'm talking about

User avatar
POBRatings
Posts: 3193
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:06 am
Contact:

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by POBRatings »

Imo Rosberg had the toughest race, first holding off Hamilton then managing his car with a couple of issues.

Paolo_Lasardi
Posts: 2649
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 2:04 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

benmc wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
benmc wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:What was clear to see is that Renault's engine disadvantage is rather small, whereas Ferrari's is huge.


Renault's engine deficit is huge. Vettel had the quickest Renault powered car in the field and he couldn't pass Hulkenberg, who had the slowest Mercedes powered car and tyres that were half a race older than Vettel.

Perez would have finished second if he hadn't developed brake issues. If a Williams, McLaren or Force India can make a one-stop work in Austria, they will beat Red Bull. I guarantee it. I can see a Merc 1-2, Williams 3-4 and a one-stopping Force India being 5th

Alonso couldnt pass Renault TR powered car in front of him on track. He had to get it done in pits. What does that say about Ferrari at this point?


I don't disagree about Ferrari. I disagree with the observation that Renault's engine disadvantage is small. Both Renault and Ferrari are light years away from Merc. It's going to be hilarious when we see Red Bull and Ferrari scrapping for a distant 9th place in Monza.


Two remarks:

First, Red Bull-Renault just won the race on one of the two most radical engine circuit all year, beating soundly Williams, FI and McLaren (all Mercedes-engined cars).

Second, Ferrari is way behind Renault in terms of power. There will no 'scrapping' among Ferrari and RBR-Renault in Monza.

benmc
Posts: 1396
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:17 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by benmc »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:First, Red Bull-Renault just won the race on one of the two most radical engine circuit all year, beating soundly Williams, FI and McLaren (all Mercedes-engined cars).

Second, Ferrari is way behind Renault in terms of power. There will no 'scrapping' among Ferrari and RBR-Renault in Monza.


If you think Red Bull beating Williams, Force India and McLaren says anything about engine power, you are kidding yourself. Red Bull generates so much more downforce than McLaren/Force India/Williams in corners, that the straight line speed advantage of the Mercedes becomes nullified.

We saw how badly Force India are lacking in downforce yesterday. Rosberg, with a damaged car, pulled away from Perez by half a second in the first sector on every lap. That is proof that downforce can still triumph even on a track like Canada. If straight line speed were the be all and end all, like it is at Monza, Perez would have passed Rosberg with ease.
I don't follow F1 so I don't know what I'm talking about

babararacucudada
Posts: 1675
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:08 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by babararacucudada »

I voted Ricciardo.

Rosberg drove a good race. Held off Hamilton in the first lap.

Rosberg asked what brake balance Hamilton was using. I would expect he did that so he could switch to the same setup. From the stress in Rosberg's voice, I reckon they knew they were maybe going to have braking problems and he wanted to mirror Hamilton's setup because the both of them would be likely to have the same fate, and Rosberg is currently ahead in the WDC.

When the K failed, he was then 160hp down, the rear brakes were being overloaded and he had lost the fuel economy system. He was having to use the front tyres more heavily so had to make an extra pit stop. He also had no DRS because he was in front, so I think he drove very well to stay in front as long as he did.

Paolo_Lasardi
Posts: 2649
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 2:04 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

benmc wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:First, Red Bull-Renault just won the race on one of the two most radical engine circuit all year, beating soundly Williams, FI and McLaren (all Mercedes-engined cars).

Second, Ferrari is way behind Renault in terms of power. There will no 'scrapping' among Ferrari and RBR-Renault in Monza.


If you think Red Bull beating Williams, Force India and McLaren says anything about engine power, you are kidding yourself. Red Bull generates so much more downforce than McLaren/Force India/Williams in corners, that the straight line speed advantage of the Mercedes becomes nullified.

We saw how badly Force India are lacking in downforce yesterday. Rosberg, with a damaged car, pulled away from Perez by half a second in the first sector on every lap. That is proof that downforce can still triumph even on a track like Canada. If straight line speed were the be all and end all, like it is at Monza, Perez would have passed Rosberg with ease.


I was answering to your claim that Red Bull would fall behind all the Mercedes teams and fight for P9 (with Ferrari). That clearly will not happen because they have a far superiour car - and good to see that you agree with me.

benmc
Posts: 1396
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:17 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by benmc »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
benmc wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:First, Red Bull-Renault just won the race on one of the two most radical engine circuit all year, beating soundly Willims, FI and McLaren (all Mercedes-engined cars).

Second, Ferrari is way behind Renault in terms of power. There will no 'scrapping' among Ferrari and RBR-Renault in Monza.


If you think Red Bull beating Williams, Force India and McLaren says anything about engine power, you are kidding yourself. Red Bull generates so much more downforce than McLaren/Force India/Williams in corners, that the straight line speed advantage of the Mercedes becomes nullified.

We saw how badly Force India are lacking in downforce yesterday. Rosberg, with a damaged car, pulled away from Perez by half a second in the first sector on every lap. That is proof that downforce can still triumph even on a track like Canada. If straight line speed were the be all and end all, like it is at Monza, Perez would have passed Rosberg with ease.


I was answering to your claim that Red Bull would fall behind all the Mercedes teams and fight for P9 (with Ferrari). That clearly will not happen because they have a far superiour car - and good to see that you agree with me.


And I was responding to your original claim, that the Renault PU only has a small disadvantage compared to Mercedes. That just isn't true at all. The Renault PU is still miles behind.

I was wrong about Ferrari, so I will reword my claim: It will be hilarious in Monza when Red Bull are fighting for P9 and Ferrari are fighting for P11.

I guarantee Red Bull will be the fifth fastest car in Monza. You can still be competitive in Canada if you have good downforce & a weak PU, but in Monza, you cannot.
I don't follow F1 so I don't know what I'm talking about

pokerman
Posts: 35703
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by pokerman »

Has to be Ricciardo for a well deserved win especially given his season so far.

Also good drive by Rosberg to finish second in his crippled car
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 164 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

pokerman
Posts: 35703
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by pokerman »

TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:Dan did an incredible race and I didn't see a single mistake but I have to go with Perez today. Sorry.

There would be case for Perez if not for the last lap crash with Massa for which he was at fault
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 164 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

Paolo_Lasardi
Posts: 2649
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 2:04 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

benmc wrote:
I guarantee Red Bull will be the fifth fastest car in Monza.


Nope! (In many regards ...)

User avatar
TakumaSatoforthewin
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:53 am
Location: York, United Kingdom.

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by TakumaSatoforthewin »

pokerman wrote:
TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:Dan did an incredible race and I didn't see a single mistake but I have to go with Perez today. Sorry.

There would be case for Perez if not for the last lap crash with Massa for which he was at fault

Ah but was he? Only two people know whether it was or not so one of them must be lying. I'm sticking with Perez because really that should have been Hulkenberg up there holding off the Red Bulls but Sergio had him well beaten and he gets kudos for that from me.

pokerman
Posts: 35703
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by pokerman »

TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:
pokerman wrote:
TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:Dan did an incredible race and I didn't see a single mistake but I have to go with Perez today. Sorry.

There would be case for Perez if not for the last lap crash with Massa for which he was at fault

Ah but was he? Only two people know whether it was or not so one of them must be lying. I'm sticking with Perez because really that should have been Hulkenberg up there holding off the Red Bulls but Sergio had him well beaten and he gets kudos for that from me.

Well the racing line goes to the right but Perez chose to drive to the left were Massa's car was heading, 5 place grid penalty for Perez says it all
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 164 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

mikeyg123
Posts: 18104
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:
pokerman wrote:
TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:Dan did an incredible race and I didn't see a single mistake but I have to go with Perez today. Sorry.

There would be case for Perez if not for the last lap crash with Massa for which he was at fault

Ah but was he? Only two people know whether it was or not so one of them must be lying. I'm sticking with Perez because really that should have been Hulkenberg up there holding off the Red Bulls but Sergio had him well beaten and he gets kudos for that from me.

Well the racing line goes to the right but Perez chose to drive to the left were Massa's car was heading, 5 place grid penalty for Perez says it all


So i assume you think the stewards are right every time then ;)

User avatar
TakumaSatoforthewin
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:53 am
Location: York, United Kingdom.

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by TakumaSatoforthewin »

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:
pokerman wrote:
TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:Dan did an incredible race and I didn't see a single mistake but I have to go with Perez today. Sorry.

There would be case for Perez if not for the last lap crash with Massa for which he was at fault

Ah but was he? Only two people know whether it was or not so one of them must be lying. I'm sticking with Perez because really that should have been Hulkenberg up there holding off the Red Bulls but Sergio had him well beaten and he gets kudos for that from me.

Well the racing line goes to the right but Perez chose to drive to the left were Massa's car was heading, 5 place grid penalty for Perez says it all


So i assume you think the stewards are right every time then ;)

Exactly. I call conspiracy theory! :)

pokerman
Posts: 35703
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:
pokerman wrote:
TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:Dan did an incredible race and I didn't see a single mistake but I have to go with Perez today. Sorry.

There would be case for Perez if not for the last lap crash with Massa for which he was at fault

Ah but was he? Only two people know whether it was or not so one of them must be lying. I'm sticking with Perez because really that should have been Hulkenberg up there holding off the Red Bulls but Sergio had him well beaten and he gets kudos for that from me.

Well the racing line goes to the right but Perez chose to drive to the left were Massa's car was heading, 5 place grid penalty for Perez says it all


So i assume you think the stewards are right every time then ;)

Yes in their apportion of blame, they also gave Rosberg a warning for taking a shortcut, i might argue for instance that Perez should have been given a 10 place grid penalty?
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 164 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

mikeyg123
Posts: 18104
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:So i assume you think the stewards are right every time then ;)

Yes in their apportion of blame, they also gave Rosberg a warning for taking a shortcut, i might argue for instance that Perez should have been given a 10 place grid penalty?
[/quote]


I think this weekend proves what a hard job the stewards have. I would suggest the only way forward is to try and avoid penalise racing incidents. Only penalise for acts of huge stupidity or deliberate acts. Let's not punish the racers for trying to race, even if it occasionally goes wrong.

pokerman
Posts: 35703
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:So i assume you think the stewards are right every time then ;)

Yes in their apportion of blame, they also gave Rosberg a warning for taking a shortcut, i might argue for instance that Perez should have been given a 10 place grid penalty?



I think this weekend proves what a hard job the stewards have. I would suggest the only way forward is to try and avoid penalise racing incidents. Only penalise for acts of huge stupidity or deliberate acts. Let's not punish the racers for trying to race, even if it occasionally goes wrong.[/quote]
If there is quite a serious crash and someone is too blame then the guy needs to be penalised
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 164 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

User avatar
Amon
Posts: 3479
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by Amon »

Perez made a good start and few first laps passing Button I think. That force India seems easy on the tyres and that's what Perez likes. It's how he often got good results with Sauber.
F1 fan since 1989
Image

govettel
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by govettel »

wire2004 wrote:The most pointless poll in the history of polls
that's not true. it tells us that 38% of the voters are delusional for voting anybody other than ricciardo.

funkymonkey
Posts: 1892
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:04 am

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by funkymonkey »

benmc wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
benmc wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:What was clear to see is that Renault's engine disadvantage is rather small, whereas Ferrari's is huge.


Renault's engine deficit is huge. Vettel had the quickest Renault powered car in the field and he couldn't pass Hulkenberg, who had the slowest Mercedes powered car and tyres that were half a race older than Vettel.

Perez would have finished second if he hadn't developed brake issues. If a Williams, McLaren or Force India can make a one-stop work in Austria, they will beat Red Bull. I guarantee it. I can see a Merc 1-2, Williams 3-4 and a one-stopping Force India being 5th

Alonso couldnt pass Renault TR powered car in front of him on track. He had to get it done in pits. What does that say about Ferrari at this point?


I don't disagree about Ferrari. I disagree with the observation that Renault's engine disadvantage is small. Both Renault and Ferrari are light years away from Merc. It's going to be hilarious when we see Red Bull and Ferrari scrapping for a distant 9th place in Monza.


I think the big Mercedes advantage is now only limited to factory team. Renault is now much closer to Merc if you look at yesterday's race. Barring courageous defence mounted by Force India at front thanks to crazy strategy, RedBull was able to take the fight to other Merc powered cars. On similar tyres, Williams were not able to defend against or catch and pass RedBull. Same with TR. Teams had to get the job done in the pitlane to pass those TR cars.
Factory Merc team has tremendous drivability and chassis advantage. But RedBull is clearly next best team and Renault the next best engine at this moment and much closer to Merc than what it was couple of races in.

benmc
Posts: 1396
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:17 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by benmc »

govettel wrote:
wire2004 wrote:The most pointless poll in the history of polls
that's not true. it tells us that 38% of the voters are delusional for voting anybody other than ricciardo.


I suspect this is going to be a highly unpopular opinion around here - and don't get me wrong, I am thrilled Ricciardo won, and he definitely deserves to be a winner on current form - but I feel like the race kind of fell into his lap.

He was running in a de facto P5 when Hamilton broke down. Then Red Bull's strategy with Vettel was highly questionable, though Dan definitely deserves credit for some excellent laps at the end of that stint. After that, all he did was pass two damaged cars. If Perez's Force India hadn't have developed brake problems a few laps before the end, I don't think Ricciardo would have passed him. Dan had a 8 or 9/10 drive, but I was more impressed by Rosberg managing his issues, and Button beating two Ferraris and a Williams in a slower McLaren.
I don't follow F1 so I don't know what I'm talking about

oz_karter
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:29 am

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by oz_karter »

benmc wrote:
govettel wrote:
wire2004 wrote:He was running in a de facto P5 when Hamilton broke down. Then Red Bull's strategy with Vettel was highly questionable, though Dan definitely deserves credit for some excellent laps at the end of that stint. After that, all he did was pass two damaged cars. If Perez's Force India hadn't have developed brake problems a few laps before the end, I don't think Ricciardo would have passed him. Dan had a 8 or 9/10 drive, but I was more impressed by Rosberg managing his issues, and Button beating two Ferraris and a Williams in a slower McLaren.


Fair points, but I don't think Perez's "brake problems" were that severe and maybe more of a factor was how long he had been on the tyres.

Dan held off running at Perez for a long time and I believe this gave him the tyres to make the pass when it counted. No doubt about it, he didn't have an easy way past Perez and it took serious balls and skill to get around in the fashion he did. How often do F1 cars pass on the grass?!

Dan had to make that pass at that time - it was the only time he got a better exit and could get up the inside. One opportunity and he made it count - that's why I believe he is driver of the race.

Dan is still very much a rookie and to have the aggression to do what he did and the control to make it stick are very promising signs for his future. Many newer drivers would have sat in 3rd and collected a podium.

User avatar
Covalent
Posts: 10175
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by Covalent »

oz_karter wrote:
benmc wrote:
govettel wrote:
wire2004 wrote:He was running in a de facto P5 when Hamilton broke down. Then Red Bull's strategy with Vettel was highly questionable, though Dan definitely deserves credit for some excellent laps at the end of that stint. After that, all he did was pass two damaged cars. If Perez's Force India hadn't have developed brake problems a few laps before the end, I don't think Ricciardo would have passed him. Dan had a 8 or 9/10 drive, but I was more impressed by Rosberg managing his issues, and Button beating two Ferraris and a Williams in a slower McLaren.


Fair points, but I don't think Perez's "brake problems" were that severe and maybe more of a factor was how long he had been on the tyres.

Dan held off running at Perez for a long time and I believe this gave him the tyres to make the pass when it counted. No doubt about it, he didn't have an easy way past Perez and it took serious balls and skill to get around in the fashion he did. How often do F1 cars pass on the grass?!

Dan had to make that pass at that time - it was the only time he got a better exit and could get up the inside. One opportunity and he made it count - that's why I believe he is driver of the race.

Dan is still very much a rookie and to have the aggression to do what he did and the control to make it stick are very promising signs for his future. Many newer drivers would have sat in 3rd and collected a podium.

Regarding the bolded bit; Perez' race engineer tol him the brakes were gone and he should decide for himself if he should still continue racing or retire. Smedley was furious at Perez and at the fact he was still on the track with such dangerously bad brakes.

User avatar
jimmypickle
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:08 am
Location: UK

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by jimmypickle »

Dani Ric. Fantastic guy and fantastic driver, I actually want Red Bull to be dominant again just for the fight between him and Vettel, that would be exciting.

angrypirate
Posts: 704
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:24 am

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by angrypirate »

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:
pokerman wrote:There would be case for Perez if not for the last lap crash with Massa for which he was at fault

Ah but was he? Only two people know whether it was or not so one of them must be lying. I'm sticking with Perez because really that should have been Hulkenberg up there holding off the Red Bulls but Sergio had him well beaten and he gets kudos for that from me.

Well the racing line goes to the right but Perez chose to drive to the left were Massa's car was heading, 5 place grid penalty for Perez says it all


So i assume you think the stewards are right every time then ;)

Yes in their apportion of blame, they also gave Rosberg a warning for taking a shortcut, i might argue for instance that Perez should have been given a 10 place grid penalty?

I think the fact they only gave Perez a 5 grid penalty shows that they think its not 100% his fault. I think they would have slapped him with license penalty points too if they thought it was completely his fault. I cant help but think Massa always is too risky in his passing / getting past manouvres. I reckon a driver like Alonso would have had the awareness and avoided contact. I do recognise that Perez moved over to the left slightly in the braking zone but Massa wasnt alongside him at this point - he was fully behind behind him. Shame because up to that point both drivers had been driving well.

An error from Perez in moving left slightly in the braking zone whilst still fully ahead of Massa and Massa failed to take avoiding action.

User avatar
speedysoprano
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:52 pm
Location: Londonish

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by speedysoprano »

benmc wrote:
govettel wrote:
wire2004 wrote:The most pointless poll in the history of polls
that's not true. it tells us that 38% of the voters are delusional for voting anybody other than ricciardo.


I suspect this is going to be a highly unpopular opinion around here - and don't get me wrong, I am thrilled Ricciardo won, and he definitely deserves to be a winner on current form - but I feel like the race kind of fell into his lap.

He was running in a de facto P5 when Hamilton broke down. Then Red Bull's strategy with Vettel was highly questionable, though Dan definitely deserves credit for some excellent laps at the end of that stint. After that, all he did was pass two damaged cars. If Perez's Force India hadn't have developed brake problems a few laps before the end, I don't think Ricciardo would have passed him. Dan had a 8 or 9/10 drive, but I was more impressed by Rosberg managing his issues, and Button beating two Ferraris and a Williams in a slower McLaren.


I see your point and disagree. It took a lot of guts and skill to make those opportunities count.
1)Team Daniel.
2)Team Lewis.

Reluctant Red Bull Fan - they just keep hiring Aussies.

Zoue
Posts: 25158
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by Zoue »

Has to be Ricciardo for me. Did the best with the equipment he had and never stopped fighting. Rosberg did a really good job managing his car but it just shows how much of a car advantage the Mercedes team have that he could nurse such a serious fault and still nearly end up winning the race. Kimi managed some good overtakes but blew it with the spin. Alonso was reasonably anonymous and did nothing special (or bad, for that matter). Perez did a great job IMO and but for the last minute crash would have been a contender. Finally, Button drove a canny race but also got a bit lucky right at the end, it has to be said!

mikeyg123
Posts: 18104
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by mikeyg123 »

Perez
Rosberg
Ricciardo

Perez for me because he he was making a one stop work and maybe could have won the race if he had not had break failure. he made the pass of the race on Button without DRS and beat his higher rated team mate yet again. Involved in a racing accident with Massa. These things happen.

Rosberg would be next because of the way he dealt with all his issues was hugely impressed. Slightly less impressed with his start but all is fair in love and war.

Then Ricciardo. He did all he needed to do but things did fall into place for him somewhat.

User avatar
mcdo
Posts: 10289
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by mcdo »

Went for Rosberg because he still very nearly made it a win
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

pokerman
Posts: 35703
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by pokerman »

angrypirate wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:Ah but was he? Only two people know whether it was or not so one of them must be lying. I'm sticking with Perez because really that should have been Hulkenberg up there holding off the Red Bulls but Sergio had him well beaten and he gets kudos for that from me.

Well the racing line goes to the right but Perez chose to drive to the left were Massa's car was heading, 5 place grid penalty for Perez says it all


So i assume you think the stewards are right every time then ;)

Yes in their apportion of blame, they also gave Rosberg a warning for taking a shortcut, i might argue for instance that Perez should have been given a 10 place grid penalty?

I think the fact they only gave Perez a 5 grid penalty shows that they think its not 100% his fault. I think they would have slapped him with license penalty points too if they thought it was completely his fault. I cant help but think Massa always is too risky in his passing / getting past manouvres. I reckon a driver like Alonso would have had the awareness and avoided contact. I do recognise that Perez moved over to the left slightly in the braking zone but Massa wasnt alongside him at this point - he was fully behind behind him. Shame because up to that point both drivers had been driving well.

An error from Perez in moving left slightly in the braking zone whilst still fully ahead of Massa and Massa failed to take avoiding action.

Yes i think there are some legs in that, Perez and Massa was a bit of a rock and a hard place, change one or the other with some other drivers and there would have been no crash
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 164 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

AnRs
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:19 am

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by AnRs »

Ricciardo a no brainer, but Rosberg honorable mention for keeping Lewis behind both at start and during race, and finishing with a broken car

Post Reply